Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• jsandozjsandoz Posts: 3
    Hey all,

I'm probably going to end up buying a 2001 Protege soon, and I was wondering if anyone could help me decide between the LX 2.0 and the ES.

The MSRP of the LX 2.0 is about $1400 less, but it seems to have almost all of the same features. The key features that seem to be missing are the spoiler, 16" wheels, and rear disc brakes. Are there any other differences that I should consider? I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the extra $$$ for the ES.
    Thanks,

-James
  • I didn't even consider anything but the ES because I wanted a moonroof. Also ABS.
  • bpibpi Posts: 120
    The LX 2.0 also does not come with AC and keyless entry which are standard on the ES.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    The ES also has the red gauges inside, the sport seats, the keyless illuminated remote entry standard, the spoiler, 16-inch wheels, rear disc brakes, performance tires, and the silver highlights on the dashboard and center console (which I think look sharp). The ES is much sportier than the LX 2.0 is. But to each his own.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I wrote a review of my 2001 ES as well as my 1999 DX. You have to go to the exact years to check them out though, so do so for some good reading if you are so inclined. :)
  • protegenicprotegenic Posts: 199
    Saw it while in Tampa on business. Unfortunately it was going the other direction as I was, but I noticed it because of the lack of chrome on the front. I know it is subjective, but I like the chrome on the 99-00. The other thing that really struck me was how much larger the 16" wheels look than my puny little 15" wheels! It made the car look much sportier to me.

Hey, has anyone checked out the new Altima pics/specs at Edmunds. What an improvement! A 2.5 I4 is standard making 170 hp. Can anyone tell me at what displacement does a 4 cylinder engine stop being advised and to move up to a 6 cylinder.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    the ES is sportier! But I am more conservative, the LX 2.0 is more my style, and I don't like black interiors, can't see too well. If I drop something
    in a black car I can't find it unless it's a big object. Black steering wheels get too hot. Black dashes are always covered with dust. Would prefer dark oak or Brazilian rosewood wood trim to silver with beige interior.

Red instrument lighting is difficult for older people to see. They lose their ability to see that wavelength and blue illumination. Dating myself again.

So, I bought an LX 2.0 this morning! Sand Mica. Ordered the cassette player so I can play either one.

Jim
    a.k.a James
    a.k.a fowler3
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    mdaffron - actually I grew up in and still live in Norfolk - I remember well when RPI and MCV merged, but I don't know how long ago that was? (A looong time!)
    you're right! It was a loooooooooong time ago. ;-)
    I can almost remember it. They had merged when I went there. VCU has greatly changed since the last time I saw it.

fowler3
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Here in Minneapolis today, I saw 3 brand new WRXs. Two sedans, one silver, one blue, and a station wagon, blue. All of them had the little "WRX" badge that I thought I would never see. Still haven't seen a 01 Protoge ES though.
  • hboydhboyd Posts: 98
    I sold my sharp, still reliable at 94K, 'ol workhorse '95 ES 5sp Sand Mica on Wednesday!!! My buyer was a nice, smart Nurse from Irvine, CA who needed a reliable, safe, and fun-to-drive small car. She got mine!!!! She responded from my Autoweb.com advertisement; it worked out very well. Not many people in LA are interested in a stickshift car with 94K on the ODO. It took about 7 weeks and $110 of ad, smog, and cleaning fees -- and my hard labor -- to recondition and sell her!!! VERY sad to see her go way....ahhhhhh memories... I started dating my wife in this car; I started my 1st and 2nd real career jobs in this car; I had NO car accidents in this Mazda; I had two CHP tickets (tailgating and speeding); only had about 5 parking tickets (three were dismissed... the judge liked my car -- and my arguments -- way too much!!!); Okay.... I'll stop now.... Zoooom Zooooom to NEW memories!!!!!!!

Congrats to Fowler for your LX2.0 purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MARTIN
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    Greg, the day I returned from Dallas, Texas; I was promoted to General Manager at the TGI FRIDAYS in Harrisburg PA. I have been "up to my a** in alligators", since then, hehe!!! I have checked in, on our topic, but quite frankly; I have been waaaaay to busy to post. I have had JUST one day off in the last 15 days. I'm very tired. Thanks to all that is good and pure, because my Fridays restaurant is closed on EASTER, YEAAAAA!!!!

Happy Easter, to all the great folks at the Edmunds Mazda Protege Discussion. Have a great holiday, God bless you and your loved ones.

Respectfully;
    Larry
    ...AutoTrader.com. I did and it took only two weeks to sell my Odyssey, cost $30 with color picture. If you have,or can borrow a digital camera, you can upload your own picture.

AutoTrader.com gets 1.5 million hits a day. Doesn't take long for people to find your car. I got zero results from newspaper classified and it cost more.

fowler3/Jim
  • I saw a new WRX in the most hideous yellow I've ever seen the other day. It was like a yellow custard. Anyone seen it?

Also saw a Civic Coupe in something that scared me last week. It was like a greenish / bronze with a little yellow thrown in. It was horrid. Anyone seen this color?

Mark.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Greg, the day I returned from Dallas, Texas; I was promoted to General Manager at the TGI FRIDAYS in Harrisburg PA. I have been "up to my a** in alligators", since then, Hehe!!! I have checked in, on our topic, but quite frankly; I have been waaaaay to busy to post. I have had JUST one day off in the last 15 days. I'm very tired. Thanks to all that is good and pure, because my Fridays restaurant is closed on EASTER, YEAAAAA!!!!

HAPPY EASTER, to all the great folks at the Edmunds Mazda Protege Discussion. Have a great holiday, God bless you and your loved ones.

Respectfully;
    Larry
  • Good to hear from you.....we have a brand new FRIDAYS here in Puyallup, Wa. - one of our favorite eateries to grub out. Took our first extended drive today...about 150 miles - Happy Easter to all!! Greg
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Thank you, Greg. E-mail me your home address and I will mail you some, entree cards.

larryisfishin@aol.com

-Larry
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    Hey Larry,

So I was right!

Congratulations on your big Promotion.

Now go for your dream car....
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    OK.

can somebody tell me what is the biggest tire size that the 99 protege can accomodate?

eg. 205/55R15...any problems?