Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mazdanymazdany Posts: 28
    1. Does the Pro need to have it's bearings repacked? When?

2. Does the Pro still need a chassis lube?

The owners manual does not address these issues.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Don't know about the bearings being repacked, but I would think the owner's manual would say something about that. Maybe it's one of the 'inspect' things on the 30/60/90K list...

The Protege's (and most new cars') suspension is lubed for life, no lubes needed.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    both front and rear are sealed bearings so no re-packing is needed.
  • Folks looking for all-season tires for pro's may want to check out the contiextreme contact, available in 205/55-15 and 205/55-16 for cheap. Letters from users are positive, but no tests yet.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Proteges never had grease fittings, ever.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I haven't seen many posts lately. Maybe everyone is either in DC PROtesting, folks, they don't mean our Pros, or watching the basketball tournaments?

fowler3
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    the oil fields we will be very happy we have economical cars. :D

I heard some place if that disaster happens gas prices could stay high for a year or more. Hope our guys from Ft. Bragg get there in time.

fowler3
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Basketball today (Duke-Carolina rematch makes my Saturday, although I am pulling for State to win it all). Sickness for the past week.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    in the 6 forum nowadays. There's even more activity in the Mazda3 sedan and wagon forums...

BTW, my PRO is doing great!

Dinu
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    I rolled down my windows today, after 5 months.
    I was like....man out of the prison :)

WoW....the sweet roar of the 1.8L with the windows down...simply magnificent....My personal opinion is that this sweet throaty midrange roar cannot be accomplished by any ALL ALuminium engine... never.... CI block rules when it comes to tuning the engine for a sweet sound under acceleration & which does not peter down when shifting gears.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Posts: 361
    Short 750K WMV vido of my Protege and friend's Miata. Tell me what you think.

http://www.knology.net/~negatize/images/Protege.WMV
  • I hope Mazda is working hard, because the next auto I buy will be a hybrid or some other high fuel economy vehicle. As much as I enjoy zoom-zooming, I don't enjoy the prospect of driving on a highway paved with the death of innocent people.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    Oh yeah :)

That's all I have to say.

Dinu
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Careful Tom. Pat burned me on another board for bringing politics into the discussion.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    well, yes -- this is a car place. There are plenty of other sites on the web where those kinds of thoughts can be examined and argued and what have you. But most of our membership appreciates the fact that this site is a place to escape from all of that, at least for a time.

So let's not go there, okay?
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Has the IRS officially started allowing the $2,000 hybrid fuel economy deduction for the 2003 Tax year? I tell you, the Honda Civic hybrid might be of interest to me with a $2,000 hybrid fuel economy tax deduction. I doubt, Mazda would invest in hybrid technology. Don't fit the Zoom Zoom image. However, Ford is looking at a hybrid technology for there infamous Exploder er...ah...Explorer Sport-utility vehicle. Maybe, Fords hybrid technology could find it's way into a future Mazda product?

-Larry
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    the whole hybrid thing. My old CRX HF got 60mpg without any special technology. Some old Metro or something got about the same thing. I know the CRX was just a 2 seater and these new hybrids are sedans and now maybe even larger, but for those just looking for a commuter car a 2 seater would be fine.

If we're so concerned about mileage, but bring those high mileage cars back.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Marketing folk would have a hard time selling that now.
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    IMHO, if we care about environment, we should start by:

- providing better public transportations,
    - lowering the number of cars that driking the most of fuels: V8 SUV and pickup truck,
    - introducing more diesel engines.

With respect to the car like the Protege, the hybrid will save 1-1.5 gallons per 100 miles, at most, and those V8-SUV consumes 2-2.5 gallons more. Pick your choice.

The hybrid is a nice technological showcase, but it won't do much for environment, at least not for now.

Bruno