Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Car Suggestions for Arthritis Sufferer

lmpalmer1lmpalmer1 Member Posts: 3
Asking this question on behalf of my grandmother, who is in the market for a new car and has asked me to help. She currently drives an '03 Camry and has one major complaint that has her looking for another car: she has severe arthritis in her hands and the steering wheel is too stiff for her to turn comfortably or easily. The steering wheel isn't stiff in general (I have no trouble with it), but her hands are so weak that steering has become a serious problem, and that's obviously not a minor problem to have when dealing with a car.

I've been trying to research models whose steering wheels are more easily manipulated than others, but almost nothing has come up. I get a lot of hits for heated steering wheels, but that's not going to help much.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions for cars with what I guess you might call a flexible steering wheel. There may be an industry or insider term for that; if there is I don't know it. As far as other requirements go, she wants a 4-door automatic sedan, preferably not American, and price really isn't a concern (unless Lamborghini's are famed for having forgiving steering wheels, in which case that would be a tad overboard). Very grateful for any help anyone can give me.

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You might want to look through, and post in, this discussion:
    Vehicles for Elderly/Limited Mobility Drivers
    It hasn't been active in awhile, but sometimes a new question will change that, and you might find a suggestion that's already been posted there.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lmpalmer1lmpalmer1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the suggestion. I looked through the thread and found no references to arthritis, but I also posted a copy of my query, so hopefully if some folks are still watching the thread, I might get some responses.