Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Play nice.

My 2000 ES just turned 43,000 miles this weekend ... still goin' strong!

Looking forward to MAPP IV!

Meade
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Naive? I know Mazda knows more about this than they are telling us.

"Just I don't get your point trying to tell that those of us who do not hear the rattle are insensitive, or the TSB is wrong, or etc..."

Huh? I never called anyone insensitive. I just wanted to find out if everybody was experiencing this. I felt a lot better when I thought that "they all do it". Now that I know that they don't all do it, it makes me nervous even though it might not hurt the engine.
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    OK sorry, "insensitive" not the right quote, here is the exact quote from you:

>>Either you guys aren't noticing it, or there is a difference between our engines. If there is a difference between our engines, then there HAS to be a way to correct it.<<

Anyway, as I told before, my car is not completely immune of the rattle, and this happens in a relatively warm weather. This will probably make you feel better.

Bruno
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    ...I left some orchids in my car during the day yesterday (accidentally, of course...do I ever do anything on purpose?).

And the car was in the sun.

And last night, the interior of my car smelled like rotting vegetation.

Drove home with the windows and roof open, left the windows cracked last night.

This morning: the interior of the car still stinks of rotting vegetation.

Other than nasty chemical sprays and weird cab-driver air fresheners, any suggestions?

Ironic, since just the other day a passenger commented that my car still had that new-car smell.

And the first person who suggests going through the carwash with the windows down will get a personal kick in the a** from me. I don't care if I have to buy plane tickets to do it.

--Dale
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    why don't you take the car through the carwash with windows down...

(runs away)
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    some Hello Kitty Litter!
  • Dale, have Meade Fed EX you a pair of his pre-worn unwashed socks from last weekend. Stuff them putrid babies in your air vents, crank the heater and the ghastly smell of decayed orchids will be just a wishful memory.

-old head
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    just go to walmart's Auto section.
    They have a air-freshener with "NEW-CAR" fragrance.
    Try that out!!
    Well, actually, Wise Guy Raymond's suggestion makes the most sense. An open bag or small pan of fresh kitty litter in the back of the car for a couple of days probably would absorb the odor pretty well.

Nick: Do you drive a cab?

Larry: I doubt Meade would part with a pair of his unwashed socks. Haven't you heard what he does with those?

Hank: Be afraid. Be very afraid.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    Absobs odours (not odors) and moisture very effectively. Very useful in refrigerators as well :-)
    Get a small box, open it and place it somewhere it won't spill, of course!

Also try a room/air freshener spray and a car air-freshener that you can place inside the car somewhere.
  • Get a small box, open it and place it somewhere it won't spill, of course!

I don't think that's possible if Dale's involved.

:O
    Yeah, the baking soda might be a little neater than the kitty litter. (See, I'm thinking ahead, Mike! :P)

Like I said, I'm trying to avoid sprays and car air fresheners. I can't STAND those things.

Makes me think of all those years of taking cabs, and paying money for the privelege of being driven around by weirdos. No offense to any weirdos...er, I mean...cab drivers.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Matter of fact, I'm getting kind of sick of the new car smell. Meade-can you send me a pair of your un-washed socks, preferably after you've worn them for a week. I want my car to smell like an airport taxi.
    Shmmummpf thrmmm grmmmbb fmmfh. Whmm uh mummffmmt.

Hmmff?

Oh. There. Couldn't talk with my mouth full of sock.

Can't part with my socks, thank you very much. But I'll happily toss a pair of old, overstretched tighty-whities. Now that I've lost FORTY-NINE POUNDS since January 5 of this year, they keep falling down around my ankles. Kinda embarrassing when you're giving a Power Point demonstration to your organization's board of directors.

So ... Meade's used underpants. Only a buck a pair. Get yours now! And to keep this on-topic, I'll throw in an Edmunds MAPP T-shirt with every order!

Meade
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Now there's something that would welcome the smell of dead flowers...
    All Dale had to do to keep those flowers alive was visit ONE car wash ....
  • shriqueshrique Posts: 338
    If you can find it you can get a bag of activated charcoal. Stick it in a pan and leave it over night in your car. That can remove some amazing odors. This suggestion was from a guy that cleaned up crime scenes. (yuck)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    They're made of silica gel (same stuff commonly used in dessicant bags). It works on a similar principal to activated charcoal: molecules of the offending chemicals get trapped in small crevices. You toss it out after it's saturated. You could recharge it (or activated carbon) by heating it, but you won't like the smell.

Regular clay-type litter works the same way, but to a lesser degree.

Leave your windows open as much and for as long as you can. You'll eventually dilute the odor source enough that it'll blend into the background.

If you want to be more active about it, try an odor-neutralizing spray. Look for ones that claim to neutralize organic sources of odor. And avoid the heavily-perfurmed ones. I really hate those myself.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    oh good heavens.

Dirty socks, used underpants, dead flowers, crime scene odors...

Y'know, it's lunchtime for many folks at this moment. (At least it WAS.)

:)
    Just leave your windows down (shouldn't be a problem for you) while you're driving here and there. I'll betcha that bad odor wafts away after a few days.

Heck, that's what cured my former Mazda pickup of my wife's little bout of "morning sickness" she left in the seat, cloth door insert and door map pocket a few years ago ... orchids, by comparison? Them's easy!!!

(How's that for your lunchtime appetite, Pat?)

Meade