Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Owners: Recalls & TSBs

Comments

• I had the same problem with my 2005 Rubicon Unlimited with a factory hardtop (which has never been removed). I originally thought the water was coming in through the vent on the front cowl. Took it into my dealer who did a water and compressed air test. As it turns out, the leak was under the folding windshield. It would only leak during torrential rains coming from the right direction. They ordered and replaced the gasket under the windshield and hopefully the problem is fixed. Under warranty. Obviously, the factory misinstalled the gasket.

Harlan
  • My 2005 Wrangler sport is making, what the jeep service people are calling a "fluffy" noise. It sounds like a rythmic ticking especially while accelerating. It doesn't happen all the time and is more pronounced at times. They are telling me this is a normal engine sound. Does anyone else experience this? Any input would be welcome! Thanks!
  • I actually saw the water coming in on both sides of the Jeep through the plastic framing around the doors. (There is a rubber gasket on the top of the frame and the water was just pouring in there.) I know many, many 2005's are having this problem -- I snooped around a car dealership parking lot after one of the torrential rains we had here in NJ and all of the X's in the lot had wet floors.

Chrysler initially admitted there was a problem and has now changed their tune. I have been to two dealership service depts. and neither knew/knows how to fix the problem. So right now my Sport is sitting at the second dealership -- has been there for a week while they "trouble-shoot" and "wait for parts to come in."
  • I just bought a 2005 Sport (12 miles out the lot) last week. I too found it odd to hear that noise coming from a "new" engine (I hear more of a knocking noise). I was thinking of taking it in, but I'm not too concerned at this point, since I got the warranty :). Other than that, I love driving the hell out of it.

Let me know if you find out anything else.
  • john81john81 Posts: 60
    If you follow troubleshooting techniques, it is not a "hardware" problem, but seems to be intermittant or possibly temperature/wiring sensitive.
    What I would do is to get a Grand Cherokee book and isolate all wires which have connections through the firewall. Then meter out all the wires on both sides of the firewall. I do not know if a diagnostic machine actually meters each wire, sensor, switch or contact which leads to the main computer chip controlling temperature. What you are looking for is an electrical short. This short is related to a temperature sensor or electrical system to control temperature.
    In order to duplicate the gripe, you need to determine length of motor operation, speed, temperature at shut-off or something that might coorelate to the gripe. The technician needs some help in isolating the gripe in order to program the diagnostic machine.
    A common problem with jeeps are faulty connectors passing wires through the firewall. If any wire is shorted or has a high resistant short, it will shut off at various random times/operations. Quiz your technician, because he's probably clueless on what he should be looking for.
    This problem is also occurs when joy riding through water and the firewall gets splashed with water or mud.
    See if that helps.
    John
  • I had same problem but with a hardtop. I was also told that hardtops tend to leak by the manager. (This was after 4 attempted repairs). They switched my hardtop with another one from another new Jeep. Before they made the switch they brought the other new Jeep through a car wash. It leaked. They switched the tops anyway. Still leaks. Do you think that this is cause to file lemon law papers?
  • What year do you have? I am still trying to work something out with the dealership where I bought my Sport, but Lemon Law :lemon: may have to be the way to go. You have to check the Lemon Law in your state to see if you have met all the requirments -- and it is not a quick fix by any means. In the interim, you still have to deal with your car's problems and make your car and insurance payments (to keep your credit rating.) The sad thing is, I LOVE my Sport. It's great except for the fact that it leaks like Niagra Falls everytime it rains! ;) :cry:
  • I have a 2005 Rocky Mountain ed. (X) Wrangler. I wrote Chrysler about the problem and they said there was nothing they could do. Lemon Law requires either a dangerous problem with the car (which I don't have) or the problem substantially reduces the value (which I might). I'm having a great time with the car, but I'd sure like to have a top that doesn't leak and leave puddles on the floor of the car.
  • Nothing they can do...that's what they told me in so many words. Actually, the rep who spoke with me on the phone said it was my problem. He also said Wranglers are designed to leak. That really made me laugh out loud.

It's all absolute nonsense. Chrysler is blowing us all off because they know they have a major problem with a lot of their 2005 Wranglers and are just hoping all of us who bought the defective cars will go away. Which I won't, by the way! ;)

The amount of water these leaking Wranglers are taking in is beyond what would ever be considered "acceptable" (if, in fact, taking in any water is acceptable) or "normal." And water damage most certainly will signficantly reduce the value of the cars, as the interiors will eventually rust out and the cars will start to stink. Try trading in, or reselling a car with rust all over the floorboards, or one that stinks like mold.

If all 2005 Wranglers were, in fact, "designed" to leak, then all of the 2005 Wranglers should be leaking everytime they get wet -- but they don't. I am currently still trying to work with the dealership where I bought the Sport in hopes of getting this issue resolved. Will keep you posted.

BTW: right now my Sport is in my driveway, wrapped up nice and tight in a brand new Home Depot tarp in anticipation of the rain we are supposed to have here again in the Garden State this evening/tomorrow. :mad:
  • Have 2003 Grand Cherokee LTD w/ 50K miles. Have noticed that the heater can be set, but only driver side is blowing heat, but not the passenger side. Only cool/cold air is coming out right now. Dealer mentioned something about blend duct door unit and est. labor (10 hrs.) and part to be around $200 for around $1200 total. Already have heard that warranty does not cover. Any helpful hints other than telling wife to dress warm?
  • My son purchased a new 05 Unlimited Jeep and received a recall for the camshaft gear replacement. My question is, did anybody else have this recall preformed and how long did it take to complete? Jeep HQ. said that it should only take 9 hours and the Jeep dealer has had his Jeep for two days and it is still not finished. Now, they say that they might have to pull the engine out of the vehicle. This is a 5 Star Chrysler/Jeep dealer he is dealing with, but I still feel that they don't know what they are doing with this recall notice.

