Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Chevy Equinox engine problem/stalling/rough idle . . . Yikes!!

elizabeth41elizabeth41 Posts: 3
edited April 16 in Chevrolet
I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox that is also have the same engine problems (diesel-like start, rough idle, stalling, etc). It has been at the dealership for 5 days, and they have yet to "duplicate" the problem. The "problem" was occurring all weekend before I dropped it off to the dealership on Monday. What do you do when the dealership cannot "duplicate" the problem? I'm terrified to drive the vehicle, and I for sure don't want to take my 2 year old son around in it. Should I contact GM? Should I insist the dealership keep it until they can duplicate the problem? What are my legal rights in this situation?

Comments

• Also, the oil is black and smells pretty bad. I just had my oil changed 2,400 miles ago. The dealership is still waiting to hear the problem, but have done little under the hood to look for the problem.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,125
    edited May 2013
    Hello Elizabeth41

I responded to your related post on the 2011 Chevy Equinox Engine Problems board. Please email me at socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Jackie so that I can assist you in working to get this issue resolved.

Jackie
    Chevrolet Customer Care
  • bigkritterbigkritter Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    tes I would say you have about one more time to the dealers before they tell you they can put a data link on your car to read all the stuff it it doin. Then wait about another 30 days to get the software to download (due to it will not download on the computer. Then you take it in they do not put one on they feed you another line ^#*@
  • maybe my time will come but my 2011 has had 1 small problem in 30k miles----computer had 'check engine' light stay on when driving---10 minutes at dealers and all is well----been a good car and wonderful ride and handling ---so far-----let dealership do maintenance since it is not much over what locals would charge anyway----wonderful, caring dealership at Brookville, Pa Chevy-Buick and I will be back next year to get another Nox (stay in warranty and let them do any big bucks jobs for 'nada')
  • I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox that has problems I had the car for less than 6 months when it began a jerking motion when I put my foot on the gas from a stop. Then at the 6 month mark the car totally stalled and I could not put it in gear. I took it to the dealer and they had to replace the transmission module. Within the first year I had problems with a diesel-like start, rough idle, stalling. I took it to the dealer and they could not "duplicate" the problem. They told me that no codes appeared. I still had the problem again so I took it in and they installed a remote system that was supposed to record the issue however the remote system never seemed to work. They removed the remote system and told me that it did not record any problems. I am still having the issue and I do not have any faith in the car. I tried to trade it in for 2014 but unfortunately the resale is so poor that the gap between what I owe and the trade in is too big so now I am stuck with is car this car, the first American car I ever owned which I have no confidence in. I used to love this car and now I really wish I bought the Honda. I also want to know what do you do when the dealership cannot "duplicate" the problem? I am also terrified to drive the vehicle. What are my legal rights in this situation? Do I have to shell out money for an extended warranty because a new car is already breaking down? How long do I have to wait to get this issue resolved?
    Hi luxdes

I would like to try and assist you with this. If you are interested in my help you can email me at socialmedia@gm.com. Please include your VIN, full name, current mileage and a link to this thread or a description of the issue. I am so sorry that you are dealing with this frustrating issue.

Jackie
    GM Customer Care
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Kindly be advised that your vehicle is under warranty, and as such, both GM and the dealer are obligated to make the necessary repairs! ---- Make sure you have your vehicle serviced at the dealership for your oil and filter service, and keep all of your service receipts! ---- Please keep everyone advised as to your progress with these problems. ---- What we are seeing on this board, is a "perfect example" of "poor customer service" at the dealer level! ---- All the best! ---- Dwayne
  • Hey all. I have a question for you. How many of you have OnStar in your vehicle? I do and and they have been telling me my vehicle is having no issues where found and the tire pressure is way off even thougjh I have stopped several times to put air in them, They seem to think that my car is working fine. I think they should be held accountable also.
  • Bigkritter -

The OnStar Diagnostic email is ran once per month and pulls data directly from the vehicles tire pressure monitoring system. If your diagnostic report does not mimic what is shown on your drivers’ information panel, this can be attributed to a few things. 1-The OVD is a cold calculation. The tire pressure can vary slightly once the vehicle is driven and environmental influences such as weather conditions. 2-Your tire pressure monitoring system may need recalibration, which the dealer can do. I hope that helps, if you have any additional questions just let me know.

- Sara, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team
  • It sounds like u may have to much air in your tires. It will show a problem with tires for that to. TPS checks for low & high tire pressure
  • First off I would like to say I was unable to finish my last post, Sorry The main part of OnStar that I feel is not working properly is:

I receive my monthly OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics indicates that, There are no issue are found with my engine and transmission system WRONG

NEXT
  • No reply on this
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,287
    I would not depend on onstar for really good diagnostics it can pick up on some things but it is far from complete.
  • Hi Sara-
    If I can not depend on the on OnStar Diagnostic, how can I depend on the Safe and Sound Feature?
  • Had that problem on mine at approx 20k miles. Dealer said it was related to variable cam timing mechanism. Fixed it and haven't seen it since. Currently 85k miles. Dealer recently replaced leaking seal in transaxle. I know there is a recall on the issue you have and the warranty relating to that has been extended to 150k. I think some of the issues occuring are because of the dealer service is questionable. Everything that has occured on my Nox has been fixed correctly the first time.
    Yes the mileage is off and the power is anemic. However, the performance is a bit better after the last visit. They did a re-flash of the computer to take care of the long oil change interval warnings as per recall. I could probably go 15K before oil life monitor had a warning. Car seems to be running a bit crisper and shifting better.
    My dealer, Fairway Chevrolet in Hazleton, Pa has been excellent.
  • millet70millet70 Posts: 2

