Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• I don't know what you are doing to be "rock and rolling." If I start rocking and rolling while driving, it'll probably be time to stop driving.
    I have owned two 2004 Avalons. The ride with the stock stires is good, and the ride with racing tires and custom rims is fantastic.
    It's nice to know that someone thinks the 2013 is a nice ride, because I sure won't be finding out. I drive cars that have style!
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    Also have owned three Avalons, one of each generation. The new 2013 is designed for a changing market and a different buyer, my opinion. The current model is not in my future as it is just too different in too many ways. In time a hybrid car might be in my garage as Toyota seems to have a good thing going on fuel savings, never thought I would say that but the comments here are positive on the hybrid technology. But again, No Sale on the 2013 Avalon as it exists today.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 106
    I had a 98 and a 05 Avalon, both of which I loved. I was in the market last year but passed on the 2013 Avalon mainly because of that grill. Couldn't get passed it. I'm wondering why you do not like the 2013?
    First, the little things... the grille is too large (but if the car is black it looks ok) for one. The windshield angle is too low for good visibility (a common problem today). The seats are not as good as the 2007 Limited I had and the ride is too stiff compared to the 2007. And I drove the sales manager's demo so the tire pressure was set correctly.

Then: I actually like the body style... but when you price a Limited you can buy a Lexus for 1.8k more here in Atlanta. Spend the 1.8k, get the L up front and a better warranty. On top of that the interior is about the same size as a new Honda Accord, a car costing 8k less with similar stuff such as Nav and a V6!

All in all, the 2013 Avalon just does not work for me. After 15 years in three different Avalons it ended when the 300C went on sale this past summer. Big car with plenty of room inside and in the trunk. Will it last like a Toyota? Maybe. But if not I would go to the 4dr Accord V6 (having also owned 6 of them since 1995) as they are a quality car with excellent reliability.
    Hope this answers your question...... :-)
  • As I mentioned earlier, even if I like the new Avalon after a test drive, I won't buy one until it includes the next-generation Entune system. That's how important it is to me. Since it apparently won't be included in the 2014 upon release, the question will be whether it will be added at some point during the production year or whether I'll have to wait until the 2015s. I suspect the latter.
  • I find it interesting you consider a Chrysler 300 a big roomy car. When Car and Driver did a recently combo review including the Avalon and the Chrysler it summed up the Chrysler like this. "Stiff structure,racer brakes (it was the "S" version) ,still looks bad da bling. Lumpy seats,coal-mine interior,CRAMPED BACK SEAT etc. Motor Trend concurred by observing "REAR SEAT ROOM IS LACKLUSTER especialy given the 300's huge overall size. The Avalon got big thumbs up from both mags for lots of room in the all areas especially the rear seat and won the Car and drive comparison test thanks to Michlins tires instead of the awful "Stones" that the Motor Trend" Avalon was cursed with. Based on their comments about how awful the ride was I would bet a steak dinner were over inflated as well.
    Not sure why anyone would use a 300S for comparison. That model comes with 20" tires and a different suspension that makes the ride very firm... the 300C has 18" tires (20" optional) so the ride is much softer and closer to an older Avalon. The brake comment is accurate, it feels like they could stop a train. The 300C seats are also different from the 300S, much softer. The interior is probably a little dull on finish side, yes. The back seat room is less than the 2007 Limited I traded, but close. The trunk storage is larger by a good bit. The 2013 Limited I drove felt small inside compared to the '07 and the 300C also seems a little smaller as did the Honda.

Nothing is perfect, I still like the 2003 Avalon we had for comfort (best seats ever in a car) and size, not to mention reliability. But we travel the interstate to Florida a lot and need the trunk space more than the back seat. By next summer we may look again, possibly at the hybrid, as the 300C may not be the perfect solution. But for the money it was just too much to turn down.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 106
    edited September 2013
    Thanks fin. While so much of this is subjective, your observations make sense to me. I agree that a loaded Limited puts you within reach of a Lexus and other "entry level luxury" rides, which generally gets you a better warranty and dealer service experience. I ended up in a Volvo. Very happy with the car and service perks like free loaners over the life of the car.
  • I suggest you read consumers report of the earlier Avalons. They hammered the emergency handling and the poor ride control over undulating road surfaces( IE better known as"frost heaves"). Thanks for your concern about my well being but I am a long way from giving up my keys. I stand by my comments.
  • My wife & I (both 73) couldn't agree more about the 2013 Avalon's handling and ride...I've ridden in lumber wagons which rode better. We have a 2011 Avalon and won't be buying another until the Toyota designers wake up and realize that riding comfort is just as important to younger buyers as it is to us old folks.

I'm having to look for a 2012 in order to upgrade from my '11...sad times.

