Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Reminds me of our "rollaway Civic". Boy were we glad to get rid of that thing.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    I don't want to get rid of my Protege...in spite of all our adventures, I think it's a great car!! :)
    We just refuse to drive a car with paintwork.

We have our fifth Civic Si.
    2 2000's, 2 2002's, and my current 2003.

We like Accords too
    1 1999 EX sedan, 1 2001 EX-V6 coupe, 1 03 EX-L coupe, and one 04 EX-L sedan.

I think my next car is gonna be that Subaru Legacy GT unless Honda puts out a 4WD V6 Accord.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    You might want to buy a 3 with xenon lights...sounds like there might be a night vision issue.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    "Yeah....Those meteors are all over."

Meteor showers are more common than seeing a "herd" of deer crossing the road. I live in MN and I have NEVER seen more than a couple deer crossing the road at the same time. It's not often that cars get hit by meteors, but it does happen:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/03/28/meteor.shower.ap/

My point was that hitting a deer is bad luck and there usually isn't anything you can do to prevent it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that more people in Civics (cause there's more of them) have hit deer than Proteges, you just don't hear about it on townhall.
    "I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that more people in Civics (cause there's more of them) have hit deer than Proteges, you just don't hear about it on townhall."

My point exactly. I remember a couple years ago about three Pros hit deer in a couple months span. Heard about em all right here in this limited forum. Uncanny.

I bet at least one of the cars damaged by the meteor was a Protege. LOL...
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    A couple years ago, one of those Proteges was mine. I hit a deer in my Protege. Speaking of hitting deer and bad luck, have any of you seen this before?

http://www.snopes.com/photos/durango.asp

This happened about 4 miles away from where I live. I drive on 394 everyday on the way to work and back.
    We could come up with plenty.

No googling necessary in this room though. Stuff just happens to you guys all by itself. Maybe it's not the cars. Maybe it's the owners.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Its kind of funny. When they see your coming right at them they just stand there. One way the deer move out of your path when you are driving is if you flick your headlights on and off. Its funny the deer don't see a big piece of metal coming at them but flicking the headlights on and off just scare the living heck out of them. Deer are beautiful animals but the have no street smarts(no pun intented on that one.)

As for Protege's and Civic's hitting maybe deer just find Civic's and Protege's cute looking cars.

I hit a cat while driving my Mazda 626 once.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    ~1,000 miles: '89 Toyota collides with driver's side corner; car "repaired" with parts re-installed upside down. I raise a fuss and they turn them right-side up.

You are lucky -- some technicians would have turned all the other parts upside down and then flipped the car over. ;)

fowler3
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Didn't you leave out something?

Window-related? At a traffic light?

You're probably the only one of us to have had an, er, "unwanted" object smash a side window ...

Meade
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    ...I forgot about my windows.

~12,000: The dealer changes the oil, changes the wiper blades, and cracks the windshield. They replace the windshield.

~18,000: Thug smashes my passenger side window and grabs my purse while I'm at a red light.

~30,000: Thug smashes my rear quarter window overnight and takes a bunch of stuff he'll never be able to use, and about 65 CD's. >:-[ (And before you all start hollering at me about leaving stuff in my car, I wasn't parked out on the street...I was parked in my building's "secure" lot.)
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    I keep nothing in my car and I stopped carrying a purse after the third beating. Can't a man feel like a man and still carry a purse?

I've found I can leave any of my cars unlocked and nobody bothers with them. But then again, there's nothing in my cars! You're lucky to find 6 CDs. Why only 6? that's all my changer will hold, so why carry more?

Seriously , I've left my old Jetta with the windows and moonroof open all day many times while I was at the ocean in Pacific Beach (an area known for frequent thefts and all manner of hooliganism). nobody ever stole anything. ever. Not even the car - which was my hope.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,068
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!
    The chat room opens 15 minutes before the scheduled chat time, so come early and get a good seat! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    So shiny and sparkly. :)

But someone put another door ding into it (dang!!!). Probably blinded by the reflections off my bright red Pro.

