Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kbloxkblox Posts: 5
    My ranger just started doing this and it is intermittent. Runs like it is going out of gas, no power then it picks up if I give it more throttle, but at constant spead it tends to buck again like it is running out of gas. Just had it scoped, nothing wrong according to machnic but it was running alright then, had it full tunned up anyway.. Just started again. Could there be something wrong with the fuel pump? How could I tell.
    What is the MAF sensor and where is it?
    1987 Ranger. Where is the relay located and what does it look like.
  • Doesn't turn over when started. The interior lamp,radio and key in ignition beeper work until the last turn of the key to start the igntion or until I turn the headlights to the on postion (the lamps don't shine). I checked fuses, cleaned batt cables--could it be weak battery (it's at least 7 years old).
  • rmarlowrmarlow Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Ford Ranger XLT extended cab. I am having a problem with my speedometer, it does not work till you are going over 30MPH and will stop working if you slow down below 30MPH. Someone told me that I have an electronic Speedometer and that it might be the sensor that is going out. I don't know where to go Chiltons book does not cover it in the book. :blush: :sick:
  • bristlybristly Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Ranger 2.3 5speed and I had the clutched replaced about 3 years ago
    about 9 months ago something went wrong I don't know if its the clutch or what
    when I start the truck I can put it in any gear and it wont engage I don't even have to push in the clutch I can just put it in gear and nothing happens it don't even stall
    Is this a bad clutch or does it have a problem with the linkage
    any help would be great
  • I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4. I swithced it to four wheel drive yesterday to drive up a set of ramps to change the oil. After I drove off the ramps I tried to put it into 2wd again. I turned the switch on the dash to 2wd but it refused to shift out of four wheel drive. I have tried everything I can think of.
    Has anyone else had this problem or can you give me some advice.

Ed
  • aaftabaaftab Posts: 4
    I have a 99 Ranger XLT extended cab also. A few months back, my speedometer had same problem. After few phone calls at the FORD dealership, I found that there are two sensors that control speedometer. One is located on the Transmission and the second one is on the rear end. If your ABS light is on since your problem began, you have to replace the one on rear end. If it's just the Speedometer, it's the sensor on the Transmission. The cost from a FORD dealer is about $ 28.00 in small town in Alabama. Replacement is very easy, there is only one bolt holding it down. Once the bolt is loose and removed, you have to wiggle it little to get it out. Good Luck. :)
  • heideheide Posts: 2
    WE HAVE A 1998 FORD RANGER 2.5L-PROBLEM IS EVERY NOW AND THEN WHEN SLOWING DOWN OR AT A STOP THE REV GOES WAY TOO HIGH- I HAVE TRIED HITTING THE GAS FAST THEN LET GO BUT THE REV STILL IS TOO HIGH- SOEMTIMES THE RPM IS @ 4000 THEN GOES SLOWLY DOWN VERY SLOWLY TO 2000- i HAD IT @ THE SHOP BUT THE MECHANIC THINKS IT IS EITHER THE PCV OR THE CONTROL SENSOR-I EVEN TRIED READING THE COMPUTER BUT IT DOESN'T SHOW ANYTHING,, CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A HINT SO I CAN ACTUALLY GET THE TRUCK WORKING PROPERLY THANKS :confuse:
  • warptenwarpten Posts: 1
    Turn signals work normally only with no other lights activated
    Also, no reverse lights come on when in reverse. This is a 2000 Ranger w/34000 miles. The emergency flashers work at all times. I replaced the rear bulbs and checked all the fuses. So the turn signals work fine until I step on the brakes or turn on the parking or headlights. This is confusing.
    Has anyone seen this before? Thanks for any help.
  • wjs32wjs32 Posts: 1
    The other day I stopped to fill up and when I restarted the 4x4 light came on the dash 4x4 button as well as the dash message panel. So I shut the truck off and restarted and the lights were out. The next day, after driving then turning the truck off and restarting the lights are now back on - along with the Low Range lights. They will no longer go out when the truck is restarted and the truck is certainly not in four wheel drive, the lights just say that it is, however in this condition, I can't turn the lights out or actually engage four wheel drive. If anyone has any information on this I would really appreciate it.
    My 87 ranger is acting exactly like yours did minus the engine light. Did you ever find out what was wrong with yours.
  • My 1999 Ranger is having transmission problems. When I start the truck the ABS light comes on. When I put the truck in Drive and then get a few hundred feet up the driveway the Check engine light comes on and the Overdrive off (O/D off) light starts flashing. When this occurs the transmission starts acting funny as if it doesn't know what gear it wants to go into. Anybody have any ideas? :sick:
  • WD-40 in the switch area will solve the problem for years, it did in my case anyway
  • brysuebrysue Posts: 35
    Mass Air Flow sensor. It is located somewhere after the air filter in the air intake path. I have a 97 and it is just after the air filter. There are a couple wires running to it. Your best bet is to spend about 12 to 15 dollars and buy a Haynes or Chilton manual for your year model truck. It will tell you everything.
    Do you have the air conditioning running when this happens?
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    The sensor for ABS in the rear differential causes such symptoms.

If you just want to throw parts at the problem without have the codes checked, which you said are being set, them replace this sensor. It's pretty easy to replace.
  • justus3justus3 Posts: 21
    We just got the truck back today. It purrs like a kitten now. Apparently it was some kind of air flow sensor gone bad. After $400+ for parts and repair work, the problem seems to be taken care of. Keeping in mind though that the $400 includes money spent on an a fuel pump we didn't need and two trips with the tow truck. The actual price for the repair itself was only about $180.
    Clean the MAF sensor and see if that works. Electronic cleaner works well. If that does not work, replace it. You can do this yourself and save on labor cost.
  • weldewelde Posts: 1
    I am looking for a response to this problem as well. The starter will not turn at all. Have you replaced your starter? I did with no luck. They also replaced some wiring and the nuetral switch. The truck ('99) has been back to Ford three times and they can't fix it.

Mike