Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    It always pays to read before you spout off at the mouth, as I just learned! That "NO" under the Maryland law applies only to the windshield -- 35 percent tinting applies everywhere else.

Everyone please take notice ... I, Der Meadeball, have erred.

:(

Meade
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    > I have heard that platinum plugs aren't very good for performance...how is this so?

All things being equal, a more powerful spark will create higher cylinder pressure which will create more power. The power of a spark is determined by its voltage (more voltage = more powerful spark).

Aside from variables such as cylinder pressure and A/F ratio, the amount of voltage required to jump across the gap of a given type of spark plug is determined by the plug gap. A smaller plug gap requires less voltage to jump across the gap and a larger plug gap requires more voltage to jump across the gap.

There is a way to reduce the amount of voltage required to jump across the gap of a plug. By increasing the number of sharp edges that the spark can jump from and to (as in SplitFire and Torquemaster plugs) or by using an electrode material that is a more efficient conductor than the standard steel material (like platinum) you can decrease the amount of voltage required to "jump the gap". The only problem is that these "specialty" plugs will produce a less powerful spark than a standard plug will at the same gap. This means that, as long as your ignition system can provide enough voltage to jump the gap on the spark plug all of the time, with these "specialty" plugs installed in your car your engine will produce less power than it will with standard spark plugs. The only way you can regain the power lost with these "specialty" plugs is to open their gap out farther (a wider gap requires more voltage to jump the gap).

I've seen a number of cases where people have installed SplitFire, Torquemaster or platinum plugs in their car in the place of standard spark plugs and have complained of reduced power. In all of these cases the specialty plugs were installed using the plug gap specified for the car's original standard plugs (with the exception of the Torquemaster, whose gap is not adjustable). The reduced spark power due to the reduced voltage requirement of these plugs was the culprit.
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    that would be me that has a Pro and an Alty... I have a 2000 Pro ES and a 1999 Alty GXE and both are nice.

I haven't driven the new ES or even the P5, but I will tell ya about the 00 ES and current Alty.

Overall power I'll give it to the Alty because it does have more and if I gun it it will haul butt. But of course its a bigger car and heavier too. The Protege is more nimble because its lighter, but still feels nice. The newer Altys have revamped suspension and in mine I get more roll than in the Protege, but adding a Strut bar I know will help considerably. Do the 01's feel like my 99? I have no clue.. probably abit better.

As for interior space I think the front I have more space in the Alty. The back area though is pretty close, but I think the Alty seats in the back are softer than the Protege's. I made reference to that way back in my Summer Daewoo 2000 test drives. legroom is good in both cars though.

Trunk..., both are pretty big, but I like the Alty's folddown seat opening. i think its slightly larger.

AS for reliable, our Protege has a little rattle and that's about it, The Alty has had some things bug me like a few rattles popping up recently, but that's mainly it. My windows would rattle but there's a Service Bulletin out on that. I've had 1 pulley replaced in the engine, a burnt-out light harness, and my CD player wouldn't register the time at times.. all fixed under warranty, and as far as I know from lots of Alty owners, those last 3 haven't happened to anyone else I'm aware of.

I love both of them and am pleased with them... If you want a 2001 Alty i'd wait til the 2002 Altys are out.. I bought my 99 in January of that year and it was under $16000 with all the same options as the current Limited Edition package includes, so you should be able to hold off and get a better deal.

hope that helped as it wasn't exactly what you were lokking for (P5 vs Alty).....

Victor
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I checked out the link. It looks like they have some pretty good prices. They don't carry the tires I think I will put on next (Pirelli P7000 215/50R15 or Dunlop SP Sport 8000 205/50R15). However, they do carry my current tires (Nitto NT450 Extreme 205/50R15) for $54 each, and that's a terrific deal (I paid $80 each at Discount Tire). Those Toyo's you are looking at seems like a pretty nice performance tire. Let me know how they are when you get them. I'm interested in the noise levels with that tread design. Good luck!!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I was just talking to my dad last night about the tint, and he said I should get my windshield done a little to cut down on glare. Now I can't, because it's illegal. I would also LOVE to get that reflective tint that looks mirrored, but it's not legal here in Maryland. That tint would really set my car off.

