Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• I felt exactly like you. It rides and feels every bump. If that's what they mean by a sports ride or European ride, you can have it. The space inside is less, pocket doors on doors no longer open, opening for coffee cups no longer have a cover, rear seats no longer recline, widow area less, more cramped up front, what ever they improved, they took a lot away. If this is what younger folks like, they can have it. Like you after testing the car, I drove it right back and asked them to find a 2012 to replace my 2011 for I knew this was the end of the Avalon the way I enjoyed it, nice space inside, comfortable ride etc., easy to get into the car. Whatever they supposedly improved such as sport ride etc., they lost me as a customer. I got my 2012 Av and I love it, and since its the last of its breed it will fetch a great price when it's time to sell it. Toyota will not go back to redesigning the car back to where it was. Its a done deal and they can have it. In a few years I will see what's available, in the meantime I'm enjoying my 2102 with 8,300 miles on it. Good luck to you dworth. They said the hell with us older folks. I also don't like the front grill, but would have purchased the 2013 if the ride and space was similar.
  • I am 73 and They said "welcome to secure stable handling and a well controlled ride." And I drove the car with Michlins with 33lbs of air in them not the usual 40lbs that they are shipped with and I said "great your finally built a car I can buy". Different strokes for different folks and the lagging sales of the 2012 Avalons vs the surging sales of the 2013's says the did the correct thing. Guess you will have to buy a Buick!
  • Not to be a downer but if you look at annual sales since the 2000 model, sales have always surged in the first year of a new model. The proof of the new 2013 design will be how sales hold up through the 2014-2016 model years.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    Exactly. It may be that Toyota has found a winner even though many here are leaving the brand for other makes. If sales continue at the pace set by the 2013 or improve then I guess the marketers had it right... lose a few but gain many. The car is not that expensive to build along with the Camry so they don't need sales of 300k units to be happy in Kentucky. My guess is that sales will slowly decline as before but this version will last at least 4 years as it looks now and make some money for them all the way. Stay tuned...
  • First let's put the handling dispute to rest. This is hugely subjective, and it's only resolved by driving it and deciding for yourself. But do make sure the tires aren't overinflated; when I picked up my car they were about 40. I never drove the Avalon before this year's model, but I can't imagine I would have liked it. This is not to denigrate those who like a cushy ride; it's just that that doesn't include me. My last two cars were Infiniti Q45's: a 1994 bought new, and a 2002 bought in 2007. Switiching to an Avalon will seem odd to many, but although I still feel that Infiniti makes the Japanese "driver's car", they simply aren't reliable enough (particularly systems such as traction control and cruise control) and I was tired of poor fuel economy (~17mpg) and needing premium gas. Yes, the Avi is softer, and I wouldn't drive it like a sports car, but I find it comfortable with acceleration and handling that are fine for me. And, after three fillups I'm getting 37mpg, on the hybrid, of course. Speaking of hybrid, the price premium is so small for this car I wouldn't even have considered buying the gas model.

Price: I shopped at three dealers. The two that I seriously considered I contacted through email to their "Internet sales person." Both of these salespeople were in their early twenties and pretty "green". My theory is that the dealerships are paying these people less that other sales people and therefore the car can be purchased for less. My reduction was about $3,000 off of MSRP, and I got just what I wanted ($5,000) for my Q45 (with no traction control and no pretensioner on seat belt).

Comfort: I'm nearly 6' 4" tall and the steering wheel doesn't telescope as much as I like, but what bothered me most was lack of room for my left leg, UNTIL I removed the block of styrofoam under the carpet allowing me to immediately get comfortable!

Touring vs. Ltd: Some of the features in the Limited are insignificant to me (such as ventilated seats). The sound system however is atrocious in the Touring and excellent in the Ltd. (although bass-heavy on the radio, but interestingly not with an MP3 player connected). However, what swayed me was the seat, which just didn't fit me in the Touring.

So, I'm very pleased with this car and hope to own it for ten to fifteen years!

Hope this helps.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Man, I haven't checked out this forum in a while. While I loved many things about my 2013 Avalon, I didn't love enough things that I ended up trading for a 2012 É and for the most part I'm very glad I did.

Now, the new style was fine with me. I wish they had done it at the size of the earlier models.

The ride issues, could have been resolved by simply making a "S" (sports) model for those so incline to wanting one.

The interior size, the trunk opening, the folding rear seats and other issues (for me), would NOT have been issues, had they just keep it the size of the earlier models.

