Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    edmnds3746edmnds3746 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone purchased lloyd ultimats for your 2004 Sienna? I'm thinking about getting them. Any opinions? Also, what'll be the best mat's color to match a stone interior?
  • Options
    retsaborretsabor Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up my 2004 Sienna XLE Limited w/DVD & Navigation yesterday, and I have the same problem where the DVD volume is VERY LOW. In order to hear it, I have to really crank up the volume. If I then switch to another source (like FM radio), I nearly blow out my eardrums because the volume is so loud. This can't be right.

Has anyone spoken to the dealer about this? I plan to contact mine tomorrow (today is Thanksgiving).

Happy Turkey Day!
  • Options
    kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    I don't think the heating elements are in place for you. Some of the wiring may be there, but don't count on it.

I bought a set of seat heaters intended for a subaru from someone on Ebay that included wiring, switches, relay and the carbotex heating elements for 3 seats in the low $100 range. When my LE comes in I intend to install the units as stock as possible.

There is some info about this at a Odyssey forum I visit and also on a Miata forum using a product from a vendor that isn't too expensive (127 per seat).
  • Options
    Due to the way movies are made and the way DVDs are recorded, you will have a much wider dynamic range with a DVD than most any other source.

Most movies have a majority of it at a low volume and then a huge crescendo with action. One tends to expect the crescendo due to the apparent action.

CDs and FM both tend to keep a relatively narrow range (unless you listen to classical) so you will likely have the volume set quite a bit lower due to the higher average signal.

This is the way it is, and its just something you need to keep in mind when changing sources. Quite a few others have commented on this issue at another Sienna forum I frequent, none of them have a better solution to this issue.
  • Options
    steph280steph280 Member Posts: 20
    It would be nice if they have volume memory for each input sources. This is a fairly common feature now a day, where stereo will memorize last volume and bass/treble settings independently for each input sources.

I have yet to find a recordable DVD media that will work with the factory DVD player. I don't think it's a good idea to leave original copies in the car during summer months.

Stephen
  • Options
    roushbroushb Member Posts: 3
    I have had success using Memorex DVD+RW. Specifically, I used a single speed disc on an HP DVD writer. The software was a combination of DVDshrink and Pinnacle InstantCopy (so I could put 2 movies on one disc).

That's the only home disc I've tried so far.
  • Options
    roushbroushb Member Posts: 3
    I believe Audiovox makes the DVD system in the Sienna. I base this on finding a press release online stating that Audiovox won the contract with Toyota for this model year. I couldn't find any information on Audiovox's site, though.

As for getting home-burned DVDs to work, it may be more of a trick. I had instant success with the combination described in my last post, but as with much home-burned media, it's ability to play properly can be influenced by the brand of media you use, the speed it's burned, the software used, etc. My suggestion is to start with RW media so you can use it for something else if it doesn't work. If you try both formats with no success, try reducing the burning speed to the slowest possible. If still no luck, try different burning software. Keep in mind burning DVDs is more complicated than CD's: DVDs have a specific file structure, it's not just a bunch of .wav files like on a cd. To burn a real DVD, you have to have software that "Authors" DVDs, not just writes to it. Most software will do this now, you just have to make sure you're telling it to burn a DVD movie. If you're using InstantCopy, XCopy, etc you shouldn't have problems with the software itself.
  • Options
    albany_shopperalbany_shopper Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone in the upstate NY area located a CE model with Optional Package # 3 (with the VSC/TRAC/side air bag features)? I was told they were not available in this area. To get a similar option on a LE, I have to pay several thousand more.
  • Options
    jake696jake696 Member Posts: 111
    You'd get more features that will make you happy and/or help at resale time. AND...It may be easier to find an LE. Flexibility could be a key with these '04 Sienna's, as the wait times are long!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out Aftermarket Heated Seats too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    lando622lando622 Member Posts: 51
    Interesting topic, and I wanted to share my experiences so far in my Sienna's DVD player. We've only had it for a few days, but during the test drive and since we've had it, I've tried a bunch of DVDs.

