Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica GT-S

Comments

• When is the new T model coming out?????????
    What is the difference between the new T and the GTS????
  • boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    Well, a sports coupe is not made to handle in the snow. Those V-rated tires handle ok for a FWD car, but nothing real special. A hell of a lot better than my '95 Mustang (not GT) did, that's for sure.
    I don't know where you think you're going to find a WRX at invoice. Let everyone know, because it's nearly impossible. Don't know why you'd want one - it's stupid looking IMO, but it's not my choice.
    You could get a GS-R now for $21k since it's the last model year. But, it's been the same since like '93 or whatever...
    The 2002 Acura RSX is due out is July. This is Acura's version of the GTS. Seriously, check out the inside, it's a rip off the Celica. Also, the styling is a bit plain.
  • wiwangwiwang Posts: 17
    I THINK (big emphasis on the think) I might be able to get a WRX at invoice. I have a friend who works for this company associated with Subaru of American and they can get Subaru's at invoice...but I dont know if it applies to new models...didnt ask her about it.

I think Im either going to get a Celica GT manual or an Integra GSR...hoping i can get a good deal (sub invoice???) for a GSR since the new integras are arriving. anybody know if it's possible? Im thinkig if the price difference between a fairly nice equipped GT (alloy wheels, weather package, power windows, alarm system) and a GSR is around 1000-2000 bux, I might go for the GSR...

anyway, didnt mean to raise any hopes on the invoice priced WRX ;)
  • badtoybadtoy Posts: 368
    By "T" do you mean "Turbo"? If so, it will be available within the next 30 days or Joel and I are gonna have a serious talk about what it's gonna take to get him off his butt.

Sometime within the next three weeks the car will go to TRD for evaluation. Hopefully they'll get behind the program and produce it as a factory certified kit. If they do, that means emissions certification and a factory warranty. If they don't have the budget to adopt the program, it will still be available through Toysport. I wouldn't worry though -- this is a low boost kit and it hasn't shown any bad habits for over 9 months and 6700 miles.

Oh -- difference between it and the GT-S? Roughly the same price ($18k for the GT plus about $3k for the turbo), but WAAAYYYY more horsepower and especially torque. Way easier to drive, too.
  • Is the turbo a kit or a whole new vehicle? What is a certified factorty kit? Do you simply add it to a GT or is it a whole new line of vehicles?
    Just like the supercharger TRD produces for the Camry, Solara and 4Runner. They're working on one now for the V8 in the Tundra.

A factory certified kit means the factory warranty stays intact. Without it (as with any aftermarket part), the factory can dissallow warranty repairs for engine damage that can be traced to the turbo. Emissions certification means you don't have to worry about having it smogged in states like California, where the emissions testing is super strict.

The turbo kit will be available for any car using the 1ZZ engine (meaning the Corolla, soon-to-be-introduced Matrix, Celica GT and MR2 Spyder).
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    Please note, you'll now find a link to Edmunds.com's video of the Toyota Celica GT-S in the Additional Resources box on the left side of the page. Let us know what you think. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons Message Boards

• Any word on the 2002 celicas?
    Does anyone know when they are coming out?
    What changes will be made on the cars?
  • Can I get a turbo kit for the solara se? i know i can get a turbo kit for the se v6.
  • Does anyone know if there will be any changes made to the 2002 celica?
    in the Celica -- but that doesn't mean there won't be any. I imagine they'll be minor, though.