Question for everyone: How hard is it to replace the stock Protege taillamps with those Altezza lamps you see on EBay and stuff? I am thinking about it, but do you have to change any wiring or anything like that in order to do it? Thanks!
    just remove screws holding the taillamps in, pull out the lights, and swap....

But don't make your car look like a Civic or even a wannabeCivic Neon...

The Protege has more class than that... :D
    I thought you had to change the bulbs inside or something like that. Is it really that simple just to unscrew the lamps? I wanna be sure before I purchase the Altezza lights.

I wanna get the Altezza lights because it would make my ES look different from any other on the road. Also, I EBayed some HID super whites, am getting the windows tinted tomorrow, and having the fog lights changed to illuminate with the parking lamps next Saturday.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    got a spare coffee can for that tail pipe around the house?

sorry, couldn't resist
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    Just a quick note for people looking for tires. If you looking for tires give http://www.etires.com a try. I was trying to find a single of my brand new tires (road hazard) and I called up these guys to see if they knew anything about my tires and the guy that answered was very knowledgable and friendly. The kicker is of course that they have FREE GROUND SHIPPING! When buying tires that's a pretty big deal. They will also ship to a local service station that they have an agreement with if you so choose.

The downside is that they don't have tire/rim combinations like the snow tires at Tirerack.

did I get that right?

He hunted forever, got his Pro, and then split...
    he should get some more zoom zoom stickers for 50hp... hehehehehehe

seriously.... your bulbs should still work. While I'm not 100% certain, it will more than likely be direct fit replacements..
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    You won't need to replace the bulbs too. Those tailights should be pretty easy to replace. I have friends who have them on Integras and Civics. Are you getting the regular ones, or the carbon fiber look ones? Oh yeah, Maltb, since you didn't answer my question before, I take that as a "yes". Can you hook me up with a job? ;)
    neither confirm nor deny your suspicions. Young grasshopper, you must snatch the stone from my hand before you are ready.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    You do know that if your car is repainted a different color the inside door jams will still be black and also inside the hood and trunk lid. When you get ready to trade it people will think it has been wrecked.

fowler3
    Paul, if you don't like the solid black, consider having it painted silver down to the door guards, and have them carry the color separation in a line around the car -- at bumper level. Maybe the top part of the bumpers painted silver and the bottoms left black.

If you think silver is too great a contrast, use a medium grey metalic.

To see the effect check out the top-line Camry and the Lexus ES300.

fowler3
    ...the effect I can paint one for you in Photoshop using a picture.

After I finish my work that is. ;)

fowler3
    I think your stuck with black. If I had your car (actually, my last car WAS black) I wouldn't even THINK of repainting it. IMO, you would be ruining your brand new car because it will never have the same factory finish if you repaint it. Maltb, what movie is that from? I remember the quote, but I don't remember the movie. GOT IT!!! I got the stone from your hand!!! Now you have hook me up with a job. ;)
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    with a 5 speed. My local dealers seem to only have auto. Are 5 speed LX 2.0 5 speeds rare? I really don't like the interior of the ES, with the dark cloth and white gauges. I test drove both and was happy with the Lx 2.0, Es seemed to have a firmer ride. I,m trying to locate a Mill. Red with alloys and moonroof, which are part of the current incentive pkg.

This will be my third Protege, I currently have a 96 DX and previously owned a 91 DX. Both cars were flawless, although the 91 was much quicker.

My Wife purchased a O1 LX MPV last April. This my first post on the Protege board, usually you'll find me with the MPV owners.
    I think vocus should just leave it like it is. Don't paint it, don't change the fog lights, don't change the taillamps,don't change anything!

Changes increase depreciation, some times dramatically.

Wait a while and maybe something will come up, an opportunity, and he can trade for something he likes better.

