Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair

pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
your Ford Ranger Problems. Good luck and thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
Host
Pickups Message Board

Comments

• kimbavkimbav Member Posts: 1
    My '99 Ranger V-6, 4 sp auto will not shift into lockup until at least 50 mph, even at "hot" operating temps. It used to shift into lockup at 35 mph. The dealer says 50 mph is normal and cannot find anything wrong. Anyone have an idea why the shift point moved to 50 mph? Any control I can have the dealer check? Thanks.............vk
  • saarisaari Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 ranger xlt extended cab,4x4.4.o, 5 speed auto,16inch tires, with 4.10 axel. I have only a minor problem, the gas gauge doesn`t read correctly. It drops like a rock! When it says 1/2 full it only take 6 gal., Empty, 12 gal. Thats 6.5 gal. still in tank! My gas mileage on trip was 18.5 during the first 1000 miles. I hope it wil get a bit better after break-in.
  • valancevalance Member Posts: 3
    I have the same setup, with the same problem. After 2500 miles, I'm getting 18.0 hwy. Thinking about a tonneau cover. Will it help?
  • joek10joek10 Member Posts: 3
    The anti-theft system on the ignition of my 2001 Ford Ranger intermittently fails. Other electrical systems are operating (lights, radio) but engine won't crank. The 800# Ford reps say they get frequent calls about this. I had to stay at a motel when travelling because of this failure and the motel clerk said I was the fourth new Ford owner in three months to stay there for that reason. Unfortunately, none of remedies the 800# reps gave me to reset the computer worked. Any ideas how to prevent or solve the problem?
  • joek10joek10 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Ranger 4X4 extended cab 4.0L with shell. I have the same problem with the gas guage. I have 7000 miles on it and have yet to get over 16mpg on the highway with cruise control set and get about 12-13mpg in the city. Premium gas only raised it about 1mpg.
  • gaston3gaston3 Member Posts: 4
    I was looking at a 99 ranger 4x4 with the 3.0 engine and the auto 4 spd trans. When test driving I noticed that when I slowed down to a crawl I could feel a thunk in the drive line some where, then when I took off from a stand still I felt another thunk. Is this normal for a ford? I am not used to fords so I am wondering if this one is about to have a problem. It had 31k miles on it.

Thanks!
  • jeffreymnjeffreymn Member Posts: 4
    I just turned in my vehicle from a 2 year lease. The truck never had any problems but I never had any confidence in it for some reason--it just didn't seem very solid I guess.

