Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2015 Subaru Outback

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    edited January 11

Exactly. Feeling different does not necessarily translate into feeling bad. I find the Subaru CVTs to be very smooth, and I really like the CVT in the Forester XT.

The new 2015 WRX's optional CVT has been given high praise by the automotive press. Yeah, there are some non-believers, but overall it's been given a solid "thumbs up," especially in Sport # mode. It's closely related to the Forester XT's CVT. One difference is in the Forester XT, the SI-Drive defaults to the Intelligent mode when you start the car. On the WRX it defaults to the Sport mode, which accounts as to why the WRX CVT gets a lower EPA mileage rating.

Bob

• imaginaryimaginary Posts: 58
    edited January 12

@rsholland said: Exactly. Feeling different does not necessarily translate into feeling bad. I find the Subaru CVTs to be very smooth, and I really like the CVT in the Forester XT.

The new 2015 WRX's optional CVT has been given high praise by the automotive press. Yeah, there are some non-believers, but overall it's been given a solid "thumbs up," especially in Sport # mode. It's closely related to the Forester XT's CVT. One difference is in the Forester XT, the SI-Drive defaults to the Intelligent mode when you start the car. On the WRX it defaults to the Sport mode, which accounts as to why the WRX CVT gets a lower EPA mileage rating.

Bob

Those "non-believers" are stubborn and ignorant enthusiasts who also refuse to believe the GT-R's DCT will always do a better job than any driver as far as perfect shifting given the performance and engine of the GT-R. They also want to completely ignore the fact that the WRX will come with a manual because they've got their panties in a bunch since the WRX has an almost on-par automatic transmission to the manual.

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,890

Well... I've driven a GT-R. I guess if you track your cars, you might care about how much quicker the shifts are.. But, for a street car? After about 5 minutes, I quit using the paddle shifters and just put it in automatic. I had a lot more fun driving a Vette Z06.

I like a manual transmission, even if it means I'm slower, stubborn and/or ignorant. ;-)

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268

@kyfdx

Same here. I definitely prefer manual. That said though, I'm not going to give other transmission types a bad rap just because they aren't the transmission I prefer. I consider them for what they are. When it comes time to buy, though... if it doesn't have a manual, it's not on the list. :p

• pennypaupennypau Posts: 3

Get rid of those awful headrests and replace with what they have in the new Forester. Powerlift gate, bigger moonroof, and make it more fun to drive. My issue...the Forester has everything I want, but the Outback has everything I need, so I am holding out and hoping...Also, fix the oil problem that a number of owners are reporting. Having to add oil to your car every month should not be considered regular maintenance.

and make the interior plastic softer to the feel.

get rid of saddlebrown (ugly) and the tacky "wood" trim.

@pennypau said: get rid of saddlebrown (ugly) and the tacky "wood" trim.

On the special appearance package, you mean? That's really a "halo" package, meaning nearly all of these cars don't have that package and there's no reason to get it unless you want to get it. That said, the "plood" on these cars has always looked tacky (yes, get rid of it!). The saddle brown is gorgeous. Make those things available on something other than the Outback, or maybe with a manual transmission!

• gjksn963gjksn963 Posts: 5

Seats that both heat AND cool.

• imaginaryimaginary Posts: 58
    edited January 20

@kyfdx@Edmunds said: Well... I've driven a GT-R. I guess if you track your cars, you might care about how much quicker the shifts are.. But, for a street car? After about 5 minutes, I quit using the paddle shifters and just put it in automatic. I had a lot more fun driving a Vette Z06.

I like a manual transmission, even if it means I'm slower, stubborn and/or ignorant. ;-)

Driving a GT-R and owning a GT-R are two different things. That's kind of the point of an "automatic"; if you had to use the paddle shifters 24/7 outside of the track, why would it be an automatic then? You get on the paddle shifters because you want to control the transmission at that moment, on the track or on the streets.

If someone bought a GT-R only to use the paddle shifters at all times instead of letting the DCT do what it does best, you're one of a kind.

On the streets are you really trying to shift your way through the gears in a GT-R instead of letting the transmission do what an automatic does? I mean, if you're the kind of person who steps into a GT-R (from a car enthusiast/review/news/whatever website) only to shift using the paddle shifters on the streets of all places, what were you expecting when driving a ~$100k performance car on the streets?

You're not the same kind of person that finds absolute joy in rowing through gears 24/7/365 in stop and go traffic, are you? Because I can understand having "more fun driving a Vette Z06" but not in stop and go traffic. That's kind of an insult to the history of Corvettes.

