Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mharnischmharnisch Posts: 11
    I need to replace the cruise control switch that is located on the right side of the steering wheel. I can see the two screws holding the switch in place. They are located under the steering wheel padded cover that covers the air bag and horn switch, but I cannot reach them. Does anyone know how to remove this cover? I don't see any visible screws or other fasteners.
  • cougancougan Posts: 1
    My ranger will go through the motions of starting, but it has no fire. I had one of the power packs checked and it was fine. Also I have no power going to my fuel pump. More specifically, I have no voltage on the safety switch on the passenger floor board. I think that my problem is either the ecc relay or the emc. My question is, where is the ecc relay? I found one relay behind the glove box, which I think is the fuel pump relay, but I am nor for sure. Can someone please tell which relay it is behind the glove box and where is the ecc relay so I can test to see if it supplying voltage to the ecc. Or if you have any other recommendation that will help me troubleshoot the problem, I would appreciate it.
  • I started my truck this morning to head to work and foun that I am unable to shift it into drive, or shift in general. It has locked up. My truck starts fine without a problem, but I just cant get it to shift. Where should I start looking?
  • tdanieltdaniel Posts: 1
    i started it up and teaching my son how to drive, he killed it, went to start it and it would not turn over, i thought simple enough, the starter relay was bad, i got out and used a screwdriver to start it on the relay., went and bought a new relay and replaced it, still wont turn over, i thought it might be the clutch sensor, changed it, nothing, took apart the dash to get to steering wheel switch tested it, it is fine, is there a fuseable link somewhere im missing, run out of ideas here, driving me crazy. thanks in advance for the help.
  • dtheman42dtheman42 Posts: 1
    hey i have a 93 Ford Ranger and i'm trying to take my dash out to repaint it how would i talke it out i can't figure it out.
  • burnselkburnselk Posts: 6
    My "Check Engine" like came on one day and has been on for at least a year now. When this light came on it did not seem to change the way the truck runs nor did it seem to effect in the gas mileage.

What could have caused this light to come on and what can I do about it short of taking it to a repair shop? I'd prefer to fix it myself for obvious reasons if at all possible.

I like to work on such things myself (to save the trouble and $) and would appreciate hearing back from some of you about this. Thanks a million. :confuse:
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Most auto parts houses, Autozone, etc, will read out codes and tell you the general info for the code.

They do this in support of selling you parts to fix it.
  • My 2000 2.5L starts good and runs great until it warms up. Once warmed up it begains to backfire and has no power under load. Sometimes if I feather the trottle off the start (standard tranny) it goes away till the RPM's drop. then it goes back to backfiring and running like crap. Changed the fuel filter, helped for a while, then the plugs, no help. Air filter new but cant get her to run right. Any ideas?.......Jim
  • Hi,
    I can not lock/unlock my passenger side car door with a key anymore. I opened up the door panel and found that the lock tumbler was not attached to anything and a long metal piece with a plastic and metal clip attached to it fell down. What I need to know is how to reinstall the metal piece so that I can lock/unlock my door from the outside again?

Thanks!
  • burnselkburnselk Posts: 6
    Your best bet would be to stop by your local Ford dealer and talk to the "Parts Department". They can look it up on their computer and show you a picture of what you need and tell you how to do it. They can also sell you the parts you may need. Good luck on that. My drivers side lock is giving me trouble.....takes me a couple of minutes to get it unlocked.....people think I'm trying to steal my own truck....I have to wiggle and jiggle the key just right to get it unlocked.
    Open up the door on the other side and look at the linkage there. It should be a mirror image.

It probably just came loose, or the clip on the end broke.
  • I have had to replace 3 coil packs, they keep shorting out.
    This happens the moment that I install it and try to start it up.
    It will start but it will short out the number 4 cylinder and
    get no fire to number 4 and miss-fire on the rest.
    Any help would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks
  • sethmandysethmandy Posts: 1
    I am wondering what is going on with my cruise control... It just stopped working...
    I last used it about 6 months ago and I tried to use it recently and it just wont turn on. It used to work and there arent any other problems with the truck...I checked all fuses and they all seem to be working fine.I heard about this recall, could it be related to this??? I need some help thanks :cry:
  • rangerboyrangerboy Posts: 36
    My truck ran and started fine all day. I have noticed that my positive cable will corrode lately and I've cleaned it dilligently. Well, tonight when I took my wife to the tanning shop it wouldn't start when we were ready to leave. All it does is click once. I cleaned the battery cable ends and posts. The battery is new. I messed with all the relays in the power distribution box and still nothing. I had a buddy come over and we tried arcing across the solonoid, but still nothing. When I keep turning the key over and trying to start it the locks will engage and disengage??? Is this something to do with the anti theft? Where is the anti theft relay? :confuse:
  • rangerboyrangerboy Posts: 36
    I started out the negative cable needed a new connector. Then I swapped all the relays around in the power distribution box. Still nothing. Guy at the Autozone said there might be some more relays underneath the dash. I found them and swapped them around and got nothing! I got to looking at the starter relay and figured it would be easy to change so I changed it. The truck still wouldn't start. I found my remote and changed the batteries to try and mess with the alarm system. I would hit the panic button and lock and unlock the doors. Next, I decided that I would tackle the starter since there is nothing open this weekend. Well, I finally got it off and had it tested. It failed! I put the new starter in and it fired right up! :)
  • My truck wont start I have a 96 ford ranger 2.3 i try to start all I get is clicking..Some times i get lucky and it will start. I replaced starter and starter solenoid but still wont start> even tryed bypassing the clutch saftey switch and no start. Wierd Plz help. :mad:
  • I have the same problem..i replaced the solenoid and starter and i just get a clicking noise. If u find out the problem let me know plz :sick:
    Bad battery or cables. Corrosion inside rubber insulation of the cables.
  • My '93 3.0 liter has intermitant fuel pump failure. This has gone from every few months to a few times weekly. Originally it was only at start up (would fire but immediately shut down and not fire again) then it started shutting down sometimes at idle and now it may shut down anytime while driving. This happens if the engine is hot or cold and if weather/humidity is wet or dry. letting the truck sit will cause the problem to go away but this has gone from a few minutes to hours to days.

I have changed the fuel filter, swapped relays and finally changed the fuel pump,but the trouble remains.

I now believe the problem is in the power distribution box. If the contacts are dirty/corroded or loose changing/swapping the relays won't solve the trouble. Also could be a poor ground to the box.

I'm going to try cleaning the contacts with electrical contact cleaner and oxy-acetylene torch tip cleaners. I will post if this solves the problem.

If any one knows/has any other ideas of possible solutions or problem areas please reply. This seems to be a fairly common problem. Thanks and get dirty.
    And buy new relay/s? Swapping might not work if all of them have a problem.