Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    look at the link i posted in the main Protege thread...
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    also look at the DG Motorsports one I posted on the main Protege thread. I have seen their products in person, very good quality.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    I'm glad your BF Goodrich Traction T/As are working well for you. You sound well too, I hope that is the case.

I figured I shouldn't respond in the P&S board....don't need to augment that message count needlessly. :)

We haven't had much snow yet (lucky), but some ice. I've been OK so far on the Falkens. My driveway has only a slight slope to it so it's not challenging to drive up it when it's slippery (one thing we looked for when house-shopping).

Keep us posted on the tires. My wife's being pretty easy on her stock Dunlops, but I want to keep an eye out for replacements in a couple of years when the rubber gets too old (she let her Dunlop D60A2s on her Saturn get too old and the sidewall on one blew...those things were probably 7 yrs old then...she puts those kinds of things off for too long (I kept bugging her to get new tires)...guess who ended up changing out her blown tire in the blowing snowstorm)? She was lucky. It blew on a local road just before she was to get onto the freeway, so she was able to limp into a gas station safely.

Anyway, I'm changing out the tires on her P5 in 2-3 years no matter how much tread is left so that doesn't happen again. She's gotten pretty good wear out of her Dunlops, unlike some. She's over 30k and has about 50-60% of the original tread left.

And I just put a new battery in my iPod. 20 hours of run-time! Now that's cool. That's enough for even international flights (though I hope I won't have to go on any for work any time soon). It was time; its original battery was lasting only 3-4 hours. It was pretty easy too, especially with the plastic tools that came with the battery.

Anyway, happy holidays and take care!
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    Your wife must be the most gentle driver in the world! I can't believe she gets so much time on her tires.

Cool about the iPod battery. My new iPod is under the tree just waiting for Christmas day!
    I bet your anticipation for the iPod is killer. :)

The Falken ZE-512s are not as good on snow as the Dunlop SP Sport A2s I last had on my LX. But apparently they're better than the Dunlop SP5000 on my wife's P5. Yeah, she's pretty easy in corners (they inspected her tires this morning at the dealership and they have over 50% tread left with 31k miles). She's just a leadfoot on the freeway. :)

Anyway, the tires are OK accelerating and cornering. They're worse at stopping, but it's all manageable. It's not bad enough I'll get snow tires as it doesn't snow that much here. However, I'll probably check out the BG Goodrich Traction T/As the next time around and the 4th (and probably last) set of tires I buy for my LX will be what I consider did the best. :)
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    A reporter would like to talk with anyone fitting the following profile...."I'd love to find some folks who've modified their own rides. I'm particularly interested in people who've done this for the first time and were driven to do it, at least in part, from watching a tv show like Pimp My Ride, Overhaulin' or something similar. I'm looking for average drivers who are just discovering that they can personalize their rides. I'm not as interested in the traditional tuner crowd who've been doing this for years."

If you have a story to share, please send your name, daytime contact info and a line or two about your vehicle to jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, December 29, 2004.
    "It's not bad enough I'll get snow tires as it doesn't snow that much here."

Did you enjoy all the snow! :)
    Aside from the fact our street never got a decent plowing, it wasn't bad. I had enough vacation days that I was able to stay home during the really nasty stuff. It made for a beautiful white Christmas (though I'm sure that didn't make it up enough for those stuck while traveling).

The day after the snow (my last day of the year in the office), I heard on the radio that my employer had closed for the day. :)

I ventured out on Saturday to take my daughter sledding. The Falkens did OK in most respects except in braking. They slide real easily, perhaps due to its unidirectional design?

Anyway, forward traction is OK for an all-season tire. I just had to start slowing down waaaaay far in advance so I could brake gently. I note the BF Goodrich Traction T/A is available for order from Sam's Club and in my Protege's (and my wife's P5's) size. It's still a unidirectional tire, but the tread design looks better-suited for mud and snow use. I think that'll be the next set I put on my Pro.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    Although we didn't have as much snow as you guys, I had some difficulty getting the Falkens to stop on some icy streets we had the week before the holidays. The salt trucks hadn't been out yet, and I felt like Peggy Fleming. :P
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Ottawa, Canada's capital, recently had some of its severest winter weather: icy rain followed by snow followed by a one day melt followed by icy rain. It's interesting that in these conditions the driving appeared to improve; could it be that facing such an extreme test that many drivers realize they have been bested by mother nature and need to adapt? Keeping a judicious distance, driving at a more moderate rate, signalling lane changes : all these were more in evidence this last week. Then again, there were reports of hundreds of fender benders so maybe I'm kidding myself.

Riding on the Goodrich Winter Slaloms reduced the stress and added to my sense of security. Love those winter tires!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,893
    Hope you can join us tonight for the first chat of the new year. Everything automotive is fair game, and the planning continues for our "meet up" to the Philadelphia Auto Show in Feb! Hope to see you there!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

The MAZDA MANIA chat is on TONIGHT. Join us for the '05 season of chat! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

They'll soon be standard on all GM factory stereos. Unfortunately for them, the only vehicles that even remotely appeal to me are the Cobalt, Vibe and Aura.