I've found that like the manual says, if you put a printed paper label on the DVD, it may play but will eventually cause the player to hang/not recognize the disc. When the same movie is burned to an identical disc without a paper label added (mark it with a Sharpie instead), everything works out just fine. I've made backups of several of our kiddie movies/programs on DVD-R media (Princo & Ritek brands, I believe). I also had luck with a DVD +RW (Verbatim) in testing other movie files as well. Using the backup copies in the van will allow for the originals to hopefully last much longer.
  • Options
    deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    would it be too big or just right. Anyone has one this size.
  • Options
    indyjonesindyjones Member Posts: 49
    You may also replace your cd changer with your DVD changer, which will play both DVD and CDs. BOSS dvdc 9000 is now on sale for about $236. at buy.com
  • Options
    indyjonesindyjones Member Posts: 49
    Has any one installed BOSS BV 7 flip LCD monitor? Does it fit nicely behind the rear audio system?
  • Options
    skipoleskipole Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a 2004 Sienna with rear audio but did not purchase the wireless headphones. Can I buy 3rd party wireless headphones and use those? What technology does the headphones use? I want to make sure I purchase something compatible.

Thanks you.
  • Options
    I have tried Ritek DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, and DVD-RW. Only DVD-R would work. I will give Memorex DVD+RW a try next, but will need to deplete my DVD-R inventory first. :)

This DVD player also plays VCD burned on CDR without problems.
  • Options
    Radio Shack sells a infra red wireless headphone made by RCA for 19.99 on sale that works just fine with the 04 Sienna system.
  • Options
    greg_ygreg_y Member Posts: 26
    I am looking for an aftermarket sonar backup system for my Sienna. A local electronics dealer I am familiar with offers the Echomaster sonar backup alarm for about $399 intalled. Is anyone on the board familiar with this system or have any comments about it? TIA
  • Options
    shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    1): Does anyone here know where to buy the body-color matched mudguard? From the dealer, only black color mudguard is available.
    2): do any one have experience to install the fog light? I believe there have the wire connection to the fog light already, because at each side closed to the position of fog light, there has one plug there.
    3): My van has tow pre package. I have found the hole at the frame, but I does not find the tow wire connection. Any one can provide info here?
  • Options
    hatemytoyhatemytoy Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know where i can find one? please post info if you do. Thank you!!
  • Options
    There are body colored mudguards available, they are a SET option and can be had through many of the online Toyota part places. They cost about the same as the black ones as I recall.
    www.toyotaparts.com
    www.toyotaparts4u.com
    www.toyotapartsstore.com
    www.toyotaterritory.com/

color coded mudguards. Price is $37.95 for 2 pieces

No one I know of has installed factory fogs. The wiring may well be there, but you need a different control stalk for the headlight switch to use the factory system. I suspect the total cost would be prohibitive relative to the value of the factroy fogs.

The wiring is not in place for the tow system. You need to get the wiring harness from the dealer or get one of the better ones from an aftermarket source. There is a harness connector in the interior of the left pillar area behind behind the rear wheel. You will have to disassemble the interior panels to access it. You will also likely have to run a power wire (for a control box) to the fuse box as the lighting circuits are not fused for the added load of a trailer's lights. You may also be able to get the kit from one of the sites above.
  • Options
    1): I have searched the above site, but no one provide color-matched mud-guard. ALL are black or gray mud guard.
    2): For fog light, Today I go to Auto show at San Jose, and carefully check the fog light wire on XLE trim, the unused wire plug at my LE IS the wire connection to fog light. But at XLE, the headlight lamp and fog light on the same lever have two switches, while on my LE, the lever only have one switch for head light. I'm NOT sure I can use head light switch to control both head light and fog light. (I have found some other SUV/sedan use one switch to control both head light and fog light).
    3): For Tow receive, since I only try to tow the bike carrier, not to tow trail, the tow wire staff may be not necessary. It looks difficult for me to DIY the tow wire. Does any one has experiment?
  • Options
    Yes the XLE handle has two switches, one for the primary lights and the other for the fogs. Getting this switch will be quite expensive as will getting the factory fog lights. It is easy to wire a relay to allow a fog light to come on anytime the low beams are on. It can also be linked to parking or high beams or on anytime any light is on. This is not really the correct way to use fogs and may even be illegal in some states. There are many aftermarket fog lights that are much better than the ones Toyota has as standard.

