Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica GT-S

124»

Comments

• boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    Just to let ya know about downshifting, it's much faster (in the case of an accident) to just use the brakes. If you're taking time to depress the clutch and search for a gear, you are losing time.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    It's a problem also for Honda/Acura. But Honda MoCo isn't really generous in repairing/replacing the damage.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    Well, if you avoided the accident, it doesn't really matter what you did, but yeah, go with the brakes. And if you didn't miss-shift, I'm sure Toyota will cover the engine, I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Downshifting does help slow down a car and is a good idea to do in an emergency. You do have 2 feet and therefore can be slamming on the brakes at the same time you are depressing the clutch and downshifting.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,692
    it does occupy you with more than one task at a moment when you should be focusing all your attention on where the car is going and what is happening outside.

NOT TO MENTION it is a bad idea in general to use clutch braking - it is very hard on the clutch, which was not designed for this purpose. It can also be hard on other parts of the drivetrain.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Hi Folks - Any GT-S owners out there care to share a vehicle update with us? Perhaps we can get this discussion rolling again. If you'd like, you can list your:

1. Model Year & Total miles to date.

2. MPG & Driving habits. Any differences in mpg since you first purchase?

3. Any additional accessories & mods?

4. Maintenance issues to date.

5. Any interesting trips or cargo experiences?

6. Overall impressions pro/cons of your Celica GT-S since you first purchased....

Share as much (or as little) information as you'd like. I'm sure other GT-S owners/shoppers passing through here, would find the information quite interesting, if not helpful. Also, you can report back every 3-5k to update again. Who's game?

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • marktestmarktest Posts: 43
    I have a 2000 Celica GTS Auto and have been disappointed with the performance since day one. While I'm not in the market for a street racer, I'd have liked to think the GTS engine would have done better than 0-60 in 10.2 seconds, not to mention the low end power is nearly non-existant.

My question is, has anyone used the K&N typhoon short Ram intake and have you experienced any realistic performance improvement?

I'm most interested in the low end acceleration, the engine pulls quite well from 6000 rpm and up. Unfortunately, the 4 speed auto drops the rpm well below that range after the shift from 1st to 2nd. This results in a significant drop in acceleration after the shift.

I don't need to hear that there is something wrong with my car. I have heard that in early posts from people who don't own the GTS-auto. I've had the car checked out by 2 different Toyota dealers and spoke with the mechanics and they say it runs just like other GTS auto's.

Beyond weak performance, the car has been extremely reliable with only a service bulletin replacement of the accessory belt tensioner. After 40,000 miles, I still get 24 to 29 mpg - I only wish it didn't require premium fuel (particularly for such weak performance).
124»
This discussion has been closed.