Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 BMW 4-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• talla2xtalla2x Posts: 1
    edited August 14

Hello all!

Trying to figure out whether or not to lease this beast of a 2014 428i x drive convertible!

Alpine White Sport package (18 inch wheels, red trim, sport seats etc) Premium Package Cold Weather Package Navigation system

Originally quoted $617 a month. Did some negotiating with the dealer and in order to get my payment under $600 a month we looked into MSD and $800 cap cost reduction. Not sure what cap cost reduction is?

MSRP on the car is $59050 with a sale price of $54916. 36 months 10k a year 63% Residual MF .00081

At Delivery: 1st month Security deposit $4200 Bank fee with taxes $975.55 Tags $255.65 Cash down w/ tax: $872

With PA tax $592.76 a month

Yay or nay?

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 6,372

@tjacob86 said: signed lease 428xi imperial blue +sport line+ premium + cold+ navi + drive assist with rear view = msrp 52150. I got it at $57,$$$ - at invoice, i forgot to get the buy price- MF .0013, Residual 60%, Monthly 561$. Total upfront taxes and fees including 1st month payment 3580$. 3years place and reg - 313.30+doc fee 299+ bankfee 725, nj taxes 1485, tire tax 6$+ supplemental tax few dollars(over $45,000. = 3019. used 1000$ un4getable incentive. let me know what you think was this a rock bottom deal? - Tony

I'm assuming you meant $47,xxx as the selling price. Base MF, good discount from sticker. What's not to like?

Enjoy your new BMW - and use the link in my signature block to write a review when you are ready.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

@talla2x said: Hello all!

Trying to figure out whether or not to lease this beast of a 2014 428i x drive convertible!

Alpine White Sport package (18 inch wheels, red trim, sport seats etc) Premium Package Cold Weather Package Navigation system

Originally quoted $617 a month. Did some negotiating with the dealer and in order to get my payment under $600 a month we looked into MSD and $800 cap cost reduction. Not sure what cap cost reduction is?

MSRP on the car is $59050 with a sale price of $54916. 36 months 10k a year 63% Residual MF .00081

At Delivery: 1st month Security deposit $4200 Bank fee with taxes $975.55 Tags $255.65 Cash down w/ tax: $872

With PA tax $592.76 a month

Yay or nay?

Base MF with MSD - good.

7% discount from sticker - good.

I get a pre-tax payment of $566.68.

Looks like a solid deal.

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• luvbav86luvbav86 Posts: 22

Hi All, first time leaser and new to the forum. Currently own a 2009 335xi, looking to lease a 428xi coupe...

Is this a good time to look into leases? What's the MF/residual looking on 36 mo/15k miles right now? MSRP online is coming to about $50k, i'll shop around for a good discount off sticker but wondering what my monthly will come to with these terms... I can probably calculate it myself, just need to know base MF and residual being offered right now.... am also willing to add in max MSDs to get my payment lower...

Thanks for the help!

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,827

@luvbav86 said: Hi All, first time leaser and new to the forum. Currently own a 2009 335xi, looking to lease a 428xi coupe...

Is this a good time to look into leases? What's the MF/residual looking on 36 mo/15k miles right now? MSRP online is coming to about $50k, i'll shop around for a good discount off sticker but wondering what my monthly will come to with these terms... I can probably calculate it myself, just need to know base MF and residual being offered right now.... am also willing to add in max MSDs to get my payment lower...

Thanks for the help!

.00130 MF and 60% residual. $1000 build out cash.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Thanks a ton... I am emailing to dealers around NY/NJ/CT to see what kind of sale price they can give off MSRP.... figured it saves a ton of visits.

So the $1k should be common across the dealers, then the deciding factor is how much more a dealer is willing to slash? (Assuming MF and residual is the same )

@luvbav86 said: Thanks a ton... I am emailing to dealers around NY/NJ/CT to see what kind of sale price they can give off MSRP.... figured it saves a ton of visits.

So the $1k should be common across the dealers, then the deciding factor is how much more a dealer is willing to slash? (Assuming MF and residual is the same )

You've got to be vigilant .. some dealers may give more off sticker, but inflate the MF to compensate. You want a great discount and the base MF of .00130, in addition to the $1K.

Thanks....that's a good point.... is there a general rule of thumb on here that you folks use in terms of a % discount off MSRP that is bad vs good vs great?