There was alot of slack in the drive train. It did feel like the ujoints were starting to go. The only other problem was odd front tire wear.
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    Gaston3....If you purchase this Ranger tell the dealer to correct the problem. Seems to be a common problem with the Rangers. It happened to my 98. If you go to Alldata.com and review the TSBs its listed there. (#11)TSB #99-13-4 thumping and bumping felt on acceleration(and it happens when you come to a stop) they replaced my drive shaft. I hope this helps.
  • frey4frey4 Member Posts: 30
    my 2000 ranger has a significant amount of driveline lash at takeoff: a gentle but obvious mild "tug" in the front, then the back, as the gears mate and take the slop out of the system...i'd say normal in almost any 4X4. i wouldn't worry about it. you have a lot of gear teeth mating in that driveline; even a little clearance will result in some lash.
  • kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    I had a 1998 Ranger 4X4 with 4.0, 5-speed auto that was the only Ford I have ever owned that was a lemon. The engine was bad - rebuilt by a dealer I trusted - engine still bad again. My point here is I have a 1999 F-150 4X4 with 5.4 and all the good stuff including big tires/off-road package. This truck gets within 3 mpg of the Ranger all the time and has all the power in the world, not to speak of so much more comfort. OK, it costs about $5,000 more in real dollars - XLT Ranger fully loaded vs. XLT F-150 fully loaded. No way do these trucks even begin to compare for that difference - the F-150 is truly twice the truck. Check out the Ford rebates - at least in our southwestern area - the F-150 is the only one WITHOUT a rebate. There is a reason why it is so popular - it my be the best truck and value compromise out there. Just hope Ford keeps up the good develpment dollars with the F-150 - the Ranger sure could use some too.
  • nerangerdrvrnerangerdrvr Member Posts: 1
    I have been having a problem in my 1998 Ranger xlt 5spd mnl trans truck with the lights. When a passenger gets in, the overhead lights like to stay on. After about 20 mins, they blink out, as the should normally. The door open dummy light stays on too...anyone know anything?
  • jjarosikjjarosik Member Posts: 6
    Go to the Ranger III subject heading and read from entry #317 (I think) to follow my dilemna on driveline "bump". Just an hour ago, the dealer finally told me the spline is not mated properly at the yoke on LOTS of extended-cab Rangers and that its a manufacturing problem. After my warranty replacement of same, she drives tighter than new. My opinion is that backlash (or "frontlash" on take off, if that's a word) is NOT normal for a small truck, small engine, relatively short wheel-base, low miles, blah, blah, blah. This is a Ranger (and Mazda) parts manufacturing problem that you shouldn't have to just live with. Put on your best mean-face and go get a new shaft for free.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Sounds as if the switch on the door latch is sticking.
  • xiangyhxiangyh Member Posts: 1
    My '94 Ranger failed to startup recently. After some debugging work, I found out that the fuel pump is not turned on during startup. The fuse is fine. I can also make the fuel pump running by jumping a wire directly to inertia switch. So the problem must lies somewhere in the circuit between the fuse and the inertia switch. I have a Haynes Repair Manual but could not find any wiring diagram about the fuel pump. Does anyone know how the fuel pump is wired, or where I can possibly find the wiring diagram? Thanks in advance!
  • saarisaari Member Posts: 11
    In responce to Valance. I have a toneau cover on my ranger and haven`t broke the 19 mpg yet! Have you or anyone driven the truck low enough so the gas warning lite comes on? What is the true reserve?
  • david6david6 Member Posts: 75
    I have a 2001 2wd, and I find that even when I drive for a while on empty with the "check gauge" light on, I still have 3 gallons left in my 19.5 gallon tank (based on needing 16.5 gallons to fill the tank), and if I fill up when it first hits "E" and the light comes on, I only need 15.5 gallons to fill, leaving a reserve of 4 gallons! So now I ignore the gauge more and more. The problem is that one of these days I'm actually going to run out of fuel! But like I say, the lowest I've gotten is still 3 gallons away from dry. It would be nice if these were calibrated better, like for 2 gallons reserve, IMO.
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    I have the SAME PROBLEM with my 1994 Ranger 2.3.

I had the inertia switch replaced in September.
    I had the fuel pump replaced 2 weeks ago. The mechanic dropped the tank, tested the power wires to the pump, and was getting FULL and PROPER voltage. The pump would not work. He replaced the pump. Then 2 days ago, I couldn't get the truck started for the life of me.
    The next morning, as I was arranging to have it towed, i tried to start it and it started on the FIRST TRY!!!! What the hell is happening.

e-mail me at [email protected].

I'm bringing the truck back to the mechanic next Monday to have him look over all the wiring and see if he can find out why this problem is happening. I don't know a damn thing about electronics/fuses in cars.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    replacing the relay.
    what is it, where is it?
    OK
    my 1994 Ford Ranger 2.3l is at the garage right now.

The mechanic just called and said the "relay" was rattling, and showed signs of overheating, so he replaced it.

Hopefully this will solve the problem of intermittent fuel pump failure.
  • ripgrifinripgrifin Member Posts: 2
    Would anyone happen to know the part number for the drive shaft replacement on the extended cab rangers?
  • kelhoggkelhogg Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2000 Ranger four cylinder, 5 speed in late '99. About 6 months ago, I noticed that once in a while, there was a clunk when I disengaged the clutch before coming to a stop. It only does it about once in every 4 or 5 stops. The dealer let me test drive a new 2001 Ranger equipped exactly the same, and the new one did it too. They said there has been no tsb issued for this problem. The driveshaft has been removed and the spines re-greased with teflon grease, but that didn't make any difference. Otherwise, the truck is perfect. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?
  • careyb1careyb1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Ford Ranger for five years and have during the last two years had multiple electrical problems... a seat belt alert beeper that won't go off, a windshield wiper that comes on in the middle of the day, a light that won't go off and now a heater that works sometimes and doesn't work other times. Anyone else seen this?
  • lex1374lex1374 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 a/ 3.0L V-6, 4-speed automatic 4x4. When I have a cold start my overdrive light flashes and tranny will not shift out of 2nd. After I turn the truck off and re start the light stays off but the shifting into 3rd is very harsh and no overdrive?? My truck has been at the dealer for 29 days now!! The dealer tells me maybe 3 or 4 weeks Ford should have a tranny re program available, in the mean time keep the stop and re start program going. Any info or help. I have done a fair amount of research but any info will be more than welcome. PLEASE help me. Thanks a lot.
  • btaggartbtaggart Member Posts: 1
    nerangrdrvr wrote that he had problems with the lights staying on whenever a passenger was on board.

