Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Owners: Accessories & Modifications

yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
edited March 2014 in Jeep
Hey all

Anyone have safari doors? I want to know if they have a place to put the rear-view mirror, or if I'll need mirror movers also.

Mike

Comments

• sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    You will have to relocate the mirrors
  • tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    Could anyone tell me what company makes
    the Mopar tubular bumpers? I am interested
    in the aluminum versions and the only place
    I have found them is the Mopar Jeep Accessories
    catalog. -tjray
  • pabonpabon Member Posts: 1
    I have a black soft top which came with my 2000 Wrangler Sport. I used for 2 weeks and switched to the hard top. I then traded in the car and dealer never asked for soft top. Now I have this like new soft top which is just collecting dust. It will fit a 1997-2000 model wrangler and costs $995.00 new from dealer. I am asking $350.00 plus cost of shipping to wherever. This top fits the model with full door--top goes above a fixed full door to top of winshield. If anyone needs--contact me a Boniecki@colint.com.
  • jacorobjacorob Member Posts: 37
    Well, with the accident i was in (not my fault) i get to have my stock front bumper replaced. Woo hoo! I've been wanting to get that changed to an aftermarket for a while and now the insurance company is giving me $140 + labor to get it changed!

So i chose the warn rock crawler bumper. like the way it looks and it already came with attachment points for rings, hooks, and lights. Now i just gotta figure out a way to get my insurance to pay for a lift. ;)

Bob
  • wranglerloverwranglerlover Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody...I just bought a 2001 Wrangler Sport and was hoping to get some advice on security/alarm options. Can anyone make a recommendation?
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Perhaps one of you Jeepers can answer my query. We have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0, 5 speed transmission. I have been contemplating the purchase of a tow bar that has two connecting plates that bolt to the front bumper and terminates into a wishbone type arm(s) with a coupler. That's the easy part. Now, my question is, does one just put the transfer case in neutral just and release the parking brake, or is there other considerations such as locking (unlocking) the front wheel steering, etc.? Can anyone help?

Bookitty
  • wranglerchuckwranglerchuck Member Posts: 3
    You may want to try this:

Splice the ignition wire at the starter with a HEAVY DUTY toggle switch and fairly heavy gauge wire leads. This will cut off the power source to the starter. If you have a console mount the toggle switch in there. Remeber to paint the switch black so it doesn't stand out.

If you have an electric fuel pump you can do the same to that. Just remember to splice the power feed and not the fuel gauge wire.

You can also buy the stuff to conceal the wires under the Jeep. Its that plastic tubing that the factory uses to protect the wire harnesses. Tape the ends well so that the wire doesn't show. This makes the job look professional in case the crook has time to look for the reason why "his/her brand-new Jeep" won't start!
  • dennis81dennis81 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know how to remove the factory cross bars on roofrack of the 2000 JGC? I have a Yakima system attached to the rails, but the factory crossbars are in the way. With my Explorer, I was able to loosen a couple of screws and slide them off, but I can't figure these out.
  • jayorionjayorion Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive hardtop for my 1990 Wrangler YJ? Do they make hardtops for that year?
    Try this site:

http://www.quadratec.com

Bookitty

• jayorionjayorion Member Posts: 18
    I Tried it. Looks like they have some great stuff.
    Thanks

Jayorion
  • kkuligkkulig Member Posts: 150
    Dennis81... to remove your crossbars you need to pop the rear caps off the side rails and slide the crossbars off at the rear of the roof rack. I'm not exactly sure how these rear caps are installed... snapped on or bolted. You should be able to figure this out by looking at them.

