Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Don't let them pick on you just because you are the girl of the group. Shame on you guys!

I don't know what's up with the whole wax thing. I guess it makes the car look better, but white cars (like mine and Dale's) always seem to look clean anyway, no matter how dirty they are. I guess waxing is good for the paint, but I don't have the room (although not as limited as Dale's) to do it at home.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Wax is a barrier between your car's paint and the environment. Wax does not only look better, it is helping your paint stay looking newer longer.

You don't need space to wax...only time. If you can walk around your car, you can wax it.
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    Yes, it's good for the paint. But hey, if you're only going to keep the car two years, why bother? ;-)
    Why bother changing the oil too then I guess??
    Good point. Let's ask. Paul, what about changing the oil? (J/K) ;-)
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Yokohama Paradas all the way...

Yakohama your Momma! ;-)
    Very funny. I only kept the Protege 8 months, but I still took good care of it. All the maintenance was done on time and everything, and the car was washed all the time (especially because it was black). I always keep the maintenance up. I never waxed a car before though. I would probably just take it somewhere, because I always seem to be busy doing something on weekends and don't have the time to do it.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    Take it from the owner of a white Mazda Protege - that waxing makes a HUGE difference! And Dale and Paul have both seen the difference - or at least the result of a good waxing, on my car.Trust me - waxing makes the paint color appear much richer & deeper and keeps the dust/dirt of longer, and doesn't allow water to dry on the car. Instead rain water beads and flows off, or leaves, at the most, bead-shaped dried spots - very easy to wipe off with just a cloth or a California Duster!

Don't knock it till you've tried it!

In fact, my car is due for another coat soon, depending on the weather - and now that I have a digital camera, I'll take a few before and after shots for your benefit.
    Like I said, I seem to just be in the car all the time, and it's pretty hard to wax and drive at the same time. :) My dad always is on me about waxing and stuff like that. My answer to him is usually to do it if he wants to, and I will pay him for his time and pay for the wax. I told him you only do it every year though, and I haven't had a car since the 99 Protege (traded 2/01) for over a year. :)
    I wax my car every time the water (rain or wash) stops beading satisfactorily (which, again, is subjective).

So, for the 18 odd months that I have been waxing the car, I have waxed approximately every 3-5 months (less often in winter - for obvious reasons).

What about the rest of you? I know we could take this to the Waxes board, but I'd like to know what the average duration-between-waxes over on 'our' little board is, first.
    I too wax when the water stops beading. I seem to get around 6-8 months.
    What kind of wax are you using?
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Everyone's talking about wax.

:-D
    I started with Turtle Wax, and switched (after some good advice from many here and elsewhere) to Meguiar's (not Gold Class, the basic one). HUGE difference! (with Meguiar's being better)
  • theparallaxtheparallax Posts: 361
    I usually start off by washing the car thoroughly, then use the following products:

Mother's Clay Bar
    3M Imperial Hand Glaze
    3M Show Car Wax

It gives the car a very deep rich looking shine. On my light colored car (Sand Mica) it's not going to be noticeable, but it is to me. Makes the car look new again.
    I use Mother's 3-step "Ultimate" wax system. Usually, I only use steps 2-3...step 1 is a little agressive to be used more than 1-2 times a year.

With a "pure" Carnauba wax I find that 2-3 months is the max that it will last. Beads start to get larger and shine is lessened.

I don't know of any wax that will last longer than 5-6 months, except MAYBE some polymers.
    The once a year (yeah, right) car polish.

I used to use this, but switched last time (a few months ago) to Meguiars.
    Which Meguiar's products specifically?
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    so how do you compare the Meguiars to the Nufinish? I also use the Nufinish (applied twice on my 1 year old P5) and generally happy with the result beside the fact that the roof rack becomes white. ;-). I want to try the Meguiars and appreciate if you can give a quick evaluation.

Bruno
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I used Nu Finish exclusively for years. Then, on the advice of some of the folks who were here two years ago, I bought a bottle of Meguiar's Gold Glass. The shine is much deeper and the paint looks richer than with the Nu Finish. And don't kid yourself guys -- Meguiar's Gold Class is just as capable of leaving white residue on plastic and other non-painted surfaces (though I will admit not quite as much) as Nu Finish is. The logical way to prevent this is to be careful! The Meguiar's is a little harder to remove than the Nu Finish was, at least here in humid Virginia -- if you don't buff it well it leaves swirl marks -- and the pungent sweet odor takes some getting used to. This is one wax that doesn't smell like petroleum! All in all it's worth the switch and the slightly higher price. Hell, how long does a bottle of wax last you anyway? Two years? Three? I wax my Protege (there! it's an on-topic post, ha) about three times a year.

Meade

P.S. Let's all pray the Love Train doesn't read the last dozen posts. Get Larry started on car detailing and LOOK OUT! ;-)