Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Here's a pic that will give you an idea of where to put the Fuelmax:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/maltbarley?d&.flabel=fld9&.intl=us&.src=ph&start=1

Click on the pic to enlarge.

Quite a link eh?

:)

• speedyptspeedypt Posts: 200
    Thanks man! I still have more plans for it. I'll post as I do them!

Regards,

Pete
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    so conheady, do your corner lamps fit just as tight as those posted by speedypt? I thought you said there were some gaps after you installed them.

If they indeed fit the same, then I'm in a big dilemma, paying less for an aftermarket version or get the OEM version for more than 2x the cost... dang.
  • Thanks for the pic! That really helps out a lot! I'll keep you guys posted on whether or not the FuelMax works.

the_big_h:
    They are pretty tight. They don't move at all once they are in. They are locked into place like the OEM versions. The issue I had was with the left one. It didn't fit as perfectly as the original lamps. Maybe off on the top by 2mm. Nothing noticible at all.

Add into the cost of the lamps the price of two new 1157A orange bulbs ($3.99)
  • 5spd5spd Posts: 38
    I am looking for a set of OEM steel wheels from a 323 or protege. If you have upgraded to alloys and want to sell your steel wheels please e-mail me at buywheels@hotmail.com
  • sfratsfrat Posts: 205
    Hey all,

Been toying with the idea of getting a pair for my new 01 ES, I think they look pretty cool. Anybody else get them already, and if so, where? I've seen a number of people selling them on EBAY, but hesitant to go that route without a positive recommendation. Would rather order directly, and skip the whole bidding BS.

Thanks,

Steve
  • conheadyconheady Posts: 77
    Procarparts has these in stock now. I was thinking about getting them. $210! Anyone think it's worth it?
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    no.. they are played out. they sell Altezza lights at Pepboys by criminy...

and do you REALLY want to be like every other Civic out there? There are Altezzas for Neons. Cavaliers, Chevy Astro Vans, pick-ups, etc... its old and played..

but it is your car, so do what pleases you, but IMO, they are ugly and not worth $210. get Strut bar or something...
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I had a set of those in my 1999 DX I just traded for my 2001 ES 2.0. I liked them, and they were nice and bright too. I bought them from EBay for like $21 or something. But I noticed they don't have good illumination in rain or immediately in front of the car. Of course, the fog lights illumnate the area in front of my 01 ES, so that might not be a problem. I was feeling sorry that I didn't get the bulbs from my DX before I traded it, but don't want blue headlights and regular colored fog lights. And don't know where they sell plasma blue fog lights.

I was thinking about upgrading my stereo system from the factory cassette/CD unit to the 6-disc CD changer. What do you all think?
    Vocus- Thanks for the info. I didn't even think about the color difference between the fogs and blue headlights, you're right it would look kind of stupid to do just one set. Thanks for the info, esp rain performance. Maybe its not such a good idea.

I also was thining about the CD changer, as I had an aftermarket system in my old Audi. I really liked the convienence of the changer, much less of a hassle. I am getting used to using the single disk system, I find it not as convient, but not worth the extra money to upgrade. Plus, I'm under the impression that you can't have changer and tape deck, and I like having the tape even if it doesn't get used that often.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    I wish Mazda offered an 8 trac player. I got a whole box full of 8 trac's in the basement. Nothing like cruising the strip listening to Led Zepplen or Meatloaf with the windows and moon roof open? Or the Eagles, they were the "crush"! "Warm smell of colitas, rising up in the air,... there is plenty of room at the Hotel California". Ahh, the 70's, rock roll and remember! Well I got to go, my wife say's it's time for my medication and a nap. ;-}

-Larry
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    if you want "Eagles" - live with "hotel california" and other great tracks. I have a DVD and made a CD copy of it.

Best CD to be played in my ES till date.

perfect sound.

(this is actually the "last" time the Eagles got together couple of years back..special night)
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Thank you Nick, you are very kind. We need to get together when the weather moderates a little.

-Larry
    I think you can have the in-dash 6-disc CD changer with the cassette player as well. I was trying to find some information about the changer system in the owner's manual, but it's not even listed! Oh well.
    Hmm, interesting. For some reason I thought it was an either or thing. I'm amazed they can cram all that in there. If I were choosing, I would take the changer. Since it already has the single, don't feel the need to go and put the changer in instead. I can't imagine its either. I had a seperate manual, for the stereo. Wasn't all that big, don't recall if there was anything about the changer in there.
    I was reading an Edmund's article on changing air filters, and even they recommend replacing stock paper filters with K&N filters. So I read on and visited K&N's website, and have a few questions that I would appreciate if anyone can answer it for me:

1. at the K&N site they offered 2 varieties of their air filters: a stock replacement filter which only replaces the filter itself but not the box, and another filter kit that replaces the whole stock filter box. Any experience/ideas/comments regarding performance gains using these 2 types of filtering system?

