Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• i got another transmisson, 4 speed and i want to convert the hydralic cluch into a line clutch. how would i do that. would i have to change anything?
  • I have a 1997 Ford Ranger V6 and the air in the interior is only coming out of the defrosters. The positions of he air control are not working inside the truck. purchased a new control switch but still nothing. Anyone seen this before?

Thinking it was a vacuum leak or broken line I searched under the dash then then under the hood. I did find 2 burnt lines which were not connected to anything under the coil. However, I can't seem to figure out where they go. I searched everywhere. Could this be the reason I only get air from the defrosters and if so does anyone
    have any idea where the 2 lines connect? Thanks...
  • Did you ever figure out what the problem was with your 97 Ranger? I'm having the same problem. I only get air through the defrosters. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Brandon.
  • I have a 2000 Ranger 4X4 XLT with 4.0L V-6 and 5-speed automatic with 101K miles. I've noticed a minor cracking/grinding/popping noise coming from the front end at low speeds. The noise seems to be most noticable in stop and go traffic. I've checked the brakes and replaced the front shocks with no changes in the noise. There is also a slight vibration that seems to resonate through the steering wheel when the noise occurs. At times the noise seems to follow the rythm of the wheels turning. Besides brakes and shocks, what else should I consider? Someone mentioned ball joints and tie rod ends but I haven't checked those yet. Thanks.
  • I have the same problem which has just occurred. I have not found a solution as of yet. Did you find any answers?
  • I own a 1997 Ford Ranger. About 2 years ago, my check engine light came on. I had it scanned, and it came up with a code of 1443B ( Evap Ctrl Sys/Vac Sys). I work in the automotive field, and asked a few mechanics if it was serious. They told me no, I was just polluting the air more than normal. About a month ago, I noticed that the truck was going through a ton of gas. I scanned it again. Came up with P1405B (DPFE upstream hose off), and P0402 (Excessive EGR flow). Anyone have any ideas? I hate to change a bunch of parts, and find out it was just one part. Help!!!! If you can.
  • rng99rng99 Posts: 1
    Ok...I read a ton of posts about the VSS but in a 99 there is no VSS. The antilock does have a sensor, so it is either that or the pcm. My problems are very similar to a VSS problem....speedo stopped working....hard shift...abs light on...I do not know which way I should go.
  • My 1999 Ranger has the same problem with the air control stuck on defrost. I am just starting to research the problem. I will let you know if I figure it out. Any help or suggestions would be great.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    I think this is the year (or a couple of years about this age) with a 'usual' problem.

I can't describe exactly the problem, with correct names, but here is my best try.

The post on one of the 'air control' flappers (or the post on the control rod that moves the flapper) in the heater box is broken. It is plastic, and it just breaks. To repair, the dash must be removed to get it out. And the part (I think) is part of the entire air control set of flappers ( usually 2 or 3 'flappers') - it must all be replaced. Big money. $1,000 or so.

If you are mechanically handy, if you look on other Ford Ranger sites, there is a documented 'work around'. It is pretty messy, involving drilling a hole through the broken shaft and inserting a pin, or something like this. Not really sure about this. But it fixes the old part and don't have to buy the entire air assembly.

Good luck. If this is your problem, you have quite a problem to get it working correctly again.
  • mcs2mcs2 Posts: 1
    have a 2000 ranger. engine blew @ 38000mi. all internall (no oil or visual damage). same loss of compressoin and loss of all electric power as well. dealer blamed valve spring break, had to replace engine. i am hearing more of this prob. and wonder about manufacturing prob. there is a reason for loss of compression...
  • mrp1mrp1 Posts: 3
    Hi,

I had the exact same problem with my 99. They would usually break free but the last time resulted in a trip to the shop on a flatbed. The problem is a seal on the rear hub that is prone to leaking. The folks at Utton's Mufflers (802) 229-9005 in Montpelier Vt are familiar with the issue and can tell you exactly what the problem is.

Good luck.

MP
  • mrp1mrp1 Posts: 3
    Visually erfiy that your front drive shaft still spins (drive back and forth a few times) after the 4wd drops out. If so, its either bad locking hubs (I had to replace mine) or a vacuum leak on the lines that drive the locking hubs (also a problem on mine). The lines come off the front hubs and meet just in back of and below the right headlight at a solonoid then run back to the firewall. put a vaccum gauge on the line at the hubs and verify that it pull 14 in of h20 vacuum and doesn't leak more than .5 in h20 in 30 seconds. repeat for both hubs and then upstream of the vacuum solonoid.

Good luck,

MP
  • Yes, I have 87' 2.9 5 speed. The clutch was just replaced and the point of friction is so far off the floor it is almost at the point where the pedal stops. It is hard to drive, but you just have to get used to it.
  • ejr16ejr16 Posts: 1
    I've got a 93 Ranger V6 5-speed, and about a month ago, it has started to make a clacking/screeching right at cold startup. It goes away after started, and does not happen if it has been started multiple times and warms up.

Any ideas??
  • How do I disable the anti theft device so my auto starter will work, I have a transponder in it now with the code key in it, but when I plug in the power to the bulldog starter, the parking lights blink continuosly Iv tryed a few things already but nothing seems to work, can any one help, thank you
    Louis
  • I have a 2000 Ranger 4.0L V6 automatic. I am having a problem. When I go downhill, i lose speed like no tomorrow, out of all vehicles I have driven I have never had a problem losing speed downhill. I have checked my brakes and they are fine, nothing has rusted up. Is it possibley my transmission not going out of a gear it should be? and is it a sensor or a solenoid I can replace. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • My truck has quite a noise coming from the power steering. Is this normal for the rangers?
  • I'm concerned about electric shift to 4wd I have always had machanical shift (GMC) Now I'm looking at Ford ranger. The electric shift from switch on dash is troubleing. Maybe your problem is a Solonoid or damaged wiring to solonoid. That sounds kind of cheap for a rugged off road vehicle. Solonoids can burn out or even blow a fuse and stop ability to shift into 4wd when you need it most.
  • Maybe I should stay with GMC or go to Toyota Tacoma.???
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    Why not go ahead and get a real truck and buy a Dodge?? :)