Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    This is a fun car to drive. More fun than ... the Mazda3

Agreed. I find the Mazda3 is a more substantial car whereas the P5 is more loose and fun; eventually I'll grow up and like the Mazda3 ;)
  • Well my mechanic (whom I do trust) confirmed the front pads needed to be replaced. His price was a lot less. I did ask him to use Mazda pads. On my daily commute I use brakes as sparingly as possible, coasting to stops, staying behind several car lengths in stop and go traffic, which doesn't endear me to the leadfeet. So I thought I'd go a lot further than 56K. One thing that surprises me is the battery which is now 5+ yrs old..
    my mechanic (whom I do trust) confirmed the front pads needed to be replaced
    Good! Did he mention anything about the state of your rotors and your rear brakes? The brakes on my Protege5 finally gave way (after 95K km. or almost 60K miles). The brake light started to illuminate at every stop so I knew I was due! I decided on replacing the whole shebang (front and rear with new pads and rotors). My dealer provided a 10% discount, but it was a hefty bill. The results: marvellous control!

the battery ... is now 5+ yrs old
    Yes, 5+ years on a battery is good. You may want to have it checked periodically. My understanding is that an older battery puts extra demands on the alternator; in effect, the alternator compensates for the weak battery. Replacing a battery is cheap, replacing an alternator is not. My 5+ year old battery was fine but I decided with the miserably cold winters in Canada that it may not make it to the 6th season so I replaced it last month for under $90 installed. One tow would have cost me more. :sick:
  • I have somewhat of a problem, wonder if anyone knows the answer to this..I am trying to replace a catalytic converter assembly on my 1997 Mazda Protege LX. I do not have an owner's manual for the car.

Apparently there are two (2) different catalytic converters, depending on whether your MAZDA has a 1.5 L engine or a 1.8 L engine. I cannot find this info anywhere on the engine, in the engine compartment or anywhere else on the vehicle. Sometimes the VIN identifies these things, but I do not know how to interpret the number...
    The VIN on my vehicle starts with JM and ends in 7 digits. If anyone can tell me how to get this info I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Doug
  • i own a '92 mazda protege dx, it has a L4 engine. does anyone here know if you can swap out an inline with a V-type?
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Sure, what do you want: a V-6, V-8, V-12 or V-16?

You can do anything; all it takes is money.
  • Maltb, I was thinking of putting a V6 in it. however, I am not sure of where to look for such an engine. I want one that will put out around 300 Hp and torque. Has good fuel economy. And I want to turborize it, to give it a little more power. can you give me any advice on where I might obtain such a motor?
    I was being sarcastic in my original response. The money you will spend making a V-6 fit and work properly would be better spent on a car closer to what your target is. The weight of a v-6 is going to make the car handle even worse and your torque steer will be horrible.

Does this car have some sentimental value or are you just looking to make the ultimate sleeper stoplight racer?
  • Terry... I was wondering how the 205/55/16 size tires are working on the Protege5. I need new tires and want to switch to Michelin X Radials, 80,000 mile tires. I've been running T/A 205/50/16's, but they only lasted about 35,000 miles.

Anyway... let me know if you have any advice. Thanks! Mackeroni
    T/A 205/50/16

Are they the BFGoodrich V rated tires?
  • Yup. T/A V's. Why do you ask?
    I am riding on them myself. Since they have under 10K miles they are fine for now. I thought they were rated to last approx. 60K.
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Posts: 398
    They won't last anywhere near 60k. If you get 40k out of them you will be doing good. When I bought my set I thought it pretty unusual that a V rated tire could get 60k, but because of the difficulty in finding this size tire, I bought them knowing the 60k mileage hype was bull. I had Sears replace two of them at about 25k because of the excessive wear. They did it without any fuss, but told me I should rotate them every 3k instead of the 5k schedule I was using.
    Interesting that you mentioned rotating these tires. When I originally rotated them I followed the usual cross pattern (Right Front rotated with Left Rear; Left Front with Right Rear) and then experienced some awful driving. When I brought the car in for an oil changed I asked the tech at the dealer to do a wheel alignment. They checked the tires and realized that these tires are uni-directional and do not use the cross pattern in the rotation (i.e they are rotated Right Front to Right Rear and Left Front to Left Rear). He told me that if I had kept running on them I could have ruined the tire plies. The tires sure enough ran much smoother as a result. Bonus: I was not charged for a wheel alignment!
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    If the tires are uni-directional then there are arrows on each tire to indicate direction of rotation.
    If the tires are uni-directional then there are arrows on each tire to indicate direction of rotation.

