Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Basic Maintenance Questions

1515253545557»

Comments

• i tried the clutch pumping and it worked like a charm. didn't even have probs going right into 4th the next time...
  • Okay...so you might have a pressure problem in the hydraulic clutch system. Might be time to check the hydraulic fluid level, and/or bleed the system, and look for leaks. Some hydraulic clutches also have small adjustment capabilities.
  • P5 Driver's side seat belt latch has broken.

If anyone has replaced one "do-it-yourself" style, I could use some step-by-step instructions.

Thanks.
    O15
  • Ok, I have a question son came home said could smell gas went out and I could to smell gas. So I backed up the car and the pavement is wet with a rainbow effect on ground under car. Dose not leak when car is off but start it up and leaks bad. It is in the front of the car about middle way in from the driver side tire. :sick: What could be wrong and how much is it going to cost to fix? Anybody else have this problem?
    Any advice would be helpful.
    thanks
    Peanutbrittle
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    Clearly you have a fuel leak. Do not start the car or try to start the car under any circumstance. You could risk a fire or even an explosion. Call a tow truck and have it towed to a service garage. It probably won't be expensive to fix.
  • I am looking to replace the fuel pump on my 2000 mazda protege Lx. Can anyone tell me exactly where it is located on the car or how to access it? I have a feeling it may be located on the top side of the fuel tank, but I'd rather not have to drop the tank if it isn't necessary. Also, if anyone could let me know if there are typically any additional parts needed when changing a fuel pump, I'd appreciate it!
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Can anyone tell me exactly where it is located on the car ... if there are typically any additional parts needed

Sounds like you might benefit from the manual ... you might check your local library for the Haynes manual for the car. There used to be an online version but unfortunately it has disappeared.
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    I can't say for sure either but they are usually in the bottom of the fuel tank where the gasoline keeps them cool.
  • soryeyesoryeye Posts: 1
    My Mazda Protege speed5 is runnig 5miles per gallon, any idea what can I do? whats wrong.
    Appreciated your comments
    Mazda Protege speed5 is runnig 5miles per gallon
    Yikes! Are there any other symptoms?
  • When I first start my car in the morning, there is a delayed shift from neutral to drive. If you shift, the car takes a few seconds (longer since its getting colder, or when its damp), then kicks into drive. Most times the o/d light flashes twice then goes out, or continues to flash. If you turn the car off and restart, it isn't as delayed and shifts fine. The o/d light won't flash at all when restarted or will flash twice then go out and driving is normal. It doesn't do it any more during the day (no delayed shift, and no o/d flashing) and shifts normally for high speed driving. Have 99200 miles on it and had the tran fluid changed at proper interval. Didn't start having this problem until a couple months after fluid was changed and then it wasn't every time. Now its every time, which worries me. One dealer said I may need a new trans, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. This morning was the first time that the delay was ridiculously long and almost seemed like it wasn't going to shift in to drive. Suggestions?
    Have 99200 miles on it and had the tran fluid changed at proper interval. Didn't start having this problem until a couple months after fluid was changed and then it wasn't every time.
    Was this the first time the transmission fluid was changed?
  • alindell220alindell220 Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    i have a fuel leak and it seems to be coming from the top of the tank. I'm not sure if its the fuel pump but there is a lot of rust all over my car. i tried apoxy to seal what looked like the problem... didnt work. i am thinking of doing this myself if possible. any advice on my 2002 mazda protege es? how hard is it?
    :confuse: