Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Owners: Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• kaluskalus Posts: 1
    Does anyone out there know the specs for the teeth on the flywheel that the Crankshaft position sensor reads??? I've found a couple of diagrams in the service manual that contradict eachother.
    The first shows the flywheel with continuous teeth apart from a small gap (missing one or two teeth)....
    and the other shows a diagram of the face of the flywheel to indicate the teeth.....

can anyone clarify the number of teeth/number of missing teeth/position of teeth???? pleeeeease!!

Also, what happens to the instrument cluster when you change over to an aftermarket ECU???

Cheers
    Kyne
  • Since the rear driveshaft on a Wrangler is so short, drive line angle is critical when you do a lift. Vibration is common after lifting more than 2". This can be addressed in two ways, the first is the spacer they give you with most lift kits. This will work, sort of, but you will feel vibes at takeoff and low speed, deceleration and sometimes on the freeway. The proper way to do it, is to get a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) kit, this is a kit you buy that changes the tail shaft housing on your transfer case with a fixed u-joint yoke. The part that moves with your suspension is moved to the center of a replacement driveshaft. the kit can be had from a few good vendors. I would recommend Tom Woods Driveshafts or JE Reel. Some off road stores will install them, as will most driveline transmission shops or if you are a competent mechanic, you can do it yourself. The kits run a little under $500.
    The other issue on a TJ Wrangler is alignment. Since it has a two piece tie rod that scissors as it is loaded and unloaded, it needs to be properly aligned after it is lifted. Not aligning it will cause two things, uneven tire wear that will cause vibration and it can cause what we call in the Jeep community the "death wobble" which is a violent shimmy at high speed that is undrivable and extremely damgerous. be sure to also check all bushings and tie rod ends for wear.
  • Asx far as lift kits for a TJ, I would only recommend a Rubicon Express or Teraflex (make sure it comes with an adjustable track bar). Pretty much the best of the bunch. Old Men Emu makes a great kit, but they only see a 2".
    Since the rear driveshaft on a Wrangler is so short, drive line angle is critical (needs to be 10 degrees or less) when you do a lift. Vibration is common after lifting more than 2". This can be addressed in two ways, the first is the spacer they give you with most lift kits. This will work, sort of, but you will feel vibes at takeoff and low speed, deceleration and sometimes on the freeway. The proper way to do it, is to get a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) kit, this is a kit you buy that changes the tail shaft housing on your transfer case with a fixed u-joint yoke. The part that moves with your suspension is moved to the center of a replacement driveshaft. the kit can be had from a few good vendors. I would recommend Tom Woods Driveshafts or JE Reel. Some off road stores will install them, as will most driveline transmission shops or if you are a competent mechanic, you can do it yourself. The kits run a little under $500.
    The other issue on a TJ Wrangler is alignment. Since it has a two piece tie rod that scissors as it is loaded and unloaded, it needs to be properly aligned after it is lifted. Not aligning it will cause two things, uneven tire wear that will cause vibration and it can cause what we call in the Jeep community the "death wobble" which is a violent shimmy at high speed that is undrivable and extremely damgerous. be sure to also check all bushings and tie rod ends for wear.
    Buy a quality lift kit, get it aligned and get the driveshaft kit and you will enjoy your modified Jeep alot more than if you skip anything...
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Not quite true on the OME. The 2.5" lift will/can give you over 3" of lift.

They do sell a 4" spring option and longer shocks as well.

I have also heard those 4" springs don't ride as nicely as the shorter springs.

-Paul
  • I just purchased a 2003 Liberty Ltd, with an RBQ 6 disc in dash changer. I have in my old car an after market Kenwood Sirius receiver and head unit.

Does anyone know if the RBQ head unit is compatible with the Kenwood Sirius Receiver. I'd like to avoid swapping out the head unit. I like the disc changer.

On a second note. If I do swap out the head units to the aftermarket Kenwood in my old car will the Steering wheel audio controls still work?
    THe Kenwood receiver probably needs some kind of interface to make it compatible with the OEM head unit.

My XM receiver in my Jeep is a generic one, but I have an Alpine-specific 'adapter' interface that lets it work with my Alpine head unit with no problem. So perhaps check crutchfield.com to see what is available. They could probably help better.

As for the steering controls, if you go aftermarket on the HU, chances are the steering wheel audio controls will not work. Again I could be wrong, but if it WILL work, an adapter probably will not be cheap.

