Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    ummmmm why send a VIN to get a sticker?
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.

Actually that tells me that you have a 2001 ES.
    on 2001 Pros are worth of Zooming?
    I only have 4...I had to figure out some way to offer them. If I get no takers, then it goes to the Tribute board, then MPV...I think you get the picture.

:)
    just sounded like with the VIN, then the 2nd post to make sure you had 2001, you were limiting it to only 2001 owners.
    This is what they look like:
  • rnd2rnd2 Posts: 31
    i tried to send you a e-mail to get a sticker it wouldnt send ?
  • Hello,
    We are from texas, and just bought a 2001 Pro ES 2.0 w/ prem pkg. (sand mica)
    Gamejunki: I saw your earlier post and I think we bought from the same dealership....in Irving, TX?
    Borg
  • hello all
    my name I gerard, I live in north west jersey. I own a 97 LX protege stick shift. it has 93500 miles on it and still going strong. I want to start doing most of maintance and would like to spruce it up . I may have some questions or would like to hear some suggestions. I am looking forward to particapiting in this forum.
  • conheadyconheady Posts: 77
    I live in Rochester... any other pro enthusiasts in my area?
  • scudleyscudley Posts: 10
    I currently live in Syracuse, but I lived in Rochester for a year up until Feb. '00. I had an apartment at Rustic Village across from MCC. I also went to Alfred University which is an hour south of you(graduated in '99) but my twin brother went to RIT so I spent a lot of time in "Soccer-town USA"...GO Rhinos!!

-Michael/Scudley
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    Hey all,

I've been posting here for about the last three weeks, and have meaning to do the introduction thing for some time now, so here it goes.

I just graduated from Gettysburg College, PA this past May (2000) with a degree in History. Since September, I've been working for NARA as a writer editor in Washington, DC while living in Ellicott City, MD with my folks. Soon I hope to be getting an apartment with friends in Bethesda, MD. My 2001 PRO ES 5spd with Prem. Pkg is my very first car, purchased with my own money. It replaced my parents "hand down" 84 Audi 5000S (great car), which will now go to my sister. Well, that's about it. Look forward to getting to know everyone better.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    You didn't tell your age or your name! :)
    Name: Steve

BTW, how'd the window tinting work out?
    I haven't had a chance to go to see about getting the windows tinted yet. A friend of mine's sister got her windows done, and I asked where she did but he forgot to ask her. I am also going to get in touch with the place I heard on the radio about the tinting too. But have other things to do before worrying about getting the windows tinted, like paying the payment on the thing. :)
    I was just curious about the tinting because a friend of mine thinks I should get it done. I agree it would look nice. I'm going to call Russell and see if they have someone they recommend. I also need to speak with them because I bought my car exactly one month ago, Feb 12, and have yet to receive a payment book or the like. The first payment is due on the 29th, which is only two weeks away. Is something amiss? I am going to call the end of the week if I still haven't gotten anything.

Steve
    When you bought the car, did you get the $400 recent college graduate rebate? Just curious.
    Yes I did, they included it in as part of my downpayment. Just gave them a copy of my diploma, no hassle. I thought I was going to have to deal with the evil registrar at school (lots of bad class registration memories) and get a certified copy of the transcript. I was lucky.
    If you did get the college graduate rebate, then you also qualified for no payments for 180 days from the date of purchase of your car. That means you get to enjoy your new Protege for 6 months before making your first payment. Boy, am I jealous of you! :)
    True, I didn't think of that. I remember reading about the 180 days deferred payment, but the finance guy said that the first payment would be March 28th, but maybe he goofed, it was a half hour after closing when I was in the finance room. So he might have forgotten about it, but Mazda Credit didn't, so there is no hurry for them to send me the stuff. Thanks for reminding me about that, I think I might give Russell a call just to double check on that....no need for unecessary late payments, but I think what you said is exactly what happened. I'll let you know what happens.

Steve
    Well, if you have 180 days deferred, you can always make my first car payment if it makes you feel better. :)
  • digidavedigidave Posts: 43
    Hi All

I'm copying pieces of a post I placed in the smart shopper area that perhaps someone here can help me with.

Steve - Where in the US do you live? I would be very interested to know whether or not they honor your 180 days (I'm in NJ).

Dave
    2001 Protégé ES 2.0, prem pkg + cassette
    South Jersey

-------------------------------------------

I recently purchased a Protege, qualifying for and taking the 0% for 48 months finance rate they offered. I am also eligible for the College Grad promotion (which I asked for): 180 days deferred payment and $400 cash back. Well, during the purchase negotiations, the sales person indicated that everything was good to go - I qualified for the promotion and would get the $400 and my 1st payment deferred. However, upon submitting the contract to Mazda American Credit, the dealer told me it was only good for 90 days deferment using 0% financing.