I saw one of the 2002 MB C-Class Coupes this evening, that car isn't much larger than the Protegé, in fact, it looks smaller. It was the AMG version with spoiler in Silver metallic. I wondered if the owner went for the $2800 leather trim in black and red. Even the steering wheel is black and red.

By the way, there are three models of the C-Coupe, base model comes with 90hp at $29,950. Paul, this may be your next car! Buy a big shoehorne to get into it. ;)

fowler3
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I don't know about the States, but my LX 2.0 is a 5-speed manual (I got mine in Canada). I had no trouble at all getting it. Sounds like you're a big advocate of the Pro if this is going to be your third one! Good luck with your search! Keep us informed of your adventures looking for your new Pro.

Pro_fan
  • laurakatlaurakat Member Posts: 69
    I'm looking to possibly purchase an LX 2.0 5-spd as well. The dealership I checked out here in MN has plenty of 5spds. I quess there rare in your neck of the woods.
    I was actually looking at the pics of them today online, and changed my mind. I will keep the standard taillamps, thank you. :) Even if I did get the others, I would have kept the originals and put them back on at trade-in time probably. As far as the color, I thought about going from black to another color. I didn't know what they didn't paint though. The silver is a pretty cool idea, Fowler. But the appearance of the black isn't what's bad, it's the heat index. I figure it would be less with a lighter color. Guess I am stuck (actually blessed, because I have yet to see another black Protege yet!) with the black then. :)

Fowler, changing the appearance of the car has nothing to do with not liking it. I like the car alot, but just wanted it to stand out among a crowd. I still wanna keep it and plan to for awhile. I do wanna change the fog lights though, because the custom fogs on my 1999 DX were hooked to light with the parking lamps, and I liked the way they looked. Very sporty.

Nike, also cute about the stickers. :) I have one ZOOM-ZOOM sticker (the white one), but have yet to add it to my car. I don't wanna mess up the clean appearance with the sticker, and can't decide where to put it anyway.

I had a decal on the back of my 1999 DX that I had custom made from someone on EBay. It said "Protege" in bubble letters, with blue and silver coloring. I really liked it alot, and wish I could get another one like it. I was also thinking about one of those windshield stickers, but they look too boy-racer for me.
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    While watching the "yellow" zoom zoom commercial I thought those tail light lenses would look good if they "bolt" on. Have to call Mstuff next week.
    As vocus says just keep the originals for trade in.

Apparently the strut tower brace on the '02 MP3 may bolt on the "01 ES 2.0L. Thing is I've never driven a car and then made the upgrade so have no idea as to "real" improvement to be expected. Any thoughts on that fowler3? Or anyone else with an opinion.

Then lose the spoiler and ES decals for that sleeper look. My vision of the ideal ES. Wasn;t sure about the light sandalwood but have grown to like it a lot. Get compliments on color. Definitely didn't like the white guages but now I wouldn't go back.

Later all.
    And thanks for any feedback.
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    Don't forget, Racing beat is working on some stuff for the Protege. I wonder if the MP3 exhaust would fit on a regular ES, anyone inquired?

Vocus, you were scaring me with some of the mods you were thinking about. The window tinting will look very sharp, I'm goign to do it myself in a month, before the MAPP II meet. I also think you will notice a difference in the interior temps of the car with the windows tinting. Somehow, I think its the fact that the seats, dash, carpets are black that is makign the car hot, not the exterior color. My roomate has his car, which is black exterior, tan seats, black dash, black carpets, and his car is not too hot at all. Ive forgotten what my point is, as its early, and I just got up.

Steve
  • black01coupev6black01coupev6 Member Posts: 195
    vocus: Yes, I have the black mica but since I live in GA you probably don't have to worry about seeing me on the road any time soon. I have yet to see a black ES here either. They had one other black 5-speed at the dealer, everything else was gold or green.