-Paul
  • I have a 97 JGC 5.2 liter V8 with the premium sound package that includes the Infinity amp. My in dash CD player has gotten to the point that it's intermitten at best. It definately won't play any CD R's or RW's and on brand new store bought CD's it's hit or miss whether they read or not. I've cleaned it several times and nothing. Anyway I want to upgrade and wouldn't mind staying factory but want to upgrade to a newer model (like 2004-2006.) Does anyone know if that's possible and would I have to go through the dealer for this or are there other options? Otherwise if I need to go aftermarket (which is probably cheaper) I was wondering if anyone has had problems with this upgrade with the Infinity amp? Thanks for any help. -Mark.
  • if you want most any part imaginable check out http://quadratec.com/
  • jeepyj89jeepyj89 Posts: 1
    I recently aquired my first jeep a 94 yj and it is a 4 cyclinder. I want to add a 6.5" SOA lift and 33's. Many people have said that i can do this with completely killing my engine but i think otherwise. Besides of a engine swap im looking for some good mods to beef up this 2.5l engine so it can haul this lift and tires.
  • promtberpromtber Posts: 3
    I was told that the radio in my Grand Cherokee Limited is ready for IPOD connection, but haven't found any info on how to connect. Any help is greatly appreciated. Dealer advised that it could just be plugged into front radio. Is there an adapter or anything???? Thanks.
  • jf7227jf7227 Posts: 13
    Is there any product that would fit into the cutout of the bumper where the tow hitch is. I don't like the look of the tow hitch and want some type of plastic insert or molding to cover the cutout. Do they make anything like this that would match the color of the bumper.
  • Has anyone recently had a tub liner sprayed into the entire interior of their Wrangler? And want to give me a price estimate?

I just bought a 2005 Wrangler (Rocky Mountain Edition) and I'm excited by the idea of just hosing everything down at the end of the day (I'm hauling salty/sandy scuba gear to the beach and back all year).

On an unrelated note, I really like the look of the wider tires that stick out a bit. Can I just offset my existing tires (30x9.5x15) or is a wider tire (11.5 or 12.5) needed? Can I fit a 31x11.5 or 31x12.5 on my Jeep without lifting or cutting the fender?

Thanks for any tips/suggestions!
  • bvcrdbvcrd Posts: 196
    Walmart or ebay. You can get them with all sorts of logos. I prefer the Denver Broncos one. :)
  • craigk1craigk1 Posts: 6
    I bought a 2005 Jeep Liberty sport in October and now I want to have the crossbars installed to complete the roof rack and also have skid plates installed.

What would everyone out there recommend? I've heard that some of the crossbars create a whistling noise while you're driving?

What do I need in the way of skid plates (I'm a newbie to 4-wheeling)?

How much can I expect a dealer to charge for this?

Are the crossbars something I can install myself, keeping in mind that I'm not the handiest guy, and can I get them cheaper going through someone like Kragen?

Thanks for everyone's help

craig
  • enedzienedzi Posts: 3
    It depends on your radio type. If you have the NAV system the only way without extra parts is if you have a rear seat DVD. The DVD has a input for audio and video. If you don't have the Nav system there is at least 1 factory radio that has an input on the lower left side of the radio.

There are a couple of companies that plan on offering an interface for the NAV system. These interfaces are not out yet. Check out these websites:
    http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=885
    http://peripheralelectronics.com/web/home.asp
    For Line-X, the quote I got was about 600 or so, and that was if I stripped the interior myself and basically only took in the driver seat.

I like my carpet and how it looks, so I'm inclined to keep it until it looks lousy. But a sprayed in bedliner would sure make having it in the water and mud a lot easier. :)

-Paul
  • Thanks for your estimate. I talked to a rhino man here (near boston) and he said 1000 for the job if they take everything out and 700 if i do it myself.

i think i'm gonna pull the trigger on this... won't be worried about sandpiles in the jeep anymore!
    Post pics somewhere when you it. My only concern is getting ground in mud/dirt out of the grooves of the liner once it is done.

My estimate wasn't TOO far off. Maybe call around - I bet you can get better pricing.

