Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Tesla A Game Changer?

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    edited October 2013
    The driver, besides being an owner, is an investor in Tesla.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,941
    edited October 2013
    I saw his letter, yeah. Of course he'll want the bubble to carry on.

What I am thinking is that if this was such a big piece of debris, why didn't the "driver" avoid it? Phone in hand, maybe (high end car with standard bluetooth, inept overmonied type behind the wheel, etc - I see the guy is from Bellevue, I see it every day)

Musk has also issued a statement Which is kind of amusing, kind of like the wacky cost of ownership claims. Comparing fire probablity for the vehicle fleet in general vs his car. I'd assume most non-Italian cars that catch fire are old, poorly maintained, and unsafe anyway. To compare those to a brand new expensive car with not a lot of time or miles under its belt is a bit sketchy.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,161
    I read a while back that Tesla contracts repair work with Audi since they felt they were the most advanced as far as structural engineering and exotic materials go.

Thought I read that here on Edmunds actually...
  • Could be true for collision work, since the Audi A8 is an all aluminum frame.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    edited October 2013
    Well, it's pretty easy to predict that at a price of $75,995 the Cadillac Volt ELR won't be a game changer.

One of the big tail winds the Model S has going for it is that it doesn't have even one direct competitor.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,161
    http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/24/tesla-reportedly-poaches-apple-vp-of-product-de- sign-doug-field-to-lead-new-vehicle-development/

Field says that he had never seriously considered leaving Apple. He began his career as a development engineer at Ford but says that he left the auto industry in “search of fast-paced, exciting engineering challenges elsewhere.”

Certainly picked the right company IMO...
  • time will tell....automobiles don't scale up like iPad minis.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,063
    Certainly picked the right company IMO...

Things are falling into place for Tesla as "California, New York and six other states said they would work jointly to adopt a range of measures to make it easier to own an electric car."
    Read full NY Times article at: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/25/business/energy-environment/coalition-of-state- s-seeks-to-spur-use-of-electric-cars.html?ref=automobiles
    Here we go again; governments picking winners and losers. Buyers aren't embracing electric cars, so our elected officials bribe consumers with money and perks to buy them, using your money and mine.
  • I'd rather they put all that money into bike lanes actually. This "feel good" marketing is getting tedious.

Americans want Apple products. Americans do not apparently want electric cars, and are not prying off dealership doors to get at diesels either.

What's the point? MAKE THEM want it?
    edited October 2013
    Put all that money into real world infrastructure improvements (not just to help my local bicyclists who want all the rights and none of the responsibilities) rather than helping the expensive toy car of people who have benefited most from a generation of questionable economic policy.

Maybe some powers that be have speculated in the stock, and this is a way to keep the bubble afloat.
  • the benefits of bicycles lanes don't even need the input or attitude of the bicyclist---each bike is one less car on the road, which is the whole point. Think of a bike as a parking space reserved for you :)
    You do need the cooperation of the bicyclist though, to obey traffic rules, stay in his lane, etc. That's where the rights vs responsibilities come in to play. I'm still waiting to be hit by one while I am jogging, so he can buy me a new house ;)

Often when I see a bicyclist, it is a smarmy middle aged lawyer type in ridiculous gear, probably out on paid time, heading back to his toy car that everyone else subsidized.

Still more of a recreational activity rather than a commuting option for the masses in my area anyway, which has cold rain for half the year. When it's 40F and pouring in December and the destination is 10 miles away, it just doesn't work.

A topic for a different thread, I think. This one is to admire the stock bubble ;)
  • I think my point was at least trying to be on-topic---that if the EV driver can feel environmentally smug about his choice, why not the bicyclist about his?

It seems people buy "lifestyles", they don't crunch the numbers to see what actually makes sense.

Tesla isn't a game changer because it's still the same game they're playing. You can wear any jersey you want but it's still 4 downs and 100 yards.
    edited October 2013
    Oh, no doubt there's as much smug in the typical bicycle commuter as there is in the typical Prius or EV driver. More aggression, too. I don't know how much either are justified.

I took a number of ~300 mile drives last week in an efficient car that didn't require subsidies. When the Tesla gets there, maybe the game will change.
  • Unlike bad car drivers though, aggressive bicyclists have a self-cancelling feature.
    Happens to some bad car drivers too.

On that note, I bet the Tesla will rack up casualty numbers far lower than the vehicle fleet in general - as cars in its price range tend to do.
    While I haven't seen any numbers, my guess is that the average Tesla will be driven fewer miles per year than the average car and, maybe, fewer than the average luxury car too. I say this because I've read that Teslas are most often 3rd, 4th and 5th cars in households. I met just such a person last week, who, in addition to a recently purchased Model S, also owns a Cadillac and a 5-Series. His wife drives the Caddy, and he plans to keep all three.

Also contributing to lower casualties, people who can afford Teslas tend to fly more, rather than drive. I'm sure these factors won't be included in marketing materials touting Tesla's safety.
    October 26, 2013 - FRANKFURT (Reuters)

"Tesla Motors is aiming to sell around 10,000 cars a year in Germany by 2015 as it builds out its networks of charging stations, Elon Musk told a German paper."
    Sounds like people who need that rebate! It'll trickle down, I promise.

re: Germany, I'd wager the gvt there will issue similar incentives (there are already carbon and congestion charges that EVs can dodge), and Germans do like tech. With high population densities and lots of good local infrastructure, developed Europe might be a great market for expansion.