Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    Someone here sent me a pdf file of install instructions for 02 using the Mazda Pro Performance strut bar. If anyone needs it, if I can find it, I will email it to you.

I guess it's a bit after the fact for some, eh? Sorry.
  • I'm assuming they are flat washers. Flat washers mean they are flat with no ridges right?

Don't mind me, I'm not exactly the person to ask for home hardware advice. :)

As far as it affecting the effectiveness of the tower bar - I don't think so. As long they are not rubber and it's on there pretty snug I don't see what's to lose.

Just my two cents chiming in..
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    need some opinions on which set of Hella Optilux series compact fog lights I should get for my Protege, here are the options I've come down to:

Hella Optilux 1000

Hella Optilux 1200

Hella Optilux 1450

I used Photoshop to add them to my car to try them out. Just want some comments as to which one YOU think looks best. They are on sale at performanceproducts.com and I've heard Hella lights are very good quality.

thanks for any comments
  • reitrofreitrof Posts: 122
    My exhaust is finally in. It should arrive mid week and will be installing it next weekend.

I will also be installing a B&M shifter as well. I will let you know how they turn out.

I am so excited!!

Bruce
  • Anyone know where I can get these other than dealer...can't seem to find them.

Also, anyone heard anything about the turbo charger they are going to offer (true?) and what type of HP improvement are we looking at?

Mike
    Look no further than the MazdaSpeed Protege. MazdaSpeed will offer that for existing 2.0s. 170 hp, 0-60 in about 6.9 seconds.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Posts: 1,007
    In an effort to retain exclusivity (?) for the MazdaSpeed Proteges, and to skirt warranty issues etc Mazda has decided not to currently offer at least the manifolds (right?) unless you provide and confirm that it is a replacement part for a Mazdaspeed protege, and mail the old/damaged part back to them.

If enough of you 2.0l owners make a noise about it, perhaps Mazda'll change their minds!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    No exhaust manifolds unless the dealer needs to replace one on a valid vehicle.

Stupid IMO, as they should be selling these out the back door with no warranty at least.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    exclusivity for MSPs at least for 6-10 months. Then it will be for all. My marketing mind tells me that.
    I agree. Stupid choice. Maybe someone will sell them out the back door anyway.

I apologize for the mis-information.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    i guess great minds think alike chikoo ;-)
    ... you want that exclusive Halloween Orange color (!), that no one else can have, even when (not if?) turbo upgrades are made available in a few months.

Then your only choice is to buy an MSP.
    If you don't already own a Pro, it would be more cost effective to buy an MS Pro than buying a "run of the mill" Pro and upgrading part by part, even if you left a number of the MS Pro's upgrades off - like that ridiculous stereo.

Then again, you'd be able to choose from some better colors.
    car buffs like to build their own car piece by peice rather than going to the market and buying the end product. That is the real market. And mazda will sooner or later cater to that.
    But I too hope they will cater to that. Having more options is good, especially for those of us who already own a 2.0 Pro, want more power, and don't want to take a big hit on depreciation.

Besides, the wife won't notice it bit by bit as much as if the cost were all up front. ;-)
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    not always...

And at this price point, most can't afford a car with better performance so they buy trinkets and try to piecemeal it into a performer as their paychecks allow.

I was a teenager once too...
    most people with lostsa money don't have time to work on their own cars(see exception rule). So they can buy the direct product straight away.

And people with lotsa time on their hands usually have a comfortable job with not-a-lotsa money on their hand. And an idle mind is a devils workshop and he keeps on toying with the idea of making a devil of a car out of his fairy car.

again, the exception rule applies such as People who have inherited lotsa money or striked it rich in the boom era.
    While it is fascinating, and rewarding to upgrade the car's performance yourself, it makes more sense to buy a stock vehicle with all those mods built in and warrantied by the manufacturer. There are so many little things that have gone into the MP3/MSP - suspension, manifolds, turbo itself, different exhaust/intake (I think), LSD (now that has got to be difficult to add on!), stronger transmission/clutch, interior upgrades - steering wheel, shifter, seats, exterior - wheels/tires, body kits, spoiler etc etc.

Sure some of it may look/seem excessive, but to upgrade a base Pro to anything near that level (even if you only concentrate on performance) would be WAY more expensive and very time-consuming!
    Blasphemy!
    (Yes, I know what you mean/were implying, just picking on you there!)
    Does anybody know if the MSP engine is the same 2.0l or does it have a re-enforced bottom end or valve train to handle the turbo?
    the bottom pan, i believe is reinforced.
    Spent about 3 hours installing both of the above. No problems, everything went pretty smooth. Here are my comments:

B&M Shifter: Very nice. I love the short throw and directness of the shifter. I had installed the KartBoy bushing earlier and was amazed with the feel just changing the bushing. Now with the shifter change the shift is just like it was directly into the tranny. I was worried that the shift knob might be too low but it is fine. The shifts are smooth with no balkiness. Effort is a little higher but not much.

Raing Beat: The exhaust looks great. Fits the cutout in the rear bumber perfectly. There were no issues with the install. Fit and finish were great. The sound is a nice low growl, not buzzy like some of the Honda's I hear. You can hear the exhaust inside the car but it is a nice background noise, not intrusive. Took it up to 100 mph, and did not notice any droning like I have heard about the mazdaspeed. Too bad winter is coming, I like driving with the window down!

Bruce
  • I am thinking of installing 215/45/17 or just replacing the stock tires with 205/50/16. How wide do you think I can go with the stock rims?
    The 5 lug 16 inch wheels on the 2001 onwards P5 or Pro ES, I assume (?)

Unfortunately, Mazda went with pretty sknny wheels on those (16x6.0 instead of the more common 16x6.5 or 16x7.0). If you have the 15 inch stock mazda wheels on an older ES/LX, then that is a little thin as well - 15x6.0 instead of the more common 15x6.5

When you look at tires, make sure you refer to the manufacturer's website as well, and see what range of widths a given tire can handle - most manufacturer websites will list that. I imagine you can go with 205 width tires on the 16, but check for yourself, or find out a 'other' places, like protegeclub.com
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    TireRack told me not to go wider than 195 on the stock 16" rims. You can probably do it, but it would definitely affect handling and potentially affect fuel economy.
    both say NO for anything greater than 195.

But I have 205/55 and Jerry had 215 with no problems whatsoever on our '99ES
    This is on an 02 ES - thinking of putting in mp3 shocks, struts, stabilizer bars, springs. Only thing is, the front stabilizer bar is wedged in by the sub-frame. It looks like a real pain to get the old one out and a new one in. Anybody have any experience with this?
  • The salesrep I talked with [Lee @ ext. 238, she's good] said tirerack suggested the original 195/55-15 or 205/50-15 for my '99 es. she admitted that their recommendations are conservative, and that other sizes may fit. I've had no problem with the 205/55-15 s-03 pole positions, though I haven't tried to use tire chains yet.

i would suggest that if you go wider, make sure the tire has excellent hydroplane resistance, since wider rubber is more apt to float on water.