2. This is more toward people that have K&N installed already: Is the improvement in performance noticeable? Any side effects like louder engine noise or extra vibration?

all responses appreciated

H
    the 2 types of filters K&N offers are the stock replacement and the cone filter. the stock is like a regular paper filter and fits just like the one you are replacing. The cone filter is like a cone and its open to the elements. that one allows more air to come in and gives more a more throaty sound. normally though since it is closer to the engine and the heat, it won't give as much power boost as if you were to get a Cold air Intake. this is the same as a cone filter only the placement is farther from the engine (down behind the bumper ina corner usually) and lets more cold air into the engine..
    I bought a stock replacement filter. Cost about $40.
    Once I opened it from the package I just knew that the quality was far better than any paper filter I have used before. the frame is not plastic, but a soft rubber-coated in oil. That means it provides a better seal and will last longer. It was a perfect fit. The filter came in sealed plastic and had a care manual and stickers to place on your car and on the air filter box- (to remind your servicer not to replace the air filter).

After installing I noticed smoother idling and a tad more horsepower (but I'm not sure, because it's so little). Looking at my gas mileage- it went up a bit, since I installed it, but I don't know if that's because it's K&N or because it was time to replace the filter anyways. I just feel better having a K&N filter in my car- so I feel it's more than worth it. Plus it will save you money in the long run because you can recharge them yourself.
    I believe Vocus put one in his last Protege and took it out because his mileage went down. my brother has ne in his car and he likes it..
    I read through the k & n air filter topic discussion board here on Edmund's, and I think the overall consensus is that it won't increase your horsepower/torque by any noticeable amount, if any at all, BUT it should make throttling more responsive and make idling quieter. Can anybody give me a quick explanation on what exactly throttling means?

conheady, where did you buy your filter, online or in a local store? You don't by any chance has the part # for it do you?

I'll probably buy a stock replacement if I can find it in the local store.

thanks

H
    http://knfilters.performanceproducts.com/

You just select your make/model.

They deliver fast and have great customer service.
    Yes, Nike you are right. I had a K&N filter in my 1999 DX when I had it. The mileage dropped by like 2-5 mpg, so I sent it back to K&N. The throaty sound that came with the filter was neat though, and some of it remained even though I had taken out the filter.

CD changer: The CD changer goes in place of the single CD player SFRat. The cassette player goes in the bottom where it normally comes. It's a 6-disc unit like the 626, Millenia, and other Mazda products have. It's more convenient than having to reload CDs in the trunk or under one of the seats. I would like the convenience of putting in 6 discs instead of just one, but I only listen to an average of 3 or so songs on each disc, so it wouldn't make sense for me to install the changer.

Tinted windows: My next project for my 2001 ES 2.0 will be to have the windows tinted. I am going to check out the various levels, and see which one I am comfortable with before I do it.

I just turned the magic 1000-mile mark today, so it's off for an oil change this weekend to remove all those particles from the engine when it was new.
  • borgf15borgf15 Posts: 29
    I was told by a salesman (I guess I just lost credibility right there) that because the stereos on the protege are modular, you can put in that new kenwood mp3 player (from the pro mps) if you want. Does anyone know this to be true? It certainly would be nice, as you can put 10 hrs worth of mp3 music on a single CD, negating the need for the 6 disc changer!
    Stylincompacts.com has strut bars for 1995-2000 Pros. Cheapest I've seen.
    The question is: How difficult is it to install? Does installing strut bars need the removal of wheels or anything?
    Wow, that would be neat if it were true. But, I think the non mp3 protege stereos are made by Pioneer, so I'm not sure whether you could throw a kenwood system in it. Maybe, but I'm skeptical. Of course, I thought you could not have the CD Changer and tape, so shows you how much I know! :-)

Steve
    Saw an ad for this product but can find it in any of my local stores. I'd love to get the green mica tint on my tires! Anyone know a place I can get this on-line?!
    what is this? a colored spray?
  • borgf15borgf15 Posts: 29
    Steve,
    Pioneer, hmmmm... You wouldn't think they would be compatible then. It sure would be nice though!
    Borg
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Mazda has always used various brands of radios in there cars, but over the last few years it has been either FMS or Panasonic(sorry, no pioneers)for the most part. However, I belive the MP3 kenwood has an adapter harness that connects to the standard Mazda radio harness so you would be able to use it in your standard Protege.

:)
    Panasonic/Pioneer! Close. Although I think I remember my seeing that my speakers were Pioneer. That doesn't mean anything of course because the had unit and speaker manufacturers could be different. I'm going to check it out when I get home, and double check myself.

The adapter makes complete sense. BTW, what's FMS? Never heard of them.

Steve
This discussion has been closed.