The sales numbers are great for the 2013, and they WILL go down for the 2014, as many folks who wanted one, have since purchased it.

Had they made:

- LE
    - S, RS (sports model with what a sports model needed)
    - Limited (Boat model, soft ride, quiet ride, comfortable ride)
    - Hybrid

They could have please even MORE folks, and I for one, would still own mine. I own my own business, so I understand doing what it takes to pay the bills, I for one, just think, they could have served more folks by doing this. But hey, what do I know.

As for the Lexus line, even there, when I get an LS 460, it will be an older one, as they are rated more comfortable then the current model.

Skip
  • Good points all but I suspect the bean counters would not support such diversity and choice. It would reduce the economy of scale.
    ???

Current models are:

XLE Base
    XLE Premium
    XLE Touring
    Limited

Hybrid XLE Premium
    Hybrid XLE Touring
    Hybrid Limited
  • davidinnvdavidinnv Posts: 15
    edited October 2013
    Message below received today from Toyota Customer Experience representative:

"The 2014 Avalon Limited Hybrid will have the second generation Entune. The 2014 Avalon will be arriving at our dealers any time."

I share this because when Toyota issued an official news release in early August naming the models that would have the upgraded Entune system in their new 2014 models, Avalon was not named in that announcement. The second-generation Entune upgrade is reputed to be so much more advanced that the current version, that I was going to hold off ordering until it became available.

I have been told that the 2014s will actually be available in November, and my dealer is not currently taking orders because they have not received the materials needed to do so.
  • dcd55dcd55 Posts: 2
    Some new info.

Put a deposit down today on a 2014 XLE Touring Hybrid. Dealer said production on the 2014 Avalons was moved up to this Monday, Oct 7. My car should be on the dealer lot in 2-3 weeks. I ordered the Creme Brulee exterior color which is supposedly the same color as Champagne Mica because the color numbers are the same.

Dealer also said the base price on this trim line is going up $500 and that the second generation of entune will be on the 2014s, but that all first generation owners will be able to get the upgrade, too.
  • Any updates on when these will be showing up?
    Thanks!
  • Good news! Information is starting to flow.

I just found the e-brochure for the 2014 Avalon.

http://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/2014/avalon_ebrochure.pdf

It's hard for me to tell from reading the brochure if the Entune second-generation system is what is described. Maybe someone can run the specs and confirm whether this is the case.
    Heck, it's hard to see if there are any changes from the brochure

Skip
    Just watched a video on the 2014 Corolla, and the Nav is MUCH better then the Avalons.

You can say a complete address É NO more 1 number at a time, NO more, City, then State and so on.

This by itself would be worth upgrading. IF the Avalon comes with one like it.

Skip
  • rrggrrgg Posts: 1
    >Touring vs. Ltd: Some of the features in the Limited are insignificant
    >to me (such as ventilated seats). The sound system however is
    >atrocious in the Touring and excellent in the Ltd. (although
    >bass-heavy on the radio, but interestingly not with an
    >MP3 player connected). However, what swayed me was the
    >seat, which just didn't fit me in the Touring.

In case this helps, on the Camry XLE there's a DSP setting in the audio system settings that was set to High by default causing the same problem you described. Very bass-heavy with muted lyrics, but not when using MP3. I switched it to Low and the sound is much much better. It took me 6 weeks to notice this.

Maybe the Avalon has the same or similar setting.
  • There's a saying that all things are relative. Regarding ventilated seats, someone like myself who lives in Nevada, where the summers can be brutal, is likely to find ventilated seats to be a great boon at that time of year. I know I certainly do.
  • dcd55dcd55 Posts: 2
    Here's the pricing per Toyota's pressroom for the '14s. Contrary to what the dealer told me, the MSRP price for the Hybrid XLE touring is going down $500, but the blind spot monitor is now optional, perhaps accounting for the price drop. See:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+pricing+2014+avalon+prius.htm
  • vservser Posts: 48
    How's the glare off that chrome?

Also curious if there's any simple voice Nav? Do you still have to speak each part of the address one by one?
    Yes, a bit of glare, and yes, in my (since traded) 2013 Limited, I had to give directions one by one, but others have said in their models (Touring), they can say it all at once?