Not all things are illustrated on websites, calling or filling out a form will allow you to find other things that may be in the product catalog but not on the site.

You can get a hitch at most any hitch place and requires only 6 bolts to install. If you only intend to get it for a bike rack then the wiring seems to be optional. Get a 2" reciever type as it can take the most weight and gives you the most options for different racks. The best racks need a 2" receiver.
  • Options
    alaputalaput Member Posts: 19
    I'm looking to buy an LE 8 w/ Pkg 7 and am considering purchasing with the following accessories (MSRP from toyota.com)
    Alloy Wheels $699
    Running Boards $599
    Rear Spoiler $485
    Hood Protector $105
    Cargo Net $49
    Does anyone know of aftermarket alternatives or if dealers are willing to deal on these items?
    Thanks
  • Options
    drivenowdrivenow Member Posts: 45
    Can I purchase Toyota OEM running boards for my 2004 Sienna?
  • Options
    tsunamitsunami Member Posts: 7
    Are those color mudguards OEM? Has anyone out there purchased any? Any feedback? Thanks.
  • Options
    mercier1mercier1 Member Posts: 14
    Yesterday I ordered a set of Artic Frost Pearl mud guards and they arrived today. I purchased them from a local dealership. I initially found the mud guards on a website and the local dealer came very close to matching the price. The web site is www.mytoyotaparts.com.
    Paul
  • Options
    The site you refereed is the site to sell/rent domain business.
    Tsunami, I try to buy color keyed mud guard, but can not find it. Even I have make calls to the some sites given by Kmead.
    If you are successful to get it, please let me know where you get.
  • Options
    Please excuse the typo in the web site. It should have been www.mrtoyotaparts.com. I did not intentionally submit the other web site, it was simply a human mistake. In the future shued may I suggest that you give others the benefit of doubt and instead of accusing them of wasting the time of this forum, inquire if there was a mistake.
    Paul
  • Options
    Here is a complete link for the painted mudguards. Don't work too hard.

http://www.mrtoyotaparts.com/prodlist.asp?NodeID=71616&TopID=- 71446
  • Options
    liaisonliaison Member Posts: 49
    Has anyone installed mud guards on the Sienna. I was wondering if you have to take off the rear wheels to drill holes for the mudguards. Also, wondering what are the pros and cons of installing a bug guard on the hood.
  • Options
    tsunamitsunami Member Posts: 7
    Thanks everyone for the info on the color mud guards. It's amazing how much more the dealerships charge.
  • Options
    $399 is pretty steep, since these sensors can be has on ebay for much less (do a search on parking sensor). However, I have never installed one so I don't know how involved it may get. I would assume most of the $399 is toward labor costs.
  • Options
    The front mudguards can be installed without removing the wheels or doing any drilling. The rears need only one hole drilled and it can be done without removing the wheel.

The fronts took less than 5 minutes and so far I have not installed the rears. A simple tutorial can be found at the following user site:

http://community.webshots.com/album/87574174lcUNZc

Hope that helps.

The same user's site has a very good tutorial on how to install the backup sensor system as well:

http://community.webshots.com/album/84943179xUYHhK
  • Options
    Thanks kmead for the link to the color mud guards. Just purch an LE 8 pkg 7 w/spoiler and running boards. Does anyone know if the running board will get in the way of installing the front mud guard?
  • Options
    Trying to choose between the drop down and headrest DVD systems. I don't think my 5yr old will be able to see the headrest from the third row.
    How high can the headrest be raised?
    Has anyone seen a headrest screen in the second row?
    Vizualogic.com lists it for the 2004 Sienna but it's hard to believe with the removable seats.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the navigation system can be added to a 2004 LE?
  • Options
    Factory NAV would not be economic with the cost of the Toyota parts. There are several excellent aftermarket systems such as the Garmin products (there are others) that are the equal or better of the Sienna system and can be used across several cars.
  • Options
    In response to kmead. I installed the rear mudguards yesterday and you have to drill 3 holes. It was much harder than installing the fronts which only took about 10 minutes. Did not have to take off the rear wheels and used a 15/64 drill bit that worked fine. Hardest part was getting the pin out of the bottom panel. Ended up paying $36 for front and rear plus tax. My dealer gave me a coupon good for 15% off accessories for 6 months. Thinking about buying a bug guard but would like some feedback from others about bug guards. Did notice that the right rear cover where mudguard attaches seemed to be loosely attached. Has anyone else noticed?
  • Options
    I installed front and rear mud guards today. I agree with liaison that removing the pin was difficult. I ended up breaking the anchor that the pin engages during the process but don't think it needs to be replaced because of the support provided by the bolt and screws.

