Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• iamziamz Posts: 542
    autonomous, your understanding of tire sizing is correct (wouldn't call it limited :). Keep in mind that my choice in tires this time around was highly influenced by my close to 90 mile round-trip commute on mainly straight farm roads. There are some curvy portions but the radii of them are so large I would have to be traveling 20-30 mph over the speed limit just to start letting the tires work at keeping me on the road.

Also, about a year after getting the P5 I got back into motorcycling and found that the car started to feel mundane in comparison. So, I try and spend as much time as I can on the bikes commuting in the spring, summer and fall. When I take vacations, I head out on the bikes instead of the car once again.

As result of these things, super high performance tires just don't make sense for me. I decided on the Traction TA's based on reviews at Tire Rack after Discount Tire brought them to my attention. They have just about the exact same tread pattern as my winter Michelin Pilot Alpins, and those have been relatively quiet except for they like to sing in the rain (high pitch rather than a low rumble).

I decided on the 55 profile over the 50 because of how well they fill out the wheel wells as I mentioned.

So, that's about it. I'll give more feed back once I get more miles on them.
    Oh yeah, there was one more thing. I am expecting to see a 1+ mpg increase over the previous tires. I will be traveling ~ 5% farther on the same amount of engine work once at speed. I'll let you know how those calculations come out also.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Also, about a year after getting the P5 I got back into motorcycling and found that the car started to feel mundane in comparison. So, I try and spend as much time as I can on the bikes commuting in the spring, summer and fall. When I take vacations, I head out on the bikes instead of the car once again.
    I hear you. What kind of bike?
    I started with a 750 Shadow, but the real fun came with the Suzuki DR650 SE. Let's just say, I don't limit my commute to pavement anymore. ;)

How about you, what's your ride?
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    195/55/15 are on my 03LX. 185/60/15 BF Goodrich Traction TA/T are available for $55 compared to $78 for 195/55/15 BF Goodrich Traction TA/V.
    What do you think of substituting the 185/60's? Is this an acceptable substitute?
    195/55/15 are on my 03LX. 185/60/15 BF Goodrich Traction TA/T are available for $55 compared to $78 for 195/55/15 BF Goodrich Traction TA/V.
    What do you think of substituting the 185/60's? Is this an acceptable substitute?

Interesting: the tires seem very close in size but very different in price. Within the same brand of tire, the 195/55 is over 40% more expensive than the 185/60, which is only a slightly different size. Are the 185's on special?

At what speed max. are your current tires rated? lower than T? T? H? V? higher?
    The 185/60/15 probably would suit your set-up well, but you may want to ask the real pro, Connor, at the Tire rack here on Edmunds.
    Current tires are V rated (149 mph) and the TA/T tires are T rated (118 mph).

Unless my Protege is picked up off the ground by a Tornado it is not going to come close to 149 mph ;)

I do not even plan to exceed 100 mph, though the Protege is capable.

Service rating is 84 for both tires.
  • 77hchbck77hchbck Posts: 24
    I'm new here as I just got into the Protege world and I'm wondering if basic dexron III is a good substitute for the ATF M-III or Dexron II listed in the owners manual. Or are Mazdas like Hondas and require special fluids which are available only at their dealers? I hope not. What are others using for this Gen.

I just bought this car used and I'm doing all the maintenance fluids and filters before handing it over to my daughter.
    Current tires are V rated (149 mph) and the TA/T tires are T rated (118 mph) ...
    I do not even plan to exceed 100 mph

Sounds like you answered your own question, moparbad! You can start laughing all the way to the bank with your 185s. :)

It would be interesting to hear Connor's comments especially regarding handling. I predict he'll have no problem with your choice.

Good luck and let us know how your spanking new BFGs turn (!) out.
    No answer yet on tire sizing from Connor, however, I found a great sizing tool at www.1010tires.com
    The tire size calculator shows the 185/60/15 to be acceptable. I thought 195/60/15 would also be an option, however, they show greater than 3% difference in size. Hmmm....
    I'm just an admirer when it comes to bikes. Some day ...

p.s. any recommendations for a novice?
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,327
    I'm sure we'll run across each other still. :)

Good luck with your new 3 hatch. I like that red.
    connortirerack, "Ask Connor at The Tire Rack" #808, 19 Apr 2005 9:53 am
    Connor did not endorse my tire selection. I called to change my order to the OEM 195/55/15 size and different Tirerack employee had different advice than Connor.
    :confuse:
    185/60/15 is 10 mm less width and 5 mm taller and 1.28% overall larger diameter. Decided to go with Borbet Type CA wheels with Yokohama Avid TRZ 185/60 tires against the advice of Connor.
    If they don't handle well, I can't say I wasn't warned. I expect they will be fine. :)
    Will let you know how they perform after they arrive.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Thanks my friend!

Don't worry, I still hang out here; I check the posts pretty much daily (when there are posts to check, LOL). I have found the group here MUCH more mature than the group over on the Mazda3 discussions.

Meade
    There's a lot of passion there though. LOL.

I cruise those boards on occasion, but the posts arrive in too great numbers for me to keep up. I usually end up scrolling to the last page the next time I pass by.

