Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica GT-S

1235»

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    every car I get into this summer has noticeably more effective A/C than my celica. It is not that the A/C is ineffective, just that 90 degree plus days when it has been sitting in the sun tax it to the max, and even after 15-20 minutes of running full blast, it is only just cooling down. In other cars, even other Toyotas like camry and 4Runner, I can feel like I am sitting in a fridge after 10 minutes of full blast A/C.

Apart from that, it is everything I expected from it. This is my first summer with it, which is why I am just noticing it now.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• donkeedonkee Posts: 1
    My wife's 2001 Celica has the largest
    rear quarter panel blind spot I've ever experienced in any car I've driven the past 40 years. She missed seeing a car in that rear panel blindspot when changing lanes and swerved right to miss it when she finally saw the car through her side mirror. The car was so skittish when served right that she lost control of it and ended up in the highway median having flipped 3 times over and over completely demolishing the car. She was briised and battered but not seriously injured. This car is very dangerous because of that blind spot and steering sensitivity during accident avoidance manuvering.
    As with any car that handles as well as this one, you have to be careful about huge inputs into the steering, physics can not be supervened. And in this particular car, with the rearward vision as it is, you have to be very careful about backing up, lane changes, etc. But having had mine for a year now, I can say that with proper use of the side mirrors, it does not have to be dangerous to drive, or anything like that.

I am glad your wife is OK!

• boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    You can't rely on your rearview mirror in any vehicle, expecially the Celica. Just do a quick look over your shoulder. I do EVERY time and it's like second nature to me. It's much safer anyway!
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    "I had recently driven a Mercedes C32 AMG and a Corvette Z06 on the same roads. Despite being half the price of these two cars, the Celica was just as much fun to drive."

Read the full story here. And let us know what you think. Happy motoring!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

• I currently own a 2001 Celica GT-S it has about 19,800 miles(majority Hwy mileage.) I recently blew the engine will down shifting to avoid an accident. The service rep. at the toyota service dept. stated that the timing belt a jumped a tooth and the all the pistons bent in the engine. He says he has only seen this once before. If anyone out there has had this problem please reply. Very Important!!!
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    Did you miss-shift? That seems to be a very common problem with Celica's because of the nature of the gearbox. I recommend visiting newcelica.org, because I know (not personally) that a lot of people have made the same mistake.

Just out of curiosity, how would downshifting help you avoid an accident?
    a common problem for GTS's, with the extra-close gears, people downshift to 2 instead of 4, and redline the engine, blowing it up in the process. Supposedly, they redesigned the '02 gearbox so it could not do this. Toyota might have some assistance for the people in pre-'02s, since they formally recognized the problem.

It sounds like Toyota was fixing a lot of engines for miss-shifts, but I don't think they recognized any sort of defect. It was always user error.
  • Well I thought by downshifting it would slow the car down faster than just using the brakes. This is my first manual car(that is what I was taught to do by a friend, not good advice I guess.)Well at this present moment my Toyota Service Dept. is waiting for a Toyota Rep. to look at my cars engine, to check for any defects. But for one thing I didn't mis-shift, I went from 6-5-4 and the engine made a loud noise and then it cut-off. I really can't say how loud it was because I had a AEM Cold Intake installed and a HKS Hiper Cat-Back. With those two items you really can't hear the engine. Thanks to everyone that gave me info.
  • boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    Just to let ya know about downshifting, it's much faster (in the case of an accident) to just use the brakes. If you're taking time to depress the clutch and search for a gear, you are losing time.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    It's a problem also for Honda/Acura. But Honda MoCo isn't really generous in repairing/replacing the damage.
    Well, if you avoided the accident, it doesn't really matter what you did, but yeah, go with the brakes. And if you didn't miss-shift, I'm sure Toyota will cover the engine, I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Downshifting does help slow down a car and is a good idea to do in an emergency. You do have 2 feet and therefore can be slamming on the brakes at the same time you are depressing the clutch and downshifting.
    it does occupy you with more than one task at a moment when you should be focusing all your attention on where the car is going and what is happening outside.

NOT TO MENTION it is a bad idea in general to use clutch braking - it is very hard on the clutch, which was not designed for this purpose. It can also be hard on other parts of the drivetrain.

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Hi Folks - Any GT-S owners out there care to share a vehicle update with us? Perhaps we can get this discussion rolling again. If you'd like, you can list your:

1. Model Year & Total miles to date.

2. MPG & Driving habits. Any differences in mpg since you first purchase?

3. Any additional accessories & mods?

4. Maintenance issues to date.

5. Any interesting trips or cargo experiences?

6. Overall impressions pro/cons of your Celica GT-S since you first purchased....

Share as much (or as little) information as you'd like. I'm sure other GT-S owners/shoppers passing through here, would find the information quite interesting, if not helpful. Also, you can report back every 3-5k to update again. Who's game?

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • marktestmarktest Posts: 43
    I have a 2000 Celica GTS Auto and have been disappointed with the performance since day one. While I'm not in the market for a street racer, I'd have liked to think the GTS engine would have done better than 0-60 in 10.2 seconds, not to mention the low end power is nearly non-existant.

My question is, has anyone used the K&N typhoon short Ram intake and have you experienced any realistic performance improvement?

I'm most interested in the low end acceleration, the engine pulls quite well from 6000 rpm and up. Unfortunately, the 4 speed auto drops the rpm well below that range after the shift from 1st to 2nd. This results in a significant drop in acceleration after the shift.

I don't need to hear that there is something wrong with my car. I have heard that in early posts from people who don't own the GTS-auto. I've had the car checked out by 2 different Toyota dealers and spoke with the mechanics and they say it runs just like other GTS auto's.

Beyond weak performance, the car has been extremely reliable with only a service bulletin replacement of the accessory belt tensioner. After 40,000 miles, I still get 24 to 29 mpg - I only wish it didn't require premium fuel (particularly for such weak performance).
1235»
This discussion has been closed.