Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram (2002) UNVEILED!

1161718192022»

Comments

• brucec35brucec35 Posts: 246
    There is more to performance than peak HP or Torque numbers. Other things like gearing, where in the power band the peak is acheived, and in the case of the 4.7, a more efficient transmission, can make a "small" engine perform as well or better than a big one. And some engines "feel" stronger than others. My Tundra, for example, pulls much more smoothly and strong than my Silverado's 5.3, which is a fine engine. But the Tundra feels stronger because it does it w/o a lot of noise and fuss. The lighter Tundra and the Silverado are about equal in 0-60 times, btw.
  • Back seat room is a major consideration for me. I regularly transport my sprouting children. If I have a choice, I will make the best choice for my situation. I had no choice when I traveled long distances in the back seat of my Parents' 1976 Toyota Corolla hatchback (2 door). My big brother, me, and sis in the back. South Alabama in the summer with no A/C. We never complained. For financial reasons, that was the choice....then.

I agree with your statement about young people today. Has it not been repeated by every generation, though?

I also agree with your statement about the cost of most SUV's and well equipped large pickups. I remember pricing trucks many years ago, just before SUV's started taking over the landscape. I was amazed at the value compared to passenger cars with the same equipment. The "law" of supply and demand did nothing to drive the prices down. Sort of like gas prices. Over the past several years, just prior to every major holiday (or spring break) gas prices have escalated. More usage, higher prices. Whats up with that?

I would not trade my Quad for any truck available. The back seat room is but one of the many appealing attributes..to me. The great deal I got was the major reason I chose the Dodge Quad. Had I known how much I would enjoy it, price would not have been such an issue.

"More important attributes" are different things to different people.
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    the s-crew i drive serves as my only vehicle. therefore, when i take people along with me, i want them to be in reasonable comfort, even if it is a truck. doesn't matter if it's a kid or adult, or whether or not i "ever" park my [non-permissible content removed] in the backseat. overall comfort for all passengers is simply imperative to me.

brucec35,

about peak hp, etc. agree, completely!
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,023
    I'm here to announce the new Dodge Ram Owners Club club now available on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Pickups.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    ................>>had the same problems when trying to buy a Ram. They don't seem to actually have them in many of the combinations they advertise. ABS is rare, side airbags seem non-existant. And god help you if you want a Regular cab with 20" wheels, or on any Ram that isn't $34,000 and loaded to the hilt.<<

When I first started looking a RAMs in mid-November, there wasn't much of anything around here in Western, New York State. By December the RAM Quads began coming in. I noticed that conventional cabs were non-existent, at least until mid-January. The local Dodge dealer now appears to have a equal amount of both. In fact, a friend of mine wanted a 5-speed V6 regular cab and didn't find one until the third week in February here. The different box lengths are still not in abundant supply.

To the best of my knowledge the dealers submit the orders and specify the equipment. The dealer here seems to have a propensity for 4x4 SLT Quads, and 2x4 Quads with trailer towing and limited slip. Another dealer in the city seems to like SLT pluses. All that I've seen have the upgraded interior with the neat flip seats in the back, too.