You keep them in line. ;)
    I can feel Pat trembling already. :P

There's passion there, yessss ... but it's lust, not love. So far the Mazda3 discussions are a study in entitlement vs. reality.

Meade
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Do you mean steering wheels are optional? Sheesh, I thought they were standard and leathercovered in Mazdas. :confuse:

fowler3
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 567
    There are some very interesting comments on this subject at

http://www.parttrackers.com/library/1/24/50/

Scroll down to the third from last paragraph
  • e302ae302a Posts: 2
    Hi guys!

I would like to post a problem with my audio system. Is the following normal? :

my rear doors (the panel speakers in particular) do not have ANY sound coming out of them? is this normal????????

please give me a quick yes or no response if anybody knows anything about this area?????? thanx !!! e302ahotmail.com ...................

its a mazda 2003 protege!! i forgot to include this!!
    Ryan
    There are no speakers mounted in the rear doors of the Protege sedan. The speaker grilles are there because the same doors were used in the 2003 Protege5 sedan, which didn't have a rear parcel shelf for rear speakers -- so in the Protege5, there were speakers there.

Meade
  • e302ae302a Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for the timely answer!! it seems like theres some super knowledge people in here.

Thanks again meade...guess its time to shell out some bucks to get some speakers in there.
    Any articles, tips, advice on what speakers u'd recommend for the protege , and installation instructions?? any pdfs floatin around??
    cheers
    Ryan
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    There may not be any wiring channels for the rear door speakers. My understanding of the grilles not having speakers is Mazda used the same door panels in cars sold in Asia and Australia where those countries DID get speakers, but the USA Protegés got them in the parcel shelf.

fowler3
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Posts: 314
    The US model not only got speakers in the shelf, they got BIG speakers in the shelf, 6X9s, which are far better at movine air (a speaker's job) than anything that fits in the door would be.
  • ganggang Posts: 15
    The window on driver's side suddenly dropped all the way down to the bottom when I closed the door of my 99 Protege ES yesterday. Then it could not be raised up any more through the button on the door panel. I had to manually raise it all the way up, but it becomes very loose now, and I am afraid it will drop down again. What is exactly the problem? Is this something I can open the panel and fix it up?

Many thanks for suggestions...
    Gang ...

Please see my response in the Problems and Solutions discussion.

You don't have to cross-post your questions. We'll find you. :P

Meade
  • lamillerlamiller Posts: 1
    What a coincidence that I came upon this site! I have a 2003 LX and the front two tires are completly worn to nothing, i am getting them replaced in two days and it is so interesting to hear that everyone else has had the same problem with how expensive 195-55-15 tires are! oh my god its insane no one has used ones ofcourse and new ones are so pricey. Anyway I dont know what brand it is that i am getting but discount tire is replacing both with new ones for a grand total of 131.72 which is really cheap for two tires. At this point any thing is better than the two that i have.
    It's called 323 over there. It was good to see it still around.

Got a gander at a variety of vehicles while I was there. Small mini-vans from Honda & Toyota (think Mazda5/Premacy). Honda Fit sedans and 5-dr hatchbacks really piqued my interest (the hatchback, not the sedan). If you thought S. Korean mfrs. made fast progress in making automobiles, you'll be surprised how quickly some of the China mfrs are coming along. Kind of scary, especially given how GM is struggling right now.

Traffic laws are loosely followed there. Good thing they drive more slowly than we do. :)

They sure could use some form of emissions control though. Yuck.
    Good to hear from ya. How's life?

Meade
    How are you doin', buddy?

It gets awful quiet around here. Get the feeling lots of folks have moved on (present company included!...how is your new ride, BTW?...guess I can get the scoop on the Mazda3 boards, but I'm feeling a bit lazy and hoping for a summary w/o the cross-chatter).

Amazing how cool the weather has been out in my neck of the woods. Not that I mind. I hate the hot, humid summers we typically have.

Been looking for a bike for my wife. It's pretty hard since she's petite. Too small for most adult bikes. too big for most youth bikes. And custom bikes are expensive! We'd be looking at $1500-$2500 for one of those fitted to fit her, when we're looking more in the $200-400 range (mostly on-road riding, and mostly at casual speeds). Giant offers an in-between bike (youth, but on 26in wheels) that might fit her. I'm waiting to hear what length crank arms it's got from one of the local bike shops.

And I just discovered that Bell has changed their head models so their helmets don't fit my fat noggin either. I'd better take really good care of the ones I have now. It sure bites to have a big head when you like to ride (most sunglasses pinch my head too).

And I just became an uncle early this month! We'll be visiting them in a month or two. Gotta let momma recover a little bit before we bother them. My daughter is kind of excited to have a younger cousin, especially since it's a girl.

Anyway, I don't get on too frequently these days, but I'll try to do better.

Ciao!
  • pistolpistol Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Protege with a 1.6 L. engine. The check engine light has been on for about 4 months. The car runs fine yet i must get this code (po171 bank 1: engine running too lean) corrected for the car to pass PA. state emissions test. I have already replaced the mainstream o2 sensor and a torn fresh air intake hose and 3 times cleared the codes, but this same code keeps coming up. Yes, i have spent over $150.00 in parts for the waiver, but i would still like some satisfaction for the money i have put out with no results. Anyone have any similar problems and what did you do to fix it? Thanks!