True!
    Taking the car to Sears to try and get some kind of prorated adjustment on the front set of tires. They got 40k and are down to the bare minimum tread. Since they're supposedly 60k tires, I hope to get about a 33% credit towards a new pair. Won't hurt to try.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,896
    It's Tuesday so that means it's Mazda chat time again! Stop in tonight and meet and greet some of your fellow CarSpace members. We'll talk anything and everything Mazda, automotive, and just plain have a good time.

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

got 40k and are down to the bare minimum tread. Since they're supposedly 60k tires, I hope to get about a 33% credit

Good luck. I imagine that Sears will claim the tire life depends on your driving style and proof of your maintenance (i.e. tire rotation). Let us know the outcome.
  • titofishtitofish Posts: 1
    Just bought an 03' Protege LX to replace my 94 DX. Hopefully the LX will last until I can find another car that I love as much as Proteges. BRING THEM BACK MAZDA!! So anyway I'm new here.
    Sears denied my request for a prorated adjustment on the tires.
    Said they needed receipts for tire rotations and alignments. I had some receipts and a very detailed log but that just wasn't good enough. Sear's price for 2 of the same tires was $275, I bought them at another tire store for $232. Some savings there but not the 33% discount I would have like to have gotten from Sears. I got 40k out of this pair, and I expect that would be the average for V rated tire.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,896
    It's Tuesday so that means mazda chat time again. Stop in and meet and greet with your fellow Mazda lovers. Or just stop by for a little fun and car problem chat diagnosis. (One of our favorite games..heh)

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    Hey Mazdafun!

I'm checking in more too now that I have DSL and an LTop. Long time no type. I joined the Mazda Forum in 2001 when I bought my Pro on your's and the other 40 owner's advice. It was correct on evry point. Love the handling and the fuel economy even today.

No mechanical problems whatsoever since day one, now at 34,000 miles. Like new except for to dents in rear bumpercap where I argued with a garage door and a stoned wall. Both won.

What would I trade for these days? To be honest, there isn't a single car out there, and I have looked carfully, that would give me anymore than what I already have in the Protegé. Swoopie lines and wild interiors do not a long-life car make. They get dirty easy. And Toyota's 36mpg add campaigne is no more than what the Pro gets with an AT. It has the same trunk capacity as the new Acura RL. Comfortable seats without having to buy electric lumbar adjustment. The list goes on and on. As Mazdafun says,"It's still a nice looking car too." Look how hard the designers have to work at modernizing classic roof lines and fender blisters!

Zoom zoom comes free.
    Hey Dale and old friends! Long time no type!!

I'm still driving my Pro and believe it or not it's just turning 34K since 2001.

I'm still online with a few changes: Sold townhouse, moved to apartment close to all the services I use (no worry about gas prices), had a heart attack, recovering now, Tippy is still with me only she is getting older too.

Cheers!
    Hey Jim, glad to hear you beat out that attack and all is well. I'm not sure if Dale still checks in here, but I see her other places so I'll give her the heads up.

Take care.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Yikes, sorry to hear about the heart attack, but glad Tippy is still with you!

My Protege turned 70K this week. Still pretty much intact, although occasionally the wheel bearings complain. My original dealership closed, so now I'm going to a different one where the service dept. waiting room is all posh and new and easily twice the size of my whole apartment.

Next fall I'll be looking to replace the Falken Ziex 912's, which turn out to be quite dangerous in the snow.

Good to hear from you!

--Dale
  • civiletticiviletti Posts: 86
    I still drive my 99es in classic red, only 70k miles, runs like new, and would look that way if my daughter never drove it. She, by the way, begs us to give it to her, but I'm ready for new wheels yet.
  • civiletticiviletti Posts: 86
    I would buy tires somewhere other than Sears - just my opinion.

tirerack.com and Costco are good choices. tirerack has great selection and Costco has a great service package, but limited selection.
    Hey Dale: Yeah, I'm still here and my 2001 Pro just hit 33889 this evening. It's second set of tires still on it -- summer rated Touring tires, I never changed them to even four-season. When it's ice or snow we stay put. They have done well, highly recommend Khumo. Otherwise, we are two dogs growing old together: both of us have arthritis, both of us have lost two teeth, both of us have vision problems, and both of us are on medications for old-age symptoms. She has a bad liver and I have a bad heart, the organs in each which are the most serious for dogs and men.

We still enjoy our rides and she still hangs out the window to bark at neighbors (say Hi) as we pass by. Having moved to an apartment the neighbors are getting use to her "Hi's". All have become Tippy's new friends. :)
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Posts: 293
    I second this. I now buy tires only from Costco. I saved some $200+ on a set of 4 Michelin Exalto P2's over Sears. When I asked them about it and reminded them they had 'lowest price" and "we'll beat any price" signs in the store they said it was on 'most tires'. Costco also regularly has a $60 discount on 4 tires making them even cheaper.