Dusty
  • wlm26wlm26 Posts: 33
    After an exhausting trial of waiting, arguing, and fighting, I finally got my 2002 Ram QC!!!! Here's the particulars: Silver, 4X4, 4.7L, leather interior, 4whl ABS, side curtain airbags, sport appearence group w/ 20" wheels, trailer tow, security package, AMFM cassete/CD player w/ infinity speakers, 3.92 rear w/ antispin, protection package, rear sliding window, steering wheel audio controls, power pedals, engine heater (anyone know what this entails? can't find anything to use to "heat it up"). Yeah, it's more than I wanted, but it was a demo and the MSRP started out at $35. Went through 2 dealers at John Elway Autonation Dodge out here in Englewood, CO, and finally ending up "haggling" with the general manager. Took 5 and a half hours to get the deal. He started out at $31 and said he couldn't go below that, but I finally got him down to $28 at exactly 9:45pm Friday night before last. Put down $2K and got $3200 for my trade!!!! Yeah, the hassle paid off, and to anyone who goes to Autonation, don't believe for a second that "no haggle" crap!!! I'M LOVING MY TRUCK!!!!! Only thing, though is the MPG!! I can't get above 13.6 mpg, if the readout is correct!!! Anybody added anything to their 4.7 to give it a little better MPG???? Thanks to everyone's feedback and own personal experiences!!! They helped me buy the best looking truck on the road!!!
  • loncrayloncray Posts: 301
    Now, I haven't seen one since leaving Wyoming many years ago, so my info is pretty out of date, but any truck with one ought to have an orange pigtail, like the end of a heavy-duty extension cord, up inside the grille someplace. You pull it out and plug a waterproof extension cord into it and plug it into the wall overnight and it keeps your engine oil warm so it will start in the morning. They also make battery heaters which are like miniature heating pads.
  • penrosepenrose Posts: 31
    The mileage should get better with time. At 3000 miles I just got 16.7 mpg. This was with mixed driving, 60% city, 40% freeway. Of course mine is a 2wd reg cab (4.7 auto), which could make a slight difference.
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    2wd vs 4wd seems to make a huge difference in most trucks mpg figures...
    Your information still holds true. Right to the left of the "big" radiator, held down by a tie wrap is the cord. I don't think I'll really be needing it, but you never know. Thanks!!

QUESTION!!!! How do you get the light under the hood to come on?? Can't find any switch, and I can't imagine that the bulb's already blown on a brand new truck, but then again, anything's possible. Anyone by chance know???
    Okay, had my truck for 2 weeks now, and I'll be honest and say that there "is" power there, BUT it's definitely not enough for me!! My old truck was a 1/2 ton 2wd stepside Sierra, 4.3 w/ 5spd, and yes, I know there's a difference coming from a manual to an auto, and the weight being considerably different, but I notice that when punch it, there's a second of lag, then it launches, but it's nothing like Chevy's 4.8 in the slightest. Anybody got any ideas on any go-fast goodies they've bought for the 4.7 that made a real difference at the rear wheels?? And I don't mean a supercharger (definitely after the warranty's up). Thanks!!
  • newramfannewramfan Posts: 22
    The tornado fuel saver is supposed to help you increase both gas mileage as well as horsepower. I haven't tried it out yet, but plan to order one soon. It wasn't available on the website, but when I called they said it was available. It will cost around $65 + shipping. I also plan to buy a K&N air filter which is also supposed to increase mileage and hp. Unfortunately there was not one available for an '02 Ram with the 4.7 last I checked. It is available for the 5.9 and all Rams prior to the '02 model (to the best of my knowledge). There are some for sell that have been created to fit the '02 ram (I've seen them on E-Bay and they are selling for around $100). I'll let you know how much these items affect mileage and hp when I get them installed.
  • truckdudetruckdude Posts: 55
    Let us know about the "tornado" - from what I've heard it's a cheesy rip off. I personally would just go with the K&N and save my money...at least with the K&N you save on buying air filters every 6k miles.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Posts: 313
    This thing may work, but I doubt it. The mfg's have been spending millions on research all pushing to raise power and corporate average fuel economy for years. Any device that would do what they claim it does would be licenced as standard equipment so they can sell more excursions and surburbans that net them thousands in profits per vehicle. As it is with CAFE requirements, they have to sell Neons, Calvaliers and Focus (sometimes at a loss) just to allow them to sell the big iron.

Do you have access to a chassis dyno? That would really be neat to do testing on with the Tornado.

DD
  • jdtopperjdtopper Posts: 58
    ...remote start capability for the RAM w/Cummins? Who makes 'em, where can I get one, how much does it cost, and how much trouble is it to install?

Thanks...
  • cjfrenchcjfrench Posts: 2
    I just bought my first new car and it is the new Quad Cab 2002 1500. I had been looking for an '01 but after seeing that big, beautiful back seat and feeling just how comfortable the front seats were, I was sold.