@elizabeth41 said: I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox that is also have the same engine problems (diesel-like start, rough idle, stalling, etc). It has been at the dealership for 5 days, and they have yet to "duplicate" the problem. The "problem" was occurring all weekend before I dropped it off to the dealership on Monday. What do you do when the dealership cannot "duplicate" the problem? I'm terrified to drive the vehicle, and I for sure don't want to take my 2 year old son around in it. Should I contact GM? Should I insist the dealership keep it until they can duplicate the problem? What are my legal rights in this situation?

• millet70millet70 Posts: 2

I have the exact same issue with my 2011 Chevy Equinox. GMC is well aware that it is an issue with an intake sensor that is covered under the powertrain warranty. My car would shake and rattle just like a diesel semi starting. They were not able to diagnose my issue until the sensor went out completely. They kept telling me the same thing. That they could diagnose it because it wasn't doing it when I dropped it off. When that occurs the vehicle completely shuts off while driving. You have no control of the car or steering. It is a serious liability/safety issue. I have filed a complaint with GMC. . There is a serious issue with the powertrain on the 2011 Equinox even if GMC does not want to admit to it. My vehicle has shut down twice while driving. Luckly, I was able to pull it off the road without further incident. I am bringing it again on Monday for the same issue with the noise and rough idle. I hate to loose the money that I have invested in the vehicle, but I am looking to swap mine out for another vehicle. I fear to continue to drive my vehicle as well.

• jcourt62jcourt62 Posts: 1

We have a 201 v4 AWD drive Equinox. It has been nothing but problems and is now a death trap as far as I am concerned. In the little over 3 years I have owned the car I have always complained of my engine running very loudly. There have been many fixes to correct the "problem." I have had a Fuel pump replaced, cam shaft replaced, exhaust re positioning, balance shaft, water pump, timing work, transmission work and my engine rebuilt. Here I am just over 3 months after having the engine rebuilt and my engine is burning a quart of oil a week (I drive 12 miles each way to work daily). My dealership has ordered me a new engine but Chevy is not returning my calls, emails, chats and social media posts with any type of resolution to my problem for my car which is still covered by their warranty. Meanwhile I am driving a death trap 3 months pregnant with my 2 year old in the back.

Hello jcourt62,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been unable to speak with Customer Care regarding your concern. We'd be happy to look further into your situation. To discuss further, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Andraya R. GM Customer Care

• ulvdemonulvdemon Posts: 1

I am currently experiencing the same issue as listed above with my 2011 Chevy Equinox. Vehicle stalled while driving, idle's rough, and sounds like a rough. Taking it into the dealership and I am hoping that it can be found and resolved. Not looking forward to playing the "can't replicate the problem" game.

• I have a 2014 Chevy Equinox LT AWD that hesitates when accelerating ... like the engine / transmission is going bad. BUT THIS CAR IS NEW. The OnStar reports don't show a thing ... what gives? Anyone have any experience similar?

• I have a 2011 Chevy Equinox that is also have the same engine problems (diesel-like start, rough idle, stalling, etc). It has been at the dealership for 5 days, and they have yet to "duplicate" the problem. The "problem" was occurring all weekend before I dropped it off to the dealership on Monday. What do you do when the dealership cannot "duplicate" the problem? I'm terrified to drive the vehicle, and I for sure don't want to take my 2 year old son around in it. Should I contact GM? Should I insist the dealership keep it until they can duplicate the problem? What are my legal rights in this situation?

Hi - I had the same problem so beware and my car burned up on the road. I had noticed a rough idle that was intermittent in the morning but went away immediately when I drove. Thought it needed a tuneup but on a 4-hour drive back to my home state, it started doing during the drive with a bit of power lag. I pulled over to ask Onstar for a diagnostic and it came back "Fuel system not functioning as expected. Expect lags in power. Have serviced within 7 days." I asked Onstar to transfer me to the dealer because I wanted to make sure if this was a recall, am I safe? Is the car ok to finish my trip? The dealer assured me this was a "special bulletin" and to drive it on home, it and I would be fine. I babied it all the way staying under 55 for about 2 hours and it was occasionally rattling but I kept a good eye on the heat gauge and it was in a normal range. Then I noticed it came back and was slightly louder and a noticeable lag in power. I had decided to pull off the next exit, I saw smoke billowing around my car and began to lose power. My steering and brakes went OUT as I rolled onto the shoulder and waited for the car to come to a stop. I exited immediately and as I looked back, I saw a puddle of gas under my car which was flaming up. My care was a total cinder in 10 minutes or so. GM is looking into this issue but in my opinion this should be a recall. Losing your power steering and brakes is serious business. I am very lucky I didn't hit someone and get trapped in a burning car.