Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Another usual problem with this age Rangers.

The switch is inside the doors. It is near the lock itself, not the hinges. Some people have luck spraying WD40 or Electrical Cleaner through the lock or through the outside handle.

Best way is to remove the door panel and actually get to the switch. Clean it or replace it.
  • I was looking at a 99 ranger 4x4 with the 3.0 engine and the auto 4 spd trans. When test driving I noticed that when I slowed down to a crawl I could feel a thunk in the drive line some where, then when I took off from a stand still I felt another thunk. Is this normal for a ford? I am not used to fords so I am wondering if this one is about to have a problem. It had 31k miles on it.

Thanks!

This isn't normal on any car, I would look at something else. I own a 1994 V6 Ranger, 5 speed maual with no such issues
  • The switch is inside the doors. It is near the lock itself, not the hinges. Some people have luck spraying WD40 or Electrical Cleaner through the lock or through the outside handle.

Best way is to remove the door panel and actually get to the switch. Clean it or replace it.

This will then likely apply to the situation I have with the Sable. Thanks
  • My truck has quite a noise coming from the power steering. Is this normal for the rangers?

Check the fluid level
  • I am wondering how to go about changing the turn signal horn in my 1984 ranger to a steering wheel horn instead.

You may have to get a steering wheel off an newer model or an aftermarket replacement, since a horn switch isnt built into your steering wheel. Then you will have to re route the switch wire(s) to the steering wheel's horn button
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    Dodge - "that warning is for pedestrians"

Yeah, I guess if you're walking toward one, it would be a good turn toward a ford. :shades:
  • I was attempting to remove the schock absorber on my '94 4x4 Ranger when I snapped the bottom mounting hardware. This would be the tab stud that is on the radius arm. Does anybody know if the tab stud is removable/replaceable w/o having to replace the entire radius arm? It appears it should come off, but, then it looks like it was machine pressed. Gotta love those engineers!
  • I just picked up a '91 Ranger, 2.3, 5 speed. I am enjoying the truck but don't like the way it handles through turns and during quick changes in steering. Has anyone tried anti-sway bars?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,972
    sway bars are mostly for body roll...if you have slipping/sliding, that's more of a tire problem. If you have a lot of directional instability in a hard turn (wandering, bouncing) that's a shock/strut problem usually.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• brysuebrysue Posts: 35
    You probably have a aging serpentine belt. Check the inside of the belt for cracks. It probably needs replacement.
  • Thanks for the reply. I feel like I need sway bars and new shocks after reading your response. Do you have any recommendations?
  • 2004 Ford Ranger purchased with no fog lights but would like to add factory lights, got the lights on e bay but do I need other hardware to install and where is the best place to run wire to the switch,
  • On my 2000 Ranger with 3.0 V6 the oil pressure gauge does not register until driven about a mile- plenty of oil in crankcase-no rapping sounds. I purchased a oil pressure sending unit-but can't locate the old one-anyone have an idea where it is? Thanks. DON CHEPURNA
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,972
    You mean surf a website like this and see if it gives you any ideas:

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I am just writing to let people know about a fix I have done to my 2000 4.0L V6 Automatic Ranger. I have found out through some investigation about these engines being easily coated in carbon buildup. I do more city driving then highway so it is really bad. I have poor gas mileage about 280km/60Litres tank. I took my trunk into get an Induction Service and my Fuel Injectors commercial grade cleaned. My mileage is at about 340km/60Litres tank, and i have rid all knocking noises. I recomend cleaning the idle control solonoid, because it gets a lot of build up, which in returns makes a huge hi pitch humming noise. Just letting you guys know, just incase others are having this problem.
  • well my 93 is dong the sme stuff so i guess i should replace my shift motor also.
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    Today I rolled up 240,000 miles on my 96 Ranger XL, 2.3L, 5-speed. It may die tomorrow, but for now the truck seems to be going strong. :)

Recently, I did notice a low-pitched whining noise on cold mornings before the truck has had time to warm up. I took it to a local mechanic who is a friend of mine. He suggested that with the number of miles the transmission oil probably needed to be changed. I had him change it and so far I haven't noticed the sound anymore.
  • Hi, having same 'ole bleed the clutch; noticed that the link was wrong, try:
    http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/bleedclutch.htm

Thanks for the help!!
  • Help I need someone to tell me how to fix my 93 Ranger it doesn't fire. I checked the ignition module and it is OK I can't fine the crankshaft sensor to check it the book said it was by the crankshaft pully but i can't find it or the wires to it. If someone can help I sure would be gratful
  • The bad, clunky noise I am speaking of is very specific. It only, and almost always, happens when I am in 4 wheel drive, and switch from reverse to drive. So I back the truck up, come to a stop, put it in drive, and there is a terrible, metalic thump that seems to be coming from the front end when I start to move the truck forward. The first time it happened, I freaked out and crawled around under the front end, but everything seems to be in place. Anyone have any ideas of what this might be?
  • hi there does any one know what ball joints will fit this FORD RANGER 1998-2002 DJM CALMAX UPPER CONTROL ARMS CA3098U.
    Has any one lowered there truck with 255/55/18 tires i want to lower the truck 4" in front and 5" in rear what should i do get new tires or will they work.
    thanks montyanger98
  • I know the 94 Ranger had a front sway bar with the same suspension as the 90. You should be able to find one in a junk yard for <$25. If you want a rear for that year you will have to go "aftermarket"

Good Luck

01goldranger :)
  • ngdngd Posts: 5
    Cannot find the horn. :cry: Not sure which fuse, (hopefully) it is. Anywhere to get a diagram or info on how to make the horn work? Where the horn is? Which fuse is what? Thanks
  • freytfreyt Posts: 1
    I don't know much cars/trucks. I was just quoted around $3000 by dealer to replace the transmission (with rebuilt transmission)on v6 98 ford ranger (Automatic). Is that good deal. I had around 20k Miles and he could not tell me why transmission went bad! I don't know if transmission need to be replace. I could not go in reverse so i had it towed to a dealer, Any advise suggestion? Thanks
  • My 2000 Ranger went out 3 weeks ago with only 34,000. My non-Ford mechanic said there were at least 5 service bulletins out on it. Poorly designed and it seems to happen fairly regularly at 40,000. We put in a non-factory transmission (automatic) because Ford apparently isn't fixing the design flaws so you will end up with the same problem a few years down the road! $3200 a week before Xmas-merry Christmas. My last Ford.
  • I have a 99 ranger xlt extended cab, 2wd, with the 4cyl 5spd. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what custom exhaust i should use, in regards to easy installation and quality. I have looked at Gibson's Dual split back exhaust, so far that seems to be the best. suggestions would be great thanks!
  • No Dodge means " over priced for what you get " or it's what you do when you see one in the mirror so that they do not hit you.
  • I have a 96 ranger 3.0 auto trans. The trans is broke, I want to install another automatic trans that came out of a 96 ranger 4.0. Will it fit? Help. Mark
  • :confuse: Can the doors on a 2003 Ranger SC Edge be programmed to autolock? If so, what is the procedure.
    Thanks
  • ngdngd Posts: 5
    Does anybody know where the horn is on a 94 ranger?