So, anybody know how long it took to replace the camshaft gear on their Jeep recall? Did your Jeep run/perform correctly after it was repaired?

Thanks!
  • Had exact same problem with my 2001 Grand Cherokee LTD. Estimated 800 in labor 200 in parts and then when they opened it up they said it looked like I was going to need a new condenser, so they replaced that. Total cost 1200, but everything in heat and air seem to be working fine. Thats all I can tell you.
  • quiequie Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee with 72K miles and I had the same problem. I had the dealer to repair it and it took about 7 hours. The price would have been about $1100, but the service manager gave me a big break on the repairs, therefore it was a no brainer for me. Notify the Manufacture that you had this problem on your 03 and they may give you some consideration for a warranty repair. this should not be happening on these vehicles. I think that it is a flaw in the design of the heater.

Quie
  • Bought an '05 Wrangler SE soft top in May. Noticed large puddle of water on driver's side. Dealer said it was fixed, problem with a new door design for 2005. Today it rained and today I have another puddle. My first jeep, and I love it but I won't put up with this. Dealer is taking a second look.
  • gogalgogal Posts: 2
    I had this problem with my 2000 JEEP Grand Cherokee. All it was was the O2 sensor. Cost under $100.
  • gogalgogal Posts: 2
    3 PROBLEMS IN LESS THAN 3 WEEKS
    Rear wiper goes on when it feels like. Also it comes on for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on. The cruise just stopped working and the light doesn't even appear on the dash. I checked all the fuses and I can't figure it out. Also the temp is not reading right on my upper console. Everything else is accurate except that. I have changed the sensor but that didn't do anything. Even if it is -15 it could read +7. Extremely confused.....please help. :confuse:
  • My friend has a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. She has had 6 radiators since 2001. Jeep can't tell her why they are failing. Now the 6th radiator is leaking. Does anyone have any insight??
  • hey,
    Read your posting and i will soon be starting my own Lemon Law case. My 2005 Wranler Sport goes back to the dealership tomorrow for the 4th time since Jan. it will be well over the 30 day maximum for attempted repairs after the latest stint at the dealership. can you provide me with any more info on how you went about getting a full refund? any advice, info, whatever will help. if you could, please reply at jehnmg@hotmail.com, as I check this regularly. If anyone else is out there and knows any tricks on how to get your money back (I live in NY), please let me know.

Thanks, MJ
  • Mine was not a Lemon Law case, as Chrysler's "official" public statement is the "Wranglers are designed to leak." Chrysler will still not, to this day, admit that there is a BIG problem with the 2005 Wranglers leaking massive amounts of water. So a Lemon Law case will be an uphill battle, take months (if not years) to resolve and, perhaps, not come out in your favor. (Everyone throws around the term "Lemon Law" nowadays, but it is a slow process, certainly not a quick fix, or even a sure thing.)

My attorney worked directly with the dealership where I bought my Sport and resolved it that way. We found other 2005 Wranglers on their new car lot that leaked also (that they were selling as brand spanking new cars, even though they knew they leaked) and told them we would contact the media if need be to spread the word about their dealership and the kinds of autos they were selling. (I am a journalist.)

The bottom line is that no one would listen to me as a consumer. It took an attorney to get them to listen. And listen they did.

Here's the overview. My Sport had been in and out of the dealership service dept., while they attempted to repair it, since September 2005. The last time I brought it there, it sat at the dealership garage for nearly two months while they attempted to work with Chrysler to find out why it was leaking so terribly.

Turns out, during that time, they left the Sport outside in all kinds of horrible weather and made no attempt to keep the car dry (even though they knew it leaked.)

I went up to the dealership on a hunch one Sunday to see if the Sport was in the garage,(we had just had a big ice storm the night before, and I had a gut feeling which told me to visit the dealership to check on the car.) Sure enough, the Sport was outside, in an open, unsecured parking lock, unlocked. Hunch confirmed.

I opened the door and the inside of the Sport was filled with 3" of standing ice on both sides of the floor. (The water that had leaked into the Sport over the last few weeks had frozen solid.) So the Sport was basically trashed -- while in the dealership's care. (At least when I had it in my care, I kept it dry by covering it each time it rained with a huge tarp.)

Here's the kicker: each and every time I had called the dealership to see if any progress had been made in figuring out why the Sport was leaking, they assured me that the it was inside the garage, safe and dry. Liars.

Keep in mind, even though I had no use of the Sport while it was sitting at the dealership "being fixed" I had to continue to pay my car payments and car insurance. I was out quite a lot of money at the end of the day, but comparatively speaking, I got off cheap.

BTW: I also had a heck of a time getting Chrysler Financial to issue me a "0 Balance" letter, indicating that the Sport had been paid off. They got their money promptly, but made me squirm to get what I needed. Surprise, surprise.

My advice? Get an attorney and get ready for a good fight, realizing that you may (or may not) come out victorious.
  • :mad: I traded in a 1994 S-10 Blazer with 140k on the 4.3 ltr V6 for a 2005 Liberty Limited 3.7 4x4 Automatic. My Blazer was in great condition and getting a little over 20 mpg highway. My wife talked me into getting rid of it. So I saw the EPA sticker on the Liberty boasting 22 mpg highway and I loved the size. After 7 months and 7000 highway miles, I can't even get close to 16 mpg highway. I've talked to a number of Service Managers who say they are getting a number of complaints, but Jeep does not offer any software upgrades nor adjustment suggestions. One Service Manager told me he had two customers sell their vehicles after less than a year.