Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Owners Care and Maintenance

Comments

• jeepkidjeepkid Posts: 2
    I recently rotated my tires, and now sometimes when i go to brake i get a violent shake, i never experienced the problem before the rotation. is there any suggestions as to what i should do, it is a 96 jeep cherokee 5-speed manual.
  • ricardonricardon Posts: 2
    What's the best way to clean these wheels? Stock wheels on a 2004 JGC Rocky Mtn Edition.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Eagle One 2n1 Tire/Wheel cleaner.
  • udornvetudornvet Posts: 2
    I just returned from the dealer Friday from getting a trans service, filter, etc...He recommended changing the spark plugs, so I told him I would do it myself, since he was going to charge me $70.00 to replace them ...Well on returning home I took a quick look under the hood to see what was so special about these plugs...Well, it seems I cannot even find them!! Does anyone here have any experience in changing these culprits, and know where they are. They must be behind, or under something...Been working on cars since 1968 or so, and I've never seen plugs so well hidden...

Thanks ;)
  • udornvetudornvet Posts: 2
    Just figured it out on another site...

They don't even look the same as a conventional older spark plug wires, plus they are underneath a special square looking cover which has 10mm nuts securing it down on the plug...Not too bad a job, but you just have to remove a few things to get to them, without doing any damage to surrounding components, and electrical connectors...

Question now is, is it worth saving the $70.00 to do it myself?
  • baddog8360baddog8360 Posts: 4
    All I can say is I have put over 180K miles on my '97 Wrangler and its still running strong. About 10% of those miles have been offroad [the beach and the mountains]. The rest have been city driving and long highway commutes. I have had two problems. One the exhaust manifold cracked, which I found out later was a problem inherent with the 97 Wrangler. Cost me about $170US for the re-designed replacement and about three hours work to replace it out. The second was a burned out rear bearing, my fault for not paying attention when I had the gear oil changed @ 100K miles. The folk at the "quickie lube" store didn't re-tighten everything. Cost to repair was about $150US for the parts and getting the bearing pressed on. But again the later problem was due to my stupidity and would have happened no matter what type of vehicle I owned.
    Overall, I am very pleased with the reliability of my 97 Wrangler, wouldn't trade it for anything. If you know of a good mechanic to make sure the fluids are changed on schedule or better yet you can do it yourself, I don't think you could find a more reliable vehicle. Especially one that is so fun to drive.
    By the way, the folks who questioned the wrangler's reliability, did they actually ever own a jeep? :)
    First thing I would do is drive the Cherokee slowly, about 10 to 15 mph, for a about a mile or so. Not using the brakes. Try to notice if you have any vibration in the steering. If you don't feel any vibration, try going slow and LIGHTLY slow down. Do you feel the vibration? Have the front brake rotors checked. They can become slightly warped and may need to be turned down a bit. Many tire stores also do brake work and have the ability to check and repair this without having to replace the rotors. If you notice the vibration while you are "just driving" or when you are braking while in a turn, have the front end lubed and then drive it to see if that fixed the problem. If not have the front-end, ball joints and such, checked out.Good Luck!
    Don't own a Liberty, but most fixed antennas can be unscrewed at the base. You might need a pair of pliers to get it loosened up first. I keep the antenna on my Wrangler finger snug all the time, so that when I need to remove it I don't need my pliers. Just make sure it is actually hand tight and not wobbling before you drive off.
  • Hi Y'all!
    I've got a quick question I was hoping to get some help with...I've got a 01 Sahara and I recently noticed the thread (seam) above the zipper on my side window is almost completely unraveled :cry: At this point the window is only being held up by the zelcro!! I'm so bummed!
    What's my best option to get this fixed?? Should I look into getting a new soft top or can it be rethreaded?? Does anyone know how much that would cost...and last but not least how to I keep this from happening again????
    Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!
    ;) d
  • Does anyone know what is going on? This is not normal, and it does not happen ALL the time, but it is happening more and more frequently. Very scary! When I accelerate to get on the highway, at about 50-55 mph, my 02 Wrangler X shakes violently, until I reach 60 or so. Does anyone know why? Is it safe to drive? I am nervous to take it to a dealer, because they always think they can charge me more because i am a girl. But I need to know if this is dangerous or not. If you have any ideas, please, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    ChrisCOug
  • lawmlawm Posts: 1
    Help, I bought my wife a new Liberty in December as a part of her graduation gift from nursing school, then dressed it up with lots of Jeep accessories, then at 7k miles the rear differential went out, now again at 12k miles the rear differential is going out again, we pull nothing, have a receiver hitch for bike rack, is it us, or is someone else having the same problem,
  • 97wrangler97wrangler Posts: 5
    Does anybody know the size of the nut on the axleshaft stud? I seem to be having trouble find this bit of information out. Any response is appreciated.
  • mallenmallen Posts: 2
    my 98 jgc seems to blow the relay in the ac-console
    i have had it at the dealer all they did was replace the relay and charge 200 bucks
    it worked for 2 days and then blew again
    when i took it back they wanted to charge me 300 more to replace the blower mtor(which is not the problem) and i still do not have a/c
    does any one know where to purchase the relays and what could make them go out?
  • paulepaule Posts: 382
    I'm guessing you have the 5.9L engine? If that is the case, your relay will be found in the power distribution box in the engine compartment. If you do have the 5.9 and you're blowing the relay, I would look at your cooling fan. It is possible the electric fan is having a problem and causing the relay to blow.
    I would check an auto parts store for the relay and if they don't have it, go through your dealer's parts department and install it yourself.
  • mallenmallen Posts: 2
    at the risk of sounding dumb what do you mean by cooling fan? the fan that blows the air through the vents or the fan at the front of the engine???
    thanks so much
  • Please pardon me if you're reading this post a second time. I posted it in the Wrangler forum, and never really heard anything back.

