Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    "Thank you for contacting Mazda North American Operations. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you.

I was advised by my Parts Department that the subwoofer is not available as an accessory to your 2003 Mazda Protege5 is the reasoning that I was given. First of all, the vehicle is not wired for the subwoofer and the harness is not compatible on a non-equipped vehicle. Secondly, the trunk boards are different from the non-equipped vehicle as well. Basically, the subwoofer and components are strictly "service parts" and not intended for an add-on accessory feature. Additionally, we have not seen or heard of anything in the works in the future for this car, the sedan, or the Miata.

I apologize that the subwoofer cannot be added on to your vehicle. I hope this explanation was clear. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance or answer any additional questions."

I believe most of that I suppose. I am unsure whether to believe the part about the harness being incompatible with the "non-equipped" vehicles. I seriously doubt they changed the head units on Protege5s exclusively to accommodate the subwoofer. As I am not that interested anymore, I do not plan to further pursue the matter with Mazda.
  • icvciicvci Posts: 1,031
    Anyone with a cargo tray? Likes/dislikes? Price and where to buy.

Any info would be helpful.
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    I have it and really like it. I don't worry about how much dirty stuff I put back there and then just scub it when it gets really dirty. Much easier than trying to get stuff out of the carpet.

I bought it from mazdastuff.com, but can't remember what I paid. It appears to be $39 now.

I also have the cargo net, which I really like, but my wife thinks is the dumbest thing ever.
    I just got one. It seemed prudent since we got rid of the Cherokee. Seems like it will hold up well. I got mine from Mazdastuff. $39 is a good value IMO.
    Just ordered from mazdastuff.com.
  • manavimanavi Posts: 150
    I noticed that the rear doors in my 2001 Protege ES have speaker grills, but no speakers. Does anyone know if the rear doors are pre-wired for speakers?
    No, they are not pre-wired, but it would not be too hard to do if you wanted. The problem is, you can only put 6.5" speakers back there, and clearance is a little tight. They are so low on the door, that the sound pretty much gets lost. I noticed this after upgrading the ones in my P5. I would recommend against it, unless you are planning to upgrade the head unit and add an amp with which you could turn up the gain to compensate.
    Damn Boggse, you're everywhere!

Question on tires? Boggse has the answer.

Question on speakers? Boggse to the rescue.

Why don't you just give me your private email address so I can send my questions to you directly?

Anyways, I was actually playing around with the idea of putting in a 4-channel amp and using 2 channels to power the rear door speakers and bridging the other 2 channels into a subwoofer.

I just assumed that if I add more speakers, I would have a better sounding system. It seems like the more speakers you add, the better sound you get.
    The amp will only get you halfway there. The stock head unit doesn't like to play with amps. The resulting sound is not very good. If you add an amp and speakers, I would plan on a new head unit as well.
    New head unit? Nah. Like I said, I was just toying with the idea anyways. Now it sounds like too much trouble.

Any experience with putting new speakers into the front? I was thinking about component speakers.

I actually already replaced the rear deck speakers with a pair of 6X9 Sony 3-ways. There were some 4-ways that I actually liked better, but Best Buy had a good deal going on the Sony 3-ways.

Last week I listened to some Harmon Kardon 6.5" component speakers that sounded great ... but Best Buy wants $190 for them!
    They are easier than the rear deck install. I have some pictures at my home page:

http://homepage.mac.com/tboggs

I just put in the Mazda Kenwood 6x8s in my P5. They are Kenwood eXcelons pre-wired for the stock wiring harnesses. List price is $150. I got mine from Mazdastuff.com for $104. The 2003 already has tweeters mounted on the window garnish plate, so I didn't consider components.

When I had my 2001 Protege ES, I put in 3-way Kenwood KFC-688Cs. They were around $79. I like the Mazda supplied 2-ways in my 2003 better.
    I was reading latest Motor Trend comparo of the SRT4, SVT Focus and the Mazdaspeed Protege and noticed the dash on the Pro is the same as the P5's.

I wonder how much it'd cost to get the brackets and filler trim so a regular sized head unit would fit AND look factory. A good sounding head unit can be had from Crutchfield for $200 and, the wiring isn't difficult. Of course, if you want to retain the 6 disc in-dash changer, you're going to pay more.
    From Mazda is about $90. I'm sure someone has posted the part number before. Best place to look for one is in a junk yard on 99 or 00 models.
    Your web page is nice and clean. Good look. We've got a G4 at home, nice most of the time. I wish more of the net was Mac friendly though.

The Miata looks fantastic.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    That's the option I went for when I put in an aftermarket head unit.

Wiring wouldn't have been too bad, but I couldn't dislodge a plastic fastener holding the factory wiring to a metal brace. This severely limited how far out I could pull the wiring. Oh well, I guess I could have cut the back side of the fastener and then taped the wire harness back in place.
    So, are the front speakers in the 2001 ES 6.5" cones or 6X8?
    In the front doors of my 2001 ES and my 2003 P5.
    Thanks. .Mac makes it so easy that I really can't take much credit. I have a 600Mhz iBook at home and a G4 Dual 867 at work. I find very few sites I can't get to work, but I do have to use multiple browsers to accomplish that. I am currently re-ripping all of my tunes in AAC format to recover about 25% of my hard disk on the iBook. Once I get the Head Units replaced in my P5 and Miata, I will have no more need for CDs or cassettes. I'll just bring my iPod with me and plug it into the HU.
    Two browsers, that's my point. My work email won't work without IE and my home email doesn't work with NN.

Are you an AD?
    I use Safari when possible with Netscape as my backup. I keep IE around just in case of an emergency.

AD?? Athletic Director? Anno Domini?
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    with Outlook for Work and Outlook Express for Home.
    Started trying out Foxmail at home. Far better than Outlook Express so far.
    Art Director - adspeak for a design guy. Guess not if you don't know what I'm reffering to : )

Safari? Outlook? My wife is the Mac whiz. I know my way around a PC pretty well but the Mac throws me off a bit.
    No, I am an IT guy. UNIX System Admin.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    And gets to use one at work. I'm surrounded by a sea of Dells, but have only Macs at home. They're usually better thought-out and constructed.

I have to admit, I've really liked my iPod too, especially on the open, endless freeways. The new one looks really nice (thinner, and the front edge of the plastic face is now nicely rounded instead of sharp).

My Macs are older though: 350 iMacDVse, G3 desktop (upgraded to a 400MHz G4), 500Mhz "iceBook". I haven't seen sufficient need to upgrade to anything current (though that 12in G4 Powerbook is one nice package), so I'm hanging out until they move to the next processor.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,024
    ...I thought this was about Protege A&M? ;-)

Please take the computer talk to the Protege Posse discussion.

Thanks!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

I found the following in the Protege FAQ on the MazdaUSA web site:

"What is the stereo output and speaker size?
                     The stereo output is 100 watts maximum, which is 25 watts x 4 speakers. The RMS (median, or root means square) is a measurement of peaks of wattage, and it's 12 watts x4 speakers. The front speaker size is 5x7-inch, and the rear speaker size is 6x9-inch."

Not sure exactly what this means for the 6 speaker set up.
    I thought I read somewhere else that the front speakers were 6X8's.
    Essentially the same thing. I think Mazda actually uses cm to measure things like this, so they probably fall somewhere in between. Either size will fit in the opening.
    That's good to know. I've been eyeing a pair of Pioneer 6X8's for the front. They're 4-way speakers. I've seen them on Ebay for $50.
This discussion has been closed.