Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

1343536373840»

Comments

• gmoneigmonei Posts: 7
    CAN A MAZDASPEED PROTEGE ENGINE BE PUT IN A 99 PROTEGE LX WITHOUT CHANGING THE TRANSMISSION?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,859

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Are expensive plugs and wires like NGK or other brands worth it for performance? Also, is iridium any better that platimum? Thanks
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Why not go with what is recommended by Mazda? Based on what I've read, unless you do some extreme driving or racing, upgraded plugs and wires may not be worth the extra money. Of course, the companies selling these materials may see it differently. ;)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,322
    You might get longer life with upgraded wires, but I haven't had a problem with the regular wires. I checked them every 15k miles (when I replace my plugs), and replaced mine @ 60k miles (mine measured 3500 and 4000 ohms when I replaced them - the new ones were around 1700 - replacement is called for if they exceed 7000 ohms, I think). I put on the miles slowly, so I'm still working on the second set. :)

Anyway, avoid the multi-tip plugs (like Splitfire). They caused premature ignition and knocking in my '89 323LX. I went back the the 99 cent Champions and things went back to normal. I'd skip the other fancy types of plugs too.
  • I just finished my 4 hour process of pulling my deck on my 03'.
    I had the same problem, I went to local shop and we tried for about 30 minutes. I had to tear my cab apart to access from the back and the left side was indeed belt. This seems to be an awfully big coincidence. That's DIRTY!!
  • Anyone know where I could buy just the CD cage for my 03' Protege5?
  • Hey everybody. Im new so forgive me if I am a repeater.

Im from Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada, and I own a 2001 Protege LX 2.0

Im looking to turbocharge my mazda and was wondering if anyone has done the same to there baby? Was it worth it? How much fun was it to do?

Does anyone know what kind of tolerences a stock 2.0L has when concidering turbo? Or maybe there is a place online where i could find stuff like that out?

Love the forum. TTYL
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    The easiest way to turbocharge is to buy the Mazdaspeed 3 which gets you a 264 hp car. A cheaper way would be to buy the turbo "kit" from Mazda for the Mazdaspeed Protege, that gets you a 170 hp car. The cheapest and quickest way, may be to buy a used Mazdaspeed Protege.

Alternatively, Mazda may eventually bring over one of their Mazda diesels which are reputed to have great torque.
  • Please send me an email with info will greatly apprieciate that.
  • try themazdaforum.com, mazdas247.com
  • In my experience with any japanese car you are better off running ngk spark plugs.
  • krzykj1krzykj1 Posts: 3
    Searching for answers- HELP PLEASE ! I have 2000 Mazda Protege ES that came standard w/ a 1.8 ltr engine. I bought this car used & love it. Problem : While changing the timing belt & parts, I have found out that the engine was changed to a 2001 2.0 ltr ES. I keep coming up with Engine Codes will not reset readings, every time I try to have an emissions inspection done. Have gone through MUCH grief with the state of NC & quite a few insp. stations. What, if anything can be done ? I'd like to keep it & drive it.
  • pfunk3pfunk3 Posts: 2
    dose anyone know if i can use aftermarket body kits from say like a 4 door civic and place them on my car or is it just a no go?