Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    You know I love all Mazda owners.... :P
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,324
    And so is my Pro, which will soon see 64000 miles. Other than an annoying CEL (code P0402) which occasionally pops up, it's been pretty trouble-free. Since little bits of carbon jam the EGR valve every now and then (the last couple have been small and blown themselves out apparently, as the code cleared itself in a few days after each of the last CELs). Still, annoying, so I keep a small piece of black electrical tape to cover it up when it comes on.

I haven't seen anything on the market that would get me out of my Pro. I'm just too happy with it.

And my wife is glad she got her P5. Nothing that has come on the market since appeals to her (except the 5-dr Prius, but she likes how her P5 handles, and the Prius doesn't come close...of course, that's not its intent).

And it's good to see a lot of the old gang is still hanging out, even though we don't post with nearly the frequency we once did. Glad to hear you're all alright. :)
  • simonsez5simonsez5 Posts: 21
    I figured this would be the best place to post my question. I'm looking for a used car and the Protege is on my list, I test drove two, a 98 and a 99, both ES models with a 5 speed. The 99 was the next (and last) generation of the Pro. My question is this, both engines were 1.8 litres with the same hp (and torque I believe) output of 122 BUT I noticed that the 98 model redlined at 7000 RPM vs. 6500 RPM for the 99?? Somehow the 98 even felt faster (but that may be my imagination. Is this the same engine? The 98 also felt roomier, is this true?

Thanks.
  • civiletticiviletti Posts: 86
    I think they are different engines. The '99 1.8 came from the Japanese 626, I believe. Earlier 1.8 pro's used a version of the miata engine. I think it may require high octane gas, but I'm not sure.

It seems the '98 may have been more reliable,

http://www.autooninfo.net/RelPerMazdaCharts.htm

but my '99 es has been quite good. The '99 has more interior room, handles better, and, IMHO, looks a lot better.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Posts: 361
    Yeah, the 98 Protege came with either the 1.5L Z5 engine or the 1.8L BP-DE as found also in the Miata. For 99, Mazda switched to the 1.8L FP-DE engine, which is essentially a destroked verion of the 2.0 FS-DE found in the same model year 626 and newer (2001+) Protege's.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    The second generation (1998 in your case) had more interior room than the third generation, by a hair.

Meade
    The '98 has more interior volume, but the '99 and later has its interior volume better-placed for actual use (well, it does for me).

I think the '99 and later handles better too.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I've been wondering how you are doing. Your Pro sure puts mine to shame, I need to get on waxing and polishing. I noticed you changed the wheels again. Dale, long time no type! Where ya been?

fowler3
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    I'm still here...work has been keeping me pretty busy. :)

Over 46K on the Protege!
  • Jim: thank you very much! I really appreciate your kind words. Yeah, I've changed wheels once again. I wasn't too happy with my old set. Performance-wise, they were great. Super light at 15lbs and very strong (forged), but as far as aesthetics, they didn't really match the lines of the Pro. BBS wheels have always caught my eye and they just so happened to release the "CV" right when I started wheel shopping again. Only 4 lbs heavier, but it's worth it IMHO.
    Along with Nissan and Daihatsu, Mazda vehicles will soon come equipped with stereos that integrate with Apple's iPod. Afraid I don't have any other details, like which iPod generations are supported and when.
    Clint: I'd like a set of alloys, but the 15" size is hard to find. Most are more than I can afford at this time. I did see on TireRack a wheel I like made by Sport (something) seven spokes, and a Mille Miglia wheel, but TireRack discontuned the latter.

But when I see wheels with black brake disc dust I change my mind.

fowler3
    Then you need to get the ones with a dark finish. They're less common, but they do sometimes come that way. Hides the brake dust better. :)
  • bluem6ibluem6i Posts: 77
    Passed my 02 Protege to my daughter to drive and bought an 05 6i (Sepang with ATX). Paid less than what the Pro cost me 3 years ago. This our 2nd 6i, my wife's 03 is blue. What a great car!
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    A few questions about your Protege 02:
    1. What version of Protege is it: DX, LX, ES ... ?
    2. Where is it in terms of mileage?
    3. Have you done any major repairs?
    4. Have you replaced your tires and if so how often?
    5. Would you recommend the Pro as a used vehicle to a friend?
  • bluem6ibluem6i Posts: 77
    A few answers...
    1. 2002 LX w/ATX
    2. 43,000 + miles
    3. nothing but routine maintenance
    4. put a set of BFG Touring TA's (205/55/15) at 30k
    5. absolutely.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,947
    Hope that everyone's been having a great summer! Now that we're getting past all that summer driving (1200 miles on this years vacation...LOL) it's time to get back into the swing of chat. Stop in to say Hello!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• alternatoralternator Posts: 562
    Several months ago I mentioned that I was going to see if I could get Mazda to provide new wheel covers for my 2002 Protege even though I was about two months over warranty at that time. One cover cracked immediately the first time I tried to remove it.

