Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 99 ranger 2.5L 4 cyl manual, wipers go on randomly, some days more than others. Has anyone ever heard of this? Suggestions?
  • frohrsfrohrs Posts: 17
    I have a 1995 Ford Ranger XLT 2300 motor. I bought this new in 1995. 266,000 miles on it & still going strong. replaced starter & had head rebuilt. Not bad. However my door chime & dome light stuck on. Driving me crazy. I can pull fuse but the fuse runs the wipers & speedometer. I here it's the switch in the door??

Please help. Going to get to that switch this evening & clean it.

Thanks
  • The phantom wipers is a known problem with Rangers. I think it's due to a bad wiper switch, but do a search of past posts with keyword "wiper" or "wipers" to make sure.
  • I here it's the switch in the door??

You hear correctly -- the switch that senses whether the door is open is in the slot visible along the side of the door when the door is open near the door handle; it mates to the fixed silver tubular latch in the door jam. Spray the switch with contact cleaner (WD-40 works in a pinch).
  • Thanks much, searched the problem, found a great, free, do it yourself solution. I'm going to just post it in case anyone else has this problem. Thanks again!

FOR THE PAHNTOM WIPER SWITCH THAT TURNS ITSELF ON BY ITSELF:
    The following is based on observation of my 1999 Ranger, other years may be different. I fixed the phantom windshield wipers myself, you can too. It turns out all you need to do is clean the switch up.To clean the switch does NOT require removing the turn signal from the steering column and takes about ten minutes.1. On the turn signal lever, remove the end cap with a small screwdriver.2. Remove the phillips screw located under the end cap.3. WATCH IT! there is a spring to push back against the wiper rotating knob. Hold in the wiper switch so it won't go flying.4. WATCH IT! again. When removing the wiper rotating switch there are two detents that are pressed against the inside of the knob (with another small spring pushing against each other) to give detents to the different levels of wiper delay when you rotate the knob.5. Inside you will see the switch wiper mounted to a white plastic piece that you can just pull out. It looks kind of weird with 4 arms and an elbow wiper coming out of it.6. After you pull out the switch wiper just gently clean everything inside, a sort of circuit board looking goodie with rings for the switch wiper to rotate on.I used a rag and a small (jewelers) screwdriver to clean the board inside and very carefully made sure the gaps between the traces were clean. There is quite a bit of grease in there.I reassembled the switch using lubriplate (it was handy) and it was very easy to disassemble and to reassemble.I have had no re-occurrence of the phantom windshield wiper and I don't miss it a bit.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    Usually the 'multi-function switch' is bad. The one that controls wipers, turn signals, washer, etc, etc. Whatever is on that stalk.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    It's near the latch itself. Sometime spraying electrical cleaner or WD40 into the latch will get some on the light switch and free it up. Otherwise the door panel must come off.
  • phisherphisher Posts: 175
    Anyone have any ideas on this problem. My 99 ranger 4x4 left blinker light stays on continuously with the lights on and when there off and I use the blinker the radio read out dims every time the blinker light goes on. Any advice appreciated
    landdriver,

Thanks for the info. I took the door panel off & unplugged the switch & cleaned the switch with some electric contact cleaner, didn't work! I assume the switch needs to be replaced so I'm going to check with my Ford parts dealer. In the mean time I just left it unplugged. I don't here the beeping in my sleep anymore!!

Thank You
    Thanks I took the door panel off and unplugged the swithc & sprayed with electric contact cleaner, didn't work! I'm going to order a new switch from Ford. In the meantime I just left the switch unplugged. No more beeping in my sleep.

Thank you.
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    I recently had a similar problem with my 96 Ranger with the four cyl engine. It turned out the the front coil pack was bad on the #3 lead. It wasn't getting any fire out of it. The coil pack itself is about $40 and is available at almost any parts house.

My truck also idled just fine, but my mechanic explained that with the four cyl the front coil controls the plugs on the intake side. These are the ones which do most of the work. The rear coil controls the plugs on the exhaust side which are more for emissions purposes. These plugs fire when the engine is cold, at low speeds, or under a load. The computer will at higher speeds shut down the rear coil and those "exhaust" plugs.

As best as I can figure when the truck is idling these extra plugs must be firing and keeping the miss to a minimum. However, when the engine warms up or reaches a certain rpm they quit firing and the miss immediately becomes more noticeable.
  • My 1995 Ranger STX died today. I pulled on to an island in the street. The truck would turn over but wouldn't stay started for long. I waited for a few minutes and then it fired right up! I drove a couple hundred feet more and it died again. Didn't want to start again for awhile. Finally, I turned it over and it started and I didn't give it any gas and it slowly reved up until it was running right? I think it might be a fuel filter. Anyone else know what this might be??? Has anyone changed these? Any help is greatly appreciated! :confuse:
  • Was your check engine light on when you were having the problem? Ours has been on intermittently over the last few months and now stays on almost constantly. Hubby hooked the truck up to an OBD II and got a code P1131 HO2S 11, indicates lean (bad oxygen sensor). So he is going to replace the oxygen sensors and see if that helps. If not, I will tell him about your truck. I hope he can fix the truck soon so I can have my car back. ;)
  • Just bought a 98 ranger that has the am/fm/cassette radio. I want to remove it and put in player with the cd player and controls. I have a couple of questions.

1) do i really need "special" tools to remove the old unit?
    2) once removed, is it simply unplugging the existing plugs?
    3)is the new player as simple to install as simply plugging back in those plugs and sliding back into bay?

I have seen several used factory cd players that have come out of the rangers/windstars and other ford/mercury vehicles and say they are all compatible. How do i insure that they are compatible with my 98 Ranger.

Thanks sooo much for all the help.

Dale In Asheville NC
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    No, I never saw the check engine light come on, but with 240,000 miles on it, I'm not sure that mine even works. :)

Anyway, my problem started rather suddenly one day, and it was obviously an ignition issue.
  • phisherphisher Posts: 175
    FYI I've solved the left blinker problem, It seems that I'm not the only one out there that has run into this problem. I checked on some ranger web sites and found that the issue arises from an aftermarket trailer wiring harness. It might just be coincidence but both other people that had this issue had a drawtite wiring kit. Hope this helps out anyone else that experiences this problem. If this isn't the cause I just hope that what ever is causing it doesn't return in the next 2-3 days as I'm planning to trade her in before the end of the month. ;) :P
  • 99 Ranger, Manual 2.5L 4 cyl, hard time trying to change the spark plugs. Any suggestions? Is it worth it to take it to a shop? Do I have to remove the upper part of the intake manifold? Please help!!! Thanks!
  • I have just noticed these same symptoms in my 2001 Mazda B4000. Only happens when it's snowing. Have you gotten any resolution to this problem?
  • Just reposting hopeing for help. I haven't bought the motorcraft idle air control valve yet in that i dont really have the money to blow unless there is a chance it fixing my problem. My truck continues to idle high between shifting the gears and sometimes when coming to a stop. I think it is taking a toll on the clutch. Any Ideas.
  • I am seeking information as to what the wiring route is for
    the white with blue stripe wire .From the plug at transfer case to where it terminates.This truck was bought at auction it was improperly wired:(from battery to toggle switch in cab out to switch at transfer case ).I want to rewire this correctly can someone please assist with some information .the schematics in the book I bought don't go far enough to tell you .I do know the wire at the plug connecting to the swich at the transfer case is white with a blue stripe.This ranger has a 2.9 with automatic trans if that helps .