I have a 2005 SE with 537 miles on it, and I've noticed that the 6sp manual-shift transmission makes an intermittent ringing noise when my foot is NOT on the clutch. The slightest pressure on the clutch makes the noise go away. It sounds rather a bit like crickets chirping. Incidentally, I crawled part-way under the vehicle when it was making the noise and it is not engine noise. It's coming from the left front side of the transmission.

I know that a similar noise made by the transmission when the cluch pedal is depressed can indicate a failing throw-out bearing, but this noise eminates in the inverse circumstance. At any rate, I can't believe a throw-out bearing would make noise in a brand-new car.

The vehicle is returning to the dealer for a center console installation tomorrow, so I'll ask then. I'm just curious of any of you have had the same/similar problems.

I know quite a bit about performance automotive mechanics, but that knowledge is usually applied to 40+ year-old cars. These 'new-fangled' machines are a bit beyond my range of experience. Heck, I couldn't even find the shift fork on this monster.

Thanks for your input!

Will Seberger
    2005 Wrangler SE
    Beryl Green
    at the risk of sounding dumb what do you mean by cooling fan? the fan that blows the air through the vents or the fan at the front of the engine???

Not a dumb question at all. Assuming you have the 5.9, you may have an electric cooling fan (the one up front by the radiator) instead of a mechanical clutch-type cooling fan. That is the one I was referring to.

This repair gets a little involved so you might want to think about a Jeep repair shop.
  • Sorry to get back to you so long after you posted, but my answer (opinion) is yes. The situation you describe can be quite dangerous.

I've never had this problem on my Jeep (but then, I've only had it for 2 weeks). My old GMC had this problem frequently, however.

The first time it happened, it was a partially seperated tire tread. Remember in the mid 90's when tread seperation was causing Explorers to roll over? This is the same problem, just a different brand of tire. You should take your Jeep somewhere to have the tires inspected.

Another time, it was a worn control arm (suspension component that essentially holds your wheel on) in the front suspension.

Of course, it could be another mechanical problem. Whatever it is, you should have it serviced.

And remember, in defence of being overcharged or under-serviced, ask to see any parts that were replaced (the used parts they took out) as well as a breakdown of what's on your bill. Believe it or not, dealership service departments are not out to screw you as much as they used to be, because service has become a mainstay of Chrysler's (Jeep's) income. They literally can't afford for you to go somewhere else for service.\

Additionally, I'm not sure how long they've offered the X model, but it may still be under warranty.

