Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• The ABS light on my 2wd 94 Ranger XLT (4.0 V6) began flashing Monday. It flashed in a repeating pattern... 15 flashes, then stayed on for a couple seconds, then began the pattern again.) I found that the fuse for the ABS was burned out. While driving to the parts store to buy fuses, I realized that the dash lights AND my brake lights were out, too.

I bought a couple new fuses, replaced the burned one and voila... it worked. ABS stopped flashing and the dash and tail lights came back on. But not more than 30 seconds later, the new fuse burned out and lights went out, ABS started flashing again. Replaced fuse again... with same result.

What could be causing this? I read online that it *might* be the Speed sensor, but I think my Ranger has two... one at the tranny and one at the differential. I also read online that the cruise control is somehow related to the speed sensor? My cruise hasn't worked in YEARS., so maybe it has been going bad for a while, and finally died.

I'm just wondering if all these symptoms could be tied to a bad speed sensor? Any help would be appreciated. I don't mind taking it to Ford but if I can fix it myself, I'd rather do that.
  • I searched through the previous discussions but was unable to find an answer to my problem. So if my problem has already been answered, please repost for me....

I purchased a 2001 Ranger 4 cyl. with manual transmission that had only 35K miles on it. Seemed to be in great condition. I purchased this vehicle in April of 2005. Last summer (May through September), the engine will intermittently go into a fast idle (2500 RPMs) when the clutch is depressed at a stop sign or traffic signal. After 3-5 seconds, the idle will return to normal (750 RPM). I was told by a FORD dealership mechanic that the throttle face plate needed to be cleaned (for which I was charged $165!). I now do that myself. I ended up cleaning the throttle face plate about every 2-3 weeks. The problem only seems to occur when the air temp is above 65 degrees Fahrenheit and/or the humidity is high. I have not had a problem with the idle since November.

Any help?
  • I am thinking of purchasing a 93 Ford Ranger 4x4 Reg. Cab with a Step-side Splash side. It's a 3.0 liter 5 speed with 142,000 k. on it. Any common problems with this year/model.(The clutch was replaced last year)
  • brysuebrysue Posts: 35
    I own a 97 Ranger with 4 cyl 5 speed, with 106,000 miles and am experiencing the same problem. My problem occured after changing the plugs and wires and coil packs. I have changed the coils twice, the plug wires twice and the plugs four times. The problem remains. I took it to the Ford dealer and they found no codes. They replaced the plugs again with OEM plugs and then stated the miss and lack of power was from having the AC on. WOW. I have not taken it to another dealer, yet. Please let me know if you find anything to correct your problem because mine is driving me crazy. Here is a list of other things I have done...
    AIR FILTER, PCV, FUEL FILTER, NEW CATALYTIC CONVERTER AND MUFFLER, THROTTLE BODY, THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR, MAF SENSOR, HAD FUEL INJECTORS CLEANED AND USED PLENTY OF INJECTOR CLEANERS ADDED TO THE FUEL. :confuse:
  • Simon Bolivar, maybe?
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    My dad has the same truck as mine with 170K on it. He told me he had a vacuum hose come loose on his and it started running very rough. The hose was on the intake manifold side of the engine.

I've checked for loose hoses and found none, so I'm sticking with the plugs and wires for now. I'm going to get some new ones today. I'll keep you posted.

Jeff
    Thanks for the reply. Let me know how it goes.
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    I picked up my truck from the garage this morning. It turns out the front ignition module/coil pack was bad. However, after inspecting some of the old plugs I don't think I wasted any money in replacing the plugs and wires. A couple of the old plugs looked really good, but a few of them were in need of replacement. Since the plugs that came out were Champion, they had apparently been changed at least once before.

My friend David, who owns the garage, said that they removed the wire from the #3 terminal on the old coil pack, there was no fire coming out of it at all.

Total cost of the replacement was about $125. I got the parts at Autozone and David charged me $50 for changing out everything. I'm up to a total of about $200 over the past couple of months on repairs, but that's still a far cry less than a payment.