There is no turbo offered for the Solara. TRD offers a supercharger for the V6, but nothing for the 4. If you really want a turbo, have one custom made -- it'll run you about $4500 installed.
  • anna12anna12 Posts: 10
    jrieder-Have you checked out the description of the 2002 Celica T-sports? It's vague about availability, but interesting reading and pictures. There's a link from the larger celica discussion board (right side panel), though not from this one, yet. Anna
  • alex18talex18t Posts: 117
    toysport's price will be 3k for kit or for kit and installation and tuning? are there any toysport dealers/shops on the east coast? exactly what kind of problems could arrise from a turbo, not nescessarily a toysport turbo, but a turbo in the 1zzfe that would not be covered under warranty? thanks!
  • My wife is looking for a new GTS and there are NONE to be found. Some salesperson told her that they are out of production in the GTS 6-speed because so many people have overrevved tghem and blown up the motor. What gives ? I cant believe the smart little guys at Toyota aren't smart enough to put a rev limiter in their motor to fix this "problem". Anybody got the answer ??????????
    any concerns with a low-boost turbo like Toysport's. It utilizes the stock ECU, and can be unbolted for emmissions testing if need be. Toyota engines are over-engineered, and adapt easily to forced induction.

Toysport is a west coast tuner that specializes in Toyotas. However, the kit will be able to be installed by anyone with normal mechanical ability -- or the speed shop of your choice.
  • griffinggriffing Posts: 21
    Does anyone know of an intake system available for the gts? All I know of is a TRD exhaust that adds 14hp. I want to put on intake as well, but if I did, how much hp would it add to it? The muffler I bought was $600, but I'm sure that intake will be smaller in price and in power.
  • dimitardimitar Posts: 4
    I checked Toysport web page but it doesn't say anything about Celice Turbo Kit.
    Do you know when it is going to be available?
  • theone1theone1 Posts: 1
    I knew someone who added something like a supercharger to a Honda Civic and the car made a lot of noise when the thing kicked in - it was when the car accelerated. I called Kazuma to inquire about any extra noise output and the tech claimed that the Solara would not make anymore noise (idle and accelerating) than a standard Solara. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. I like how quite the Solara is (in and out of the car).
    Thanks!
  • jk111jk111 Posts: 125
    cant find a celica gts manual right now, I don't know why Toyota made the decision on stopping the production just because of the close spaced tranny. Now I will have to look at other manufactures.
    We all know about the problem with over-revving by downshifting the new Celica's into the wrong gear. I have done it a few times...

Is there any word on some sort of recall?? I know there are not many of these, so the numbers don't add up to make an official recall probably.
  • roadroachroadroach Posts: 131
    The GTS does have a rev limiter, like virtually every other modern car on the road. Like all other rev limiters, it keeps you from exceeding the limit by cutting fuel and/or ignition when you are accelerating and need to upshift to keep from overrevving.