I virtually guarantee that it's the switch on the passenger side door. I had a Dodge Intrepid - same problem. Turned out the little plunger switch was not quite long enough, so I drove a screw into the end of it, effectively lengthening the switch by the thickness of the screwhead. Worked for 100,000 miles afterwards...
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Hi. I'm new here.

I am looking at a 1999 Ranger king cab 4X4 for 15,900 with 33,000 miles. 4.0 litre engine, auto transmission. Does this sound high to you?

Have there been any problems with this truck?Anything problem areas I should look for/at/on this vehicle?

Also, the truck has 245/75R16 tires on it. Can you install bigger tires on stock rims? What is a bigger (taller) size for these? How big before needing a lift? What is a good lift kit for these for under $500-600?

Thanks in advance.
  • lucky45lucky45 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone fix it mine does same thing?

Open hood
    lock doors and close.
    unhook and rehookup battery.
    open with key to reset?

Been told it will fixit but have not tried it yet!
  • bobhohbobhoh Member Posts: 6
    Hi. I just purchased a 1999 Ford Ranger Standard Extended cab pickup. Since I have had it I have noticed that it idles very rought, sometimes "shuddering" at lights to the point that the whole car wiggles. I have been told by the dealership that this is NORMAL for this pickup and that the computer shows no problems with it. Does anyone know if this is common for this vehicle? I don't want to keep taking it back to the dealer if it is.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice of this problem.
  • lisa54lisa54 Member Posts: 11
    We recently purchased a 96 Ranger with 47000 miles on it. Shortly after filling with gas for the first time, the check engine light came on. We brought it into the mechanic, and the diagnostic code was something to do with the fuel line. He switched the light off and suggested that the gas cap may not have been put on right and if the light went back on to get a replacement gas cap.
    The light went back on after about 25 miles. We replaced the gas cap and brought it back in. He turned the light off again and drove it for a while. The light just went on again.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance for any help.
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    This is a common problem for the Rangers with extended cabs. You get a shuttering feeling when coming to a stop or when accelerating from a stop. I don't have the TSB number but I had mine serviced. I has to so with the extension flange used on the extended cab driveline. Something about gresing the flange. I'm at work but when Iget home I will try to look for my service report. You can also try www.alldata.com and look under TSBs for the trucks if not listed under 99 try 98 ( mine and this is where I found out about it)
  • my9flysmy9flys Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I leased a then-new 1999 Ranger XLT Super-Cab Flareside 4x4 with 4 liter automatic. Last year noticed 'ping' type noise when pressing gas after going to reverse, then another ping when going into drive. At the same time I noticed a slight jolt on light acceleration only, from a stop. Mechanic drove it, walked over to the computer, typed in my year, and said to me "ok, we have a tsb on a transfer case flange, that's the ping noise. We have a tsb on driveshafts, that's the jolt. Set an appointment, we'll do both at the same time." And they did, acceleration from a stop is hot-butter smooth. Has been for a year now. Developed the 'hey, the wipers just activated' bug while driving down the road, usually for one wipe only. Took it in, they said yep, we'll get you a new wiper switch. Buying new (thus having a warranty) is the way to go, I see the light now! I can't imagine how much the driveshaft would have cost a consumer. The a/c has a disagreeable odor, this is the one thing they are mystified on. They have sprayed disinfectant into the vents, which only helps for a few days, they said yes it's a problem with some vehicles, but Ford has not recognized it yet. Even so,the smell only lasts for 10-20 seconds when you first turn it on, then it's gone. A small price to pay for a truck that has run absolutely flawlessly since the TSBs. It has 17k on it, I get 20mpg with a tonneou cover averaging 86mph. It's hauled everything I can give it, 500 lbs. motorcycle, 50 inch tv, furniture. This thing does not even know 1200 lbs of trailer are behind it. Altho the brakes notice, a little bit, lol. I love this truck to death, roomier than an s10, swings around cramped walmart lots with ease, yet smokes the tire (no locking diff) easily. Get compliments all the time, but will trade it for a used Aerostar so I can lock my bike and tools inside the back. Sorry for the long post.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Take your truck to a different mechanic. The previous one probably didn't even pull the codes, or he didn't know what they meant or how to fix them.