• konacougkonacoug Kailua-KonaPosts: 194

You should also sign up the Ultimate Drive event, you will get a voucher or code for an additional $1000 off, pure savings for you. This is an excellent time to buy/lease 2014 models, as the 2015's are now in production. It is always best to work from invoice vs. MSRP. Also, what options are you looking for, you should have an idea of what you want in your car. You should make sure to request complete itemization of all the lease costs. I would also put in the email, you are only interested in the base money factor and acquisition fee, that way you are comparing apples to apples.

@luvbav86 said: Thanks....that's a good point.... is there a general rule of thumb on here that you folks use in terms of a % discount off MSRP that is bad vs good vs great?

I would say that the published invoice price is a good target, before incentives are factored in.

• chickenmagnetchickenmagnet Posts: 1
    edited August 16

This is my first post but I did a ton of research on this site for multiple cars: GS, S4, 535d, 428i/35i and so on.

I sort of timed this deal right, but with out ALL the information here they would have charged almost double the payment with MF and residual.

I am in Colorado. I bought car in Denver. car was cpo BUT never titled so could be sold as new $46,905 price $725 Aq fee (they tried $925) $285 Ding ins (I drive a lot in bad weather, sort of regretting it but I'm still okay with it) $115 key replacement $499 Dealer Handling

.0008 with 7 MSDs $4096 out the door MSD's, first payment, and sales use tax. $501.76 a month 36/10

The residual was the full amount less the current mileage depreciation, but I negotiated that part back a bit.

The Car: 2014 435ix Black, Nav, Leather, heated seats. I couldn't even get a 428i with same options, for that price.

Thanks so much for the info. The first payments they tried were $830 with $1000 cap reduction. If I hadn't done the research I may have negotiated it to $600 where I wanted to be. I can't thank you all enough: Michaell and KYFDX. Audi is still trying to get me in on an S4 with 5k down and $650 a month... I am really happy with this BMW deal and the dealer was great.

Congrats on the new car!

• tjacob86tjacob86 Posts: 12

so i signed for the 428xi GC, tire and rim options $1695 Careguard 3 yr $4000 cap, tires, bubbles windshield, and protection from dings and dents. OR BMW standard 1900 tire and wheel unlimited(nocap)- . Is it cheaper buying tires(runflats) these days and doing it urself(another tire store)? -thoughts..

• napolean82napolean82 Posts: 1
    edited August 18

First post but used the site extensively for my research so sharing my deal to help others shopping. 2014 428i MSRP $48110 Selling $42680 Residual 62% (36m/12k) MF .00081 (7 MSD) Drive off: Reg+Acq(725)+First month+7MSD (3150) $4880 Monthly (including 8% California tax) $449

Dealer was great. Did all the work over email and in and out of dealership in less than an hour

@tjacob86 said: so i signed for the 428xi GC, tire and rim options $1695 Careguard 3 yr $4000 cap, tires, bubbles windshield, and protection from dings and dents. OR BMW standard 1900 tire and wheel unlimited(nocap)- . Is it cheaper buying tires(runflats) these days and doing it urself(another tire store)? -thoughts.. The tire and wheel insurance is a rip off , as well as the rest of the stuff. If they are selling it, it is for profit to them, not some great deal for you. You can insure your tires at Discount Tire for about $25 per tire. Most good auto insurance has no deductible windshield replacement. As far as the ding and dent insurance, from what I have heard it is very limited. BMW can not charge you for any dings smaller than a credit card. BTW, I was offered the tire insurance for $995, finance guy got pissed when I told him no to everything.

@napolean82 said: First post but used the site extensively for my research so sharing my deal to help others shopping. 2014 428i MSRP $48110 Selling $42680 Residual 62% (36m/12k) MF .00081 (7 MSD) Drive off: Reg+Acq(725)+First month+7MSD (3150) $4880 Monthly (including 8% California tax) $449

Dealer was great. Did all the work over email and in and out of dealership in less than an hour

Wow.....how did you get so much off MSRP? That's a great deal...

Thanks a ton guys. Just got off the phone with a NJ dealer and did what everyone suggested, I negotiated from an invoice price vs. MSRP. Can you guys take a look and let me know if i'd be getting a great deal? Thanks!

428i xdrive coupe MSRP $52,500 sale price $48,400 MF .00081 (7 MSD) residual 60% (36mo/15k mi)

I think it should come to about $550/month

Thanks!

@luvbav86 said: Thanks a ton guys. Just got off the phone with a NJ dealer and did what everyone suggested, I negotiated from an invoice price vs. MSRP. Can you guys take a look and let me know if i'd be getting a great deal? Thanks!