Don
  • I felt exactly like you. It rides and feels every bump. If that's what they mean by a sports ride or European ride, you can have it. The space inside is less, pocket doors on doors no longer open, opening for coffee cups no longer have a cover, rear seats no longer recline, widow area less, more cramped up front, what ever they improved, they took a lot away. If this is what younger folks like, they can have it. Like you after testing the car, I drove it right back and asked them to find a 2012 to replace my 2011 for I knew this was the end of the Avalon the way I enjoyed it, nice space inside, comfortable ride etc., easy to get into the car. Whatever they supposedly improved such as sport ride etc., they lost me as a customer. I got my 2012 Av and I love it, and since its the last of its breed it will fetch a great price when it's time to sell it. Toyota will not go back to redesigning the car back to where it was. Its a done deal and they can have it. In a few years I will see what's available, in the meantime I'm enjoying my 2102 with 8,300 miles on it. Good luck to you dworth. They said the hell with us older folks. I also don't like the front grill, but would have purchased the 2013 if the ride and space was similar.
  • I am 73 and They said "welcome to secure stable handling and a well controlled ride." And I drove the car with Michlins with 33lbs of air in them not the usual 40lbs that they are shipped with and I said "great your finally built a car I can buy". Different strokes for different folks and the lagging sales of the 2012 Avalons vs the surging sales of the 2013's says the did the correct thing. Guess you will have to buy a Buick!
  • Not to be a downer but if you look at annual sales since the 2000 model, sales have always surged in the first year of a new model. The proof of the new 2013 design will be how sales hold up through the 2014-2016 model years.
    Exactly. It may be that Toyota has found a winner even though many here are leaving the brand for other makes. If sales continue at the pace set by the 2013 or improve then I guess the marketers had it right... lose a few but gain many. The car is not that expensive to build along with the Camry so they don't need sales of 300k units to be happy in Kentucky. My guess is that sales will slowly decline as before but this version will last at least 4 years as it looks now and make some money for them all the way. Stay tuned...
  • First let's put the handling dispute to rest. This is hugely subjective, and it's only resolved by driving it and deciding for yourself. But do make sure the tires aren't overinflated; when I picked up my car they were about 40. I never drove the Avalon before this year's model, but I can't imagine I would have liked it. This is not to denigrate those who like a cushy ride; it's just that that doesn't include me. My last two cars were Infiniti Q45's: a 1994 bought new, and a 2002 bought in 2007. Switiching to an Avalon will seem odd to many, but although I still feel that Infiniti makes the Japanese "driver's car", they simply aren't reliable enough (particularly systems such as traction control and cruise control) and I was tired of poor fuel economy (~17mpg) and needing premium gas. Yes, the Avi is softer, and I wouldn't drive it like a sports car, but I find it comfortable with acceleration and handling that are fine for me. And, after three fillups I'm getting 37mpg, on the hybrid, of course. Speaking of hybrid, the price premium is so small for this car I wouldn't even have considered buying the gas model.

Price: I shopped at three dealers. The two that I seriously considered I contacted through email to their "Internet sales person." Both of these salespeople were in their early twenties and pretty "green". My theory is that the dealerships are paying these people less that other sales people and therefore the car can be purchased for less. My reduction was about $3,000 off of MSRP, and I got just what I wanted ($5,000) for my Q45 (with no traction control and no pretensioner on seat belt).

Comfort: I'm nearly 6' 4" tall and the steering wheel doesn't telescope as much as I like, but what bothered me most was lack of room for my left leg, UNTIL I removed the block of styrofoam under the carpet allowing me to immediately get comfortable!

Touring vs. Ltd: Some of the features in the Limited are insignificant to me (such as ventilated seats). The sound system however is atrocious in the Touring and excellent in the Ltd. (although bass-heavy on the radio, but interestingly not with an MP3 player connected). However, what swayed me was the seat, which just didn't fit me in the Touring.

So, I'm very pleased with this car and hope to own it for ten to fifteen years!

Hope this helps.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Man, I haven't checked out this forum in a while. While I loved many things about my 2013 Avalon, I didn't love enough things that I ended up trading for a 2012 É and for the most part I'm very glad I did.

Now, the new style was fine with me. I wish they had done it at the size of the earlier models.

The ride issues, could have been resolved by simply making a "S" (sports) model for those so incline to wanting one.

The interior size, the trunk opening, the folding rear seats and other issues (for me), would NOT have been issues, had they just keep it the size of the earlier models.

The sales numbers are great for the 2013, and they WILL go down for the 2014, as many folks who wanted one, have since purchased it.

Had they made:

- LE
    - S, RS (sports model with what a sports model needed)
    - Limited (Boat model, soft ride, quiet ride, comfortable ride)
    - Hybrid

They could have please even MORE folks, and I for one, would still own mine. I own my own business, so I understand doing what it takes to pay the bills, I for one, just think, they could have served more folks by doing this. But hey, what do I know.

As for the Lexus line, even there, when I get an LS 460, it will be an older one, as they are rated more comfortable then the current model.

Skip
  • Good points all but I suspect the bean counters would not support such diversity and choice. It would reduce the economy of scale.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    ???

Current models are:

XLE Base
    XLE Premium
    XLE Touring
    Limited

Hybrid XLE Premium
    Hybrid XLE Touring
    Hybrid Limited
  • davidinnvdavidinnv Posts: 15
    edited October 2013
    Message below received today from Toyota Customer Experience representative:

"The 2014 Avalon Limited Hybrid will have the second generation Entune. The 2014 Avalon will be arriving at our dealers any time."

I share this because when Toyota issued an official news release in early August naming the models that would have the upgraded Entune system in their new 2014 models, Avalon was not named in that announcement. The second-generation Entune upgrade is reputed to be so much more advanced that the current version, that I was going to hold off ordering until it became available.

I have been told that the 2014s will actually be available in November, and my dealer is not currently taking orders because they have not received the materials needed to do so.
  • dcd55dcd55 Posts: 2
    Some new info.

Put a deposit down today on a 2014 XLE Touring Hybrid. Dealer said production on the 2014 Avalons was moved up to this Monday, Oct 7. My car should be on the dealer lot in 2-3 weeks. I ordered the Creme Brulee exterior color which is supposedly the same color as Champagne Mica because the color numbers are the same.

Dealer also said the base price on this trim line is going up $500 and that the second generation of entune will be on the 2014s, but that all first generation owners will be able to get the upgrade, too.