The Toyota bug guard went on without a hitch and took 5 minutes. No wind noise noticed. I am certain it will reduce rock chips on the hood. I am pleased with the appearance and would recommend it without reserve.

Paul
    2004 XLE, Artic Frost Pearl, Package #12
  • Options
    Mercier, you can probably get those pins from a body shop. They might even give them to you or ask your dealer the next time you have your van serviced. I was thinking about replacing mine since they were mangled during installation of the mudguards.

XLE Salsa Red Pearl Pkg.#1
  • Options
    do any of the vans w/ mudguards being installed have running boards? I'm planning to get the rears but not the fronts unless someone has been successful.

We're very happy with the hood protector. While there are no bugs in NY in Jan, the road salt and slop that collect on the sides and running boards is nonexistent on the hood. The windshield seemed to collect less road spray when travelling at speed.
  • Options
    cpstechcpstech Member Posts: 24
    For my 04: trying to decide between Toyota's or Weathertech. I was all set to go with the weathertech until I saw, "fits 98-04" I'm not familiar with any other sienna models before 04...but since the 04 is very different, does anyone know if the Weathertech's fit well in the 04 Sienna?

Thanks for any input!
  • Options
    dooper67dooper67 Member Posts: 26
    How does the bug guard install? Do you have to drill holes or does it clip on? Is it easy to remove and put back on?

Dooper
    Jerry
  • Options
    Uses holes that already exist in the bottom of the hood. It takes about ten minutes to install, remember to put a blanket over the engine area so that when you drop a part that it won't disappear.
  • Options
    Answering my own post here: I ordered the Toyota all weather mats vs. the Weathertech ones. I was able to see pictures of both on another forum, and the weathertechs just don't fit as well. They overlap the driver's foot rest, and the 3rd row ones need to be trimmed down.
  • Options
    etalon02etalon02 Member Posts: 20
    Cpstech, does the Toyota set you ordered include one that covers the well behind the third seat? And if you do not mind, where did you order the parts?

I saw at Weathertech site that they sell a separate piece that matches nicely (at least according to the picture) the size and shape of the area. Thanks.
  • Options
    As far as I know, Toyota doesn't make a cargo mat. I purchased 2 different sets, one 4 pc set for 1st/2nd row and a 2 pc set for 3rd row. I'm still trying to decide what to do for the cargo area. I saw pictures of the weather tech cargo liner (on this site I believe) and it bends a bit, and someone complained that theirs ripped slightly. I think I may get the 3 10 gallon rubbermaid containers. From what I've read, they fit nicely in the well, and then you can nest them when you need to fold the seats down.

I got the Toyota mats from trdparts4u.com Email me and I will send you the links to the photos of both sets of mats. (on another forum...I don't believe I can post the link here...?) I tried to email you but could not, I think problem is with MY pc.

CPS Tech
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I bought the Toyota All-Weather mats for my Sienna. A set comes with front and rear mats (tan or gray). You need to buy an extra set of rear mats for the third row seats. But I always have the 3rd seat folded for delivery purpose. So I bought a cargo liner from WeatherTech (www.mats.com).

I first looked at the WeatherTech rubber mats for Sienna. But they are a bit expensive. I have a set (WeatherTech) for my SUV. The front set is custom fitted. And the rear set is better than the unviseral fitted but they are not the same shape as the stock mats. Both Toyota and WeatherTech mats hold good amount of water, but WeatherTech seems better.
  • Options
    etalon02etalon02 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the comments.

I guess a good setup might be what cpstech suggested for the cargo area behind the 3rd row. I will check out trdparts4u.com. I also know of the other site and I will do a search over there about pictures of the various mats.