We have Outbacks and WRX with trims that offer a CVT transmission for that kind of stop and go traffic. And EyeSight nonetheless. ;D

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,890

I drive 100% of the time on the street, and I drive a stick. I guess that's my point... Driving an automatic every day is boring, no matter how good it is. We have an Infiniti with 328 HP and it's a big snoozefest (even with paddle shifters... lol).

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• 2015 Subaru Outback Wishlist

• IMPROVED EYESIGHT SYSTEM.
    • LANE DEPARTURE PREVENTION SYSTEM.
    • Driver seat 2-position memory.
    • Rear hatch power lift.
    • Autodimming side rear-view mirrors.
    • Autodimming rear-view mirror & compass.
    • Passenger 4-way power seating.
    • Driver knee airbag.
    • 18'' Alloy wheels for better handling.

2015 Subaru Outback Dreamlist

• Faster & more responsive navigation system.
    • 2.0-liter DOHC Turbo Boxer engine.
    • Blindspot warning system.
    • Panoramic moonroof.
    • Rain sensing windshield wipers.

@ranjitbhaskar said:

2015 Subaru Outback Wishlist

• IMPROVED EYESIGHT SYSTEM.
    • LANE DEPARTURE PREVENTION SYSTEM.
    • Driver seat 2-position memory.
    • Rear hatch power lift.
    • Autodimming side rear-view mirrors.
    • Autodimming rear-view mirror & compass.
    • Passenger 4-way power seating.
    • Driver knee airbag.
    • 18'' Alloy wheels for better handling.

2015 Subaru Outback Dreamlist

• Faster & more responsive navigation system.
    • 2.0-liter DOHC Turbo Boxer engine.
    • Blindspot warning system.
    • Panoramic moonroof.
    • Rain sensing windshield wipers.

The spy photos I've seen show 18" tires and memory seats. Most likely they were top trim models.

Bob

• @rsholland said: Bob The spy photos I've seen show 18" tires and memory seats. Most likely they were top trim > models.

I looked up the spy pics, and you are right! I sure hope they release the revamped eyesight system. I read they have a 40% increase in the angle of vision as well as range. In addition, the cameras now have color vision. Subaru is the only car manufacturer that'll be able to detect traffic lights, and brake lights of cars in front for collision avoidance!

I'm impatiently waiting for the 2015 model to come to the showroom to buy an Outback!

JUST SAY "NO" TO NANNIES!!!

I think the ship has long since sailed on the Outback (and the Legacy) when it comes to these having any pretenses of being performance cars. Perhaps a detuned turbo FB engine to replace the H6... increased FE without sacrificing torque.

I'd like to see Subaru offering heated steering wheels. In addition to the auto-dimming sideview mirrors you mentioned, this would be such a practical and useful addition.

edited January 22

@xwesx said: JUST SAY "NO" TO NANNIES!!!

I think the ship has long since sailed on the Outback (and the Legacy) when it comes to these having any pretenses of being performance cars. Perhaps a detuned turbo FB engine to replace the H6... increased FE without sacrificing torque.

I'd like to see Subaru offering heated steering wheels. In addition to the auto-dimming sideview mirrors you mentioned, this would be such a practical and useful addition.

I agree about the Legacy and Outback about not being performance cars. The new WRX fills that roll.

Heated steering wheels are great and should be part of the AWP. They're starting to filter down to mainstream brands. My daughter's '13 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport has that feature. I drove it last week and enjoyed that feature.

Bob

• ushy66ushy66 Posts: 126

Looking to Chicago or NYC Auto Shows for 2015 Outback Reveal

@ushy66 said: Looking to Chicago or NYC Auto Shows for 2015 Outback Reveal

Most likely NY. That's always been a big show for Subaru.

Bob

• I agree the hard plastics are a bit of a letdown, but #1 on my list would be a decent heater. I test-drove a 2014 Outback Premium, and I would rate the heater performance as less than mediocre. There's lots of complaints on the internet about the poor heater. For a car that goes through winter activities, I don't understand it at all.

Hopefully, the 2015 will be better!

@theshield44 said: I agree the hard plastics are a bit of a letdown, but #1 on my list would be a decent heater. I test-drove a 2014 Outback Premium, and I would rate the heater performance as less than mediocre. There's lots of complaints on the internet about the poor heater. For a car that goes through winter activities, I don't understand it at all.

Hopefully, the 2015 will be better!

I can't speak to the Outback's heater, but the heaters in my '09 WRX and '13 Forester are fine. Never had an issue about a lack of heat in either vehicle. The WRX has auto climate control and the Forester manual control. I would assume the Outback uses a similar system. Plus both cars have heated seats too.

Bob