428i xdrive coupe MSRP $52,500 sale price $48,400 MF .00081 (7 MSD) residual 60% (36mo/15k mi)

I think it should come to about $550/month

Thanks!

With your numbers, I get a pre-tax payment of $534.16/mo. NJ calculates the sales tax for the entire lease up front - you can either pay it at lease inception or have it added to the sale price.

The MSDs certainly help.

@Michaell said:

Thanks! But do you think the sale price is a good deal? About 8.5% off MSRP.

or should I push for more of a discount? not sure what invoice is, i'm assuming i'm close to invoice right now at 48.4k

@luvbav86 said: or should I push for more of a discount? not sure what invoice is, i'm assuming i'm close to invoice right now at 48.4k

8% off sticker is pretty good from where I sit.

• samosonsamoson Posts: 5

Not sure which discussion i should be in but I chose this one since I am looking to lease BMW. What are the advantages or disadvantages of finding a particular car on one dealers lot and trying to buy said car through another dealership? I found a 328i and do not want to deal with the dealership because of a bad experience. So can i got to dealer "down the road" and negotiate and buy through them?

@samoson said: Not sure which discussion i should be in but I chose this one since I am looking to lease BMW. What are the advantages or disadvantages of finding a particular car on one dealers lot and trying to buy said car through another dealership? I found a 328i and do not want to deal with the dealership because of a bad experience. So can i got to dealer "down the road" and negotiate and buy through them?

Dealers can trade cars with one another, but if the car you are interested in is the only one in the area, you may find it difficult to have a dealer trade with the "owning" dealer for it.

@konacoug said: The tire and wheel insurance is a rip off , as well as the rest of the stuff. If they are selling it, it is for profit to them, not some great deal for you. You can insure your tires at Discount Tire for about $25 per tire. Most good auto insurance has no deductible windshield replacement. As far as the ding and dent insurance, from what I have heard it is very limited. BMW can not charge you for any dings smaller than a credit card. BTW, I was offered the tire insurance for $995, finance guy got pissed when I told him no to everything.

Why would u not take it for that low 995$, isnt it 400-500 to replace a run flat? and if so. dont eventually have to replace the tires due to wearing down the tread? not sensible to take if they give it for 1000?

The tire insurance won't pay for wearing out your tires. If you wear out your tires, you have to replace them.

@tjacob86 said: Why would u not take it for that low 995$, isnt it 400-500 to replace a run flat? and if so. dont eventually have to replace the tires due to wearing down the tread? not sensible to take if they give it for 1000?

Because, the tire insurance is only good for damage, not for wearing down the tread. A run flat should be about only $300 dollars, if you shop around. I live in Hawaii, the roads are fine, I have a 15 mile a day commute. But, when I live in the Phoenix valley, I had the older run flats, I did get a screw in the tire and it was fixed at Discount tire for $10.

Unfortunately, the finance guy is there to make a commission of the products he/she sells. They use ridiculous tactics trying to peddle their products. They act like the car is going to fall apart around you....

I live in NY/NJ area and we have tons of potholes. especially this last winter went through 2 run flats on my audi. Can someone tell me if it is truly 300$ around this area to replace a runflat?

• First time posting however I have been using this forum as a learning tool for a while and I appreciate the advice that is given by everyone here. Curious if this is a good deal on 2014 428I Xdrive. 36/12,000miles MSRP: $49,915 Sale price including an X-drive incentive of $1,000: $45,980 (acquisition fee included in price and I think its $725) 62% residual, .0015MF. Monthly payment of $620.86 with no MSD's and ZERO down (1st month due at signing) also tax of 8% is included in monthly payment. Thanks in advance!!

@doublebhere said: First time posting however I have been using this forum as a learning tool for a while and I appreciate the advice that is given by everyone here. Curious if this is a good deal on 2014 428I Xdrive. 36/12,000miles MSRP: $49,915 Sale price including an X-drive incentive of $1,000: $45,980 (acquisition fee included in price and I think its $725) 62% residual, .0015MF. Monthly payment of $620.86 with no MSD's and ZERO down (1st month due at signing) also tax of 8% is included in monthly payment. Thanks in advance!!

Using your numbers, I get a pre-tax payment of $532.97/mo. 8% tax takes the payment to $575.60.

I'd ask the dealer to run through the numbers again - they might need to sharpen their pencil a bit.

It should be noted that the MF is being inflated - .00130 is the base.

• Besides the MF being inflated what else could they be adding on to inflate the price? Any suggestions as to how I figure out why the inflated payment?