Apparently the 90 day deferment is a gimme (since anyone who gets 0/48 can receive it when qualifying) and has nothing to do with the education rebate. So if I was eligible for the college grad rebate promotion that explicitly states "180 days deferred payment PLUS $400 cash back" and does not indicate anywhere an exclusion when obtaining 0%/48 month financing, why then do I only receive the $400 but not the full 180 days? To be precise, the promotion states the following referring to the 180 days deferred payment:

"Payment deferral not available in PA and limited in MI and DC. Offer not available on lease contracts. Qualified buyers as determined by Mazda American Credit, take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 4/2/01."

To me this is either false advertising or a screw up at the finance center. I did in fact take delivery of the vehicle today with a 90 day deferral and am told the dealer will follow up with MAC but somehow I don't trust what the outcome will be.

Could anyone offer any advice on what I should do at this point? I believe they are in default of promoting something which may have limitations that are not openly specified (if that's even the case - read on).

Incidentally, the finance company or the dealer could not find any documentation indicating that 180 day deferred payments were not honored for the college grad promotion; they only found where it stated that a 90 day max deferment could be taken with the special financing.

And of course, having read messages here on how someone has in fact received both, the whole ordeal tastes even more sour.
    You have the same car that I have! I just wanted to know what color yours is. Mine is Black Mica.
    I will let you know what happens when I call. You at least got 90 days, they only gave me a little over 30. We're both under the same program, yet we each get different time frames for our first payement, neither of which is what its supposed to be. I have a feeling that the screw up is at the dealer, surprise! We'll see what happens. Where in South Jersey are you, I have relatives that live in Egg Harbor Township and Mays Landing.
    - Sorry, forgot to mention color: Sunlight Silver Metallic (wanted black but wasn't available - 6 week wait!)

- I'm down in Cherry Hill area.
  • So I'm not much of a joiner. But my protege enthusiasm prevailed. I zoom around Portland, Oregon in my '99 classic red pro es. Actually, I'm trying to zoom less since my speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago, but it's damn difficult in such a willing sled.
    Hi All -

Here's an update to the situation: as it turns out, the dealer in fact made good on their promise to investigate the matter further and got an answer from Mazda American Credit. It took a phone call from Mazda's corporate HQ to the NorthEast region of AMC to get the final answer (pun intended) and validate the graduate program incentive, thus allowing the 180 deferred payment for a qualified individual, regardless of what financing method was chosen.

IMHO, the deferment really took AMC by surprise by the manufacturer's program (understand that AMC is a separate company altogether) and they simply did not know how to handle it, so AMC went with what they knew: 90 days max allowed. Perhaps a classic case of the left hand not talking to the right (?)

Lessons learned:
    - How useless it was to call the 800 numbers to AMC and Mazda's customer service personnel who, as would be expected, had no clue on how to address / answer the question, who would not up channel the question to a supervisor when asked, and who would advise that my only resolution was to call the other's customer service number.
    - An informed consumer will undoubtedly benefit the most. At no time did my discussions with the dealer reveal the 0% / 48 mos. financing or the graduate rebate program; they only acknowledged it when I brought it up.
    - Persistence and reading the fine print certainly pays off. Thanks to the information gained on the Internet, particularly the manufacturer's web site and more importantly Edmunds', I was able to purchase a new vehicle for the first time in my life (6 total) armed with the knowledge to get the absolute best deal possible. Thanks to Edmunds for the outstanding service they provide!

Time to "zoom zoom"!

Regards,
    Dave
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Posts: 398
    My name's Steve and live in Pitino's future home town, Louisville, Ky. I'm 47 and zoom on occassion. Got a 2k ES 5 sp. Love it.
    Dave et al,

Last night when I arrived home from work I found a bill from Mazda Credit for my first car payment, due on the March 29. Just like the dealer finance guy said. Not sure what happened to the 180 days. Based on your experience I should be able to get the 180 days, but I've got the money to start paying it off now, and since there is 0% interest it really makes no difference, I'd just have the car paid off six months sooner. So should I just pay it, or fight for the principle of not getting the full deal. Thoughts? BTW, my bill had the number for Mazda Credit customer service. I might give them a call, they could probably help more than the standard Mazda CS. They also probably have record that I qualified for the student rebate. Also, refresh my memory, whats AMC?

Best Regards,

Steve
This discussion has been closed.