Now if Mazda would get off their rear and do something like that, there'd be one less reason for me NOT to consider a Mazda as my next vehicle. Of course, I'd prefer if they'd get away from the trend of heavily customized center stacks that make it difficult, if not impossible, to put in aftermarket gear. I'm seriously thinking Hyundai or Honda because of this.
    That's cool, since my next car might very well be a G6 convertible. Although with the amount of companies that provide aux input converters now, my demand for factory has diminished somewhat.
    With many auto mfrs putting in custom center stacks to accommodate NAV systems and the like.

Some aftermarket companies provide replacement faceplates (like for the current Accord) that make putting in aftermarket head units easier, but you usually lose some of the functions the factory unit had.

I despise that trend, since I usually prefer the power and sound of aftermarket components (I do prefer the user interface of factory head units as they usually offer larger buttons and dials than aftermarket units do).
  • civiletticiviletti Posts: 86
    Has anyone replaced the cd/receiver in a '99 or newer Pro? How difficult was it? What adapters wre needed other than those supplied with the replacement deck?
    It was fairly easy, even though I wasn't supplied an adapter by the retailer. It took me 3 hours with me figuring out what wire went to what pin in my JVC unit. If I had an adapter, it would've taken less than 30 minutes. Get a Ford-compatible head unit removal tool set to remove the factory head unit (the ends of the tools go into the 4 holes, two on each side of the head unit).

Use a small precision flat-head screwdriver to pry off the two plastic panels that cover the 4 holes (one cover at each end of the head unit face). Insert the removal tools until you hear clicks. Then pull out the head unit and detach the wiring harness connector, antenna and ground cable. Reattach cables and wire harnesses (and adapters) in reverse order.

If you don't have an adapter, then you'll want to have a multimeter handy to identify the wires in the harness to match them to your new head unit's pins. I can provide a graphic showing the wires in my '99 Pro LX, if you want (I have to draw one more legible than the one scribbled in my notepad). If I could have, I would've purchased one. Crutchfield sometimes provides them. The place I bought mine from didn't.
  • driv3rdriv3r Posts: 2
    I see that the protege radio is larger then a "normal sized" car radio... does this mean that you have to replace it with a radio of the same size... If so or if not... Please explain how this is managed.
  • driv3rdriv3r Posts: 2
    I figured it out through crutchfield's website. :shades: Ignore my blabbering.
  • rcolonrcolon Posts: 1
    My name is Robert I saw your reply on this message and I have a few questions of my own I am fixing my 92 protege up for car show and I need help finding part for example I am looking for a body kit, clear tail lights and see if I could change the headlights for right now that is what I'm looking for.

thanks
    Robert

P.S. I would appreciate all the help I can get.
    thanks, mazdafun
  • I want to modify my 99 pro lx i want a spoiler, something to add the power and to get it for cheap. secondly i was wonderin if someone could explain hp and torque and is 10 hp more really a difference
    I successfully replaced the schizzy cd deck in my '99 es with an alpine CDE-9841 [$110 at BestBuy]. I skipped their "free" installation. The wire harness kit I bought at Fry's [$15] was worth the cost as their is no indication of the functions of the factory wiriing, and the colors indicated by the Hayne's guide were incorrect. the hardest part was clearing the wires behind the unit so it would slide in far enough to engage the mouhting clips. It sounds great, somewhat better than the stock deck.

I installed the same deck in my '94 B4000, so I won't be confused when I change vehicles [age does that to a fellow].

Now I'm looking at speakers, LOL. some kids never grow up. the polk db series sounds quite good for the money. Any other suggestions?
    They're pretty power-efficient too.
  • sirgunitsirgunit Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 Protege Lx and i have installed a pioneer head unit and i also have two 10'' subs in my trunk and i want to install some 6x9 speakers. There seems to be a spot where speakers could go in the rear door but i do not know if you can install them there and how. I have looked every where to find out how but haven't found anything yet i was wondering if anyone would know if so email me on how please!
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 552
    Crutchfield.com says that 5 1/4 inch speakers will fit in the rear doors of a 2000 Protege sedan.

But, why not mount two 6 1/2 inch speakers in the rear deck instead? There the highs will bounce off the rear window and probably give you a better effect than rear door speakers anyway, IMO.

Or, if you already have speakers in the rear deck, what can be gained by adding rear door speakers?
    I already have speakers in the rear and i wanted to know because i am entering my car in a stereo system contest and that would help boost the sound i already have two piooner 6x9 in the back so i thought maybe i could fit some more on the door. You know anywhere i can find instructions on how to install them? I want my cars music to be as loud as possible here!
    could you make the 6x9s fit in the front door even though they are made for 6x8s?
  • alternatoralternator Posts: 552
    I had not looked at Crutchfield in some time, so I misread their recommendation which is 6x8 for front doors, 6x9 for rear deck and 5 1/4 for rear doors. A 6x8 designed for high output (efficiency) should match most 6x9s for your purpose (and a number of manufacturers now make 6x8s).

I don't believe the addition of two 5 1/4 rear door speakers will add much to the perceived loudness. I am no expert in the "loud music" field, just offering my opinion.
    They lack wiring, so you'll have to get the wire harnesses that are used in the P5 (which has its rear speakers in the rear doors since it lacks a rear shelf).

The P5 uses 5-1/4 speakers in the rear doors. You probably will want to invest in additional amps to drive the additional speakers.

Look at getting component tweeters in the front doors as well. Again, look at P5 wire harnesses to put these into your sedan. I think a cross-over splits the signal to the front speakers off to the tweeters.

Good luck and have fun. Try not to blow out your eardrums. :)