If the check engine light is coming back, a sensor is not sending correct readings to the computer. And there is something that needs fixed.

P.S. To 'turn the check engine light off' all he did was unhook the battery cable for a few minutes.
  • lisa54lisa54 Member Posts: 11
    I did find out the actual code after I posted the message. It was for "evaporative emission flow".

I took it to a mechanic that was recommended. We have always bought new cars and taken them to the dealership for service. Have people has better luck with private mechanics or dealerships?
    Frankly, I have had good luck and good service from the dealers. But, living just outside of Albuquerque, NM where Ford trucks are everywhere and the dealers are huge - probably matters in terms of what they see and how much they learn quickly about fixing things. At least in my area, I recommend the dealers.
  • bholdbhold Member Posts: 1
    1999 Ford 3.0L V6. Pings all the time. I've had two computer chips installed, run Chevron fuel for 20 tanks, used Sea Foam gasoline additive. What to do next?

I run at 65-70 mph to/from work five days a week and still the thing pings. Ford dealers (two) say that they can do no more. Every time I pull a hill at 65 mph, it pings.

Any help?
  • ethrjockethrjock Member Posts: 1
    I have seen a couple of other members here posting about a problem with the jolt/shuddering of the xtra cab 4x4. I too have the problem but I am out of warranty. Is the "99-13-4 JUN 99 Thumping/Bumping Felt On Light Acceleration/Deceleration" the correct TSB? I saw this on on the http://www.alldata.com/TSB/20/982023C3.html site. Does anyone know if this a factory recall or just something ford has discovered to be defective and replaced for in warranty vehi's? Maybe someone can direct me to the problem and I can fix myself. Also, For those who have had the problem fixed, what was the cost? Thanks in advance.
    Probably had that starting with my 1998 Ranger 4X4, but then the engine died before the driveline. There are a lot of posts concerning this problem - the driveshaft needs lube as it connects into the rear diff. Frankly, I would make Ford fix it - they know they have "cheaped out" the Ranger in the last few years.
  • ddraves461ddraves461 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 92 Ranger that I bought with 46000 miles on it 4 years ago, now has 98000. Recently, I started having problems with the check engine light coming on and then nothing at the gas pedal as if it was flooded. It gets very hard to start, when it does start, usually after 10 minutes it acts like it not getting any gas. So I've taken it to two dealerships, they ran several sensor and computer tests on the entire truck and can't find anything wrong. I've replaced the fuel pump, filter, coil, cap, rotor, spark plug wires and battery and still the same problems. Sometimes it runs fine and then all of a sudden stalls and refuses to start again, also when this happens the temperature and amp gauges go to zero. I've checked all of the electrical connections and grounds, still nothing... Can anyone help!! I've given up on dealers and the high cost of not finding anything wrong..
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    All I know is what I read.

What I read is a huge percentage of 3L Rangers, across most years from early 90's to current, ping.

There is little to be done to help except run higher octane gasoline. Ford has something called a 'SPROT' (or something like that) connector that can be changed. What I think it basically does is retard the timing. Which will reduce the power of the truck, and I've seen people write it does not always help with pingin.