My fiance swears by Bosch Plat+4..he puts them in every car he buys. I put them in my 99 Accord at it's 30k service and it seemed to run a little smoother..and when I put them in the 93 Accord it made a world of difference. Engine was smoother and it seemed to have just a bit more power (but maybe the power thing is psychological).

Here in GA it's been around 90-95 the past few days and even though it's hot when you first get in the car the AC cools it down pretty effectively. Tinted windows would help tremendously but I don't know if I will ever have time to go down to Fl...I hate work...takes up too much of my time.. :(
    CorkSport Mazda Performance has just listed several new engine performance items that will fit both the 1.8L and 2.0L engines!!!! Here's what they are:

J-SPEC
    2.0 FS-ZE* intake manifold
    Fits 1.8, 2.0
    $530

J-SPEC
    2.0 FS-ZE* intake camshaft
    Fits 1.8, 2.0
    $168

J-SPEC
    2.0 FS-ZE* Piston set
    Fits 1.8, 2.0
    $180

MAZDASPEED
    Exhaust camshaft
    Fits 1.8, 2.0
    $142

MAZDASPEED
    Chromoly flywheel
    Fits 1.8, 2.0
    $172

MAZDASPEED
    Stainless steel header
    Fits 1.8, 2.0
    $739

MAZDASPEED
    High compression piston set
    Fits 1.8, 2.0
    $120

*The FS-ZE engine is the 170hp 2.0L used in the Japanese "Sport 20" -- their suped-up Protege5 with all-wheel drive and auto-manual transmission.

Personally, I prefer the Mazdaspeed parts since they are Mazda's in-house tuning division (like Mercedes Benz's AMG). Unfortunately, evil emissions laws here in California may not allow me to use these parts, but I will certainly look into it!!

thanks for your nice welcome and advice.

Went to a local dealer and they tried to push an 01 ES on me. I really want a 2.0 LX and I'm willing to wait. They are receiving their last allocation of 01 Pros in a couple of weeks. The Salesman said they expect to receive a Sand Mica 2.O LX 5 speed. I may consider the Sand Mica, although M Red is my first choice. My Wife has a Sand Mica 01 LX MPV.

I might go on carsdirect to have them find my Pro. I heard some good things about carsdirect, they even will deliver your new car to your front door.
    BTW, dealer only offered me $3000 for my 96 DX Pro 5 speed with 55,000. I'm going to try to sell it myself.
    I saw an LX Pro in red the other day outside the office....looked pretty sharp! Don't know if it was stick or auto...I'm guessing auto b/c it is a rental car.
    Also, I've noticed that the dealership where I bought my Pro from is offering 0% financing (not sure of the length of term) on the SE and LX models (ES and Pro 5 not included), so you might want to check on that before you buy! Apparently there's not a huge demand here for LX models...dunno why...I LOVE my LX!! Only thing I'm pissed about is that I bought my Pro a month ago, not at 0% financing!!! :(

Good luck with your quest!

Regards,

Pro_fan
    I know how you feel. My Wife purchased a 01 MPV in March and 2 weeks later Mazda raised the rebate from $500 to $1500. She loves her MPV and is happy with her decision.

I'm aware of the 0% for 48 months and also free alloys and moonroof.

Glad to hear you like your LX 2.0, it's a nice car. I love the 2.0 LX, I just prefer the interior over the ES. Although, the ES and LX 2.0 are in the same price range, I'm going to pull the trigger on a LX 2.0. I have to find a 5 speed, no slush box for me.

I saw a white 01 Pro yesterday, it looked nice. I'm usually don't like white cars but the Protege looked awesome in white. White must be a rare color. It's the first 99-01 white Pro I've ever seen.

Pete
  • compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    I own a 1999 Protege ES (actually, wife drive it now after blowing the engine in her 1995 Neon). It is a 5-speed.

I have changed the oil and filter every 5000 miles with synthetic oil (Mobil 1). I replaced the wiper blades about 6 months ago. I replaced the spark plugs and tires at about 25,000 miles. I replace air filters and PCV valves every 20,000 miles (done it twice so far for each). I drained the manual trans around 30,000 miles and replaced it with synthetic gear oil (75W-90, I think).

