Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014 BMW 2-Series

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
edited May 12 in BMW
New model for 2014 - talk about it here.
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/2-series/2014/?sub=coupe

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,550
    Thanks - the M235i is on my radar
    for my next purchase...
    - Ray
    Always looking!
    edited December 2013

Based on the Order Guide & Price Guide, this is my config.

Base $43,100

Metallic paint [ red, blue ? ] 550

ZCW Cold Weather Package $ 550

ZPP Premium Package $ 2,300

Dest & handling \ Delivery $ 925

Total = $47,425

• Ray

Hoping to see one at a dealer soon...

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490

Just "pre-ordered" my M235i today. Mineral gray exterior.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,827

Nice..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• sidnigansidnigan Posts: 2

Comes with LSD or is that an option on the M235i?

From the BMW release info: 'The BMW M Performance limited-slip differential will be available as an accessory for the M235i Coupe.'

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,673

I'll wait to drive one. I hope the steering is substantially improved over the F30.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

3500 lbs is fairly heavy- about what my E24 M6 weighed. And no optional limited slip? Moronic; it was an option on my Club Sport and standard on my MS3. Even the latest GTI has one. A Z4 M Coupe or CPO Cayman S looks better all the time...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,261

3500 lbs is a bit of a porker--that's heavier than a 1965 Chevy Impala! But I don't think most drivers will miss an LSD do you?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

edited January 19

I'll miss an LSD, and more than a few will see the track- where lack of the proper diff will be a major hindrance. For years BMW offered an LSD across their model range- why can't they do it now? It's not like the an LSD requires additional safety or emission testing/certification. Mazda and VW do it- either offering it or making it standard on cars that cost less than $30k. How much trouble would it be to at least make it an option on top of the range Bimmers?

Well you know German engineers--I'm sure they have a complicated answer for this. But really, unless you're doing autocross, not having an LSD is fine for street driving. Still, you'd think for a car in the mid-$40K range......

edited January 20

My view of the M235i, as of today:

Weight –

It appears likely to be a weight comparable to the 335iS that I leased in 2011, though I have seen no independent verification of a US spec. weight. Having recently driven a 3,500+ pound BMW for close to 30,000 miles, and given the size, level of performance & equipment – I personally have no issue with the weight.

Price –

2011 335iS - $53.5K with 7-speed auto \ DCT

2014 M235i - $44.0K with 8-speed ZF sport automatic

[ Edit: I initially reversed these 2 - oops ]

Performance –

It appears that the acceleration will be slightly better than that 335iS. With the tires & suspension specified, I expect that it will handle & ride incrementally better.

Size –

It appears to have enough interior and luggage room – for me.

Efficiency –

The EPA city MPG rating is 30% better than the 335iS.

The EPA highway MPG rating is 33% better.

In fact, the M235i highway number is 1 less than the VW GTI that I now drive.

Initial published reviews [ based on track & street driving in & around Vegas ] have been quite positive.

So – pending instrumented tests verifying the above – and my own test drive, the M235i is high on my ‘short list’ of contenders for my $s, next time around.

YMMV.

• Ray

Likely very late this year, or early 2015.

Edmunds has now published their 'first drive' review...

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/2-series/2014/road-test.html

If the steering is as dull and lifeless as the F30's rack, I'm not interested.

edited February 28

Since I can not figure out how to place a link to another post, this is a copy of what I posed on the CCBA forum...

My BMW M235i test drive – first one available to drive here near Atlanta. [ Will probably drive another one within the next week or so. ]

Equip. = ZF A8 automatic, Blue over black, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg & heated seats. MSRP = $49,525 Not cheap, of course, but comparably equipped it would be several thousand less than the list price of the 2011 335iS I had.

Very quick. Feels about as quick as I remember the 335iS to be. [ R&T test numbers bear this out. ] Sounds great. It is quieter in Normal Mode than the 335iS was, though that distinct, straight 6 cylinder sound is clear & obvious - but not intrusive. The gearing [ 80 MPH in top gear = approx. 2,000 RPM ] means any engine & exhaust noise fades away completely at highway speeds. [ This also likely contributes to that EPA Highway rating of 32 MPG. Much better that the 335iS with DCT. ]

Comfortable and supportive front seats. I had no issues with the interior materials, fit or finish. Overall, the interior is much like the 335iS I had – nothing jarring there, to me.

I like the looks of the exterior. Styling is largely subjective, of course, but I just never warmed up to the 135.

The ride and handling compromise with the non-runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sports is excellent, as one would expect. Firm ride, certainly, but reasonably compliant. Ultimate handling capability is impossible to explore on a 10 minute test drive on public roads – I leave that to the automotive journalists and professional test drivers. [ Closed course, etc. ] 18” 225/40 fronts & 245/35 series rears. It looks to me like a spare wheel and tire would largely fill the trunk. I wonder is one would fit behind the passenger seat? [ Shrink wrapped, of course. ]

The automatic is excellent, in normal mode. I really like the fact that the paddles are always active. I use them a lot, for both up and down shifts – often just for fun. Shifts were quick & smooth, with no slop. I will try Sport \ Sport+ Modes at some point.

