Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have an 01 Ranger Edge 2x4 and have torn apart the front brakes every few months for the last few years. Problems include sticking brakes, warped/out-of-true rotors, severely rusted rotors made of pig iron :) , etc. I've replaced the rotors a couple times and the pads many times. Tonight, I get to tear into it again if I can get home from work. Guess it's time to replace the calipers? I might try the grease you mentioned too. My Ford mechanic buddy told me these Ranges are great; except for their front-ends. I'd like to report this problem to someone with authority.
  • My driver's side mirror got knocked out and I can't get it in the housing correctly. Everything looks in tact. It has two spring (aluminum) arms on the one side and I can't find where they hook up. Anyone have any thoughts??? :confuse:
  • i have a '91 ranger with a 4.0 and the five-speed manual transmission. i was wondering if anybody had any ideas that might help me with my problem. i have fuel, spark and the injector fires at the right time, becuase the coil is a dual pole coil i know that it is good. but that cylinder is still dead, i am plum out of ideas. my father and one of the master mechanics that he employs can't figure out what is wrong with my truck?
  • I am wondering how to go about changing the turn signal horn in my 1984 ranger to a steering wheel horn instead.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Are you cleaning the rust off the 'slide' areas where the caliper moves in and out?

Use a steel brush or something like this, and then coat with the special brake grease.

Also, if these calipers have 'pins', be sure to grease the pins when you put them back in.
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    Why not go ahead and get a real truck and buy a Dodge??

Why would you want a vehicle that has a name that means "steer clear of"? :P
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    Why not go ahead and get a real truck and buy a Dodge??

Why would you want a vehicle that has a name that means "steer clear of"?

That's meant solely as a warning to pedestrians..... :P
  • I have driven the Toyota, both in standard and automatic. Great truck overall, but I have no complaints on my 1994 Ford Ranger, either.
  • I have been having a problem in my 1998 Ranger xlt 5spd mnl trans truck with the lights. When a passenger gets in, the overhead lights like to stay on. After about 20 mins, they blink out, as the should normally. The door open dummy light stays on too...anyone know anything?

This is most likely a bad door switch. ford hid them WELL in the 98 models, so I can't suggest where it's located, but if you can find it, replace it. Also, let me know its location, my sister has a similar problem with a 98 Mercury (Ford) Sable, but i can't locate the switch
  • I also own a 94 Ranger. Look at your Haynes manual again. i have the same book. The wiring diagrams are in chapter 12, the one applicable to mine in particular is on page 12-19. Since you are going from the fuse to the inertia switch, you are bypassing the fuel pump relay, which is most likely the culprit. Good luck.

My '94 Ranger failed to startup recently. After some debugging work, I found out that the fuel pump is not turned on during startup. The fuse is fine. I can also make the fuel pump running by jumping a wire directly to inertia switch. So the problem must lies somewhere in the circuit between the fuse and the inertia switch. I have a Haynes Repair Manual but could not find any wiring diagram about the fuel pump. Does anyone know how the fuel pump is wired, or where I can possibly find the wiring diagram? Thanks in advance!
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Another usual problem with this age Rangers.

The switch is inside the doors. It is near the lock itself, not the hinges. Some people have luck spraying WD40 or Electrical Cleaner through the lock or through the outside handle.

Best way is to remove the door panel and actually get to the switch. Clean it or replace it.
  • I was looking at a 99 ranger 4x4 with the 3.0 engine and the auto 4 spd trans. When test driving I noticed that when I slowed down to a crawl I could feel a thunk in the drive line some where, then when I took off from a stand still I felt another thunk. Is this normal for a ford? I am not used to fords so I am wondering if this one is about to have a problem. It had 31k miles on it.

Thanks!

This isn't normal on any car, I would look at something else. I own a 1994 V6 Ranger, 5 speed maual with no such issues
  • The switch is inside the doors. It is near the lock itself, not the hinges. Some people have luck spraying WD40 or Electrical Cleaner through the lock or through the outside handle.

Best way is to remove the door panel and actually get to the switch. Clean it or replace it.

This will then likely apply to the situation I have with the Sable. Thanks
  • My truck has quite a noise coming from the power steering. Is this normal for the rangers?

Check the fluid level
  • I am wondering how to go about changing the turn signal horn in my 1984 ranger to a steering wheel horn instead.

You may have to get a steering wheel off an newer model or an aftermarket replacement, since a horn switch isnt built into your steering wheel. Then you will have to re route the switch wire(s) to the steering wheel's horn button
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    Dodge - "that warning is for pedestrians"

Yeah, I guess if you're walking toward one, it would be a good turn toward a ford. :shades:
  • I was attempting to remove the schock absorber on my '94 4x4 Ranger when I snapped the bottom mounting hardware. This would be the tab stud that is on the radius arm. Does anybody know if the tab stud is removable/replaceable w/o having to replace the entire radius arm? It appears it should come off, but, then it looks like it was machine pressed. Gotta love those engineers!
  • I just picked up a '91 Ranger, 2.3, 5 speed. I am enjoying the truck but don't like the way it handles through turns and during quick changes in steering. Has anyone tried anti-sway bars?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,416
    sway bars are mostly for body roll...if you have slipping/sliding, that's more of a tire problem. If you have a lot of directional instability in a hard turn (wandering, bouncing) that's a shock/strut problem usually.

• brysuebrysue Posts: 35
    You probably have a aging serpentine belt. Check the inside of the belt for cracks. It probably needs replacement.