I still have everything else original, including all brake pads. The car now has 46,800 miles on it. We're getting to the end of the bumper-to-bumper warranty, so I hope if something important is going to malfunction that it does so within the next 3,000 miles.

The ONLY repair that has been needed was a new water pump at only 5,000 miles. The car started making a weird clattering sound around then, but ran perfectly (just noisy as heck). When the dealer looked at it, they found that one of the internal fins had broken off the water pump and was being grinded against by the other fins as they spun around. The dealer said it was the first time they had ever seen that happen to a water pump on a low mileage Mazda. This is the only problem we have had with the car outside of regular maintenance, and the dealer gave us a rental car and had the repair finished in less than 2 days.

Our Protege doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes and feels as spunky as the day we bought it. No rattles, buzzes, or anything else. Of course, my Protege was built in Japan, while I think the newer ones are built in the US, so I don't know if that will be a factor with the new cars or not.
    All Pros are built in Japan, I wouldn't have it any other way. When the Pro starts becoming a Ford(focus)I will say sooooooo looooooong to Mazda.
    Some jerk hit my back bumper on my 01 ES in the parking lot yesterday. I only have 8000 miles, the car is mint, and now this. It made two huge marks and it ruined the plastic bumper cover. They left no note, hit & run. I can't believe what kind of POS would do something like that. They shouldn't be driving. I was so P'd off that I couldn't see straight and I swear I'd be in prison now if I found out who did it. Now I have to pay my $250 deductable to get it fixed and my insurance premium may go up and to top it off, silver is really hard for a body shop to match. Arrrrrrgggggg!!!!!!!!!
    That stinks...make sure you get a good shop, you are right about that clear coat silver. If I'm not mistaken, the original bumper has two different painting methods: lower portion is slight orange peel, and the upper portion is smooth. Look at it closely under the clearcoat and see if I'm right before you hand the keys to the bodyshop.

:)
    People like that should really be locked up (or shot)...I feel for you Todd! That's my nightmare!! Good luck matching it up! Keep us updated on how it goes!

Regards,

Pro_fan
    Do you have broad form collision? I had someone ding my Pro in a parking lot, no note. I notified the police and it won't cost me anything.
    I would be so pissed I couldn't see straight. Someone hit my wife's front bumper(hit and run) 3 years ago. Had her 95 626 (gold) repainted and it looked great and held up well. I know how upset you are. Like Maltb said, find a great bodyshop and let them know you want your Protege perfect. If you have a good relationship with your Mazda dealer talk to the Servive Mgr,I'm sure he can recommend a good shop.
    People who hit and run are POND SCUM!

Pete
    Probably a bluehaired old lady who parks by ear. Uses her longnosed Buick to ram through traffic.

Check out the bodyshops, they vary greatly in quality work. Don't go where your insurance adjuster suggests, they like the cheap shops.

Metallic paint has to be sprayed on at the same angle as the factory painted the car or it will look different from the other paint, if the metal flakes go on at a different angle the sunlight reflects differently.

Years ago when I had an office in a small mall, a lady came in and asked if I would check her car. It was an old model Cadillac, she had just had it painted at a cheap shop -- the surface felt just like sandpaper there was so much metal flake in it.

Also reminds me of when I special ordered paint on a new Buick Riviera. I sellected a Cadillac paint the Buick factory had never used before. They had to paint that car three times! First time, Cadillac didn't send enough paint. Second time, it was the wrong shade of light blue. Third time, they got enough paint, the right color, and screwed up on spraying it. The front end was a different shade than the rest of the car because two different people painted the two sections. Metallic paint. At that time, Buick would paint a car any color a buyer wanted for $85.00. After their experience with the Cadillac paint, the price went up to $285.

