Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix SE code scanner failure

battlinjackbattlinjack Member Posts: 2
My 1998 Pontaic Grand Prix SE 3.1 V6 has failed emissions twice now. I replaced the EGR valve, cam sensor and want to check the code to see if anything else pops, but the code scanner (Mac Tools 9040 Global OBD II Code Scanner #ET9040) won't power up. The scanner works fine on other cars, just not mine. Is there someway I can get it to work?

I'm not big on newer computer cars. My specialty is old American muscle cars and this stuff is just irritating.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Could be a number of things.

First check all fuses.

then check the data port for loose or backed out or corroded pins; also check the connection behind the data port.

On most cars if you insert a slider over pins 16 and 5 (you can buy these sliders at Radio Shack), you can then test for 12V and for a bad ground (16 should read 12V and 5 should supply the ground).
  • battlinjackbattlinjack Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I will do that. I took it to a mechanic I trust and he has various scanners. The first didn't work, but the second one he tried did. Which seems odd to me. I need to talk to him as well.