Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rgreene2rgreene2 Posts: 1
    My 2001 ranger will start to cutting out when im running 75 - 80 . Its like maybe its not getting gas any idles? :
  • some where in an auto mag. I read that if you change the thermostat to a hotter one it helps that problem they were saying in the article that there was a couple of different thermostats for that year and they found out if you ran a colder tempature termostat in the truck it would reduce your gas mileage by a couple of miles to the gallon I hope this helps good luck
  • rgrgal94rgrgal94 Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Ford Ranger that has been running great. Would not start yesterday.
    Tried jumping battery,. etc. Will not turn over. Tried replacing battery. Still will not turn over. Help.
  • having same problem with 1999 Ford Ranger. Have you found a solution. Any appreciated. According to manual the sensor is located in the tail shaft. However where sensor should be is plugged off.(Trans type 4R44E)
  • brit2brit2 Posts: 2
    Thanks Super,I will give it a try,but I think that the lack of vacuam in the gas tank is the route of the problem-but I don't know how to fix it.
  • dbajohndbajohn Posts: 1
    The other day I pulled a small trailer about 50 miles with no trouble, then I had to put my ranger in 4x4 to get through some lose sand with the trailer, and when I stepped on the brakes the radio lost all power. The next morning when I started the truck the radio came on but when I stepped on the brake the radio lost power.
    It continues to do this. I have checked fuses and they seem OK, everything else works, just the radio has lost power, total loss, even the clock doesn't come on.
    Its a 1994 ranger XLT 4x4, 6 cyl 4 liter, standard trans, very vanilla truck. Hope someone has a simple fix for this annoying problem.
  • keithreedkeithreed Posts: 1
    I had the same prob. with my '99. got an answer off another site that did the trick, and it's cheap. Spray the door mechanism with WD-40. Liberally. (Inside the door) It really worked.
  • mjlnjhmmjlnjhm Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 with an extended cab, which has developed a transmission problem. At about 75,000 miles the transmission began to slip out of gear when the engine was cold. I would back out of the driveway, and every time it would come out of gear and refuse to go into drive for 5 to 10 seconds. It would continue to slip as I drove which was hazardous especially while merging onto highways, etc. Once it was completely warmed up it would seem to run fine. I had an extended warranty for up to 100,000 miles, so I began making trips to the dealer for repair. Six trips and now at 110,000 miles (and out of warranty) later, the problem remains. Any ideas?
  • putch57putch57 Posts: 1
    Howdy.I have a 1989 Ranger .Whats the secret to adjustig the camber?This is a 4wd model.
  • spiderg8rspiderg8r Posts: 1
    My 98 Mazda B4000 (Ranger) suddenly won't leave the driveway after being parked for a few days. Put each of the front tires up with the jack and each could move. Rear driver side can move reluctantly up on the jack and will spinn out when I try to back out. When I tried to raise the rear passenger side, truck started to roll. Any ideas - can the brakes lock up? Parking brake be stuck (pedal release seems to be working properly)? Or am I likely looking at a catastrophic problem with the transmission or axel?
  • berri2berri2 Posts: 2
    Hi Steve

Sounds like a Nice truck, only one problem...I live in Oregon. Darn !

Thanks, Sheri
  • jlezottejlezotte Posts: 1
    I drove my 89 ranger about ten feet, then it quit. It turns over, but the timing belt doesn't turn. Any thoughts?
  • freerangefreerange Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with a 1996 Ranger. Did you ever figure out what was wrong? I think it is a vacumn leak in this system that causes the outside air damper not to work properly but have not found the exact cause.
    JR in Dallas
  • wbr3wbr3 Posts: 1
    I had the same issue with '99 when there is a air temperature increase. I found that that the door switch is composed of a steel bracket and a plastic switch. What happens is that during a sudden increase in temperature, the steel bracket expands quicker than the plastic switch housing, and the switch would remain open until their size stabilized. I removed the switch and "adjusted" the steel bracket in a bench vise. However since reading the forum, I'd try the WD40 approach first. ( a lost less work ! )
  • brysuebrysue Posts: 35
    I have a 97 Ranger and I experienced the same exact problem. I have changed (4 sets) of plugs, wires, coils packs, fuel filter, air filter, catalytic converter and exhaust pipe including muffler, PCV, Throttle Position Sensor and I even had the fuel injectors cleaned. I have had no codes according to the Ford dealer. There has been a good change since I changed the Throttle Position Sensor. It is running OK now but, it still has slight surging like you said you had. It lets go around 3500 RPMs in 3rd gear and I don't understand why. The coil packs are from Auto Zone. Do you think they could just not be agreeing with my truck. I have changed them both twice. What was the solution in your case? Please help.
    '97 Ford Ranger manual with slight surging throughout gears. As you shift through the gears it will open up at different RPMs (lower as you go higher in the gear range.) Any suggestions?
  • martinw1martinw1 Posts: 1
    my 95 explorer has similar symptoms, I dont think its a fuel pump, they either pump or dont pump. I'm thinking relay or ignition control module, fuel filter might need changed too .
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Posts: 215
    I noticed a few of you complained about pinging problems.
    Many times that can be a known ranger problem that either the MAF sensor needs cleaning or replacing.
    My apologies if this has been addressed already and hope it helps.
  • I have been having this problem for a long time.
    When ever I accelerate on the freeway, particularly when going up a grade, the engine sputters and completely looses power, and acts like it is not getting gas.
    I have replaced the Plugs, Wires, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pressure Regulator. and Fuel Pump.
    I have replaced the O2 sensor recently.
    I'm thinking, could it be EGR?
    It does it on acceleration. When I hold the pedal at a certain place, at lets say 60 mph, or around 2500 rpm, it will come and go, but it always happens under a load.
    I am tired of throwing parts at mine. The Ford dealer said there are no codes, and I think that means they are too lazy to troubleshoot. I did a few things to my truck today, and will let you know what I find out. I did think about the EGR but am not sure. Will research more.