Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516

@Kirstie@Edmunds said: True, but sometimes a simple follow-up question can make it answerable. "What happens when you try?" is a good start. Most people ask questions like that because they have no idea how vehicles and engines work, and aren't aware that a multitude of issues could cause such a problem.

As a career IT/programming guy (my day job), I get similar questions from friends who want help with their computer. For cars and computers, troubleshooting and diagnosis is usually about a brief Q&A exchange... and a bit of patience.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,112

I note that the compose box no longer auto-expands when you navigate into it to quote a post and write a response. You can expand it manually but it used to do that automatically. Not easy to navigate in the mail slot that is there now.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979

I wonder if it was a temporary glitch -- is it still doing (or not doing) that for you? It expanded for me using Firefox.

@ab348 said: I note that the compose box no longer auto-expands when you navigate into it to quote a post and write a response. You can expand it manually but it used to do that automatically. Not easy to navigate in the mail slot that is there now.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,286
    edited April 12

In IE and Chrome, after I select Quote, I have to click somewhere in the compose box in order for the quote to "automatically" expand.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,371
    edited April 12

In IE and Chrome, after I select Quote, I have to click somewhere in the compose box in order for the quote to "automatically" expand.

Firefox is missing the "arrow" in the lower right corner of the box to grab to pull it open further. The box is clunky in how it does open. Using the upper right double arrows will open things but then I'm on a different page and can't refer to the post to which I'm responding.

In IE8 there is no ability to grab the lower right corner of the box to change it. Of course I'm on XP, so that might be a factor there.

Last weekend I recall someone saying they were working on the arrows for FireFox.

edited April 12

Well, just now I tried to quote you @imidazol97, and the comment box didn't expand when I clicked in it.

In IE8 there is no ability to grab the lower right corner of the box to change it.

In IE11, there's nothing in the lower right either.

XP? I'd razz you but my both cars are as old as your 2001 operating system so I guess I should keep my mouth shut. My rides are getting pretty ratty though. :D

@Stever@Edmunds said: XP?

I have a copy of Win7 Pro, I think it is, to try to get running on this HP laptop. I should have moved to Vista..., but that's not a good choice.

I'd razz you but my both cars are as old as your 2001 operating system so I guess I should keep my mouth shut. My rides are getting pretty ratty though. :D

My 98 leSabre got to 200,560 mi and it turned into something else. Due to lots of discounts and a willing saleslady we got a car with heated seats but no sunroof and no navigation. I'm old and set in my ways just like I've been about keeping XP.

The posting windows are a minor inconvenience for me. I just click inside and paste what I've copied. Then I add a bunch of linefeeds to get room within the window.

Even more odd is how vanilla decides what to copy from the original post when I click on the "Quote" button. Sometime there's nothing other than the @johnlennon and others it will give the last paragraph of a multiple paragraph response to the quoted part in the post to which I'm trying to respond. Just erratic from what I can glean. But there must be an algorithm behind it.

edited April 12

Ya, the quoting behavior isn't consistent for me. I usually just want to quote part of a sentence anyway so I typically just copy and then paste after a inserting a right angle (>).

(My proposed strategy of waiting for the 2015 cars is failing btw; I'm afraid my two beaters will be disappearing sooner than later. Funny, when it comes to software, I often run the beta stuff, but I run my cars into the ground).

edited April 12

@Stever@Edmunds said: In IE and Chrome, after I select Quote, I have to click somewhere in the compose box in order for the quote to "automatically" expand.

It did and does do that in Firefox, which is what I use, but was not doing it last night when I posted. Today it is back to auto-expand. Weird.

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,578

@Stever@Edmunds said: I'd razz you but my both cars are as old as your 2001 operating system so I guess I should keep my mouth shut. My rides are getting pretty ratty though. :D

Uh, no, Steve, your cars are much older, so you better shut it! :p

2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,913

Quoting a post that has a quote from a prior post is also different. If, for example, I click Quote on wes post just above where he quotes Steve, it inserts the @xwesx with the right arrows, but nothing else and the box doesn't expand, but that seems to be because there's nothing to expand to.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• boogmcboogmc Posts: 2
    HELP!!!! HOW DO I UNSUBSCRBE! !!! Omg, too many emails in my inbox. I'm getting ever bodies get ions for some reason. It's CRAZY!!!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,747

I just entered a rather long post in a discussion and pressed Post Comment. The Leave a Comment box cleared, but my post wasn't posted. Also, unlike the previous version of the Forums, there's no way to go back to the previous page, see your post there, and try it again. So the post was lost in the ether. No indication of any problem in the Forums when this happened.

@backy said: there's no way to go back to the previous page, see your post there, and try it again. So the post was lost in the ether.

Is it in the My Drafts in the box at right?

edited April 19

I don't see any My Drafts, anywhere on the page. Not sure why I would, as I'm sure I pressed Post Comment, not Save Draft.

Edit: I just tried saving a Draft. That shows up in My Drafts. Nothing else, though.

@backy, found it. For some reason the automated spam filter grabbed it and held it for moderation. Your post has been restored and the spam filter has been informed that you are one of the "good guys". Sorry for the confusion.

Spam!! Well, now I know in what regard my posts are held. :)

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,371
    edited April 19

@backy said: Spam!! Well, now I know in what regard my posts are held. :)

Spam filters have a strange sense of humor. I know this from experience.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

edited April 20

Don't you miss the Nike ads? Remember, "Comfort in the exercise would be obtained if we wear equipment or supplies for the sport." B)

Under our usernames in the box at the right, there is a row of markers: Feature, Promote, Like, LOL, Abuse.

What do the Feature and Promote mean? How are they used?

edited April 25

Here's the nutshell version:

The Promote button is a way to promote the best posts in the community. If you go to the Best Of link, you'll see that I just "promoted" your post about the lack of spam around the forums. Best of posts also get "promoted" by the reactions the post receives.

The Feature button shows up on the first post of a discussion and enables that discussion to be "featured" on the forums landing page. This discussion was featured early on but has rolled down in the list of featured discussions.

• I need help on a project, how many Mercedes B enz were sold in 1999 in Florida?

@research123 said: I need help on a project, how many Mercedes B enz were sold in 1999 in Florida?

Maybe try contacting M-B USA headquarters?

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Would it be possible to have a default text box for posting that is a bit taller than the mail slot we have now? Even when you (a) quote another post and (b) that actually works properly, until you click into the box you don't see what you've quoted. I can't imagine why the default box is so small.

Still not a fan of this software at all. It all looks so cobbled-together...

If the default text box was larger, less content would be displayed. In general, I find that I'm replying to the latest post in a discussion, (not always, but most of the time) and that post and the text box fit nicely on my screen. Everything is always some kind of trade-off :)

Maybe you reply to the last post most of the time, but those of us who don't visit as often may not. I don't understand your rationale. A text box less than 2 lines high seems absurd.

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,023

@ab348 said: Maybe you reply to the last post most of the time, but those of us who don't visit as often may not. I don't understand your rationale. A text box less than 2 lines high seems absurd.

@ab348 said: Would it be possible to have a default text box for posting that is a bit taller than the mail slot we have now? Even when you (a) quote another post and (b) that actually works properly, until you click into the box you don't see what you've quoted. I can't imagine why the default box is so small.

Still not a fan of this software at all. It all looks so cobbled-together...

Have you tried "toggle to to full page"?

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.