Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Good idea. I printed out the TSB and brought it in, just so there was no confusion about my "problem". I don't know why my strut was leaking. I didn't even know. It didn't affect the way the car drove. Never went rally racing in the Pro, but I have been known to scorch a few cloverleafs from time to time, but that shouldn't do it.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Perhaps you're forgetting the "Rally Monkeys" you used to run over last fall? :)

Back to the PRO now (Sorry Pat)

Dinu
    I was hoping Malt forgot about that. Malt--don't tell the Mazda folks that the leaking strut was my fault. Something got stuck up in the fender one time....
  • speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    Just to chime in (for once in a GREAT while)...my rear suspension does the same thing. Creaks when compressed by a bump, bottom of a driveway, etc...

At first I thought it was my snow tires rubbing, but then it did it with my stock tires on one cold spring day.

I asked the dealer and they said it doesn't hurt anything and nothing suggested by MNAO to correct. I have just accepted it and moved on.

Regards,

Pete
    "I have just accepted it and moved on."

Me too, but the dealer offered to replace the strut for free. I didn't even ask about it.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I thought you said the dealer offered to replace the strut for free SINCE IT WAS LEAKING.

I don't think they'll replace all four for free because they make funny noises when they're cold.

Meade
    That is what they said. The strut is leaking. I figured that it might be the cause of the creaky suspension, but I guess not. I was responding to Pete's post because of this comment: "I have just accepted it and moved on." That sounds like someone is calling someone a whiner. I am picky, but I'm not a whiner. I accepted the creak noises when cold and never complained about them because I have heard them in many cars. Cars don't like cold and they make funny noises when it's really cold. I accepted that 10 years ago when I got my license. I have never commented on the suspension creaks on this board UNTIL the dealer told me I had a leaky strut. That's all.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I didn't take Pete's comment that way.

I took it as having accepted his service guy's explanation and that's that.

I don't think anyone here has complained about the noise so much to be labeled as "whiny" -- we've just been exploring the issue.

Don't be so sensitive!

Meade
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I think you might have gotten a little confused by what Todd said too. He said about all 4 being replaced with sport type ones from the MP3, and wondering if the dealer would only charge him the labor to replace 3 since the one has to be replaced anyway.
    and said they also replaced a sway bar link???? I am going to need to talk to the technician that worked on my car. Why did it need a sway bar link?
    Maybe they had to replace it when they took out the strut. You know, break one part to get to another. That's the only thing that I could think of.
    You're probably right. I think the anti-sway bar link is attached to the strut.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    though I suspect THEY broke the link while installing the strut, because when I installed the MP3 rear sway bar on my Protege, I was able to completely remove the swaybar link from the strut without affecting or breaking anything.
    It was still warm, so I couldn't tell if the fix worked. We'll see tommorow morning. First thing I noticed when I drove it away was that the brakes seemed different. I thought, did they do something to my brakes too? They were really touchy. Then I realized I had just been driving a rental Protege with rear drums 5 minutes before. Ah ha!
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    "Then I realized I had just been driving a rental Protege with rear drums 5 minutes before."

NOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo...............
  • speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    Todd,

Ah the hazards of a written discussion...I am sorry if it sounded like I was implying that someone was whining. That was most CERTAINLY NOT my intention. I meant it as a departure from my normal overly-particular and nitpicking self that I didn't have the struts replaced under warranty because of the noise, even though I'd bet that I could convince the dealer to do so. I am a self-critical person and I really don't want to offend anyone here.

Sorry for the confusion.

BTW...Saw a Black MS3 at the dealer. Very very very cool! Wish I had 22,500 to spend right now. Or I could wait 2-3 years and spend 30k and get an RX-8. Hmmmmmmm.......

Update on the EBC Brake pads. Have almost 1000 miles on them now and they have bedded in nicely and are not SOOOOO grabby anymore. They have a really nice linearity to them and still bite better than stock pads. Tradeoff: There is a very slight, almost inaudible, squeal. Since they have no anti-squeal shim on the back like the stock pad, I suspect that's the cause. Not annoying or intrusive, just different.

A lot of questions a while back about checking brakes for how much is left....here's a tip. The stock brake pads have a metal tab that will start to rub the rotor and make a LOUD squealing sound when there is about 1-2/16ths of pad left. You won't mistake the sound. You'll likely notice a drop in the brake fluid level or see your dashboard brake warning light sometime before your pads wear out. I did. When I pulled my pads they still had 5-7k left in them. That was at 37k. Turned 38k on the car on the way home from band practice tonight. Looks like I'll hit the 75k before the 7yrs on my extended warranty.

Regards to all,

Pete
    Only 38K so far? I turned 31.3K tonight.. :) I drive wayyyy too much...

Speaking of which, these high gas prices choking anyone else? I paid 172.9 a gallon for 89 octane tonight in Baltimore, MD. :(
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Don't worry, I've been to busy to add any fuel to that fire. :-D
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    that's not too bad, it's 1.67/gal for REGULAR here in NoVA....
    I know, I always try to remember to gas up before going to work (in Lanham, where 50 and 495 meet). It's the same price, or higher, there.