Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I HATE it when she does that!

;D

Meade
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I know ...

I was driving around town in my Emerald Mica 2000 Mazda Protege ES 5-speed today, admiring the pull of my 1.8-liter, dual-overhead-cam, 16-valve engine with more than 48,500 miles on it, the quick, fluid throws of my 5-speed shifter, and admiring the comfort provided by this sedan even with its tight suspension, attributed to Kansei engineering, when I suddenly thought ...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

See you all January 2, and Pat, enjoy your day off from me!!!

;-)

Meade
  • Just turned 30,000 on my 00 ES. I believe we purchased our Pro's around the same time?

She still looks like the day I picked her up. Hope that last check up goes well.

Regards,
    Mark.

p.s. What's with Pat the host? She seems to single you out in a prejudicial manner? My brother works in the same building in CA. as Edmunds. Let me know if you need any help. ; )
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Heh, but *I* am not in California!!

Happy New Year everybody!

(Meade likes it when I pick on him -- can't ya tell?)
  • He likes abuse because he's a "mazdachist"
  • buried below there will interest me as a next purchase. I don't want a car that looks like a SUV. I guess my 2002 Protege will be my last Mazda. Too bad.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Either those are small wheels or that car has killer brakes.
  • Dude, they could have a Ferarri 360 Modena buried under all that cladding and we probably wouldn't know it!

Plus, the car in question is clearly the Protege5 replacement, not the sedan so its not surprising that you think it looks a little "SUV"y with all the extra cladding on it.

I know a Mazda dealer principle who has seen pictures of the new Mazda3 and he was very impressed with the way the car looks - lots of styling cues from the RX-8.

I got my fingers crossed and my hopes up on this one. I think the car is going to be a real winner for Mazda.
  • doesn't that masking they have around it remind you of hannibal?
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    plastic?!! Looks like an Altima almost. LOL!

Yep, that's a P5 alright and since when do they use smaller rear wheels than the front wheels?

Is that a Mazda3 in drag -- as in high wind resistance? ;) The former head of Mazda said it would "be unlike anything you have ever seen before." I believe it!

So THAT's who Paul sold his Protegé's bra to. LOL!

fowler3
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    20,000 miles!
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    It has to be smaller wheels. They hardly fill out the wheelwells!
    Congrats on turning 20K! :)
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    My only regret is that unlike Clint, I couldn't take a picture of the odometer hitting the 20K as I was doing 85 on the way to my friends' house on New Year's Eve.
    Don't feel bad, I have turned 20K in THREE different cars in the past 2 years, and didn't get a pic of any of them. :(
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Nice going Dale!

I don't even keep my odo to display my total mileage for fear of a panic attack if I look at it. I just leave it on trip so it's always below 1.000kms. I think I have about 49.000kms on it so far?

Took it yesterday to 85mph and the engine is wonderful. With the new tires the ride is good w/out much noise and joint-breaking harshness.

Also had it at 4.500 RPMs from 1-2 and 2-3. I always make it shift at 2.500-3.000 max.

The more I drive it the better it drives. The car is so much better now at 49.000kms than it was at 20.000kms! Worlds apart. Very smooth, better power delivery IMO, still no rattles or issues.

Maybe b/c I changed the spark plugs and did an A/T flush 1 mth ago???

Dinu
    A VERY happy PRO driver
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    Say, leave the plastic costume on and we could be looking at the next Aztek.
  • vocus: I can't remember the last time we kept a car for 20,000 miles. And that's out of a bunch of cars. My SI WILL make it to 20,000 miles though unless someone turns in front of me again.
  • Speaking of taking pictures, my camera is ready and set.

The car has 49,200 miles on it. The big 50K is coming up!