Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    Get yourself some spray silicone lubricant. You might want to use a light grease on the door hinges.

As far as tightening bolts, get your car up on ramps and poke around for any loose bolts underneath. I didn't find any on mine when I looked. Found some rust, sprayed some anti-rust on it to chemically change it into a primer-like substance.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Bite me.

Meade
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    My apologies if someone posted this link already, but this site has some EXCELLENT photos that you can click on twice for screen-size closeups! Enjoy!

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2003/vmd2867ml.html

Meade

• newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    There are an awful lot of bolts underneath the car. I find it hard to believe that the dealer "tightens bolts" at service intervals. What do they do? Go through the service manual and check every load bearing bolt underneath the car to make sure it's torqued properly? I doubt it. I don't think there is anything at the 30,000 mile service that couldn't be done in your garage.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    For the 30K service on the 99 DX (the 2001 didn't make it that far), I took the car to my local garage and had the major stuff done. It ended up only being a tune-up and oil change. I also had to have the brake pads changed and the rotors resurfaced. The total was $130 or something close to it (it's been awhile, so I might be off a little). Better than $300+ at the dealer for the same thing!
    You probably could have saved $100 and did it in your garage.
    Well I don't have a garage. I don't even have space to wash my car at home without dragging the hose up the alley next to my house.

This might change soon, as I am contemplating putting a parking pad in the back of my house and knocking down the patio that's there. It's old anyway and kinda sloppy looking, and parking is getting more and more difficult around my area. So it might be worth it in the longrun. Definitely will add value to the house. So if I do that, then I will start doing little things (oil changes, washing, etc.) at home.
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    I'll gladly pay that extra $100 and not do that work in my garage. I don't like working on my car, I don't want to take the time to work on my car. I'm even paying someone to wax my car.

It's gotten so old reading on all these forums that everytime someone brings up Jiffy Lube, or getting a service done at (oh lord don't say it)a dealer, they are told how they cold do it themselves.

Well 'do it yourselfers', I'm speaking up for the 'let someone else do its'! It doesn't make you a bad person, it doesn't mean you don't love your car, and it doesn't matter what you spend if you have the money and you feel comfortable with the person performing service.
  • While driving in the left lane, at 70 mph, on the Interstate, in the dark, this morning - I noticed that all the vehicles around me were full size trucks or suv's. I felt like a cheeta running with bulls. Some people like a lumbering vehicle. I'll take quickness & agility (with my 02 ES) any day. P.S. For background - I've been driving for more yrs than I care to mention - with no wrecks.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    I like to think along the same lines too. Will never buy a truck. 3/5DR HBs, 2 dr coupes or 4Dr sedans for me.

Dinu
    Hey, I respect those who don't want to do their own maintanence. I still follow the old saying that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself, especially if you're talking about vehicle service. I've seen enough crap happen at dealerships and Jiffy Lube type places to make me not trust anyone. I used to work at these places. I'll do everything I can on my car and only use dealerships and service centers as a last resort.
    I am very funny with my car though. I like the peace of mind involved in doing stuff yourself. Because you know how it was done and that it was done properly. I know how to do some stuff on my car, but I just don't have the time or space right now.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    by the GRE... :(
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    That bad, huh? Sucks. Well, one of the good things about it is that you can always do it again!
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    I'll ask them what EXACTLY they do for that tightening the bolts svc. It seems ridiculous to me that they will crawl under the car and check every bolt. It will take hours!

I too prefer to do things myself on my car, but I don't have space to do it. Next year (when the 2nd PRO will be bought) we're moving in a newly-built house, so I'll have plenty of space. I was even thinking of asking the builder to dig a hole in the garage so I can out a svc bay to change oil underneath the car. I bet it would cost $$$!

Dinu
    "I like the peace of mind involved in doing stuff yourself. Because you know how it was done and that it was done properly."

Exactly. You can't put a price on piece of mind.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    killed the math section, bombed the verbal section. the written essay won't be graded for another 2 weeks...
    I don't think they will check any bolts. In order to properly check all of these bolts, they would have to loosen every bolt, then re-torque them to spec. You can just throw a torque wrench on a bolt and check it.
  • (preferably in a small shop) by having him do the routine things. That way one has someone to go to when big projects come up.
    That's true. I have a guy who will do the big stuff like timing belt/water pump when it comes up. I'd be embarrassed to bring my car to him for oil changes though.