:)

-Paul
  • skitch47skitch47 Posts: 2
    What can I do to increase the tire size on my 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport. I do a lot of driving on the beach, and the stock 21575R16 just does not get the job done after airing down to 16 to 18 lb, no clearance at all. I am not opposed to adding a body lift if neccessary, but would prefer to keep stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • bvcrdbvcrd Posts: 196
    Only way to go is up. You are pretty limited on tires with stock height.
  • xscoutxscout Posts: 141
    I have a 1997 Grand cherokee 2 wheel drive. I would like to put larger tires on it but do not want to modify the vehicle or change from the factory 15" mag wheels. I would like to have a wider base to the tire since sand is the worst obstacle I face. Anyone with experience on what works or doesn't let me know.
    Just like with the Wranglers, your issue will be twofold:
    1- clearance in the wheel wells (esp when turning)
    2- backspacing of the stock wheels (probably 5.5").

Wider tires mean generally that you need less backspacing like about 4" to fit wider tires. Straightline driving won't be a problem, but when turning, your tires could rub the underside parts of your Jeep.

If you are insistent on keeping your factory wheels, you can use wheel spacers like the ones found at Spidertrax. They have their own lugs, and are not like the older style spacers which fit on the same lugs as the wheels themselves.

Here's what the spidertrax spacers are like (on my Wrangler):

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

You can see where the original lugs attached.

-Paul
  • zacman411zacman411 Posts: 2
    Can anybody tell me where I can get chrome foor handles, chrome back hatch handle & chrome gas door cover? trying to sport her up a little more. thank you!!!
    Perhaps Quadratec or JCWhitney.

-Paul
  • cj_jakecj_jake Posts: 2
    I have a 98 jeep wrangler.....where in your opinion is the best place to mount a CB antenna on it.....??

Jake
    Depends on which type of CB. I have a Cobra 75WxST compact CB. The brainbox of it is mounted under my center console and the mic attaches by my right knee on the knee panel.

Here is a pic of it (kinda) on my dash...

Bigger units have been mounted alongside the center console on either passenger or driver side.

Some mount under the dash on the passenger side.

Now for the antenna, most mount it somewhere on the back. I had an Arizona Rocky Road antenna mount (www.arizonarockyroad.com) that held a 2' wilson antenna about 1' over the roofline. It mounted with the stock tire carrier.

I now have a Jeeperman tire carrier and I have my 4' Firestik attached to it.

Hope this helps some.

I have seen some that mount to some kind of mount tied into the taillights too.

I have found that with offroading in the trees, having the antenna mounted closer in to the center of the vehicle helps quite a bit.

-Paul
  • cj_jakecj_jake Posts: 2
    Thanks Paul.....

Another question....What do you guys think about Lift Kits....is it a better route to spend 500 dollars or so and get the supension lift?...or should I save the money and get the do it yourself lift kits? Someone told me if I do it myself I will run into problems with it in the future...and in the long run The supension lift is the better deal....but I dont know.... can someone help...
    Whoever told you not to do it yourself is probably not a very competent mechanic. I have a lift 'kit' on my Jeep (you can see the aftermarket shocks). I did it all myself, and not even with a helper. Here's what I replaced:
    - Springs - front/rear
    - Shocks - front/rear
    - Sway bar connectors (Running JKS quicker discos now)
    - installed sway bar relocation bracket in back
    - installed adjustable front end swaybar

I've had the lift on for a year now, and I've had ZERO problems with it.

My lift is actually 2 lifts - one is a suspension lift that I just detailed, and the other is a body (spacer) lift that lifts the tub off of the frame 1.25".

If you look at the pic below, you can see the gap in the rear wheel well between the tub and frame. That is the body lift. Again, a simple DIY job, provided you have a floor jack or some way to safely lift up the tub a bit while you do the work.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting.

Lifts over 3-4" will lead to bigger issues and may be what the guy was talking about. However, properly addressing all the issues, such as with steering geometry/drop pitman arms, etc, track bar adjustments, etc will eliminate the problems. One issue with bigger lifts is that the wheels/axle will be rotated 'in' closer to the center of the vehicle so the effective wheelbase is shortened even more. A Long arm lift or adjustable control arms for the axles can both address it.

Personally, a 3" lift with a 1" BL will give a 4" overall lift and is about ideal for a Jeep, IMO.

-Paul
  • garethbgarethb Posts: 1
    :confuse: I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Can I change my seats to the power seats. If so what do I need to do.
  • m0f0j02m0f0j02 Posts: 1
    I ordered the mirror relocation brackets for my '97 TJ from 4wd.com. The windhield mount bolts will not budge at all. Tried PB Blaster, and WD-40, and a lot of muscle. Anybody have any tips or ideas? Especially if you have these on your Jeep. Thanks :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.