Oops... from the date of your post, I'm sure you've found this out by now! ;0)
  • hansm14hansm14 Member Posts: 16
    I own a 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo without factory fog lights.I would like to install some, but would I have to drill out the front bumper for the brackets?Thank you
  • hansm14hansm14 Member Posts: 16
    Anyone ever install an after market keyless entry system?How difficult is it?I bought a used grand cherokee and I could not get the remote for it.Dealer wants over a hundred dollars for one.Thank you.
  • 98jettavr698jettavr6 Member Posts: 47
    Last month, I paid $100 for a second remote AND key for my '99 JGC Ltd. Dealer said key could not be duplicated elsewhere, b/c of the embedded anti-theft device, however, the remote alone was only $45.
  • ellhefellhef Member Posts: 1
    If anyone knows a good website that tells how to install an Amplifier and Subwoofer sound system into my Jeep, I would really appreciate it. I have a box with 2 10" Subs and a 420 Watt amp with a JVC 45x4 Watt Deck. The Deck is installed, but the Amp and Subs aren't. I have all the cords and connectors I need also. Thanks for the help!!
  • comanche_ajcomanche_aj Member Posts: 18
    its my turn to talk about my jeep comanche, most of you are saying "whats that?", its a cherokee pickup okay, i have to say that so you get a mental picture, i have jks quicker disconnects (the owner is my father), ACOS coil spacers, bilstein gas shocks model 5150, coil-over leaf-springs in the rear, track-bar, shock conversions, new motor mounts, with 34" Mickey Thompson TrXus(by interco) tires, custom front bumper and Warn winch, IPF headlights and to top it all off a 3cd in-dash changer from a nissan frontier. if anyone wants to talk about jeepin in rapid city, talk to charley at Chimney Canyon 4x4 and he'll get a hold of me, or if you want to talk back to me, e-mail me at psychokid23@hotmail.com and put the subject as Jeep talk 22 so i'll know not to delete it with the rest of the crap i get.
    -ajjjjjjjjjjj
  • rmosierrmosier Member Posts: 1
    HELP! Anyone know how, or where is a good place to mount a large CB (Galaxy 979) in my wrangler? And who makes the best antenna mount? Thanks in advance..Ray
  • xxxrubiconxxxrubicon Member Posts: 1
    HI, NEW HERE I HAVE AN 04 RUBICON AND WANT TO LIFT IT 2.5 " UP TO 4 " I WAS GOING TO GO WITH THE COIL SPRING SPACERS AND BILLSTIEN SHOCKS BUT I SEEN THIS 4" PURPLE KIT FROM PERFORMANCE ACC ? WHAT TO DO? I WANT TO GO HIGHER MOSTLY FOR LOOKS BUT I NEED TO KNOW WHATS BEST ? AND IF I GO WITH THE 4" LIFT WILL MY TIRES LOOK LIKE SMALL DOUGHNUTS? MAYBE ILL HAVE TO GET 33" TIRES? ANYONE HAVE LIFTED RUBICONS? THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GEORGE IN N.J.
  • utahjeeputahjeep Member Posts: 24
    Switch to a smaller CB - something like the Midland 79-290. It is an SSB rig, and is MUCH smaller. Look into an Overhead Security Console from Tuffy - or one of their replacement center consoles and put it in there.

It is too much work to try to find a safe mounting location for anything larger.
  • libertyinctlibertyinct Member Posts: 15
    All,
    I'm considering swapping out my 6 disc CD changer in my 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited in favor of a Sony 10 disc DVD changer. And then, installing monitors in the back of the seats for viewing. It looks like it has the same overall dimensions as the one in there now. Has anyone out there done anything like this to their Jeep(Liberty)? Do I need to change the stereo as well or, can the OEM stereo handle the feed from the DVD player?
  • papagator5papagator5 Member Posts: 1
    I was thinking of buying the 6 speaker outland soundbar. Does anyone know if this is a good system or would recommend something else?
  • sirlokisirloki Member Posts: 1
    need cheap 16's for my jeep will not pay more than $200. :mad:
  • new_jeep_ownernew_jeep_owner Member Posts: 1
    Definitely try e-bay - That is where I bought my jeep. Speaking of which, my jeep only came with a hard top. Can you give me any tips on how to get it off? I'm clueless. Trying not to go to the dealer
  • suzukiquad104suzukiquad104 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen or heard of a lift of more than 4.5 inches for the Grand Cherokee if so who makes it. it's a 1994
    Jay,try a local Jeep Owners club; they are all over the country. My wife has a 1999 Wrangler, and my son and I have removed and re-installed the hard top. If there is a rear wiper, that needs to be unplugged, and you will also need a size 50 or 60 male torx bit. If you own a Jeep Wrangler, it would pay to have a set of the torx bits. If you see a jeep with the top removed, don't be shy. Usually Jeep owners are really nice about sharing information and helping others. That's how my son learned. Good luck. You might try an Internet search to locate some local clubs.

