Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Owners Care and Maintenance

Comments

• jimlw2jimlw2 Posts: 122
    I've seen some products offered that are simply plastic or metal strips that attached to the roll bars and provide a slight outward bowing shape. I'm not sure if they're just for full soft tops but I would think they'd work for bikini tops as well. Check quadratec.com or even jcwhitney.com. Good luck.
  • Try looking for engine codes on this site:

http://www.troublecodes.net/chrysler/
  • Hello Chris,
    My name is Ian. I just happened to see your post on the problem with your '02 Jeep. I indeed have the same problem with my '03 Sahara. The dealer changed the Steering dampener, the shocks, and even had all tires rotated and balanced. Unfortunately, the problem is still there. Luckily the local dealer is very helpful. They are still trying to figure out what's going on.

Anyway, I did a google search and some one (who had the same problem) had the front drive shaft replaced and the problem is gone. So have you solved the shaking problem on your jeep yet?
  • Hello Will,
    I actually noticed that grinding noise on my 2003 Jeep, too. It is like that all the time. From what I heard, Chrysler put in a newer manual transmission since the year 2000 and everytime when we release the clutch, you will hear the grinding noise. It does not do any damage to your Jeep at all though. I think it's true because I have owned many manual transmission wranglers in the past; a '97 SE, a '98 Sahara, a '00 Sahara and now a '03 Sahara, the first two did not have that problem but the last two. Hope that helps.
  • algcoalgco Posts: 1
    I'm a new Jeep Wrangler owner and just bought a 1989 Wrangler. Gone there replaceing the shocks. I want to replace the Steering Damper but seems I can't get it off. Is there a trick to this, is it a bolt holding it to the tie rod or what?
  • im 17 and i just bought a grand cherokee limited. i went to shift it from 4x4 high to 4x4 low and wen i put it in drive it didnt move. does any1 hav any idea what im doin wrong? :confuse:
  • jimlw2jimlw2 Posts: 122
    I have a Wrangler with the Command Trac 4x4 system. My understanding from the manual is that you have to be moving 2-3 mph when shifting into 4-Lo. The manual had some specific steps to follow if you want to shift into 4-Lo while not moving. I don't have my manual in front of me but I think it involved shutting off the engine. My dealer mentioned something about sometimes having to drive forward in 2-Hi for about 10 feet and then shifting into 4-Lo if nothing happens.

I also remember something about having to go back into 2-Hi and then shifting smoothly right into 4-Lo rather than stopping at 4-Hi but that may have been my wife's Liberty manual using Select Trac 4x4 system.

Sorry I can't answer your question clearly...just trying to give you some ideas. Good luck.
  • my 200 wrangler makes a terible clunking noise when 4 wheel low is engaged - also a slight ticking noise when in 2 wheel drive untill i hit about 40 mph- any ideas ?
  • tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    You got it right only have one ground wire there
  • Every 2 or 3 days i have to replace anti-freeze. I have replaced the thermostat, and the fan clutch. Where is the anti-freeze going? Is it a clogged radiator,or bad water pump I don't know, there are no leaks. There is no smoke, and the car runs smooth. Normal driving at low speed it does not overheat, only at high speeds. I hope I don't have a cracked block.
  • Hello. I have a 1997 Limited and a 2002 Overland. Both have similar clock setting rules. With an ink pen in hand look at the face of your clock. You should see two small recesses in the upper right hand side of the face. One marked hour and the other marked minutes.
    Inserting the pen into each recess adjusts your clock to the desired time.
  • i have a question i have a 2003 liberty and need to change the trany fluid and can't find any atf-4 anywhere except the dealer and they want $8.50 to $12.00 a qt.my question is can i use atf-5 instead of 4 and where if not where can i get 4 besides the dealer?Thank you.
    stugots39. :confuse:
  • I have a 95 Wrangle with a 4 cyl, checking the oil and found anti-freeze on the dip stick. I started out with looking over and under the jeep and did a compression test: all were fine. Than I pulled the head, found no cracks on the head or block. The gasket was intact. Out of ideas of what is the problem.
  • backup lamps are good. but the backup lamps will not turn on when i put it in reverse. can some one help.
  • 300kjeep300kjeep Posts: 2
    My 92 Cherokee Laredo has developed a leak near the oil filter. Anybody experience this problem, and what needs to be fixed?
  • 300kjeep300kjeep Posts: 2
    On my 92 Jeep you hold in the Clock button till the hour is displayed, then you either hit the plus or minus button on to get to the correct hour. Hit the Clock button again to get to the minutes, and do the same, use the plus or minus button to get to the correct minutes, then when finished hit the Clock button again to end.
  • jvprjvpr Posts: 48
    i have a 2004 wrangler with this same problem. could this be from not changing the oil / lubricant. it's a very loud clicking noise. when i accelerate, it gets louder. the dealer told me that my engine was blown. is the engine fixable. the jeep runs- only makes a loud and obnoxious tapping noise as if someone was under the hood banging away. what do you think? i need help...
  • mcorummcorum Posts: 4
    The diagram for the belt is usually on the radiator cowling.
  • mcorummcorum Posts: 4
    I have a 96 GrandCherokee 4.0 6cyl. After about 30 minutes of driving it starts pulsing like you are patting the gas pedal. It only does this after 30 minutes or so of driving. I have had it to 2 dealers and 1 local mech. The codes say multiple misfires, but no one can diagnose. It had a cracked exhaust manifold and I replaced that, but still does same thing. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
  • xscoutxscout Posts: 141
    Most likely this is an electrical problem. I would try replacing the plugs and wires first, unless you have done them recently this is good maintenance procedure. Also, have you had to add any coolant since this problem started?