Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    That was my point initially, which I forgot in the inside/outside debate. You do not want 2 different tread patterns on the drive wheels. Best to put it on the rear. Even better if you put 2 tires of the same tread pattern on the rear or front.

There has been some debate on whether to put the best tread on the front or rear. If you have ABS, putting the best tread on the rear will aide the driver in controlling stability, but will hamper traction for accelerating, cornering, and braking. Without ABS, the stability advantage is lessened as braking becomes more of a concern. Cornering is not much of a concern because the car will just understeer more which is generally considered safe behavior for left-hand drive vehicles. Acceleration traction also is less of a concern since you can just let off the throttle to control wheel spin. Pretty much, it comes down to a case of braking vs. stability. Personally, I would choose stability, but to each his own.
  • I think there are many potential problems here. Any time the car is close to the edge, whether braking, accelerating or cornering, losing grip on one side can turn you around [and around, if you are going fast enough]. Depending on the situation, it could be the new or old tire that breaks free. The new tire would be less likely to hydroplane, due to deeper tread, but the old tire might have better dry road adhesion.

All things considered, I would put the dissimilar tire on the back and drive like the road is always ice covered.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    ... and since I've been in TWICE since my last rotation-and-balance for them to take another WHACK AT IT after getting on the highway and experiencing VIBRATION CITY, I'm gonna take it in today ... even though it's been only 2K since my last rotation/balancing..

I know, I know ... should take it to a real tire shop. But I just love those free rotations and balancings ... if they get it right this time, I'll stay. If not, I'll drop 20 bucks and get a tire shop to do it. (I'm starting to question the "balance every time you rotate" thing anyway. Seems just when everything's smooth and wonderful, they re-balance and all is crap again!)

BTW, they'll be using those weights that stick onto the inside of the wheel ... no weights will be visible from the outside of the tire. I had a Saab that had those weights a few years back. I kinda liked the unbroken appearance of the rims -- I only wish this could've been done from the beginning, since after 62,000 miles I've got plenty of scars on my rims from weight changes!

(Yesssss, I know ... I'm 2K overdue for my 60K-mile major service. I'm looking under my seats and beneath the sofa cushions, trying to find $250 in spare change ...)

Y'all have a good week -- I'll be back Friday. Taking two days of comp time to ... er ... "enjoy" painting the trim on the house ...

Meade
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    I agree with you, Sepang Green just doesn't look good on cars. My wife spotted a Protege sedan in that color yesterday and actually was impressed enough to tell me how much she disliked it. She normally doesn't care about how cars look.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    On the PRO it doesn't look good I agree, but the shape of the M6 allows it to look classy and more expensive than it is.

Just my opinion...

Dinu
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    Sepang is the light puky color on the M6.

The Protege, on the other hand, has a richer (but still not-great-looking) Seabreeze Green. No mazda or review website or brochure photo seems to do justice to either color - you have to see them in person. IMHO, anything but the Emerald Mica Green (really dark, almost black) doesn't suit either the M6 or the Pro.
  • bluem6ibluem6i Posts: 77
    To each his own. I have an 02 LX PRO in Seabreeze. IMHO, it's the best looking color on the PRO. I get a lot of compliments on the color. I don't see very many so it makes mine kind of exclusive.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    I came across a brand new 2003 Pro LX with Auto for $11,800. not entirely sold on buying it new as I've seen two 2001 Pros that sold for 7k this week (I missed them...bummer). Decisions, decisions...
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I checked back, maybe not far enough, I don't recall saying I did not like Sepang Green. It is a nice color. The Seabeeze Green (thought it was Seafoam Green for some reason) is different, not as much metal flake. You have to like green in just about any shade to buy a green car.

The only problem I have with Sepang is it's hard to photograph and get the exact shade. The metal flake is highly reflective with the lightest shades of the color photographing as greys. AND the less than inspirational name. Mazda seems to have a problem with that too, no imagination. It isn't very cool to give colors names their buyers don't recognize.

I have problems with Seabreeze Green too. Hard to visualize seas as green, most are vivid blue. Fresh water is green. But it says *breeze*, which has no color at all. Sometimes I think they grab people off the street and drag them in to make these decisions.

Can hardly wait for fall when people start chatting again.

fowler3
    I got the greens mixed up. Green was never my favorite color on a car anyway, (except that nice dark green on the Miata, and the dark metallic green on the Protege). I guess it's the lighter shades of green I don't like.

I don't know where they're coming up with these names, but you know someone at MNAO approved them. What's "Sepang" anyway?
    You almost dissed me but you quickly redeemed yourself.