To give you an idea how long ago that was, that loaded Riv cost $6,450. In 1981, the Mazda GLC Special Edition hatchback cost about the same amount. Ah, the good old days.

fowler3
    I need it. I am really worried about a body shop doing a cut-rate job on my brand new car. I know which shop I am going to take it to. Its called Lamettry's and it must be good if it is one of the few body shops in the country that can do frame repair on aluminum body cars like the Audi A8. Thanks for the tip Maltb, I will check that out. I'm still worried though about paint match, and fit and finish.....I am a stickler. I was almost in shock when I saw the damage. I seriously believe that people who do things like that should not be driving. If you can't pay attention going .5 mph in a parking lot, then how can you be trusted on the freeway going 65 mph? It scares me. Yooper-Broad Form collision? whats that? Do you have to fill out a police report? This happened in Minneapolis and I don't think that they would waste their time on something like this.
  • im5im5 Member Posts: 6
    I'm really sorry to hear your incident. But the other day I was just passing by Lametry's Body Shop at Eden Prairie, and judging from the building and the cars parking there, waiting to be repaired--Audi A8, Porsche Boxster, Acura Legend, Volvo, etc.--I'm sure they'll do a good job (I know it doesn't sound like a scientific way to make judgement, but hey, first impression counts). Keep us posted with the progress and I certainly hope all the best!

im5
  • laurakatlaurakat Member Posts: 69
    We used Lametry's on our '95 Camry a few years back to repair door damage caused by some guy in a Tahoe who backed into my wife in a parking lot. They did a good job.

I feel your pain in regards to parking lot incidents. When I had my brand new '99 626, I was so paranoid about getting my first parking lot ding, I would drive my wife nuts by parking waaaay out at the end of every parking lot to avoid other cars. If I buy the Pro, I'll become paranoid once again.

By the way, I test drove another LX 2.0 5-spd at Walser's in Burnsville. It was a beautiful black one. I got to take it out without the salesman, since I had my wife and two daughters with me. I quess he didn't want to sqeeze in back with a couple of little kids!!

Good luck with repairing your car.
    Mike.
    I haven't decided if I'm going to get those parts yet, but those parts are available. Hopefully, Mazdaspeed releases even more parts!!!
    Broadform collision costs a little more but if damage to your car is not your fault (in your case, and mine-parking lot hit and run)you don't pay the deductible. Its worth the little extra they charge for it. As far as the police go, it was a property damage accident so they have to look at the damage and fill out a police report. I did this on a rental in Oceanside,CA in '97. Any more ?'s e-mail me if you like and I can give you my phone #.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one to park waaay out in the boonies to avoid inconsiderate a**holes. Just good sense.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    are now a felony in Virginia, thanks to the latest General Assembly. I'd be out there looking for a car with some of my paint on it ... !

Meade
  • dbroccardodbroccardo Member Posts: 12
    It's very hard to find a 5-speed ES here in the Detroit area, but LX2.0 5-speeds seem plentiful. What's the primary differences between the two models?

Dave
  • dbroccardodbroccardo Member Posts: 12
    Anyone know when the 2002 Pros are due out? Any word on pricing?
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    @$% who messed you up, will surely get theirs, and someday, you will have something nice return to you in compensation for this piece of bad karma! Keep your chin up, call your insurance company, get the repair job scheduled and put this behind you, as quickly as possible. You will feel much better. :-)

Respectfully,
    Larry
    Newcar, you think you are mad about getting hit in a parking lot? I came out when my 2001 Protege ES was 3 WEEKS old with 1900 miles on it, and someone had scratched down the side of the bumper and left it that way. It was parked right in front of my house, too. I had to pay the $250 deductible, as I don't think they have that hit and run coverage here in Maryland. Anyway, I have also had people around my house scratch my car, and just found out the other day someone scalloped the paint off the right rear side of it. Some people are just plain igorant.

BTW, Newcar, I took my Protege to a Mazda dealership and got it repaired. The car looked just like new when I got it back a week later.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    hey,

why is the filter on the ES the size of a tuna can?

it looks so small. Can it really last 7500 miles of filtration as the owners manual claims?