Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    glad to hear it was smooth sailing through the whole trip!
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    Which one rides better over bumps? I don't know, but it is easy to guess. Still, one I can afford and the other I can't even come close. I'd be happy to test them both, though.

BTW (protegenic), 1/4 to 1/3 is "less than half as much." ;-)
    Innocent until proven guilty?

Typos are made, numbers are switched accidently, people get crossed up on hp at the wheel vs hp at the crank, correction factors for altitude get messed up, etc

I'm not exonerating Mazda, I'm just not ready to crucify them either.

If they test it again, and the results come up about the same, then I'll join you in the lynching. ;-)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Think Mazda would try to give out false hp numbers especially in light of the fairly recent Miata screw up.

Maybe the guy's with the dyno messed up somewhere in their testing?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Glad to see you are back and you had a safe trip.

So did your friend share the driving with you, or did you end up driving almost the whole way like I did when my friend and I came to Chicago? :)

I drive alot more than he does anyway, and like it alot more than my friend does. So that explains why I drove more before getting tired than he did.
  • protegenicprotegenic Posts: 199
    Sorry. I guess I'm too used to critizing my wife's methods of rounding to make a deal sound more favorable! I agree with you though. One I can afford and the other I can only drool in my dreams about!

Dale, I took that same stretch of Hwy 30 a couple of years ago in my Protege and it is a lot of fun. Probably even more so in a stick. Never spent as much time in 3rd gear over that long a stretch of road in my life, but boy was it fun!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    The jury is still out on the Mazdaspeed warranty. Wait until they have it all put together before too many assumptions have been made.

BTW, in general, more engineering goes into a Mazdaspeed part than the typical aftermarket item. Also, the Mazdaspeed group has access to all the original engineering data.
    Glad to hear the jury is still out on that one.

I realize Mazda has access to more data on the car, and that Mazda will spend good time engineering their upgrades, but companies like Corksport aren't exactly new to the game of tuning Proteges. Which one I'd choose, in lieu of my Mazda warranty, would depend upon how closely they're priced. We shall see. I'll give Mazda a fair shot for my business, I promise.
    Corksport sells a ton of Mazdaspeed...
    In the performance part business, if the hook is that you can install it on your car without voiding the factory warranty, that to me is big. If it's that the engineering is demonstrably better than the competition (better performance, better reliability, etc.), that to me is big. If a manufacturer is willing to truly stand behind their product when it does not work properly, that to me is big. I will personally determine how much extra I'm willing to pay for such things and go from there.

After that, the parts can have blue ovals on them for all I care. I'm interested in reliable performance, not cool stickers for my car. But hey, that's just me. ;-)
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    The warranty clause is right in the mazdaspeed franchise agreement that we signed this week.
    Call it CYA for things to come. There is still question as to whether certain parts will or won't affect factory warranty.

Things like putting a turbo on a car without a beefed up clutch, etc...
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Hank: Thanks for the welcome back. Yeah, everything went just fine. Many, many bugs gave their lives so that my car could go those 1800 miles. :)

Marty: I'm sure that stretch of 30 would be very different with a stick. Still pretty cool with the AT, however.

Paul: Well, my friend and I shared most of the driving. She let me do the first four hours yesterday morning, since it was raining and we were on the PA Turnpike, and she's especially scared of that for some reason. In deference to her scarediness and the weather, I tried to keep my speed down to about 70 or so.

Definitely not rush-hour-in-Chicago driving.

:)

--Dale
  • theparallaxtheparallax Posts: 361
    Here's a one minute long sound clip of my engine w/ the Injen CAI installed. In real life it doesn't sound as raspy but you get the idea:

http://www.knology.net/~negatize/images/injen.wav

• tomcivilettitomciviletti Posts: 207
    I don't think the speed rating is significant unless you do much driving on the autobahn or Montana interstates.

But I do think you will find weak points in the kumhos vs dunlop5000s [based on tirerack.com data:

Kumhos will be noisier and have less starting traction, longer braking distances, and less cornering grip on dry and wet surfaces. They will also wear faster unless you are a very hard driver.
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Posts: 207
    Where did you mike?
    Where did I put the mike?

Close to the battery terminal underneath the hood. I used an extension to have enough wire to run into the cabin.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    so you wired a mike into the engine bay and just drove around? NICE!!!!
    Basically...yep!
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Thanks for the opinion on the speed rating.

Where are these supposed weak points you speak of documented? According to the TireRack.com survey data, the Kumhos rank higher in most categories. The Kumhos have the edge in Hydro Resistance, Cornering Stability, Noise Comfort, Treadwear, and the all-important Would Buy Again? category. The Dunlops beat out the Kumhos in Wet Traction and Steering response, both by 1/10 of a point. They tied in Dry Traction and Ride Comfort. Most importantly, the Kumhos are $29 less per tire in my size.

The Dunlops haven't exactly worn well as far as I am concerned. At 15,000 miles, I have 3/32" of tread depth left. I am going to rotate them in August when I change the oil, and then I will probably get replacements the end of September before I take a long trip. I may drive a little hard, but not so hard that the tires should wear like that. The wear is even, so it does not appear to be a symptom of any other problems.

References:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+Supra+712#Survey

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Sport+5000+M#Survey