Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Man, I don't check in for a while and I'm 200 messages behind. So here are some comments on some of the posts i just waded through:

Vocus mentioned that his blue headlights didn't work well in the rain. Blue light is scattered more than other wavelengths, so in hazy atmosphere, its light disipates. That's why amber sunglasses cut glare better and some foglights are yellow.

It's a good sign when most of the complaints on pros are about the cd player and minor sounds.

It's nice that cars come in different colors, and the pro looks good in all of them. But jstandefer is correct, classic red is best.

Tire sizes are approximate. They vary not only by manufacturer but also by model.

The '73 civic had a 1150cc engine. It was my first new car and a little sweety. Like the pro, it seemed bigger inside than out.

Yours in Zoomitude
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    OF COURSE I don't mind you using my pics! In fact, check out what somebody else has done with some of my pics from Prototech:

http://www.geocities.com/firstgenprotege/meadesproteges/index.htm

By the way, James, I read in your profile that you're a graphic designer working for an ad agency. I'm a Mass Communications grad (Virginia Commonwealth University) and work in Public Relations, designing newsletters and doing some small-time graphic design myself. I live in Midlothian, a suburb of Richmond about 15 miles southwest of downtown. I have a few friends in the Charlotte area, and we rent a house at the Outer Banks once a year. Where do you live? We may get a chance to run into each other sometime ...

Meade

Everyone! There may be hope for the Protege once Ford gets its hands on it! Check out this morning's article from autonews.com, and note how MAZDA -- NOT FORD, THANK GOD -- will be building the four-cylinder engines for the next-generation 323 model!

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories/focus409.htm

Saints be praised, I'm hopin' this is true!!! Please, please, please!!!

Meade

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Meade, I checked that website with your cars' pictures on it. It said, under the LX with 83K on it, you got rid of that one to get the 2000 ES. Any avid reader of Town Hall knows that isn't true. The person forgot to mention the "piecajunk B2300" as you call it. Just thought I would say something. :)

I took my car in for its first service yesterday, at 2830 miles. They did an oil change, filter, and reset the alignment for me as well. Was going to add a cargo net, but they said since the one I got wasn't factory, they wouldn't add it for me. That sucks! Anyway, my driver's seat springs squeak in the lower cushion (already!) and they can't do anything about it. I am not happy about it at all, but I just turn up the radio and keep on ZOOM ZOOMing! :)
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    they wouldn't give you a new seat? my man.. argue til you turn blue..
    I don't know if I want them to give me a new seat though. See, it's not that easy. I have the side air bags, and they are in the seatback sides. It might affect their performace or something, if they change out the seat. I did think about calling Mazda customer service though, especially since the car has less than 3000 miles on it.
    First, my 1992 LX had a bum seat too -- they can replace the bottom cushion (I assume that's where it's squeaking) and leave the rest of the seat intact. They did it for me.

Concerning the site with my pics on it, I figure why spoil a good story with my piecajunk truck? Let 'em believe I've had three Pros-in-a-row!

ZOOM ZOOM SQUEAK!!!

(Sorry, couldn't help that)

Meade
    I never knew they could just replace the bottom cushion and not the whole seat. I will suggest that to my service advisor when I speak to him today.
    and besides, wouldn't they give you a seat with the side airbags installed? Its like if you get in an accident and the airbags go off.. they have to rewire it so it goes off the next time.. I doubt Mazda would mess that up..
  • groharlemgroharlem Posts: 59
    Yeah, i heard them say that too. They were saying "99 Protege ES identified", then they identified some other car. I was like "WTF"!! I was hoping they'd do something with it, but of course they didn't :(

It was pretty cool though hehe.....That show is actually pretty decent. I hate temptation island, and survivor, but boot camp is more like watching a gladiator show with a massive team. They do kinda make it a lil' dramatic though, which is kinda stupid, but oh well.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I went to Va. Commonwealth University, too. But it had another name then. ;) I know where Midlothian is, and when I was at VCU I lived on Monument Ave. an easy walk to class.

I downloaded a couple pictures to see if I could increase the contrast and make them sharper. Do you use Photoshop?

Now, I work at home doing ads for a mining company in Virginia sent to trade journals in 5 countries. Plus some work for local small businesses, and I produce a newsletter for a condo community.

Yes, when I get a Pro, hopefully we can meet at a MAPP or something. Maybe more Pro owners will be joining in by that time.

fowler3
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I'm glad you can't remove the Mazda badges. You don't want to lower the Pro's resale value anymore than it already is. Owners can do some things to personalize their cars, and other changes can have a very bad effect on resale. It would look like you didn't take care of it or live in a neighborhood where parts are sometimes missing.

fowler3
    I saw my first 2001 Protege ES today on the road near work! It was a 2001 ES in Sandrift, coming up the other side of the road. I didn't get to beep, wave, or anything else, because it all happend too fast. Plus, it was raining and traffic was in a stop-and-go kinda mood. But I saw the car on Annapolis Road (Route 450) near Lanham/Beltsville, Md. around 12.30 or so. Anyone on this forum?
    anyone see the sport-20 sedan they have displayed there.. its a black ES 00 with aftermarket kits... looks sweet.. they plan on putting a 2.0L turbocharged engine into it... 170HP
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Replacing the seat won't affect the SAB. They just plug the whole new seat in and all is good again. However, I don't think replacement seats are readily available yet. I would give it time anyway to see if the squeak goes away as long as the cushion still has full support.

:)
  • lgblgb Posts: 30
    Hey!!!---It may get dark, but my wipers never freeze to my windshield. The City of LA, by the way, has its own municipal utility with no shortages.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I don't really care that much about resale value. First of all, I am going to keep it for a while (I have the extended warranty). Second, I take EXCELLENT care of my cars. I thought it might make the car look a little better with just the flying "M" badge on the trunklid. I know a lot of people with german cars who do this. Anyway, my first car, a 86 Mazda 626 GT turbo, was stolen from our local mall, and before that it got broken into TWICE in two different locations. My brothers Honda Accord was also stolen about a year and half later. So, I guess I live in a neighborhood where the whole car ends up missing, not just the trunk badges.
  • bpibpi Posts: 120
    Does anyone know if there's currently a rebate or low-rate financing promotion?
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    is down from $750. Also the recent college grad discount of $400.

:)
  • groharlemgroharlem Posts: 59
    Hey, I read your posts ya know >:O!!

J/K, If you didn't know I'm the webmaster of http://groharlem.tripod.com, which is a sub-site of geocities.com/firstgenprotege. I did feature Meades cars yesterday, and am sorry for screwing it up. Meade, if you want me to edit it, lemme know :(.