The truck is once again running smoothly and I think a bit better than before it started missing. It's still not going to win any drag races, but who buys a Ranger with a 4 cyl for that anyway. :)
  • nav2nav2 Posts: 1
    I had to replace everything in the rear brakes of my 96 ranger. It ran fine for about a week and then the locked up. I bled them, it works for a while and then the same problem. I bled them again...., I don't want to take it in and have never had a problem fixing anything on it until now. I'm stuck. Any ideas?
    Cool. I am glad that your truck is running good again. Your right, what can you expect from a 4 cyl. :D

I am going to take mine to a different Ford dealer and see what they have to say. :confuse:

Take care.
  • Came home today turned off the engine and my back lights will not go off. I then took the ground off the battery and then put it back on and still the lights went back on. Does anyone know what the problem could be. Could it be a relay switch. Any ideas?
  • and i thought i was doing good to get 20mpg out of my 2000 3.0 ranger ;)
  • you could try checking the stop switch. it should bee on the brake pedal under the dash. it may be stuck in the in position. if it is, you might try spraying some w-d 40 on it and see if it will loosen up.
  • I've been having problums with the way my 1999 Ford Ranger shifts its a 3 liter 4x4 with a 5 speed (automatic) trans. I took it in yesterday and had it scanned for codes and it came up with seven different ones. What i want to know is if anyone knows if an EGR valve can not only cause poor engine performance but issues with the tranny as well,Since everything is all computerized? I also pulled a code (PO732 gear 2 incorrect ratio)and (P1756 shift Solenoid)does anyone know where the shift solenoid is located on this vehicle...The scan was done at a tech prep class by a teach who didn't know much about tannys so he couldn't tell me where to start
  • HELLO THERE IM HOPEING YOU GOT THIS PROBLUM FIXED ON YOUR RANGER BECAUSE i NEED A LITTLE HELP. CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE PROBLUM WAS AND HOW THEY FIXED IT AND HOW MUCH DID IT COST IV GOT THE SAME TRUBLE WITH MY TRUCK AND ITS DRIVEING ME CRAZY THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
    BOLINKXR :sick:
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    If you mean your brake lights, then the problem is the switch on the brake pedal. It is about $8 an parts stores. If you do it yourself, note how the clip and nylon washers come out of the old one, and put the new one on the same way.

I replaced this 3 times across 6 years on my 94 Ranger.

If you mean your backup lights, I'm not sure where the switch for this is at. I think it might be on the transmission itself.
  • well good news (i guess...lol) its only about a $100.00 fix after being on the phone for hours yesterday i found out it is in fact the Shift Solenoid and it is 68.00 but it can only be purchased through a Ford Dealership. The solenoid is in trans pan so the fluid and screen might as well be replaced at the same time so i figure about 100.00 if you do it yourself...if you take it to someone it may cost alot more...and as far as my gear two with the incorrect ratio...well i was told my tires are to big...there only 2 sizes bigger than stock and they are throwing the computer off...hope this helps you...One Question..Does your OD (over drive) light blink on and off sometimes when it shifts funny??
  • ngdngd Posts: 5
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :cry: :confuse:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,116
    there there...pull yourself together and ask us again! :P

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Horn does not work on a 94 Ranger. Where is the horn and fuse? Cannot afford to take to a mechanic to get it to fixed. Cannot find the horn. It is like invisible. I know it has to be there somewhere. Thanks everyone. :blush:
    Well, I owned a 94 Ranger for 7 years and never needed to look at or for the horn.

My best guess - somewhere on the right side, in front of the right wheel well. Probably have to get to it from the bottom.
  • I have tried bleeding the hyd. clutch syst. for about 6 hours and it still won't pump up enough to put it in gear when it is running. It is a 95 ranger, 2 wd., 5 spd. I hope you can give me some advice.
    No, tried that and it is not there. Thanks for responding. ;)
  • 1990 4 cyl. 2.2 engine The blower motor only works on high speed. I changed the switch and it still does the same thing.
  • mluckmluck Posts: 2
    need to know where the module is on a 94 ranger 3.0
    The blower motor is actually a 1 speed motor. Most cars get lower speeds through a 'resistor pack'. The high speed is a direct connection,not going thru the resistor pack.

The resistor pack is burned up. That's why the high speed still works, it bypasses the pack.

The pack is usually near the blower motor under the hood, on right side. Has several wires going into it.
    Only thing I know about is the ignition pack that all the spark plug wires come out of.
  • Can anyone help me I have a 1992 ford ranger and im having trouble finding a in dash cd player and im wondering if anyone could tell me where to turn to to find a cd player that fits into the dash, not having to do any modifications to the cd player or dash in order for it to fit.
    Any replies on this would really help and also it has to be cheap for i dont want to spend a fortune on a cd player.

THANKS ALOT,
    fordlover15
    Have you tried Crutchfield? They sell numerous head units and almost always GIVE you the dash kit to make it fit.
  • Try the u joint, front half shaft or the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front wheels.