I bought mine here around Dallas and feel like I got a really good deal. After pricing my truck with the options I paid about $700 under invoice as quoted by carpoint.msn.com and www.kbb.org.

I got the 5.9 liter (even though I really wanted the 4.7 for gas mileage) because that is all that they had on the lot. SLT package and auto transmission are the only other options.

The gas mileage is really rough right now. I'm getting around 14 mpg. The dealership, Hoyte Dodge in Sherman, said that it would noticeably increase after the first 3 to 4 thousand miles.

I really did want the keyless entry and security system so I ordered the parts from www.mydodgeparts.com for $226. The dealer said that they would not be a problem to install so I will let you know after I am finished.
  • newramfannewramfan Posts: 22
    I wish I had access to a chassis dyno, but I don't. I'll ask around at work to see if any of the mechanics have a dyno. Otherwise I'll just have to see if there is any noticeable gain in horses and do some calculations at the pumps for mpg.
  • gwm01gwm01 Posts: 5
    I also ordered the keyless entry system from Dodge as an accessory and I am curious what Dodge will charge to install it.
    I thought I could install it myself but the instructions say that it is not for the do it yourselfer - also you need the computer to program the key FOBs.
    Anyone got any idea the cost to have it installed.
  • wsmoorewsmoore Posts: 14
    I bought the keyless entry system as well, and went ahead and installed it
    myself even though the directions say it is not for the do-it-yourselfer. The
    install was fairly straightforward, although it took a little while to figure out
    how to remove the speedometer/guages assembly to plug the module in.
    All told it took me about an hour, probably could do it over again in about
    15 minutes.

The problem with installing it yourself is that you will not be able to
    program the key fobs. I took it to the dealer after installation, and had
    them program the key fobs. It took less than 5 minutes in the parking
    lot to program them, and they didn't charge me anything. It would have
    taken about 2 minutes, except the mopar kit instructions were wrong,
    saying to select "body programming menu" on the OBDII tool, when
    actually they need to select the "speedometer unit programming menu".
    Took the guy a couple minutes to figure that out...
    Thanks wsmoore for your response on #650. Can you give me any pointers when removing the faceplate that will guide me. I've taken these apart on other cars and, like you say, once you've done it and you know the tricks the next time you could do it with your eyes closed.

But thanks, your comments were helpful.
    One pointer is to lower the ashtray and cup holder before removing the center
    cover. I didn't do this, and put a scratch on my ash tray door that is a little
    annoying on a 3 week old truck. Also, it is easier to get the instrument
    cluster out of the dash if you lower the tilt wheel as low as it will go, and
    put the gear shift lever down in first gear (set your parking brake first). Also,
    the cluster won't come out unless you first disconnect all of the cables,
    which is not a trivial task unless you are a contortionist. I discovered a
    great shortcut though - if you feel with your hands around the back side
    of the instrument cluster, you can find the place where the keyless entry
    module plugs in, and just snap it into place, without pulling the instrument
    cluster all the way out (just pull it as far as you can without unplugging
    the cables). There is a square opening that the whole module presses
    into, and it won't go in if it isn't lined up right, so you really can't hurt
    anything by doing it blind, if you can find where it goes. This will probably
    save you about 30 minutes, and a lot of frustration...
    Thanks again wsmoore for your response #652, your comments will be most helpful to me. As you can appreciate I was a bit ticked off when Dodge told me they want at least $200 to install this for me.

Hey, I also know how you feel about the scratch you put in your ash tray. I did one better. My truck was a week old and I jump in it to back out of the garage and I hear this ungodly noise - guess what, the garage door didn't open the whole way, it was about 8" of short of opening and I didn't notice that so I just ripped the 3rd brake light out and scratched the roof real bad all along the leading edge. Ask me if I was peeved off.
    That had to hurt. I don't feel quite as bad about my ash tray now...
This discussion has been closed.