I hope things work out well for you.
  • alexi53alexi53 Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Sahara and I need some help trying to get the soft top clean. I have tried using a "mild cleanser" but to no avail. The mud is still there. The first week I switched out the tops, it rained and stained my top. It looks like little "rust" spots. I am so frustrated. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Quadratec(as well as several other vendors) sells Raggtop cleaner and protectant. You might give it a try-it's good stuff.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    Try this site. I use many of these products.

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home
  • the cheapest place to go is a Upholstery shop for a car. their in the phone book they have the sewing machines that can handle the larger/thicker materials.

had this happen to my first jeep

hope this helps. :shades:
    a
  • the cheapest place to go is a Upholstery shop for a car. their in the phone book they have the sewing machines that can handle the larger/thicker materials.

had this happen to my first jeep

hope this helps.
    a
  • youn0813youn0813 Posts: 28
    So my 2004 JGC Ltd. has 16000 on it and I took it for an oil change a month ago. I noticed on the maintenance logbook that came with the car, I was supposed to do "Lubricate upper knuckle ball stud at steering & suspension ball joints ($104.95)." The dealership further recommended me that I do "brake flush" ($129.95) and "power steering flush ($99.95)." Now, I ask you guy who know more about this kind of things than me, are these required, especially the one from the maintenance logbook? (I realize that I'll have to do them eventually). I'm thinking about just another workshop and do it cheaper. NOTE: Also, I just noticed today that there's some liquid leaking from my car. I found this colorless and ordorless liquid on the ground below where the engine is. It wasn't sticky or anything, kind of felt like water, but I saw the liquid this morning. It looked pretty "fresh," and it's not A/C water because I didn't use AC the night before. Anyone knows what kind of liquid would that be?? I didn't taste it by the way. Any comments will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks a bunch in advance!
  • joevfrjoevfr Posts: 1
    Sorry so late for a reply...I just joined the board. I have a '99 Wrangler that had a similiar shake. I had found that the steering stabilizer was failed. The steering stabilizer is like a litte shock absorber mounted parallel to the ground, and is connected to your tie rod. I changed it out easily enough, but then noticed that my sway bar was also disconnected at both ends. I think they came apart because of the stabilizer, but I am not sure. Does the shaking get worse when you slow down? It did on mine. I would definitely get it looked at because of the potential of losing control of the vehicle and the other damage you may cause to your Jeep. Hope this helps, let me know what you find.
  • myboybluemyboyblue Posts: 56
    Mopar has a top cleaner you can pick up from any dealership in the parts department. The stuff worked great on my mud stains (and I had a few.) Hope this helps.
    The liquid is most likely water. If you had your defroster on, the AC will run and that can cause the water. Take a piece of cardboard and put it under your Jeep. If the liquid on the cardboard looks like water then it probably is.
    Your dealer is a crook on the other things by the way. 16,000 miles is way too low for what they're trying to sell you.
    Go to a Jiffy Lube or a place like that and see if they recommend it.
  • hildy1645hildy1645 Posts: 1
    Hey yall,
    I just recently took a road trip w/ my '95 wrangler (2.5L manual trans). Coming off the highway, my 5th gear revved all the way up and died. every other gear works fine but the 5th gear is gone. does anybody know what they think the problem is and how much it would cost to fix. Thanks!
  • jpstnkjpstnk Posts: 1
    My 99 Jeep Wrangler makes a crazy klunk klunk klunk noise that I think is coming from the axle or bearings, not sure. This noise only occurs when I drive the Jeep and the Jeep is 'warmed' up. I know the noise is not from the engine or the tranny. Just had my brakes worked on not too long ago. I am pushing 33 inch tires with a 4 inch SkyJacker, does any one think its the stock axle or stock bearings I have?
    thanks
    JP
  • bjeepbjeep Posts: 2
    Ihave an 03 JGC and the fan quit working. I have purchased a new relay and was looking for any insight on its removal