Pinging seems to be a horrible design feature of the 3L motor......
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    I own a 95 w/3L. The only way I've gotten the ping to stop is to use 89 octane or higher and down shift to forth gear on hills(obviously I've got a manual tranny)
  • sabby129sabby129 Member Posts: 1
    It has 31K miles, 1998, standard transmission, AC, it is an XLT standard cab. They're asking for $7995. It sounds good and the truck runs great. Does this sound too good? If you have any suggestions, please share! Thanks!
  • vball12vball12 Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchase a new ranger 4x4 and am having the same problem with the fuel gauge. I found out from a friend at the bedford plant that engineering has to come up with a new design. Hope to hear of it soon. will keep posted
  • awhitt7awhitt7 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2001 ranger XLT 4x2 2.5 liter. I notice when I start it and after about 2 seconds there is a clunk noise. It makes the sound once, right after i start it up. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks
  • beansmombeansmom Member Posts: 2
    The check engine light will come on if the gas cap is not closed completely or if gas quality is bad such as watered down fuel from cheap stations. easy fix. add better fuel or try retightening cap. then car must be restarted at least three times. this will reset computer. This also explained in owner manual. I had same problem since avoiding the gas station I suspect gave me the bad gas,this problem has not repeated its self.
  • sporttrac4x4sporttrac4x4 Member Posts: 13
    I own a regular cab 2001 Ranger XLT 4x2 3.0 with manual. 3,500 miles on various 87 octane fuels with no, i repeat no ping. Even when running AC and starting off on a steep hill.The motor has more than enough power for my needs and gets between 20-22 in mixed mostly Beltway traffic.I also own a 2001 Ford SportTrac with auto and 4.0 motor biggest diffrence to me is the 4.0 is smoother, it now has 8000 miles.Also the 4.0 in the ST averages around 16 but it is an auto trans 4x4 and much heavier than the Ranger so cant really compare real numbers there.I love both trucks, small fit and finish problems mostly on the ST as its a brand new model, but dealer has repaired all.
  • woodgewoodge Member Posts: 11
    Does your Ranger have the 3.0 FFV (Flexible Fuel Engine)? Have you complained to the dealership? Has it been seen more than three times at the dealership for this problem? If so you may have a "Lemon".

Ford factory engineering know of the problem/complaint, and they have no fix! Our dealership's customer service manager confirmed this, and felt it would be best if the vehicle was returned as a "Lemon".

Last weekend Ford, and the dealership took back our 2000 Taurus SE (FFV-Vulcan 3.0) due to 14 months of repeated shop visits for engine ping. The final straw was when they finally changed the processor (computer), and the ping was even worse. We now have a 2001 Taurus SES, with the basic 3.0 Vulcan (no FFV). Ford and our dealer really came through for us with an exceptional offer to rectify the "Lemon" we owned.

We also own a 1996 Ranger XLT, 4.0 2x4 (78,000 miles). It has been a great truck!

Good Luck!
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    What does FFV mean? I know it something about the fuel, but that's about it...
  • woodgewoodge Member Posts: 11
    FFV means "Flexible Fuel Vehicle". The engine is the base 3.0L Vulcan V6 only with a special fuel system and fuel lines. The engine will accept ethanol/gas mixtures up to I believe what is a 85/15 mix. The main reason for the special fuel system and lines is that the standard fuel system on the Vulcan have plastic parts where as the FFV uses all metal. The ethanol will eat up the plastic in short order.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Hopefully one of you can help this user out!

1 of 2 Anyone else have a Ranger with Spark Knock? by supercab2 Apr 26, 2001 (02:08 pm)

I have been living with this for 3 years. Ford Motor Company cannot come up with a fix for my 1998 XLT 3.0 liter V6. The truck does have automatic transmission. I have decided that it's time to switch back to Toyota. Anyone ever have spark Knock with a Toyota? I'm growing more and more frustrated each year that I own this truck. I like everything else on the truck except this stupid knock problem. Ford does not treat all customers the same!!!!!
  • bobhohbobhoh Member Posts: 6
    Hello. I recently purchased a 1999 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0L with the flexible fuel package. I have been having several "problems" since purchasing this used vehicle. First, I have some difficulty shifting gears, primarily 1-3. I have driven manual transmission Ford vehicles for over 10 years and I have never had a car that has this much difficulty finding its way into low gears. Any comments? I have been told that this is normal. Also, the truck has an extremely rough idle. I admit that I have never owned a pick-up/truck, but my old 1988 Ford Bronco II never idled this rough. When I sit at lights the truck constantly shutters or wiggles, sometimes worse than others. Once again, the dealer says it's fine. Is it?