The steering was certainly OK to me. Though now electric, again, it felt very much as I remember the 335iS. No problems here for me.

Gripes = minor:
    I would prefer a slightly larger fuel tank – only 13.7 gal - really? 12 gal [ leaving a reasonable reserve ] times 30 MPG = 360 miles range. OK, I guess. I would prefer the option of a spare tire & wheel – and a place to put it. That is about it.

Unless something changes drastically in the automotive world over the next 12 months [ or I win the lottery ] I think this will likely be my next purchase.

Cheers,

• Ray

Back to BMW??

Ray..

The link is in the time stamp (or date stamp, if it's an older post)

Ah - thanks you!

[ Not obvious to the uninformed... ]

@rayainsw said: Ah - thanks you!

[ Not obvious to the uninformed... ]

Not obvious to anyone.. lol

@rayainsw said: Since I can not figure out how to place a link to another post, this is a copy of what I posed on the CCBA forum...

My BMW M235i test drive – first one available to drive here near Atlanta. [ Will probably drive another one within the next week or so. ]

Equip. = ZF A8 automatic, Blue over black, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg & heated seats. MSRP = $49,525 Not cheap, of course, but comparably equipped it would be several thousand less than the list price of the 2011 335iS I had.

Very quick. Feels about as quick as I remember the 335iS to be. [ R&T test numbers bear this out. ] Sounds great. It is quieter in Normal Mode than the 335iS was, though that distinct, straight 6 cylinder sound is clear & obvious - but not intrusive. The gearing [ 80 MPH in top gear = approx. 2,000 RPM ] means any engine & exhaust noise fades away completely at highway speeds. [ This also likely contributes to that EPA Highway rating of 32 MPG. Much better that the 335iS with DCT. ] Comfortable and supportive front seats. I had no issues with the interior materials, fit or finish. Overall, the interior is much like the 335iS I had – nothing jarring there, to me.

I like the looks of the exterior. Styling is largely subjective, of course, but I just never warmed up to the 135.

The ride and handling compromise with the non-runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sports is excellent, as one would expect. Firm ride, certainly, but reasonably compliant. Ultimate handling capability is impossible to explore on a 10 minute test drive on public roads – I leave that to the automotive journalists and professional test drivers. [ Closed course, etc. ] 18” 225/40 fronts & 245/35 series rears. It looks to me like a spare wheel and tire would largely fill the trunk. I wonder is one would fit behind the passenger seat? [ Shrink wrapped, of course. ]

The automatic is excellent, in normal mode. I really like the fact that the paddles are always active. I use them a lot, for both up and down shifts – often just for fun. Shifts were quick & smooth, with no slop. I will try Sport \ Sport+ Modes at some point.

The steering was certainly OK to me. Though now electric, again, it felt very much as I remember the 335iS. No problems here for me.

Gripes = minor:
    I would prefer a slightly larger fuel tank – only 13.7 gal - really? 12 gal [ leaving a reasonable reserve ] times 30 MPG = 360 miles range. OK, I guess. I would prefer the option of a spare tire & wheel – and a place to put it. That is about it.

Unless something changes drastically in the automotive world over the next 12 months [ or I win the lottery ] I think this will likely be my next purchase.

Cheers,

• Ray

Back to BMW??

Sounds like the same exact vehicle my dealer received last week. I have a M235i already on order, but I did a quick test drive and liked how the car felt.

The dealership also received a couple of 228's, a white one with tan interior and a red one with black insides.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get a lot of enjoyment out of the car when it finally arrives...

busiris - When is it due?

Please report here once you have driven it a while?

Thanks,

• Ray

Excited for you . . .

As I understand it, BMW issues its next (2nd) 2-Series order allotment in early March. The 1st allotment was pretty much used up by BMW getting cars out to the entire dealership base.

I was told that I'm at the top (#1) for the dealership's 2nd allotment, and to expect delivery in May.

I'll report back as the order progresses through the system...

Just click on EVERYTHING.

I'm scheduled for delivery of my 235 on May 28 at the Performance Center. Should be an excellent day!

Nice!

Please post impressions here?

• Ray

Waiting now....

On the BMWUSA site I just saw that a "Moonroof Deletion" option has been added. Good show, Munich- now just make the LSD a factory installed option...

• kabbalahkabbalah Posts: 41

I leased a loaded M235. Traded in 2010 135 drop top. Paid full sticker $51350 on a 3 year lease.

Mineral white/coral red
    Drivers assistance pkg Premium pkg Technology pkg Heated front seats harmon kardon premium sound