Bookitty
  • butchy1butchy1 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ factory installed sun roof. It quit working in the open position. I have tried all the fuses & have looked through all my manuels. No help on the possible solution. Any suggestions out there???
  • luvs2yakluvs2yak Member Posts: 1
    Am looking to carry kayaks on top of Wrangler. Have seen systems in Quadretec catalog but would like to find a front windshield mount bolt on unit for front only.
    Am planning on trying Yakima Drydock unit in rear trailer hitch.
    Any suggestions on where I might find Front rack only?????
  • dave1991yjdave1991yj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 yj, 4 cyl. 5 speed. I would like to swap in a small block chevy and switch to a auto tranny. Does anyone have any info on this or are they a better swap i should consider
  • dqsmithdqsmith Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone ever used a programmer on a JGC? If so, does it help?
  • kornwheatkornwheat Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone. I had gotten my son a 1990 Jeep Cherokee: manual, 4.0L, V6; for his first car and he got into an accident and totalled the frame of the Jeep but the engine is still in perfectly working order. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where I could get a manual Jeep Cherokee body preferably in or close to Western Mass? Thank you.
  • newjeepernewjeeper Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if they know of any aftermarket parts/kits for improving the fuel mileage on a 1999 4.0 5spd Jeep Sahara?
  • qtdrumarqtdrumar Member Posts: 1
    When I take my doors off of my 2005 jeep wrangler the interior lights stay on while I’m driving and also after the engine is cut off. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to make the light switch think the doors are closed. I would like to find a way so when the doors are back on they will still work. So if anyone knows of a way, please help me.
  • gdh3gdh3 Member Posts: 28
    You need to check out Quadratech.com and look under the door section for something called dome light switch decompressors.
    gdh.
    -
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    There's you can also remove a fuse that will kill the lights; check your owners manual for the one to pull.
  • fantom1fantom1 Member Posts: 1
    HI ALSO LOKING FOR SAME SYSTEM DID YOU HAVE ANY LUCK WITH FRONT BAR PLEASE LET ME KNOW? HAPPY KAYAKING
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    I believe it's number 4??? Anyway, it's the one on the bottom row, farthest to the right. Undo the strap that holds the glove box door on (open the door, and the canvas strap has a "plug" that pulls out). The door will then come off of it's hinge.
    You'll see the fuse box behind it. The bottom row, farthest right fuse is what you want. Pull it carefully with needle-nose pliers. You can tape it inside the glove box or put it somewhere you'll remember. Pop it back in when you put doors and top on for the winter or whatever...
    Here's a link that will show you pictures and which fuse. And, how to install Quadratec's defeat switch if you want to...

