Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Yep, Dunlop SP 5000s. My car has 23,000 miles and the front tires are near the wear bars now and the rears aren't too far behind (yes, I rotate my tires). Although I really like to take corners hard, this tire wear is surprising considering the tires have only been on the car durning summer months. I'd say they will last at least 30,000 miles on your RL because I don't think it's possible to take corners as hard as I do in an RL.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Ironically, I got into more trouble in my Proteges than in the 1.8T Jetta. I got a ticket in each Protege for speeding, but none yet in the Jetta that I have had for a little more than a year now.
    Do you drive the car hard? I was at 20K miles on my 01 ES when I traded, and the tires looked like new. I drive mostly highway though, if that makes a difference.

I have 17s now, and am at almost 26K miles. One is looking a little light, but the others look fine.
    So it looks like another recall is going to be in the Focus's future, probably. Should I put on my surprise face???
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Mine were worn out at 18,000 miles. Replaced them with Toyo Proxes T1-S. I am very pleased so far.
    Yeah, I suspect the treadwear rating on the SP 5000s might be a little optimistic. With this kind of wear, you might as well get soft Z rated tires.
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    Finally got around to it today. Figured it wouldn't hurt to give them a try. I'm really hoping they work as well in the cold as is advertised, since that is my main reason for trying them out.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    My SP Sport A2s now have a little over 12,000 miles on them and show hardly any wear at all. Been rotating them every 5,000 miles (so twice so far). Very pleased.

Meade
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    with another recall/investigation, as educated consumers have come to get used to it from the Recall Motor Co.

It must drive the marketing folks crazy: just a dozen defects and recalls and you'll get as much publicity than from a simple ad campaign. Whi knew?

Anyways, to get back on topic, I drove my PRO today and it was great, although I get annoyed when other cars must touch their brakes to take a corner for which I usually accelerate for more zoom-zoom.

Dinu
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    those drivers also brake for squirrels and birds. :D They tick me off, too. Especially SUV drivers pulling into driveways. You'd think a little bump could be taken in stride in a SUV. Drivers in RWD cars have to brake, where FWD cars pull through the turn without braking.

fowler3
    I thought about you this morning when I heard something on the radio on my way to work. They said they were thinking about making a movie based on the Rally Monkeys! I thought that was too funny. Forgot to mention it earlier though.
    I had to place an overnight order (400 color copies for work) with Kinko's last night. When I arrived at 6:15 this morning to pick them up, the ONLY other car in the parking area was a 2000 Protege!!! I parked beside it. We looked so cute together.

(OK, OK. I'm stretching things here. It was a beige DX. I know you drive a white ES. But it sure was fun making the "chat whore" connection.)

;-)

Meade
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    ...or "push" if you aren't driving a Protege.
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    All those open parking places and you parked beside it? What a weirdo!
    "Drivers in RWD cars have to brake, where FWD cars pull through the turn without braking."

If the Protege was RWD, it would handle even better. You could use power to steer the car. On a FWD, putting power to the ground, steering, and braking are the responsibility of the front wheels. Not the best thing for handling.

A Rally Monkey movie? I'll bet Jackass is better.
    I haven't seen Jackass yet, and really don't plan to. It looks too dumb for words to me.
    It was pretty funny. First movie to have someone shoot bottle rockets out of their butt in Japan or show somebody roller skating with rockets attached to the skates. They drove a golf cart around a putt-putt golf course and knocked over all the statues, then flipped the golf cart going off a jump. Some guy even read a newspaper and took a crap in a display toilet at a plumbing store. This is classic stuff people......

Oh yeah, Proteges are nice.
    You know, what you said about the hardware store made me remember when I was shopping for my bathroom model about a year or so ago. I went to the Home Depot, and realized that they didn't have any commodes on the floor. Without me asking, the guy who was helping me said they didn't because "little kids see a toilet and they go in it". It cracked me up when he said it, but I guess it makes sense.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    James: They keep telling them their SUVs are made for the outdoorsy type, the adventurer in them, etc. Yet, as you said, most must crawl to a stop when taking a turn. Seems to me there's a conflict in this somewhere as true adventurers/etc would take a chance and hit the gas in a turn and see if it really flips :)

PRO-related stuff: No pinging so far since last winter, even though we have cold weather and it has snowed (a little). I used to keep the car in a heated garage last winter, but now it stays outside. Guess it likes fresh air better.

Dinu
    Take a large, juicy bite out of me.

Meade