Since I do my own maintenance work I had never been back to my dealer for service, so did not know about the TSB on 2002 wheel covers until after I had the problem. I'm happy to say that my dealer went to bat for me, and I received four new wheel covers last week.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    I'm happy to say that my dealer went to bat for me, and I received four new wheel covers last week.

Kudos to your dealer!
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Keep 'em shiny!

Meade
  • chiyochiyo Posts: 18
    Hi all-

My 02 Protege LX has reached 45,000 miles. Other than getting a new transmission at 33,000 miles, she have been doing good so far. However, the front tires went flat at the same time. I just ordered 195/55/15 Kumho ECSTA Asx tires at $70 each. The wheel cover cracked when I was getting the spare tire on, so I guess I'll ask my dealer for a new one :)
    I plan to get radiator flush done in a couple week. So far, the only maintenance I've done is regular oil change, new tranny, spark plugs at 30,000, and air filter. Is there anything else I need to do before 60,000 miles? The guys at Valvoline recommended me to do a Power steering fluid & break fluid flush; the owner's manual says nothing.
  • Power steering fluid & break (brake) fluid flush at 45,000 miles is simply a Valvoline profit ploy. Pass.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Brake fluid should be changed every 24 months. Brake fluid is very hdrophillic. Brake fluid changes are often neglected.
    Power steering fluid I would not mess with prior to 3 years or 50-60 thousand miles. At that time I would change it to synthetic and leave it for the next 60 thousand miles.
  • My own experience is this: I have owned 17 new cars over a period exceeding 50 years. I would guess that I have averaged about 65,000 miles on each car. I have always lubed and changed the oil, filters, plugs, and radiator fluid myself. I have never changed the brake fluid or transmission fluid in any of these. And I have never had a brake or transmission problem, except for my 1980 Chevy Chevette which had an early-on, warranty-covered transmission failure. Most of my used cars I have sold to friends, and I have never heard that they have had any excessive brake or transmission problems.

So I just don't get this current trend of expensive fluid changing, usually far in advance of manufacturer's recommendations.
    So I just don't get this current trend of expensive fluid changing, usually far in advance of manufacturer's recommendations.
    Do your friends a favor, change the transmission and brake fluids!
    brake fluid change why? article

Also brake fluid change
  • Within the NIST study you referenced I find the following :

"If you decide to flush a brake system, it is absolutely critical to use the factory-specified brake bleeding procedure. The job often requires a scan tool and special software to run the ABS pump and activate the valves. Also, proper training should be considered an essential tool for the job. Doing the job incompletely can easily cause more problems than it will prevent, and doing the job improperly can cause personal injury to the tech, as well as to the next person to drive the vehicle.

Servicing a hydraulic brake system has always been one of the most safety-critical jobs anyone can do on a vehicle, and surprisingly one of the easiest to do correctly. On vehicles with ABS, it's not so easy anymore, but the price of doing it incorrectly may be higher than the price of not doing it at all".

Nothing I read in that convinces me that I should let anyone open up my sealed-in brake system before the car manufacturer's recommended time.

Your other reference (Car Care Council) sites no authority or study for their comment at all. And on their own web site they do not specify any brake fluid replacement in their "service interval" recommendations.

In any case, I just believe you and I can only agree to disagree on this matter.
    The reason I posted the article is that it provides both pros and cons of changing the brake fluid.

I use synthetic oil in my Protege even though the manufacturer does not require it. I do not change the oil until 7500 miles.

The Protege is very well built and can likely take more abuse than many other vehicles.
  • "Other than getting a trans at 33K...." man you are pretty forgiving aren't you! Is that an automatic? I don't think anyone else in here has yet reported a bad tranny at any mileage.
  • I'm with you, if my daughters 99LX autotrans failed at that low mileage I'd be upset, even if it was covered under warranty.Hers is at 56K+ and other than fluids, we've recently had to replace the battery, 2 tires and a drivers side window regulator. Even the window problem bothered me, but it seems to be par for this Gen.
    My 2001 Pro LX needs a battery, what do you recommend, which brand and price paid? My Pro has 24,250 miles on it.

fowler3