Meade
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    ... just caught our tongues (or keystrokes) in time, realizing we had a strong contingent of Mica Green owners here. And by strong I mean numbers. Only.

Ooops, did I say that out loud?
  • kizer4kizer4 Posts: 12
    Blueguydotcom,
    Where have you been able to find a new LX auto for 11.8K? I'm in NY and wondering if I could get one near that price?
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    I had gotten a green Protege. He associates green strongly with our gutless neighbor country. India's neighbor, not USA's
    When I posted my qualification on green on cars. :)

Seriously though, I like the dark metallic greens, but find the light greens kind of pallid. Ick. Not for me.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    San diego. It's a mica blue one. Their final price is 12300 but I get another $500 off for the college grad stuff (finished grad school under 2 years ago).
  • kizer4kizer4 Posts: 12
    Rochester, NY here. I just graduated too, I was quoted $13K for a LX auto that includes the college rebate. I'm gonna see if I could get it down to $12K or close enough. I loved the test drive, a lot more than the civic. thanks for the reply
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    One of the many loaners I drove when I had my VW was this color. It wasn't too bad a color really, IMO.
  • tom4321tom4321 Posts: 4
    I think it's gone. www.protegeclub.com
    I tried to get to it but i can't.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    wwww.mazda6club.com
  • is the feeling in your stomach when the boat is rocking on a heavy sea.
    Especially since it's also GREEN!!!

Meade

P.S. For the record you guys -- it ain't "green mica." It's "Emerald Mica."
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    *I don't know where they're coming up with these names, but you know someone at MNAO approved them. What's "Sepang" anyway?*

Seapang is the name of a Formula-1 race track in Malasia that opened last year. That's why it has no meaning to us.

I've had green cars before, didn't keep them long, but it wasn't because of the color. A 1951 Morris Minor, a 1977 Audi Fox, and a 1972 Buick Riviera. Sold the first because I was returning home from 3 years in Germany. Sold the Audi because of alternater problems. Sold the Riv because of the 1973-74 Oil Embargo.

The Riv was definately Emerald Green, not almost black like the Pro. The brightest green I have ever seen on a car, with sandlewood (very light beige) vinyl seats and roof trim. It was the boat-tailed version. Also, after a bad ear infection I couldn't stand the wallowing Buick cars have over the smallest bumps.

A 1974 Audi Fox introduced me to firmer suspension - loved it. The first time I drove it over twisty mountain roads, I turned around and went back over the same mountain three times before continuing on my trip.

The scariest trip I have ever driven was in the Swis Alps in 1971. I had rented a Simca, about the size of our Pros. On coming down from the highest mountain pass in the Alps the brakes failed. That road had twists like Pike's Peak -- not curves -- switchbacks, no guard rails, and straight down drops.

fowler3
    Thanks for that bit of trivia.

Sounds like you know how to live well. :)

Luckily for us, you lived through that Simca. Thank goodness for good brakes.
    How'd you stop? What happened? Go airborne and land in a hay barn beside two guys blowing Alpine Horns and shouting, "Ricola!!!"????

Meade
  • tom4321tom4321 Posts: 4
    How'd you stop? don't keep us in suspense. I remember the Simca. Wish i could have driven one. (Not the one you had though-Ha Ha)
    C'mon, folks! Let's be consistent! One day we're No. 1 in the Town Hall, next day we have NO POSTS AT ALL?!

Here's one for ya. I'm still excited this morning after following a brand-new RX-8 out of my neighborhood! Gotta find out which neighbor has the new toy!

Meade
  • protegenicprotegenic Posts: 199
    Yesterday on the way home from refinancing the house, I convinced the wife to swing by the dealership to look at the RX-8. Great looking car. I can really see her in something like this in the next few years. Of course, I can see me constantly "borrowing" it as well.

Protege news...

My 15 year old son appears to be getting the hang of driving a manual. After getting frustrated early, he has resolved himself to learning so he can take this car next year. Last night he was so cocky, he was deliberately stopping on uphills so he could practice his starts! It is interesting to watch though. While he is figuring out the clutch, he is very timid to give it much gas. It just takes practice I guess. Any tips by those who have taught others would be appreciated though as I might have missed some nugget of wisdom.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    I learned to drive stick on a 94 Saturn SL1 where you had to give it LOTS of gas.

It's easy to learn on any Honda/Acura tranny - they're very forgiving.

Dinu
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    RX-8 that is. I might as well stay off topic too!

Buddy of mine in Cali went and test drove the 8. Probably would have bought one if they weren't jacking the price 2k over sticker. Liked driving it, was a bit disappointed in rear seat room.

I was hoping he'd have it by the time I head out there in November, but I doubt prices will change much by then.