And to keep the peace at home, I washed and de-tarred my wife's P5 too, though I think the silver doesn't sparkle as much. :)
    Took advantage of the sunny, mild, 75-degree day and spent a few hours putting a new coat of Meguiar's Gold Class on Zoomster.

Sparkly and smooth as glass, and more deep, reflective Emerald Mica'ey than ever!!!

Meade
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    for you to wash and wax my P5!

Where o' where do you find 4 hours for your car. I just can't seem to do it.
    I dunno ... but it was time well spent!

Meade
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    My car hasn't been washed in 2 months. I have a good excuse though. It's name is Leon and he is 5 weeks old. Thank goodness my car is silver.
    It cost me $21.50 to fill up my Protege yesterday!!!

Meade
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Posts: 314
    My 03 DX automatic came back from the body shop Tuesday afternoon, and I'm delighted to say that there is no evidence whatsoever that it was rear-ended by a semi. The paint is perfect, there are no squeeks and rattles (at least none that weren't there before the crash) and everything appears as the day I bought the car.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Slide underneath and examine where the bumper cover meets the metal impact absorber. All new? Did they put new foam padding between the two?

As long as it's someone else's dime, make sure they didn't cut any corners on your future safety!

Meade

P.S. Oh lord, I'm sounding very entitlement-American today!
    we paid $22 for 12 gallons of gas.
    When I first bought the car in May 2000, I was able to fill it up for about $11.50! Gotta love those "by the seat of your pants" gas prices!

Meade
    Back when Gee and I first met (1995) gas was $.69-$.89 per gallon here in GA. That same $22 fill-up yesterday would have only cost about $9.00.
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    over on the Tivo Forums. Someone asking for used car reccomendations and of course most posts center on Honda.

Me: "I'd look at a Mazda Protege. Great little car, incredibly reliable and fun to drive. It will cost less than a used Honda of the same year which in turn could allow you to buy a newer car"

Following we get:

"2nd the protege as well. I've got a Protege 5` with no problems what so ever but it is only 2 years old. I've seen/heard of protege engines lasting 200K+ miles and still running smooth as ever!"

and

"Look at a use Mazda Protege. Mazdas are just as reliable as Hondas and Toyotas (my family has several of them with more than 150K miles), but for some reason don't have the reputation. As a result they have a wicked first-year depreciation, but a really high value as a used car.

(I've bought two used Mazdas, a Protege and a Miata. This last Saturday I bought my first NEW card, a Mazda MPV.)"

and just for a laugh, I'll throw ya this one.

"I don't know what they sell for, but look at used Jettas (1999.5 and above)...they are quite reliable and I LOVE mine!"
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    try $30 for my RX-7!!! :-O
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    My Protege has been problem free. I can easily recommend it. I'm also a VW owner and have owned 5 of them and currently own a Jetta TDI Wagon.
    My experience with VW has been very good with only a few problems. Had more problems with my 02 Honda Si than any new vehicle I've ever purchased.
    Since the Jetta will obtain 48 mpg with $1.52 gallon diesel I'm driving it this week. Protege is in garage.
    Anyway, as a Mazda fan, VW fan, Toyota fan and yes I truly like Honda also, I'm surprised at how many times VW and Jetta in particular are attacked or made fun of at Edmunds.
    is the parking brake issue with our last EP hatch. We've owned three of them. The one I have now is a gem even though I've put eibachs on it and 17" wheels. I guess there a bad one of anything. But no point going on and on about it.

When I was driving cars for Carmax, the only make that I drove that had more problems than VW was Ford. I wouldn't recommend a VW to my worst enemy. Unless they were rich and loved to drive.

I could recommend a Protege though. I have in fact recommended Protege to a few people. They are a steal used. And for the 90% of people that stay below 80 mph they are great driving cars.