oman4x4.com
  • jeepsterjeepster Member Posts: 3
    Hi....Does anyone know how to convert to daytime running lights for a 2005 Grand Cherokee? I assume since Jeep sells these in Canada where daytime running lights are required, there might be a simple wiring or relay solution to give my JGC daytime running lights. Thanks for any advice.
  • contadino2contadino2 Member Posts: 2
    I recently replaced the rear main seal on my '95 GC transmission (42RE). I bought the seal and ATF+4 at my local Jeep dealer - Stillwater Motors - in Minnesota. The next day I decided I better pick up a couple more quarts of ATF just in case. I went to the Chrysler dealer near my work site. Guess what! The price was 50% of the Jeep dealer's. I asked if the had the trans. seal also. They did - it was also about half price. Here are the exact prices for the same part numbers: Stillwater Motors = $7.20 per quart for ATF+4, $13.16 for the seal; Suburban Chrysler = $4.10 per quart of ATF+4, $7.85 for the seal.
    I initially thought that maybe Jeep dealers have a higher mark up on their parts than Chrysler so I called two other Jeep dealers in the Twin Cities area. They both quoted the same price as Suburban Chrysler! So evidently dealer prices aren't high enough - Stillwater Motors even doubles that! Needless to say I am trying to spread the word. Watch out for price gouging out there!
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    I know there are places in Canada that do that. Try googling DRL and Grand Cherokee and you'll probably come up with something.
  • hauptmannhauptmann Member Posts: 1
    I have a YJ 95' /5spd./ 2.5 L I just put a 4"lift, 33"tires, transfer case lowering plates, and new soft brake lines(steel braided). Needless to say I now have no power...my tiny 4 banger cant spin those 33's. Now my question: Is all I have to get for my re-gearing is a new ring and pin upgrade?I understand I will have to do the front as well. Is there more to getting bigger gears than just the ring and pin gears? If so, what? Do I use the same set for the fronts? I dont believe I need lockers due to Im not intending to rock crawl, or get to crazy....yet ( I can always crack it open and put em in later.)I just want to be able to travel at 70-75 mph, not the 60-65 MAx Im now at with the tires. I just need bare bonz right now.Any help???
    Taller gearing will help, if that little 4 banger will allow the RPM turning all of that stuff. Also, at those speeds with the lift and tires added to the innate stability of Jeeps on the road, it's starting to sound scary. and, whatever you change in the rear pumpkin must be the same in the front pumpkin unless you never use 4WD.

Bookitty
  • dans4dans4 Member Posts: 2
    I just installed factory fog lights on my 04 Grand it was a simple thing to do the instructions were easy to read and understand yours should be easy to.
  • dans4dans4 Member Posts: 2
    I am installing a factory cd changer in my 04 got all that is needed want to install an amp but so far have had no luck finding the factory wiring not even at the dealer can anyone help. I have the Jeep parts cd no listing all the manuals no listing whats with the amp. :confuse:
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    I've got a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee with standard am/fm cassette sound system. I just purchased a Jeep Infinity CD Sound System on eBay. It is supposed to swap out with my existing unit. I'd like to update the speakers too. Anybody know if this Infinity unit will need an external amplifier, or is it part of the unit? Any suggestions on what type of speakers I should get (mainly megahertz, watts type info, not necessarily brand names)? And should I invest in tweeters and a sub-woofer?
    Ok, not to worry if the right things are done.

First, yes, you will have to do both differentials. You won't find a reputable transmission or ring and pinion shop that will only do one. The chances of a catastrophic failure are simply too great not to do them.

Second, make sure to go to a reputable shop. Changing out the ring and pinion is one of the jobs in a driveline that's very subject to experience. Getting things just a little wrong will result in plenty of noise and premature failure.

Here's a great link that talks about doing EXACTLY what you want to do. I agree with this page at 4.88's to be about right. link 4w4c gearing article

Also, realize that your speedometer is now off, and your braking distances are going to increase. This is more a function of the new weight of the wheels and tires over the stockers than anything else. Rotating mass and all. Be nice to the terrified Kia's and Scion's in front of you and brake early :P

Keep your speeds down until you're sure the lift kit is operating correctly as items like the track bar can cause "death wobble" if they're loose or worn, especially in lifted vehicles. This will cause a loss of steering to the point of a bad rollover on pavement. Your YJ handles completely new now, so you'll need to get used to it all over again.

Lastly, you didn't mention if you have new wheels. You probably do, as the stock offset should not allow clearance while running a 33/12.5. Since the offset is now greater, you might check on some flares, as people are actually getting tickets for tires outside the body (I know, I know, but it's a real law in some states. Seriously).

I've been through three different jeeps (YJ, XJ, and TJ), so I've sort of done this before. Hit the "Wrangler" message board for more technical questions, as many of the members are total Jeep-geeks and can argue points like the above for days, all while providing great advice or even pics if you need 'em.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    I'm happy to read about someone installing factory foglamps on their JGC. My 01 Laredo did not come with them. Where did you buy yours? Did it come with switch to illuminate them? Did you have to cut your bumper to nstall them?
This discussion has been closed.