But no rev limiter that I am aware of will keep you from overrevving the motor if you downshift into the wrong gear. If you were to try to downshift in an Integra or Prelude at 85mph and grabbed 2nd instead of 4th, you'd grenade your engine just as easily.
  • anna12anna12 Posts: 10
    I've been disturbed by the allusions on the Celica discussions about GTS problems and a halt to production, but I wonder where people are getting their information, and if it is true, is it only the manual engine, or auto as well? I posted a question about production halts for the GTS on the dealer board, but got no responses, so I went to the toyota.com page and right now they are prominently featuring the Celica with the "action package"-which sure seems like a foolish thing to do if there really are no cars to be had. Any real info out there? Anna
    They're fitting larger injectors to try to get more fuel at high rpm. Once they have the results, they should be able to finalize the kit and post it on their web site.
  • I'm 17 years old w/ two jobs. My girlfriend is pregnant w/ two jobs also. So our monthly income is up to 2000 possibly 2500 if we work long enough. I want to get a good, reliable, fast car, that's safe. We're recently saving up for a new car. We're really interested in the new Celica's. I have to admit that the older Celicas were overpriced, as well as underpowered.
    I've been doing research on the net about the new Celica's, and have heard some ups and downs about them. More ups then downs though, so that's a good sign. I've read people's opinions about them, and have come to the conclusion that some of these people don't even, or haven't even driven a Celica PERIOD!! So can I please have 110% honest feedback on the Celica. It's just me and my girlfriend plus baby(on the way).
    So anyways...I'm about 80% certain that the Celica GT-S is the Perfect size for us three, but I think I need someones honest opinion for ME, not for others(no offense to others), to help me decide if we should get the Car or not. I really don't think us three need a big economy car to fit our needs, like a Lexus or Cadillac, much less afford it. So can someone please lead me in the right direction to our new car. It'll be very appreciated if some Authentic Celica owners can help me out.
    Very Kindly,
    The World Iz Myn
  • jk111jk111 Posts: 125
    If you are looking for a Celica GTS 6spd, you are out of luck. Toyota stopped making the 6spd version for the rest of the 2001 model year. I tried to find one, and after 1 1/2 month of searching (including help from carsdirect.com).. I gave up.
    Celica is small, with the baby on the way.. you are probably better off getting something that is more practical. Like corolla or such. You are still young, you can leave the sports coupe for later (I didn't own a car until I am 21, and now I am 24.. got a brand new rex sitting outside :D) Trust me, waiting is worth it.
  • sergeissergeis Posts: 134
    If I would have 2K income and baby on a way... No way I would buy Celica. I would buy a used Saturn for <10K, the one with 4 doors, of course. Its safety record is well above average, and its reliability record is reasonable. Or may be Intrepid, as I think the first car in family should be a big family car. Corolla is more reliable, no question, but it comes for ex$$$tra price. And don't get 2-door. You need extra door for baby, and some space next to her/him which is easy to access. I have two kids, and I have full sze Grand Marquis for family (this is a replacement for the 18 yrs. old Crown Vic I had before, started to develope problems, I wonder why). It is cheaper than Celica, safer than Celica, quieter than Celica, smoother than Celica - everything but fun and mpg, and for that I got Celica. I bought my GM used with 20Kmiles and 1.5 years old (full warranty), and paid 15.7K. It is now 6 yrs. old and I had not a single problem. If you plan to take long trips with kid(s) - bigger is better. You don't want two kids fighting in a small cramped car for space on your way to grandma who happened to live 300 miles from you... If you still want small and new and japaniese - the newer Civic's have EXCELLENT safety record. Friend of mine had a Civic (and one kid), which he crashed at 60 mph, car was trash, everyone (including baby) survived with no injuries. No offence, but if you got a kid it's time to grow up and get practical until your get money to spare for a fun car. And belive me, you got plenty of time for that.
    I agree. I have a Celica myself and I love it, but not for a 'family'. I too suggest a 4-door. How about the new Nissan Sentra SE-R 4-door? If you are wanting that kind of vehicle.
    But, I would have to suggest not purchasing anything. If you think you have to, go used and 4-door. You may have a joint income of $2k now, but will she be working both jobs after the baby comes?? I doubt it. Plus there's hospital bills, diapers, etc.
    I say wait - I am 23 and have never had anything remarkably quick until now! I didn't mind waiting. I would hate to see you having to scrape by just to make new car payments! Does all this make any sense?
  • phaedrysphaedrys Posts: 37
    good point, i forgot about that. how much will your income be after she stops working? i think that's the big (financial) question. although i do agree with everyone about the size/space issue. what are you driving now?
  • I want to say thank you to everybody who has helped with the advice. thanks very, very much. If I hadn't gotten any advice i probably would've gotten a brand new car and then be low on cash for the next 4 years. That would've been bad. Well thanks to everyone again.

PS ...Now is there any advice for other cars that are a bit sporty, safe, and fun to drive. I would like a foreign car, because I personally think that they are safer than American cars(no offense to the Hard-Core Americans). So thanks for the advice again.

Thankfully,
    The World Iz Myn
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    "...other cars that are a bit sporty, safe, and fun to drive."

Here are a couple discussions on this message board, where you might get some interesting ideas: Inexpensive new hatchback wanted! and Hot Hatchbacks: Civic Si, GTI, SVT, Mini S, Matrix, BMW....

Also, use your copy/paste so you don't have to re-write your message. Good luck with your decision. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

This discussion has been closed.