Skip
  • I now have 8800+ miles on our car and as I hoped the seats are breaking in nicely and are noticeably more comfortable. Very noticeable on our recent 2000+ mile trip with family members. Mixed bag on rear seats because they have not had much use but interestly one passenger found them very comfortable another not so much. On the way back everyone seemed fine with the seats comfort so break in was already improving rear seat comfort. Terrific road car and loves to run. Faster you go the better it feels until you reach "go to jail speeds" but was very surprised how most motorists ignored the posted speed limits. The average speeds seemed to be 8-10 MPH over in the slow lane except for heavily loaded trucks and 10-15 MPH over and more in the left lane or fast lanes. Amazing! Even at those speeds fully load with 4 passengers and a trunk full of luggage milage hovered around 30MPGs. This is one solid,quiet,effient road burner
  • With the addition of tire and wheel choices it would start to look like this:
    XLE base with 17"" wheels and tires
    XLE base with 18" wheels and tires
    XLE premium with 17" wheels and tires
    XLE premium with 18" wheels and tires
    And so on.
    Naturally you could limit the choices to certain models but the effect would be the same, a loss in economy of scale and added production costs per unit.
    Lexus charges more per unit for much the same car and offers more wheel and tire choices but the customer pays for the extra choices. Think I am wrong?see if you can find a ES 350 that list for $32,000.00 with full leather seats.
    2016, 2017, 2018, and so on, will be the real test.
    I was saying, drop one of the current models, and make the LTD a comfortable model, shocks and maybe seats would be all they'd have to do.

Skip
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 107
    I'm a big fan of Motorweek on the Velocity channel. This Tuesday they rated large sedans, specifically, the Avalon, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Maxima, Azera, Impala and I think the Taurus. Not surprisingly the Impala won. But what is surprising is that the Avalon did not even place in the top 4. I think the other finishers were the 300, Charger and the Azera, although my recollection of finishers 2 thru 4 may be faulty. (You can probably pullup the episode on motorweek.com).

Anyway, I know this is just one opinion, but the Avalon used to be the benchmark in just about everyone's opinion, including Motorweek & Consumer Reports, in the large sedan, non "luxury" category. It's a disappointment to Avy lovers like me, and probably Skip too.
    Sure is:) And based on my time with the 2013 Avalon, it's not surprising how it finished, albeit, maybe not against fair competition.

As much as I didn't like it, there's NO way in hell, I'd purchase a Ford, Chrysler, Dodge or Maxima over the Avalon, no way.

Now the Azera É maybe. The Impala, not sure.

I look at longevity, resell, RELIABILITY, and resale and I don't think many of these would or could compare.

Skip
  • I would say that idea has merit but future sales and economic reality will make that choice. Frankly, from a personnel stand point I think it would work and generate additional sales if marketed properly. How about "Luxury Limited sedan"?
    :) The smile is because Toyota markets the current models as "Premium Luxury Sedans".

Most folks, most magazines agree, this is not the correct title for the current model.

Many have said, "Premium Luxury Sports Sedan" and or Premium Sedan, but NOT Luxury.

Skip
  • Try to remember that Toyota specifically altered the 2013 Avalon models to appeal to younger buyers. They made no secret of the fact that they wanted to get away from the geriatric image and demographic appeal of prior Avalons and create more of a driver's car that would attract buyers in their 40s and 50s or even younger. Also note that the sales of the 2013 models, as of November, were well over twice (+155%) as great as for the 2012, so maybe they knew what they were doing.

Personally, I love the handling and ride of my 2013 Avalon Limited V6 -- it is close to a sports sedan and for me that is vastly preferable to the Beautyrest Mattress-on-Wheels ride of prior Avalons (as well as prior Buicks et al.) With the powerful V6, it is an exciting car that is fun to drive, and I have found it very well-appointed and comfortable as well. It's darn good-looking, too.

There is a clear trend toward stiffer, better handling suspensions throughout the auto industry, here and abroad (consider the transformation of Cadillac, and even Buick (!), for example.)

Robert N.
    But that doesn't mean we have to like it:)

Skip
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    Yes, you are correct, Toyota does have a younger buyer in mind. But we of the "comfort = soft ride" car buyer group feel left out after all these years. In fact, Toyota could have had us all with a softer ride option. But no, they did not do that... The new ones seem to be a great car and, yes, they are selling well compared to the prior model. I had to pass on the front end, ride and Limited price tag... and after 15 years and three Avalons went to another make. But if the ride ever gets softer and the grille changes a little I will be back looking, love the dependability, fit and finish, etc. And the hybrid is one of the best out there.